Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
October 31st, 2006 at 03:59am
CristhyneS:
Lucifers Angel:
CristhyneS:
Lucifers Angel:
depression is the most common form of illness in uk and it is one of the hardest to diagnose, once you are on anti depression tablets like Prozac or Valium you start feeling better only for a short time they are not a cure they are just keeping the depreesion at bay for a while at least.

I've been depressed, on and off, for quite a while. I was in anti-depressants for most of this year and after stop taking the meds I decided not to take anymore.

I asked to my psychiatrist(sp) at some point, to switch my meds because I was really uncomfortable with some of the side effects that I was presenting and they were actually making me feel worst, and they weren't really working ofr me, or so I felt.

So she dicreased(ps) my dosis and then got me off of them completely to then swith to a new brand or something. however she was in her two weeks long vacation or something by the time I stopped the meds completelly and during that period of time I just came down to a way lower down than I had been before.

I would either not give a damn about anything or just want to kill myself right away, it was always the two extremes, no in-betweens or anything. Just liek some else already said, I could go for a week or more without washing my hair, nad lot of etc's.

Before being put on the meds I had had a chat with a person from GSB, precisly, and he had told me that anti.depressants weren't a good idea. It wasn't up to mein that moment, as my famiyl as really worried, and I really didn't have an opinion about it as I saw a lot of pro's on anti.depressants, but also bad things. But after I left the anti-depressants last agusut I did realize that everything he said was right.

Those meds were basically making me numb. What happened when I stopped taking them wasthat all the reality that I had been ignoring for the past months came to me and hit me and just made me fel evne worse, because during thsoe months tings got worse around me too. I then told my psychiatrist I didnt want anymore meds, and my advice for anyone would be nto to take the meds. They just pospone the time for you to face reality and solve your problems, or at least try to, depending on wich your problems are.

And I liked the fact that the frist post pointed out the difference that depression isn't a synonym of suicide and self-harm.

i have a lot of expierance with depression i lived with a woman who was depressed for a long time she was my mum, i have a child who is 14 and on prozac, and i myself am on prozac, yes i agree with you these meds make you numb, but if it is to bad then people should go back to they're docs and talk to them about it, and depression is a cause of suicide and self harm, also depression can also make you feel on top of the world at one minute and then down the next, and yeah i also agree with your point that they just postpone you facing up to the reality of what is making you depressed, but they do help some people respond to it differantly.

I know people respond to them differently, I know *I* reached a point where I didn't want those meds anymore. Some people never reach such a point and instead want to continue on their meds, some become addicts to their anti-depressants. But I think for everyone, the outcome when they stop taking the tablets it's the same: we all have to face our reality and whatever has dragged us to depression as the only way to get over it. I've heard that meds can do ownders to some people, by giving them mroe time to figure things out, but that's not what I've seen from my own experience and the experiences of people I know. I think they make you numb and make you kind of ignroe your own reality, or at least not see it as your own reality (that was my case) but then you'll jsut have to face it, sooner or later, and for me that was worst that my initial depression. Same for my aunt, who always go back to anti.depressants jsut a few weeks after stop taking them. But yes, if you're feeling bad after quiting your meds you should go back to your Doc. and talk about it. And I know SI and suicide can be caused by depression. Self-destructives habits were what made my family send me to a doc. [b]But I think that suicida thoughts should be the only extreme to justify putting someone on meds.
[/b]

and there are other many many feelings of depression, me i lost my father in law, and was a victim of Munchousens (SP) and i needed these meds to make me cope with reality and life, because before them i was a mess of nothing and all i would think about was death and thinking of ways to kill myself so that it wouldnt hurt my children.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
October 31st, 2006 at 08:56am
Lucifers Angel:

and there are other many many feelings of depression, me i lost my father in law, and was a victim of Munchousens (SP) and i needed these meds to make me cope with reality and life, because before them i was a mess of nothing and all i would think about was death and thinking of ways to kill myself so that it wouldnt hurt my children.
There was really no need to quote that whole pyramid. ._.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
October 31st, 2006 at 09:19am
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
Lucifers Angel:

sorry. Embarassed
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
October 31st, 2006 at 09:57am
Lucifers Angel:
Snoo4Duggi4eva:

sorry. Embarassed
That's okay. I was just in a bad mood and felt the need to take it out on you. But we're really not meant to make quote pyramids so try not to do so in the future. Wink
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
October 31st, 2006 at 09:58am
"salutes"
suzie_k
Falling In Love With The Board
suzie_k
October 31st, 2006 at 11:13am
I was diagnosed 2 years ago with S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
Which mostly occurs during Autumn/Winter months and is caused but not getting enough Vitamin D from the sun.
So you can go into a light box. A light box is something along the lines of a sun bed but not for tanning.
But I stopped taking meds after 6 months because I thought I was fine.
I never went back to the doctor until this year because I started to get really down in myself. By that I mean I was wishing that when morning came around I wouldn't wake up. I get very anxious and nervous during "episodes" and if I have noting to do I rub and scratch my hands till they are raw. It's something I can't help. It's like a nervous twitch. And I cry. ALOT
So I spoke to the doctor and told him that really it had been on going on since I was about 13/14 but we always put it down to hormones.
So he sent me to a shrink back in August who said that it was my personality cycle. But since then I seem to be the same and the doctor is going to send me to the shrink again.
So yeah that’s the down times. Then you have the high times, which I adore. I go out a lot, I spend loads of money, I laugh loads, talk fast and generally feel unstoppable. But I have learned that the higher I go the further I have to fall into the depression.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
October 31st, 2006 at 11:28am
I have not experienced depression and for some twisted reason, it interests me. I did a project on it in eight grade, which was a film that ended with my friend killing her self with Tic-Tacs (overdose).

So um, from what I know, depression isn't constant sadness or what have you. It's a lack of emotion. I think my interest springs from the fact that the Dementors (from the Harry Potter series) are the personification of depression. JK Rowling modeled them after her own battle with the disease.

When you feel on top of the world one minute and feel like crap the next, I believe that's called manic depression. I've read a lot of anecdotes and stuff by people facing depression.

I suppose I kind of understand how anti-depressants could make you feel numb. They're supposed to regulate your seratonin and endorphins and hormones and things, so that you're at a reasonable mood most of the time.

Having been lucky enough to not face it, I always figured that the reason a lot of depressed people choose to kill themselves is because they really can't feel. Like, what's the point of being alive if you're always the same always in this dull cloud of an existance type of thing. I think.

There was a time when I was actually scared because I thought I was sinking into depression. It was frightening. I cried almost all the time. I wouldn't talk to anyone at school. When my old friends came online, I would talk to them for a few minutes and tell the to fuck off.

But it passed. I'm safe.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
October 31st, 2006 at 11:58am
lyrical_gaah52:
I have not experienced depression and for some twisted reason, it interests me.
I kind of understand that. o__o
Like, things like this are actually rather interesting. Maybe it's because they're a bit 'abnormal' or something. I don't know. I've always been interested in diseases and illnesses and stuff like that.
suzie_k
suzie_k
October 31st, 2006 at 12:28pm
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
lyrical_gaah52:
Like, things like this are actually rather interesting. Maybe it's because they're a bit 'abnormal' or something. I don't know. I've always been interested in diseases and illnesses and stuff like that.

I think it's interesting too.
Just the fact that people who do suffer from it have no real reason. Where as you have peopled who have had major upset and don't suffer depression to the same extent.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
October 31st, 2006 at 01:17pm
suzie_k:
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
lyrical_gaah52:

Just the fact that people who do suffer from it have no real reason. Where as you have peopled who have had major upset and don't suffer depression to the same extent.
My mum said that some people have suggested that it's an imbalance in chemicals in the brain. Think
I really don't know that much about depression, though, that's why I made this thread. Retard
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
October 31st, 2006 at 01:17pm
suzie_k:
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
lyrical_gaah52:

you dont have to have a reason to suffer from this illness. In my case i do, you dont have to have a big upset to suffer from it.
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
October 31st, 2006 at 01:55pm
I'm sure I'm depressed. Very sure. I can't bring myself to talk to anyone about it, because the people I've tried with have told me I'm being stupid, or to just 'get help'. I'm almost 100% sure that I have borderline personality disorder, which usually causes severe depression, but NO ONE will take me seriously. Most days for almost 2 months I've just cried for no real reason other than I miss my ex. 2 months? That's pathetic by most people's standards. Even while I was with him I was constantly breaking down because I couldn't cope - that's why we split up in the first place. I've panicked over what people think of me for years, and now I just break down about it.

Does anyone else think that they might be depressed, but no one's taking them seriously?
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
October 31st, 2006 at 01:56pm
Ginger Nuts:
I'm sure I'm depressed. Very sure. I can't bring myself to talk to anyone about it, because the people I've tried with have told me I'm being stupid, or to just 'get help'. I'm almost 100% sure that I have borderline personality disorder, which usually causes severe depression, but NO ONE will take me seriously. Most days for almost 2 months I've just cried for no real reason other than I miss my ex. 2 months? That's pathetic by most people's standards. Even while I was with him I was constantly breaking down because I couldn't cope - that's why we split up in the first place. I've panicked over what people think of me for years, and now I just break down about it.

Does anyone else think that they might be depressed, but no one's taking them seriously?

i domt think its pathetic, people get depreesed for many reasons
CristhyneS
Jackass
CristhyneS

Mibba
October 31st, 2006 at 04:39pm
suzie_k:
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
lyrical_gaah52:

It doesn't work like that. As lyrical said, it's also related to a hormones imbalance in your brain, so if you have a hormonal imbalence you can also feel the symptoms of depression even if you haven't got a trigger.

As well as are usually the smallest things to trigger people off. Some people can get through the lost of someone they loved or stuff like that without really going down, and suddenly one day they get home and find that the TV ir broken and they can just break down there and then, apperently over nothing, but it the background there's everythign that's been going on in their lives ofr a long while.

As for people not having a reason to be depressed, seriously, I think we all have problems, so majors than others, some keep them to themselves and some find it easier to talk abotu it with others, but that doens't mean that thsoe who don't talk about them don't have them, and we all react differnetly to everything.

Lucifers Angel:

Well, that's exactly the point I think I was trying to make. You said you were having suicidal thoughts and for me that's reason enough to be treated with anti-depressatns, despite the reasons why you were depressed. My depression is mostly due to the current situation of my country, there are other thigns, of course, but it's abotu that mostly, it's something colective, and I know I'm nto the only one who is dead worriedabout it to the point it's making them depressed, but if everyone with symptoms of depression in my country was to be treated with anti-depresants we all would be just to numb to even realize what our goverment is doing, we would feel away from that reality, becuase as far as I know, that's how most people feel when they're udner anti-depressants. So meds are nto a real answer for anything. You've been thinking about killing yourself because of this or that, ine, have this meds and come back next week for another consult. you've been showing thsi and thsoe sings of depression but you haven't thught about killing yourself, well, come back next week and we can have a talk, but you're nto getting meds.

That's how I think it should work.

And I do think that for people who's had suicidal thoughts, they should have the last word on thsi issue, whether they decide to take the damn meds or not.
suzie_k
suzie_k
October 31st, 2006 at 07:59pm
CristhyneS:
suzie_k:
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
lyrical_gaah52:

It doesn't work like that. As lyrical said, it's also related to a hormones imbalance in your brain, so if you have a hormonal imbalence you can also feel the symptoms of depression even if you haven't got a trigger.

As well as are usually the smallest things to trigger people off. Some people can get through the lost of someone they loved or stuff like that without really going down, and suddenly one day they get home and find that the TV ir broken and they can just break down there and then, apperently over nothing, but it the background there's everythign that's been going on in their lives ofr a long while.

As for people not having a reason to be depressed, seriously, I think we all have problems, so majors than others, some keep them to themselves and some find it easier to talk abotu it with others, but that doens't mean that thsoe who don't talk about them don't have them, and we all react differnetly to everything.

I know the resons for it but when you suffer with it you want to understand why. Yeah people tell you, you have a chemical imbalance but you always say "Why me? Why not someone who reasons to be depressed."

And for me when I'm depressed there is honestly never a reason.
It there were I would be able to say "Thats why I'm upset so I will rectify it"
But when I am depressed there really is no reason for it apart from the chemical imbalance.
the crucible.
Idiot
the crucible.
November 12th, 2006 at 07:15am
Love my insanity:
According to the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the main symptoms and signs of depression are the following:

In bold things that I do/have:

Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex (no, I mean hobbies, not sex)
Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down"
Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
Thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
Restlessness, irritability
Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain

I copied this from a site. I hope I dont get in trouble for it.

I guess I'm depressed, then. Crying or Very sad

No, I'm not happy that I'm not happy. I'm just not happy. I'd like to have a normal, happy life, really. And I'm not posting this to draw attention to myself. I'm being truthful. Why to you guys and not people I know, I dunno. I guess I feel more safe with you than with people who are supposed to my friends.
Banach95
Banach95

Mibba Blog
November 12th, 2006 at 07:42am
I can actually say I have a huge amount of experiance in this subject. Between myself, my family and my former job working with mentally ill adults(recieved a ton of training there about ALL mental illnesses) I can safely say I have a clue about depression.

Let's start with my own credentials aka my dianosis:

AXIS I- Major Depression; SEVERE, RECURENT
AXIS II- Borderline Personality Disorder

I am currently in thearpy once a week. I have had 3 overdoses and have been hosptialized 3 different times with a 4th looming in the near future. I am trying to stave it off but it's hard.

My list of meds that I have taken over the years is interesting list with all the major ones tried; Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Trazadone, Seroquel.

That's not counting the meds I was on when I was misdianosed as Bipolar; Lithium and Depakote.

I am not currently on any meds but am looking to try Cymbalta in the near future. Electro threapy is also an option that I ratehr not do but might be needed if the meds continue to not work.

Depression is an interesting creature; it affects different folks in different ways. Some can take a pill and feel better, some take a pill and get worse, while others(myself included) take a pill and nothing happens.

I have worked with folks who slowly got better and others who ended up taking their lives. I have also worked with the ones who self-medicated with drug or booze; those were the most heartbreaking of all in that job.

I am very open about my experiances. ASIDE from being a caregiver(one of my BPD traits) I feel that if I can help someone them maybe my exsistance might mean something. I moderate a support group in my area; depression Bipolar Support Alliance. http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home I highly recommend if your in the states to find a local group near your area. One of the biggest things with the support gropu is that it helps remind you that you are not alone in your depression, that tehre are others who are feeling similar feelings and together we help each other get through rough patches.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 12th, 2006 at 08:06am
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
Yes, but depression and suicide/self harm are not the same. Depression can cause suicide and self harm, but they're not the same thing and so shouldn't be covered in one thread. :]
My cousin had depression and she was on meds, but her parents didnt really took care of it. They loved her, but I think they didnt wont to admit there was something seriously wrong with her. It started with depression and she had a really heavy form of it, but I think there was something more in it. She tried to kill herself three times and I just dont get why her parents didnt took her to some institution or something. They at the age of 21, she commited suicide and nobody could save her at that time. It happened when I wasnt even born, but my mom told me that it was because of tragic love. But its foolish to kill yourself over that so I think there was something wrong with her. Maybe if she had better care it wouldnt end up this way, but I still think she would try to kill herself over and over. She had a perfect life, loving parents, she was good in school, she had friends, she was excellent in sports. I dont know much about depression so coould someome explain me why do people get depressed!?
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 13th, 2006 at 12:16pm
[Bittersweet] cant fail:
Snoo4Duggi4eva:
Yes, but depression and suicide/self harm are not the same. Depression can cause suicide and self harm, but they're not the same thing and so shouldn't be covered in one thread. :]
My cousin had depression and she was on meds, but her parents didnt really took care of it. They loved her, but I think they didnt wont to admit there was something seriously wrong with her. It started with depression and she had a really heavy form of it, but I think there was something more in it. She tried to kill herself three times and I just dont get why her parents didnt took her to some institution or something. They at the age of 21, she commited suicide and nobody could save her at that time. It happened when I wasnt even born, but my mom told me that it was because of tragic love. But its foolish to kill yourself over that so I think there was something wrong with her. Maybe if she had better care it wouldnt end up this way, but I still think she would try to kill herself over and over. She had a perfect life, loving parents, she was good in school, she had friends, she was excellent in sports. I dont know much about depression so coould someome explain me why do people get depressed!?

my son is on depression meds and he is seen by his dr once a month and so far he is doing we, we both are in fact, and i think your right if there was more for people with depression then more people will recgongise what is wrong with them and them seek help they need.
Boosh Bananas
Geek
Boosh Bananas
November 13th, 2006 at 02:41pm
i think my friend is a manic depressed because one minute shes laughing and the next shes crying on my shoulder and this is because she almost lost her father and he also hits her mother and he has to take med but according to her they dont really help coz hes gone abit weird and funny mentally and she says she doesnt feel and she never sleeps and is always grouchy and if you say somrthing wrong she bites your head off and ends up going into a mood and she also told me coz shes just recently lost a family friend she was thinking of cutting herself
Register