Depression.

AuthorMessage
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
February 6th, 2007 at 09:04pm
*ha*ha*your*screwed*:

Hey dude, here's a thought. Chill out, everyone has their opinion but this isn't the hate thread, either. This is an important thread where people talk about their experiences and thoughts, not how we pathetic it is. Since you kinda are talking with a MODERATOR you should back off (Just a suggestion), it's common sense, that's why their names are in bold. Wink[/quote]

I'm not spreading hate or anything of the sort
but there is a support thread and this is not it
and people are using this thread as a support thread

as I said

this isn't a fucking thread for talking about your personal problems
it's about raising awareness and figuring shit out that the government tends to overlook, talking about the research done, and what we should do to make it better

now, I am angry, but I'm not being hateful, just saying that we're turning this into a support thread, and then there isn't a thread for actual discussion, and making another would break the rules
ha_ha_you're_screwed
Geek
ha_ha_you're_screwed

Mibba Blog
February 6th, 2007 at 09:24pm
spill_no_sick:
*ha*ha*your*screwed*:

Hey dude, here's a thought. Chill out, everyone has their opinion but this isn't the hate thread, either. This is an important thread where people talk about their experiences and thoughts, not how we pathetic it is. Since you kinda are talking with a MODERATOR you should back off (Just a suggestion), it's common sense, that's why their names are in bold. Wink

spill_no_sick:
I'm not spreading hate or anything of the sort
but there is a support thread and this is not it
and people are using this thread as a support thread

as I said

this isn't a fucking thread for talking about your personal problems
it's about raising awareness and figuring shit out that the government tends to overlook, talking about the research done, and what we should do to make it better

now, I am angry, but I'm not being hateful, just saying that we're turning this into a support thread, and then there isn't a thread for actual discussion, and making another would break the rules

I understand but lets all be honest, not everyone goes by the rules. On the Depression thread people talk about their experiences and that reflects alot of what's on the Support Thread. There is no reason to be angry and getting pissed at a MOD won't get your point across, trust me. Very Happy
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 6th, 2007 at 09:25pm
If your personal experience has a relevance to this thread and will improve the discussion, by all means share with us.and contribute something new But if you are seeking advice, it would be better to post in the personal stuff forum where people can attempt to give you advice, your post would be better suited for that forum. No one was being intentionally hateful, it wasn't as if Nick picked someone and verbally harassed them. he was simply stating the point that this thread could be alot more successful if we actually accomplished something in our discussions.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 6th, 2007 at 09:26pm
*ha*ha*your*screwed*:

I understand but lets all be honest, not everyone goes by the rules. On the Depression thread people talk about their experiences and that reflects alot of what's on the Support Thread. There is no reason to be angry and getting pissed at a MOD won't get your point across, trust me. Very Happy
Mods are here to make sure the rules are followed, so if he thought the thread was going off topic then a Mod would be the person to talk to. Those rules werent made as a suggestion, they were intended for everyone to follow. Lets get back on topic, because this is pointless spam.
Banach95
King For A Couple Of Days
Banach95

Mibba Blog
February 7th, 2007 at 01:04am
alright let's discuss new medications for depression.

Emsam patch. I happen to be the first person at the hosptial where I went in-patent on it and also the first person at the county mental health clinic on it. I am the the experiment for it

First here's a little bit about medications that are used for depression...

Medication. There are many medications to treat depression. These drugs are divided into various classes. Each class of medication is thought to work in a different way in the brain to help relieve the symptoms of depression. They are all effective in treating depressive symptoms, but they don't work the same way for everyone. Some people may not respond to certain medications at all. Your healthcare professional will work with you to determine what is right for you.2

The way these antidepressants work is not completely understood. Most of these medications may affect 1 or more neurotransmitters (serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine).3,4

Some common types of medications include:

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which may affect serotonin5
Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), which may affect serotonin and norepinephrine5

Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs), which may affect norepinephrine and dopamine4

Tricylic antidepressants (TCAs), which may affect serotonin and norepinephrine5
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), which may affect norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin7

Emsam is a MAOI which actually were the first types of drugs used to battle depression. It's an old drug used in a new way.

MOAIs are powerful drugs that have a huge list of things tha you can't take while doing this med... You can not have any food or beverage which contains tyramine (aged cheese, meats and beer) OR ingest anything that has a decongestant in it.

Any thoughts...
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
February 7th, 2007 at 05:53pm
I'm highly suspicious of antidepressants.

You hear all the time about how they worsen the depression, or screw up your system. Even if I was prescribed them, I doubt I would take them.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 7th, 2007 at 06:59pm
WeFoundTheDuck:

You hear all the time about how they worsen the depression, or screw up your system. Even if I was prescribed them, I doubt I would take them.

anti depressents (sp) like Prozac can make your illness worse, but that is for a short time, and actaully they work really well, but they should not be taken for long periods of time, and people say that they are addictive, to a certain degree that is true, when it is time for you to come of them, the dr's will slowly ween you of them and make sure that your monitered and if they dont do that then people need to see another dr.

also people have got to remember that not every medication will suit them, it is still hit and miss with anti depressants
suicidally_insane
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
suicidally_insane

Mibba
February 7th, 2007 at 08:05pm
one time i took my dads pocket knife and was about to cut myself because my mom was giving me lots of pressure, but i put the knife down......but i did end up cutting my self a little bit cause i ran the blade across my arm a few times
no wai, Mikey Wai!
no wai, Mikey Wai!
February 7th, 2007 at 09:10pm
suicidally_insane:
one time i took my dads pocket knife and was about to cut myself because my mom was giving me lots of pressure, but i put the knife down......but i did end up cutting my self a little bit cause i ran the blade across my arm a few times

you can talk more about that in the Suicide and Self harm thread
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
February 7th, 2007 at 10:56pm
Lucifers Angel:
WeFoundTheDuck:

anti depressents (sp) like Prozac can make your illness worse, but that is for a short time, and actaully they work really well, but they should not be taken for long periods of time, and people say that they are addictive, to a certain degree that is true, when it is time for you to come of them, the dr's will slowly ween you of them and make sure that your monitered and if they dont do that then people need to see another dr.

also people have got to remember that not every medication will suit them, it is still hit and miss with anti depressants
That's why I'd rather just ride it out myself.

It seems like every time I turn around there's another story about kids getting addicted to anti-depressants, killing themselves because of them.

I don't think I'd like to take the risk of getting addicted.

I wish there were more alternatives than JUST pills and counseling.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
February 8th, 2007 at 04:43am
WeFoundTheDuck:

I was prescribed them, took them for about 2 weeks to a month, then realised it was turning me into someone I wasn't, even if I was feeling happier. Or less frustrated or whatever. So I stopped taking them and every time my mum tried to make me take them I'd tell her no until the point I would ignore her when she started up on it. I wanted to fix it myself.
Banach95
Banach95

Mibba Blog
February 8th, 2007 at 08:50am
Wow... I never realized that folks are so put off by anti-depression meds...

You can't FIX depression all by yourself. PERIOD. In order to help get out of depression you need a combination of meds AND therapy. There is no other way to do it.

Let me clear up some misconceptions about meds. Mental health meds are the hardest to get 'right' for a person. When you have high blood pressure you get a med and it works. Mental health meds aren't like that. It's a trial and error process that sometimes takes YEARS to get the correct drug 'cocktail' figured out. AND many times you get the right cocktail mix going and many months or years later it doesn't work anymore and you have to get through the finding of another cocktail that works for you.

Also many forms of mental illness are the result of a chemical imbalance. you take then take a med which rights the imbalance. You can't stop taking that med, if you do the imbalance comes back. Bi-Polar is the best example of that. If you are Bi-polar you have to take that med for the rest of your life.

Yes some anti-depressants have been shown to worsen your illness; specially in people under 18. When you take a med you are under the care of a doctor and you need to tell the doctor when you feel worse. Then you get taken off that particular med and put on another.

Another misconception is that someone takes a med and starts to feel better weeks/months later and decides 'Wow I feel great, I don't need to take this med anymore.' Then the person starts to get worse again and can't understand why. The reason that the person felt better in the first place was that the med was working and THAT'S why they felt better. In stopping the med they took away what was helping them. This is something I saw all the time when I worked with mentally ill adults. It's hard watching someone cycle on and off meds for years and they won't listen to the fact that the med was making them feel better.

Another thing that puts people off on meds are that they 'make me feel different'. Well yea... that's what it's supposed to do; make you feel different. Using myself as the example. I have been like this all my life. Suddenly I get diagnosed and now that changes my perspective on my life. I have to learn how to operate differently, since they way I was operating was 'wrong'. I thought I had to completely change the person I am because my thinking was black and white(BPD). I am in therapy including meds for my depression and I am realizing that it's really not changing ME but rather changing how I think... so in reality I'm the same person but with a different thought process.

The meds are helping me by making me balanced enough to actually do my therapy. Without the meds I would be a hell of a lot sicker... but in the beginning of my therapy process many many moons ago; I too would stop taking meds only to get sick again. I am learning to trust the meds enough so I am able to get better.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 8th, 2007 at 09:27am
Michelle makes good points. You hear all the time about how anti-depressents cause problems, alot of the time, those people werent on the correct doseage or the wrong kind of medication and it didn't agree with them. Anti-depressents can really help people.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 8th, 2007 at 03:06pm
Kurtni:
Michelle makes good points. You hear all the time about how anti-depressents cause problems, alot of the time, those people werent on the correct doseage or the wrong kind of medication and it didn't agree with them. Anti-depressents can really help people.

thats what i think aswell, if your given the right amount then they can be brillaint, but i dont belive that people kill themselves because of the medications i think they kill themselves because of the depression.
Insurgentes
Post Whore
Insurgentes

Mibba
February 8th, 2007 at 09:30pm
Some anti-depressants can induce self-harm/suicidal feelings in teenagers, a lot of them say so in the commericals.
A lot of times, I have noticed that doctors will prescribe anti-depressants to their patients, but often times they don't help and they keep their patient on it anyway. There's lots of problems with doctors not giving the right anti-depressants to their patients.
My mum recieved some of that, I think it was Zoloft from her doctor and it made her act terribly worse, then she was switched to something called Paxil (I'm not positive on the medication names that she was on, but I know she was on one anti-depressant and switched to a different one) and now she is just fine, much better than before.
abc25
abc25
February 8th, 2007 at 09:44pm
depression sucks. For those of us who have it its life its a horrible struggle we deal with everyday
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
February 9th, 2007 at 05:28am
Kurtni:

But it didn't agree with me. And idk I just wanted to do something myself, instead of relying on that. I don't know how to put it. It works for some people, but for me, it made me hate myself more because it made me realise that something really was wrong. Plus, if I kept taking those, I had to keep on seeing the councellor and that doctor and I can't think of anything I hated more than that.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
February 9th, 2007 at 03:18pm
of course they help a lot of people, but then again the suicide rate of people on anti-depressants.....not to mention they found anti-depressants in the systems of some pretty famous people

Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, Jeff Weise....
Banach95
Banach95

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2007 at 03:36pm
Right but how many of those famous people also had OTHER things found in their system (illegal drugs and/or alcoho)l?

Anti depressant meds are only as good as what else you put into your body. Taking other drugs/alcohol negates the positive effect the meds have in your system.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
February 9th, 2007 at 05:15pm
ummmm, all three of them had nothing except anti-depressants
you know who they are right?

anti-depressants can only help so much (what I was saying before) but the rest is for society to figure out

and if we want to be shallow assholes things like that happen
Register