Straight Edge

AuthorMessage
Hitchcock Starlet
Addict
Hitchcock Starlet
April 11th, 2008 at 04:47am
I agree it's a personal choice.
Nobody can tell you you have to do drugs or drink.

Personally,I'm not straight edge and I don't plan on becoming one,even if I like some straight edge bands like Minor Threat.
I occasionally drink and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
As long as it doesn't turn into getting-drunk-every-night-just-to-prove-I-can-do-it, I'm okay with it.

And just like it's a personal choice to be straight edge,it's also a personal choice not to be.
schooldropout
Banned
schooldropout

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 01:40pm
In all honesty no one can really say that because you don't know whats around the corner.
felony by lions.
Addict
felony by lions.

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 01:51pm
There's nothing wrong with being straight edge. It's a health choice really. You don't HAVE to drink or smoke so, yeah.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
April 13th, 2008 at 11:53pm
Today, I was watching a documentary about Straight Edge and they said that in Nevada Straight Edge is considered a gang. They said that people think they are bad people. Apparently some Straight Edge people would beat people that would do drugs and stuff. I always thought it was a good thing and I still do it's just those few people that have to give it a bad name.

Here's a video about it:

I didn't see the whole show, but my mom was the one that was watching it. I wanted to tell her that I considered myself straight edge, but I didn't her to think I was going to be in a "gang." The way I see it is if you want to be straight edge that's cool. But don't beat other people for doing drugs and stuff. They are the ones screwing up their lives, so to speak.

In about a year and half I'll be 21 and I always thought that I would go and drink when I was 21(I wouldn't get drunk though). But lately I have been thinking differently. My friend is having a party and there is going to be booze there. I was thinking about have one drink, but when I told my mom there was going to be booze she kept telling me that I shouldn't drink. I told her if I did I would only have one. But then she told me that anti-depressants and alcohol don't mix well. Then I decided I wouldn't drink at the party. But I was starting to wonder if I would ever drink. I could be on anti-depressants for awhile. And I was thinking it would be cool to be straight edge. I could be different from the norm. I have a year and a half to decide though.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
May 21st, 2008 at 07:19am
I am a pretty string Straight Edger.
But i'm not preachy about it.
If people wanna waste their lives, that's their descision and they can leave me out.

Alot of people i know have been hurt by drugs and alocohol.
It destroys peoples lives.

I know a girl who is such a heroin addict that she walks an hour and and a half to and from school everyday just so she can save her money for another hit.

I don't care if people see it as the latest fashion or a flavour of the week because last time i checked staying alive was the best thing you can do for yourself.

I live in Australia and it has become non-Australian not to drink and i cope alot of shit at school for my beleifs and i'm sick of it.
Some people are idiots.

Straight Edge is great
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
May 21st, 2008 at 02:18pm
ahahahaaa,
i thought 'Straight Edge' was when you embraced drugs and alchohol =/
not the other way around. I should go tell that to a girl i know because she said she got 'wasted' but yet was 'Straight Edge'

It makes me laugh when kids only say it to sound 'cool' *blush*
rise above
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
rise above
May 21st, 2008 at 06:02pm
Personally, I'm not straight edge (I guess you could call me not-edge, since I do things that straight edge rejects). I don't have any problem with people who are straight edge though. I think edge gear is pretty lame though. Like, I don't know, I think its just stupid to wear you beliefs on your sleeve like that. I have a problem with preachy edgers though. What I do is my business, what you do is yours, don't try to force your opinions on me.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
May 22nd, 2008 at 07:18am
Shadow of a Doubt:
Today, I was watching a documentary about Straight Edge and they said that in Nevada Straight Edge is considered a gang. They said that people think they are bad people. Apparently some Straight Edge people would beat people that would do drugs and stuff. I always thought it was a good thing and I still do it's just those few people that have to give it a bad name.

Here's a video about it:

I didn't see the whole show, but my mom was the one that was watching it. I wanted to tell her that I considered myself straight edge, but I didn't her to think I was going to be in a "gang." The way I see it is if you want to be straight edge that's cool. But don't beat other people for doing drugs and stuff. They are the ones screwing up their lives, so to speak.

In about a year and half I'll be 21 and I always thought that I would go and drink when I was 21(I wouldn't get drunk though). But lately I have been thinking differently. My friend is having a party and there is going to be booze there. I was thinking about have one drink, but when I told my mom there was going to be booze she kept telling me that I shouldn't drink. I told her if I did I would only have one. But then she told me that anti-depressants and alcohol don't mix well. Then I decided I wouldn't drink at the party. But I was starting to wonder if I would ever drink. I could be on anti-depressants for awhile. And I was thinking it would be cool to be straight edge. I could be different from the norm. I have a year and a half to decide though.

Those people are idiots, but as a Straight Edger myself i get alot of shit from people.
And they've ganged up on me before.
So this could have been sheer revenge?

Anyway it's putting a bad name on us.
And what was that reporter doing trying to get the guy to say he was embarrassed to be sXe?
The world has truly gone crazy.
rise above
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
rise above
May 22nd, 2008 at 07:35pm
Also, I'm just putting this out there because its been on my mind for a while, but I'd be willing to bet the it makes Ian MacKaye sick to see sXe becoming the whole fashion/scene thing that its becoming.

And everyone, edge or not, should listen to Minor Threat.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
May 23rd, 2008 at 08:27am
rise above:
Also, I'm just putting this out there because its been on my mind for a while, but I'd be willing to bet the it makes Ian MacKaye sick to see sXe becoming the whole fashion/scene thing that its becoming.

And everyone, edge or not, should listen to Minor Threat.
+1
Minor Threat true heroes of Punk Rock
rise above
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
rise above
May 24th, 2008 at 10:59am
Word. This is gong off topic here, but IMO bands such as Minor Threat and Black Flag deserve just as much credit to the developement of punk music as bands like The Ramones or the Sex Pistols get.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
May 25th, 2008 at 06:53am
Great Straight Edge
documentary
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 31st, 2008 at 04:12pm
You know what? Recently, I considered myself Straight Edge for a moment. Because a lot of the kids I hang around drink and smoke. And one of my friends was trying desperately to "get the hang of" smoking a cigarette. All of this, and the fact that I actually had a sip of beer and it was gross, makes me just want to...stay away from that stuff. Far away.

I mean, I always wanted to know what it'd be like to be drunk or high, but it's just not for me. At all.
Joel McHale.
King For A Couple Of Days
Joel McHale.

Blog
June 1st, 2008 at 03:01am
I'm straight edge, and usually only tell people if they ask me if I drink/do drugs. Coffee
Joel McHale.
Joel McHale.

Blog
June 1st, 2008 at 03:01am
lyrical_mess:
You know what? Recently, I considered myself Straight Edge for a moment. Because a lot of the kids I hang around drink and smoke. And one of my friends was trying desperately to "get the hang of" smoking a cigarette. All of this, and the fact that I actually had a sip of beer and it was gross, makes me just want to...stay away from that stuff. Far away.

I mean, I always wanted to know what it'd be like to be drunk or high, but it's just not for me. At all.
Like, exactly the same.
Joel McHale.
Joel McHale.

Blog
June 1st, 2008 at 03:05am
schooldropout:
In all honesty no one can really say that because you don't know whats around the corner.
Hand You can make a commitmnt and stick to it. It's like Abstinence or well possibly Marriage. You make a commitment to something and that can help you stay to it. It can be a promise to yourself that you plan out for the long haul.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 1st, 2008 at 10:55am
-About the Straight Edge Gang-

That's just pretty absurd. Kind of childish, too. People become addicts for different reasons, and I basically just read a whole book about drug addiction, and well, I can only scratch the surface of what it's like, but addiction isn't so much a physical feeling, you can't just take some detox meds and be fine. It's this whole emotional drive, it's all you are focused on, nothing else matters but the drug. They should be helping these people, not beating them up. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
June 4th, 2008 at 01:11am
Bleach:

That's just pretty absurd. Kind of childish, too. People become addicts for different reasons, and I basically just read a whole book about drug addiction, and well, I can only scratch the surface of what it's like, but addiction isn't so much a physical feeling, you can't just take some detox meds and be fine. It's this whole emotional drive, it's all you are focused on, nothing else matters but the drug. They should be helping these people, not beating them up. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.
I know. thank god those people are in the minority.
They are giving Straight Edge a bad name.

I'm gonna start hading out rehab flyers to dealers Smile
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 4th, 2008 at 10:58pm
yellowstickerface:
Bleach:

I know. thank god those people are in the minority.
They are giving Straight Edge a bad name.

I'm gonna start hading out rehab flyers to dealers Smile
seriosuly it just really angers me.
noice. Cool
It's going to be very rare that if you started handing out rehab flyers, that someone is going to say 'fuck drugs, I need my life back'
but it'll happen.
peggie
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
peggie
June 25th, 2008 at 01:50am
I'm Straight Edge and I love it.
I just don't see a point to drinking and doing drugs or smoking.
I don't wanna get caught up in a lifestyle that can literally throw your life down the drain (and I'm not saying that everyone that smokes and stuff like that has their lives ruined- it's just that sometimes one thing leads to another and so on)
And for me, I don't need to be impared to have a good time with my friends, you know? I don't want to be impared, to put it that way.
I do sports for high school (field hockey and lacrosse) and I hear my team mates talk about some things that they have done, and I don't want to be a part of that.
Also, we have a 48-hour rule lacrosse where you don't drink or anything 48-hours before a game.
Register