Are there too many foreigners in our country?

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 06:20am
Wait, I kinda strayed from the subject up there. ^

My point was that immigrants shouldn't be blamed for the loss of languages.

It is very inconsiderate of you to think that since other people of different nationalities are living in your country, they should learn the language. And the fact that you are even thinking about the idea of 'too many immgrants' is wrong. In the end, we are all immigrants.

One thing I love about Canada is it's diversity and the mimimal ammount of racisism which accompanies it. It is a rare thing to find, and I believe Canada is one of the only countries to have it. There are quite a few schools in Canada with no caucasians at all, yet the 'foreigners' aren't segregated, they are excepted. Everyone is. And nobody really cares at all. It's a beautiful thing, and more countries should learn and observe this.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 06:27am
Waiting <3:
Well I'm from the UK, we have a similiar problem.
OK. So, someone has a really bad life, right? It's not their fault they were born in a horrible country. So they move here. That's fine. That's OK. But when they bring their religious ways and cultural stuff here, then is that really fair? That our country is being altered so that it is like theirs? Even though they've left?
I understand they want to live how they would have had their country not been a terrible one, but it isn't fair to change our country just so its like theirs. Because it isn't theirs. It's ours.
So yeah.
The funny thing about you saying the country is 'ours', which I'm assuming is a reference to the Britons, is that you, hell, me as well as a Brit are actually not really full British at all. I definately am not, but I sure you are not as well. Infact, I'm sure no Brit is a pure Brit. I'm Canadian, British, Thai. And even within that, my father is Welsh, Granddad is English, and Grummy is Irish. My mother is Thai but her parents are part Chinese. So I am an extreme case of diversity, but I'm sure you and your decendents have once in time been just as diverse as me.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 06:33am
Faith:
Before saying English is hard, try learning German, Spanish, Russian, Latin...I tried. Fuck, I'm sticking with English[/b]
German, yes. Spanish, yes. Russian, to some extent. Latin, yes.

I also learn French and Welsh, I speak Thai and English fluently. I think English is the hardest language though. Just because most of it's phrases doesn't make any logical sense. It's just the way you say something that that's the way it is even if it's not technically right according to grammatic rules of the language.
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
November 14th, 2006 at 02:42pm
I don't have a problem with foreigners. Except the fact that in the last few years so many Koreans have moved into my town that they're taking over it. They're putting all the stores and stuff I grew up with out of business. Half the stores in my town are Korean and noone can read their signs for their stores, it is upsetting because it's basically like we're getting kicked out of our own home.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 14th, 2006 at 02:47pm
Anji:
Faith:
Before saying English is hard, try learning German, Spanish, Russian, Latin...I tried. Fuck, I'm sticking with English[/b]

I also learn French and Welsh, I speak Thai and English fluently. I think English is the hardest language though. Just because most of it's phrases doesn't make any logical sense. It's just the way you say something that that's the way it is even if it's not technically right according to grammatic rules of the language.

I don't think Spanish is incredibly hard, but thats just me. Dno
CristhyneS
Jackass
CristhyneS

Mibba
November 14th, 2006 at 05:24pm
Bloodraine:
Anji:
Faith:

I don't think Spanish is incredibly hard, but thats just me. Dno

The prnunciation is easy.

Now all the different conjugations for different pronouns and time tense, etc. Accentuation and its multiples rules. Everything in Spanish has a gender, so there's no such a thing as "the", some things are females (la computadora - the computer) some things are males (el mouse/ratón - the mouse).

I do think Spanish is a difficult language. And far more difficult than English, that's for sure. To this date my English is almsot as good as my Spanish and I've only started to learn the second about two-three years ago (and I've learned all by myself, no teachers, no school, no courses) and started using it for real a year and couple of months ago, on the other hand I've been listening to no more than Spanish ever sicne I was born, at home, at school, etc..

Still haven't read any of the people I talk to online post "Buenas noches" instead of "Buenos noches" if I haven't point out the mistake to them before.

Just my opinion though.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
November 15th, 2006 at 05:14am
Anji:
Lucifers Angel:
Viva La Stupid:
Lucifers Angel:
i have a problem with immagration in Uk there are more Immagrants in UK than there are welsh people and i have a problem with it.

i can see where you're coming from

(- by the way its not that i hate these people or think any less of them)

i dont hate them either, i do have a problem because welsh has good has died out and there are no teachers to teach it but there are teachers to teach english to immogrants, seems a bit hypocritical to me.
It is a pity such a beautiful, phloemy, language is dying out. I do not blame immigrants though. I blame the English. The globalisation of the english language has cause other languages to fade away. If you've read Bill Bryson's book, Mother Tougne, you'll know what I'm talking about. My father is fluent in Welsh, and I feel that I should be too...Unfortunately I'm not quite. Quite is the essential word. I am still learning and refuse to give up. My sister however lost intrest a long time ago, And I am disappointed in her. It's similar to Thai. I am fluent in Thai, but it is being used much less now then ten years ago when I was younger. And my sister is also not interested in learning her native country's language. The problem is, she can speak it, but she can't really read or write, so I don't consider her fluent.

It makes me sad to watch all these languages slip by while the empire of the enligh language continues to dominate the globe.

yeah to a degree you are right about the english langaue, And perhaps many english dont know this fact but, many years ago they would've have spoken Welsh and it was the welsh people that have kept the english, english, the warrior Cadawaldr went to fight for the rghs of the welsh to stay welsh and make it seperate from England and he won.

anyway back on topic.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
November 15th, 2006 at 09:14pm
Yes, and this is probably one of the worst things that Bush did, or should I say didn't do, for the country.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 15th, 2006 at 09:19pm
High Voltage:
Yes, and this is probably one of the worst things that Bush did, or should I say didn't do, for the country.

Right, you know, because all the illegal immigrants just sprinted over to America the second Bush was elected, it was not an issue before him or anything Rolling Eyes
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
November 15th, 2006 at 09:33pm
High Voltage:

you know ignoring the fact, that seeing as your American your gene pool is probably made up of multi european nations so technically your all immigrants. Also leaving out the bit that the only Natives of you land have been treated as the outsiders lets discuss..... Immigration is a world wide problem that is everyones problem, millions didn't come a knocking once Bush got elected.
davey jones.
Falling In Love With The Board
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
November 18th, 2006 at 11:30pm
It doesn't bother me.

America is The Melting Pot. Immigrants are the stilts of America. Aside from Natives, everyone came from somewhere else, at different times and ways. These foreigners...immigrant workers...are the building blocks to the American Dream. They do the dirty work, grunt jobs that support our business, etc...

It's only land.
Sylar
Falling In Love With The Board
Sylar
November 19th, 2006 at 01:36am
In our biggest city, asians outnumber all other races. I don't have a problem with it, but I think our government should make it harder for people to immigrate into New Zealand. We have a reputation for being clean, green and spacious- I'd quite like to keep it that way.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
November 19th, 2006 at 05:29am
Mikko Lindström:
In our biggest city, asians outnumber all other races. I don't have a problem with it, but I think our government should make it harder for people to immigrate into New Zealand. We have a reputation for being clean, green and spacious- I'd quite like to keep it that way.

And in a lot of other cities, cacuasian people outnumber all other races. What's your point?

People are going to be born, people are going to move to other countries cause theirs is shit, deal with it. To be fair, unless you're (goddamnit sorry I can't spell it) maroi, then you're a foreigner too.

I mean, I know you'd like to keep it that way, but the population of the world is expanding. It's enevitable.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
November 19th, 2006 at 07:42am
I'd like to quote Pocahuantas: 'You think you can own what ever land you land on, the Earth is just a dead thing you can claim. But I know every rock and tree and creature, has a life, has a spirit, has a naaaaaame.'

That pretty much sums up my opinion.
spaz_mango
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
spaz_mango
November 19th, 2006 at 07:49am
I live in Australia where the majority of people here aren't Australian born (including myself), i believe anyone should be allowed to enter any country but what i hate and do see a lot of is when people diss the new country they've come into and refuse to accept their lifestyle. It kills me when i see foregeiners saying shit about Aus. and i work at this cafe where i get a lot of people who can't speak english at all and it becomes extremely difficult to understand them. In the end i feel bad because i have to keep repeating sorry?sorry? (and i feel stupid). They should at least try to learn the language and the customs.

"Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do " Imagine - John Lennon
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
November 19th, 2006 at 08:04am
I love that song.

But when you say the majority aren't Australian born.. do you mean the majority aren't native Australian's, as in Aboriginies?

Because if you mean that there are more people born overseas moving to Australia, that's not true. It says (talking about Tasmania, but I'm still trying to find stuff about the whole of Australia)
The majority (85.9%) of people counted in Tasmania were Australian-born. Of those people born overseas, over half (57.1%) were from the United Kingdom, Ireland or New Zealand. The remaining overseas-born people were predominantly from the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Poland, the United States of America, South Africa and Malaysia

Info:
http://www.abs.gov.au/Websitedbs/D3110124.NSF/4a3fed835c77efdd4a2564d4001de2e5/65ec040501ba69c84a2564d4001e1cc0!OpenDocument
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
November 19th, 2006 at 08:06am
Okay, right, found something about the whole of Australia.

The majority (73.9%) of people counted in Australia were Australian-born. Of those people born overseas, over one-third (36.2%) were from the United Kingdom, Ireland or New Zealand. For the remaining overseas-born people, the highest numbers were born in Italy, Viet Nam, Greece, China and Germany.

Info:
http://www.abs.gov.au/Websitedbs/D3110124.NSF/4a3fed835c77efdd4a2564d4001de2e5/f6283293d8f67d1e4a2564d4001e1ccc!OpenDocument
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
November 19th, 2006 at 11:36am
spaz_mango:
I live in Australia where the majority of people here aren't Australian born (including myself), i believe anyone should be allowed to enter any country but what i hate and do see a lot of is when people diss the new country they've come into and refuse to accept their lifestyle. It kills me when i see foregeiners saying shit about Aus. and i work at this cafe where i get a lot of people who can't speak english at all and it becomes extremely difficult to understand them. In the end i feel bad because i have to keep repeating sorry?sorry? (and i feel stupid). They should at least try to learn the language and the customs.

"Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do " Imagine - John Lennon

i agree.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 19th, 2006 at 11:49am
You guys aren't thinking what you're saying through. Do you think countries can just let anyone in? We most definitely can not let anyone who wants to enter a country. How do you think our economy could handle that?

Illegal immigrants use social services, without paying for them. Taxes go to fund programs such as emergency services, health care, public schools, ect, and Illegal Immigrants don't pay taxes. There is also a loss of economic stimulation, money they make does not end up back in the economy. The effects of illegal immigration are disaterous. It isn't as simple as keeping forgeiners out or the language they speak, it's about the government having enough money to function, so that you can live the lives you're accustomed to.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
November 19th, 2006 at 12:03pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
You guys aren't thinking what you're saying through. Do you think countries can just let anyone in? We most definitely can not let anyone who wants to enter a country. How do you think our economy could handle that?

Illegal immigrants use social services, without paying for them. Taxes go to fund programs such as emergency services, health care, public schools, ect, and Illegal Immigrants don't pay taxes. There is also a loss of economic stimulation, money they make does not end up back in the economy. The effects of illegal immigration are disaterous. It isn't as simple as keeping forgeiners out or the language they speak, it's about the government having enough money to function, so that you can live the lives you're accustomed to.

i think thats a problem aswell
Register