Media and the Religious Problems

AuthorMessage
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 02:53am
Meski:
But Harry Potter is fictional, it's not like a wand's gonna come out of the book turning you into a chicken.
Yeah, but I guess the think it corupps[sp??] the youth, along with rock music and the guy from The Wiggles O_O_OOO_O__-o Come on....
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 26th, 2007 at 04:22am
Why would it corrup the youth, and rock music doesn't corrupt it either.

Rock music is music and for some others a way of life.

And Harry Potter can't corrupt it just because it's written there. I'm a Harry Potter fan and my youth is not corrupted.
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 05:34am
Meski:
Why would it corrup the youth, and rock music doesn't corrupt it either.

Rock music is music and for some others a way of life.

And Harry Potter can't corrupt it just because it's written there. I'm a Harry Potter fan and my youth is not corrupted.
AAAH, I was being sarcastic. Fuck.
and also the key word in my first sentence would "think" ....."they think" [i suck at typing but thats what I meant.] Geeez,
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
July 26th, 2007 at 02:54pm
right well before this turns into another ''lets bash the christians everyone else does' There's alot of other religions and cultural groups who depise the depiction of witchcraft, so please don't narrow it to christians it's unfair.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 26th, 2007 at 06:04pm
Sorry, I'm not narrowing, it's just that the book is for Christians, although you can change the title to say for other religions if you want.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 26th, 2007 at 08:38pm
NeoSteph:
right well before this turns into another ''lets bash the christians everyone else does' There's alot of other religions and cultural groups who depise the depiction of witchcraft, so please don't narrow it to christians it's unfair.

Well, that's a good point.
But the title of this subject is "Harry Potter for Christians".
So that would be why people have narrowed it down to Christians.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 08:43pm
Comic Tragedy:
NeoSteph:

...Which is why the title should be expanded to include other religions.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 26th, 2007 at 08:49pm
Boobmeister:
Comic Tragedy:
NeoSteph:

...Which is why the title should be expanded to include other religions.
Well... is there a way to change the title?
I don't know.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 26th, 2007 at 11:10pm
Mods can change it.

You can change it if you want, I titled it for Christians because that's the title of the book.
DancingSpanishPingu
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
DancingSpanishPingu
July 27th, 2007 at 01:25pm
:S i never thought about this...
i dont see a problem, its just a fun FICTION book
does this mean religious people cant read books where characters blaspheme, or have an affair or murder?
so they do not watch soaps?
its strange theyre just complaining about harry potter
why not burn TVs then?
SpiderPig
Idiot
SpiderPig
July 27th, 2007 at 01:54pm
This would only apply to the very very very religious people who dont question anything the close minded people of the religion to be fair they do have a right to practice their religion and say their opinions so we should just leave them be to respect their opinions and their religion, just because we may think its a bit strange or over exagirated doesnt mean they cant have a negative thought about it this is how they have been brought up within their culture.
Although on the other hand it maybe looking too deeply into the book but who are we to question.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 27th, 2007 at 04:21pm
Well, I never said to hate them for what they're doing. It's their opinion like you said.

But I think it's very exagerated to do that over a fictional book.
Karla R.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Karla R.
July 31st, 2007 at 03:22am
Harry Potter is just a fictional book, at least you become crazy and think that Harry Potter really exists, no one is gonna try to fly in a broom, right?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 11:33am
I agree that Christians tend to overreact, but there is one thing... After reading HP I have become more interested in magic. Not that I want to bewitch anyone, but I have certainly fallen in love with it more. Christianity is boring, spells and potions are better tbh. But seriously, I like medieval myths and legends even more, vampires and werewolves, dragons, Merlin, witch hunts etc. Basically some things that put a shade a Christianity.

Coolio

But I don't really think that was JKs intention, magic was always cool in my world. Actually, why don't people just leave books a-religious. Does everything have to be connected with God?
Hitchcock Starlet
Addict
Hitchcock Starlet
July 31st, 2007 at 01:38pm
Remus J. Lupin:
Does everything have to be connected with God?

Apparantly it does.
Christians were always a bit sensitive when it comes to magic,witches or anything the Bible considers sinful.

Just like when they say rock music and electric guitars are "evil".

It's just a book. A fiction. Not real.
Besides,J.K. Rowling never said we should all just get wands and run around throwing spells and stuff.
Coolio
Tre Cool.
Addict
Tre Cool.
July 31st, 2007 at 03:22pm
Being a Chistian myself, I find it very hard to shun Harry Potter. Yes, so there's witchcraft and whatnot in the book, but I mean, come on, they don't really influence us (religious wise). In my opinion, the book isn't out there to influence witchcraft, it's out there for people to enjoy. It's something that people love reading.

(Well, I guess I'm Christian considering Catholicism falls under it.)
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 05:20pm
Roots Radical:
Remus J. Lupin:
Does everything have to be connected with God?

Apparantly it does.
Christians were always a bit sensitive when it comes to magic,witches or anything the Bible considers sinful.

Just like when they say rock music and electric guitars are "evil".

It's just a book. A fiction. Not real.
Besides,J.K. Rowling never said we should all just get wands and run around throwing spells and stuff.
Coolio
Well the rock music thing is also another problem.

But as you said, she doesnt want us to go around throwing spells.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 09:07pm
Karla R.:
Harry Potter is just a fictional book, at least you become crazy and think that Harry Potter really exists, no one is gonna try to fly in a broom, right?

Actually, you could say that about the Bible too, so it makes a bit sense that some Christians are against Harry Potter. Idk.
The Bible is fiction too but a lot of people believe in it.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
August 1st, 2007 at 01:18am
Yeah people always say that the Bible was written by God, but it didn't fall out from the heavens.

People who invented a faith worte it.
trisha_goes_rawr
Geek
trisha_goes_rawr
August 1st, 2007 at 03:49am
i say, if it effects your religion...then don't watch it :]
Register