Media and the Religious Problems

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 02:54pm
It's not as simple as trying to avoid a book which has mass appeal and is universally celebrated. Schools have already began making Harry Potter books a part of their silibus and teachers are reading it to their children. Christians, especially Catholics, find this unacceptable.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 05:07pm
Anji:
It's not as simple as trying to avoid a book which has mass appeal and is universally celebrated. Schools have already began making Harry Potter books a part of their silibus and teachers are reading it to their children. Christians, especially Catholics, find this unacceptable.

Then Christians and Catholics who think Harry Potter is sacreligious can go to private schools where they won't be taught that material. It isn't like thats the only book in a school silibus that could be contreversial. Alot of schools read the Chronicles of Narnia too. We read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in 6th grade.

Personally, I think if parents feel that a childrens fictional book (award winning, amazing book at that) is going to sway their childrens religious beliefs, then they are the ones who have screwed up, not JK Rowling for writing the book. If they truely had faith in thei religion then it would only be a story and nothing more to them. Some of the religious people against the books act like they were written only for the purpose of manipulating children, and that they're full of all kinds of information degrading religions. I haven't seen any religious groups rioting outside Disney World against Cinderella's godmother, she used magic. Or against the genie in Aladin.
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
August 2nd, 2007 at 05:22pm
Kurtni:
Anji:

Then Christians and Catholics who think Harry Potter is sacreligious can go to private schools where they won't be taught that material. It isn't like thats the only book in a school silibus that could be contreversial. Alot of schools read the Chronicles of Narnia too. We read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in 6th grade.

Personally, I think if parents feel that a childrens fictional book (award winning, amazing book at that) is going to sway their childrens religious beliefs, then they are the ones who have screwed up, not JK Rowling for writing the book. If they truely had faith in thei religion then it would only be a story and nothing more to them. Some of the religious people against the books act like they were written only for the purpose of manipulating children, and that they're full of all kinds of information degrading religions. I haven't seen any religious groups rioting outside Disney World against Cinderella's godmother, she used magic. Or against the genie in Aladin.

Exactly. Plus, most schools use Shakespeare as part of thier English courses. A lot of his plays, Macbeth for example, involve witchcraft and the supernatural.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 05:49pm
God, I'm not that one that has anything against it. I know that the Harry Potter books are amazing I was just saying that is the problem that people have.

I think that Harry Potter isn't at all playing some game against Christianity, but is giving the morals and ideas of the Bible a much needed boost.

Spoilers:
In the final book, the link between Christianity and Harry Potter seems clearer than before what with the self-sacrifice and ressurection, if you will. Stories of selflessness and giving. I mean, it's lie a modernised version of the Bible for children who can find it more interesting than palsms and what not.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 06:08pm
Anji:
God, I'm not that one that has anything against it. I know that the Harry Potter books are amazing I was just saying that is the problem that people have.

I think that Harry Potter isn't at all playing some game against Christianity, but is giving the morals and ideas of the Bible a much needed boost.

Spoilers:
In the final book, the link between Christianity and Harry Potter seems clearer than before what with the self-sacrifice and ressurection, if you will. Stories of selflessness and giving. I mean, it's lie a modernised version of the Bible for children who can find it more interesting than palsms and what not.

I know I know you arent, I wasn't saying you were, sorry if it came off that way.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 06:20pm
Kurtni:
Anji:

Spoilers:

I know I know you arent, I wasn't saying you were, sorry if it came off that way.
tehe I was talking to the first person who addressed me. No, you didn't come off like that. I've known you enough on this thread to know who you refer to and when.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 06:43pm
Anji:

tehe I was talking to the first person who addressed me. No, you didn't come off like that. I've known you enough on this thread to know who you refer to and when.

lmfao ok good.

tehe
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 11:41pm
They don't focus on the storyline when it's taught in schools anyway. At least they didn't when we studied it. It was about the writing techniques Jo used to make attitudes and values apparent. Nothing we did was about the wizardry involved.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 3rd, 2007 at 12:15am
Peardrops:
They don't focus on the storyline when it's taught in schools anyway. At least they didn't when we studied it. It was about the writing techniques Jo used to make attitudes and values apparent. Nothing we did was about the wizardry involved.

And obviously her writing techniques were brainwashing the youth of the nation to be satanists! Damn that JK Rowling Mad

Coolio Sorry.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
August 3rd, 2007 at 03:54pm
Kurtni:
Peardrops:

And obviously her writing techniques were brainwashing the youth of the nation to be satanists! Damn that JK Rowling Mad

Coolio Sorry.

lmfao lmfao
I have wondered where those satanic urges have come from.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 4th, 2007 at 03:01pm
You know, I think it's odd that they're making a huge fuss about Harry Potter, when I remember parts in Eldest, by Christopher Paolini, which could be interepted as anti-religion. And the Eragorn-Eldest series is on par with Harry Potter as far as movies and whatnot.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 4th, 2007 at 03:52pm
But Harry Potter is bigger on such a universal scale. I mean, they say each generation has it's major event of sorts, and for ages, no one and nothing's come close to 'Beatlemania'. However, 'Pottermania' did come very close indeed.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 4th, 2007 at 04:02pm
Also, look how The Beatles influenced many young and crazed people alike. So much music would not be the way it is now because of what The Beatles did for the young people who adored their music. And they unintentionally influenced the Sharon Tate murders and other murders of the Manson family, even though it was only music.

Similarly, Harry Potter is influencing youths on a massive scale. Being so popular, it's bound to be attached in some ugly way to a crime or taboo maybe, but only due to the popularity, not necessarily to the content, which is my arguement in The Beatles responsibility for the formation of the Manson family.

Like any international pheonomina, there's bound to be extremeists who take the context too seriously and I think that Christians are overly worked up over that simply because everything nowadays seems to be targeted towards Christianity. Threats against their religion from Islamic extremeists, arguements that gays should have rights, people accusing them of being fascists. Christian parents are trying to take control of the last things they have left, like their children.

I make it sound as if armagideon is dawning on Christianity or something.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
August 5th, 2007 at 11:27am
Kurtni:
Alot of schools read the Chronicles of Narnia too. We read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in 6th grade..

I don't see why Christians would be against that. Because towards the end of the series, Aslan turns into a Jesus of sorts....so actually, yeah. I can see why that'd be controversial.

Can I make a thread about this?
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
August 5th, 2007 at 01:48pm
Omg I like how this topic was made by Lord Voldemort. lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao

[/spamsorrywaslookingforwhatsername]
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 5th, 2007 at 02:02pm
Anji:

I went to a catholic school and they had harry potter in the library, The only place i believe it's viewed as a problem is the bible belt in America and some states of Africa. But oh well you can't please everyone.

To be honest harry potter is a great story but for analysing literature it's a poor choice anyway. the younger books are two mellow and the older books are to long for younger years.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 5th, 2007 at 02:03pm
lyrical_mess:
Kurtni:
Alot of schools read the Chronicles of Narnia too. We read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in 6th grade..

I don't see why Christians would be against that. Because towards the end of the series, Aslan turns into a Jesus of sorts....so actually, yeah. I can see why that'd be controversial.

Can I make a thread about this?

their not against it. in fact they love it, they hold it up as a shining example. because the people doing magic are the baddy's XD.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 5th, 2007 at 07:13pm
NeoSteph:
Anji:

I went to a catholic school and they had harry potter in the library, The only place i believe it's viewed as a problem is the bible belt in America and some states of Africa. But oh well you can't please everyone.

To be honest harry potter is a great story but for analysing literature it's a poor choice anyway. the younger books are two mellow and the older books are to long for younger years.
lmfao Well I went to school in the 'Bible belt'. A catholic school in upstate New York. They hated us because we were Buddhists. Also, I was a lot smarter than the people in my class and same with my sister but they refused to let us move up a grade even though several other people could. My teacher was leaneant however, and gave me extra more difficult stuff to work on, so at least I wouldn't have rotten away in class.
Roisin-Marie
King For A Couple Of Days
Roisin-Marie

Blog
August 5th, 2007 at 08:11pm

ummm i'm a christian and i loooooooooove Harry potter lmao those people are just a little ummm obsessed or something i mean it's fiction!! meh first i've heard of it lol.

Sarah!
Geek
Sarah!
August 6th, 2007 at 05:42pm
I see no harm in the Harry Potter books. It is imagination and creativity. Okay so what J.K Rowling has used like Divination e.t.c is real and that some people don't agree with it but it's her work, her imagination and her creativity. Harry Potter is all about the magic, the dark, the evil and the good. It wouldn't be Harry Potter without Good and Evil, Dark and Normal Magic. It's what makes a great book.

if anyone disagrees feel free
Register