Media and the Religious Problems

AuthorMessage
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
August 7th, 2007 at 01:12pm
What about every other book that contains stuff about sorcery and whatnot. Do they burn them as well?
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 10th, 2007 at 12:03am
Peardrops:
What about every other book that contains stuff about sorcery and whatnot. Do they burn them as well?
My point exactly. I mean, if you're going to be ridiculous about one book, then you've gotta be ridiculous about all the rest.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 01:09am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Peardrops:
My point exactly. I mean, if you're going to be ridiculous about one book, then you've gotta be ridiculous about all the rest.
They even burn the Ouija board.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 10th, 2007 at 01:48am
Lord Voldemort:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Peardrops:
A priest once told my CCD class that we'd go to hell if we played with it.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 08:36pm
people should relax and just let kids and other enjoy a ficticious, harmless thing
its the same old, people take things way too seriously
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 09:00pm
Lord Voldemort:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Peardrops:

One of their arguments might be that Harry Potter is a danger because it's so popular and has a target audience of children but then... That doesn't make sense either because there are plenty of childrens books about magic that are popular. What about The Worst Witch? And why stop at books if they're going to be all angry about it. What about incredibly popular films that contain sorcery and whatnot?
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 10th, 2007 at 11:41pm
Lord Voldemort:
I searched and didn't find this. Lock it if you find it disturbing.

Ok, so a lot of religiously Christian people despise the Harry Potter series because it goes against the bible which says that the act of divination, sorcery, interpretation of omens, engages in witchcraft, or spell casting is sinful. Every year a group of Christian poeple in New Mexico gather around a fire to burn Harry Potter book, films, games, etc. Also things like the Ouija board.

For that, there is a book called "Harry Potter for Christians" written by Matthew Vines. You can find more information on this book clicking here.

Quote:
Leviticus 19:26- "Do not practice divination or sorcery."
Deuteronomy 18:10- "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead."
Galatians 5:19-21- "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

These books are fictional and they don't incite kids to practice these things, even J.K.Rowling, the author of this saga is Christian, and she wrote it. Even Pope John Paul II supported the idea of these books:

Quote:
"I don't see any problem in the Harry Potter series. They aren't bad. If I have understood well the intentions of Harry Potter's author, they help children to see the difference between good and evil."

I wanted to know your opinions on this matter because there have been some serious problems with Christians and Harry Potter fans.

I <-----(obviously) don't have a problem with Harry Potter. I've grown up with Harry Potter, I read The Sorcerer's Stone back in first grade and I fully credit my love of reading to Harry Potter. I've heard many arguments against them and many of the people who say that it is "evil" have never even so much as opened one of the books. Infact one person had the nerve to question if there was a clear line of good and evil in the books. ANYONE who reads Harry Potter knows the good side from the bad. I don't think these people should be able to say anything unless they actually read the books(or even just one) because then there is no way they could say that Harry Potter is bad. And by the way I am Christian AND a Harry Potter fan.
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 10th, 2007 at 11:42pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Lord Voldemort:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Peardrops:
A priest once told my CCD class that we'd go to hell if we played with it.

I guess I"m going to hell then...
Rolling Eyes
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 10th, 2007 at 11:50pm
Remus J. Lupin:
And its not like any of those spells/potions actually work ._. Why cant they just live it at "children's book" and not look anything religious/anti-religious in it.

Well I don't think Its neccessarily only just a "children's book" I think Its much more than that. I mean I still enjoy reading the first one and the second one and the third one even though I'm sixteen now (and I usually don't like reading about people younger than me.) I mean I have more than one aunt (and they are in their 40's) who like reading the Harry Potter books. These books are not just "children's books" they are for people of any age who enjoy reading great books. I for one know that I'll still read them when I'm older... Cool
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 11th, 2007 at 12:05am
Forever:
Yeah I agree that this has been a big conflict. I myself am a Christian, and my friends are too. I'm not saying to offend anyone, but this is what me and my friends preferred we do. We've talked about this between each other...we decided not to go see the movie, mostly because of the sorcerer/magic stuff in it. Even though the Bible says not to practice witchcraft and watching a movie is not necessarily practicing it, we still believe it's exposing our eyes, which can lead to thoughts about it too. God would much rather us not think about these things. That may sound a little weird to you if you're not Christian. I'm not trying to offend or persuade anyone into doing that too, I'm just saying what me and my friends did.

I'm christian and I don't think that makes any sense. Are you kidding? Harry Potter is full of self-sacrifice to save loved ones, good overcoming evil, gain and loss, happiness and devestation, the realization that we are not immortal, rising from the ashes,temptation and refusal to succumb to it, Is the bible not chalk full of that? Is LIFE not full of that?
LoveMeLudo
Idiot
LoveMeLudo

Mibba
August 11th, 2007 at 04:59am
The Harry Potter books aren't telling people to go out and try witchcraft or anything, so i see no reason for people to think that the books are bad or whatever. It's just for ENTERTAINMENT. And I agree with the person above me.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 05:11pm
They're just trying to get rid of the competition for the bible. Hand
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 06:40pm
It's too late for that, Harry Potter's surpassed the Bible this year, and I do believe that's like a first in history.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 12:47am
Right so there is about 049857081350896287 media related things that Christianity could oppose, and we can't make a thread for each one so lets keep them in here Smiley
lyrical_mess:
Right...as far as I know, no one has ever objected to their children reading C.S. Lewis' classic series. Ever. But I could be wrong.

And a lot of schools have The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe as required reading. As a matter of fact, I read it in school in fifth grade and had to do a report on it. I even read it before fifth grade and loved it.

Sadly, I never got to finish the whole series because of...difficulties until last year. I thought it was amazing. Parts of it made me go "awww" and parts of it moved me to tears. So where, you might ask, is the controversy?

A lot of people claim that Aslan is a metaphor/symbol for Jesus and that the people who pray to Tash and all are metaphors/symbols for Jews, Muslims or other "betrayers" or whatever you want to call it. If you ask me, its pretty apparent that the Calormenes are meant to represent Arabs and Muslims.

According to a Wikipedia aritcle I've just been going through, there's a lot of criticism. They say there's a lot of sexism involved, racism (I kind of agree with that part) and forcing Christianity onto young people.

As I said before, Aslan is supposedly Jesus, the "Real Narnia" at the end is heaven. When he states that the children were brought to Aslan's country through Narnia so that they would find there way to him through the real world.

Interestingly enough, some people even argue that its anti-Christian because of all the references to Pagan mythology. Lewis himself felt that pagan mythology was kind of an intro to Christianity.

Susan's loss of interest in Narnia is apparently due to the tempatations of the adult world. According to JK Rowling, Susan became irreligious because she found sex and that's just wrong. Other arguments for that include that at least at the time of writing that part, Lewis was uncomfortable with the idea of girls growing up.

Okay...I think I've written enough. Your turn. Is Narnia as controversial as they say? Is it evil? Is it good? Is it too religious for a public school curriculum? Is it too sexist for the age we live in?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 08:42am
I've mentioned this already, but what about The Beatles' impact on violent racism, such as the Manson Family's murderers?
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 12th, 2007 at 08:54am
Anji:
I've mentioned this already, but what about The Beatles' impact on violent racism, such as the Manson Family's murderers?

Well it sounds like to me that they were used as some sort of a scape goat much like Marilyn Manson was in the aftermath of the Columbine Shootings. Charles Manson was screwed up from day one, its not as if he was a completely normal guy who put on a Beatles album and then out of the blue started murdering people. And his followers had either huge insecurities, huge desire to wind up infamous, or crazy too to do that stuff as well...

though I do not pretend to be any kind of expert on the subject so if i'm making a huge jackass of myself...1.please let me know and 2. I apologize
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 08:57am
TragicCaseofMyReality:
Anji:
Thank you for your insight? Eh
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 12th, 2007 at 09:17am
Anji:
TragicCaseofMyReality:
Anji:
Thank you for your insight? Eh

sorry I was editing...
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 10:03am
lmfao

Oh, OK.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 10:06am
TragicCaseofMyReality:
Anji:

Well it sounds like to me that they were used as some sort of a scape goat much like Marilyn Manson was in the aftermath of the Columbine Shootings. Charles Manson was screwed up from day one, its not as if he was a completely normal guy who put on a Beatles album and then out of the blue started murdering people. And his followers had either huge insecurities, huge desire to wind up infamous, or crazy too to do that stuff as well...

though I do not pretend to be any kind of expert on the subject so if i'm making a huge jackass of myself...1.please let me know and 2. I apologize
Don't apologise, don't worry.

...Be happy. Mr. Green

Uh, yeah. Charles Manson was definately twisted, but I think that at least a few member of his clan, if you will, really weren't, but I just can't imagine how he must have convinced them his intentions were pure, because after, they definately became twisted.
Register