Death penalty

AuthorMessage
AshlinnR
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
AshlinnR
June 20th, 2006 at 09:33am
Coff:
I agree totally with Trunks. You just don't have the right to take anothers life, even if they have killed someone. The death penalty is wrong.

and if I had a daughter, if she got killed, I would grieve for her, I would be sad, I would be angry, but I would never wish death on another person.
wishing death on someone is wrong.
and my sister does it all the time
and she wishes it oon me.
and i hope that when i die she realises she shouldnt have said that
Billie Joe's Sweetie
Falling In Love With The Board
Billie Joe's Sweetie
June 20th, 2006 at 01:32pm
People have different beliefs and I guess mine are totally oppostie from yours.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
July 22nd, 2006 at 03:31pm
for some bizzare reason, i am a great believer in revenge. but i dont like the death penalty. if we kill them, they cant feel sorry for what theyve done, or more particularly, we cant MAKE them feel sorry for what they've done. maybe its sinking to their level, but sometimes its worth it, but not to kill them, a good long prison sentence, community service, hard labour, maybe a little torture for serial killers, but then if they were actually innocent they can be released back into society and rebuild their lives.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
July 23rd, 2006 at 10:22pm
I think it depends on the henious-ness (is that word) of the act. I don't think people who can't understand what they did was wrong for mental reasons should be killed.

However, I think that all child molesters and rapists ought to be.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 24th, 2006 at 02:20pm
druscilla_armstrong:
I think it depends on the henious-ness (is that word) of the act. I don't think people who can't understand what they did was wrong for mental reasons should be killed.

However, I think that all child molesters and rapists ought to be.

hold on there, who will say that one person will be sentenced to death and the anouther person to life in prison, i did at one time think the death sentence was the way to go, but now thinking about it, no one has the right to take anyones life, regardless of the nature of the crime.
Denial Child
Addict
Denial Child
July 25th, 2006 at 12:50am
I don't understand why it is illegal to murder someone but is completely okay to give someone the death penalty, which technically is murder. No matter what the crime is, the death penalty is to harsh of a punishment. No one has the right to take someone's life.
Insert_Clever_Saying_Here
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
August 1st, 2006 at 11:17pm
Billie Joe's Sweetie:
yeah, murderers shouldn't get killed, they should be tortured instead. I don't know how old your are or anything, but say you had a daughter and she got raped and killed by some guy. I don't you know about you but if I had a daughter, I would want that guy killed so he can burn in hell!
NO ONE is qualified to decide who lives or dies. It is not our place to hand out those decisions. End of story.
Ulysses
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Ulysses
August 2nd, 2006 at 08:16am
The death penalty rules.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 2nd, 2006 at 01:39pm
Ulysses:
The death penalty rules.

what? rules as in cool?
now its cool to kill people becasue they took someone else's life
NO. its not , toture is not the answer either ... people should be sent to jail for LIFE no parole no if ands or buts.

i'd word that better or think of some argument because I KNOW someone is gonna call that out
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 2nd, 2006 at 01:45pm
Ulysses:
The death penalty rules.

Care to explain your views as to why it rules?
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
August 2nd, 2006 at 02:42pm
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." --Mohandas Gandhi

Nothing is ever worth taking a human life. Catch my drift? We are an enlightened species that is capable of distinguishing between right from wrong, and taking life wantonly, for whatever cause, is something that has been distinguished as wrong since the times of the first Hindus for God's sake. They wouldn't kill mosquitos. Buddha teaches nonviolence. Jesus tells us to always turn the other cheeck, and to hate the sin but always love the sinner. The Reverend King achieved wonders for black society through pacifism and not the lsightest hint of violence.

To have mass death as a form of punishemnt sanctioned by hundreds of thousands of people and the government itself is sickening to me.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
August 2nd, 2006 at 05:09pm
dirtyhippie:

Nothing is ever worth taking a human life. Catch my drift? We are an enlightened species that is capable of distinguishing between right from wrong, and taking life wantonly, for whatever cause, is something that has been distinguished as wrong since the times of the first Hindus for God's sake. They wouldn't kill mosquitos. Buddha teaches nonviolence. Jesus tells us to always turn the other cheeck, and to hate the sin but always love the sinner. The Reverend King achieved wonders for black society through pacifism and not the lsightest hint of violence.

To have mass death as a form of punishemnt sanctioned by hundreds of thousands of people and the government itself is sickening to me.
OMGYES SAM!!!
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
August 3rd, 2006 at 01:00pm
Insert_Clever_Saying_Here:
dirtyhippie:

OMGYES SAM!!!

i agree with you totally. but what you said about Jesus and whatnot, He said that, then they started the crusades in his name. so christianity isnt really a very good example. i agree with the hindu and buddist examples though. but this is off topic so im going to shut up now
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
August 3rd, 2006 at 01:18pm
anti-christ of suburbia:
Insert_Clever_Saying_Here:
dirtyhippie:

OMGYES SAM!!!

i agree with you totally. but what you said about Jesus and whatnot, He said that, then they started the crusades in his name. so christianity isnt really a very good example. i agree with the hindu and buddist examples though. but this is off topic so im going to shut up now

There have been wars and fighting in the names of many religions. Islam says many of the same things about violence as Judaism and Christianity (with the exception of jihad, which is very complex and not understood by me, only having the knowledge of Islam I gleaned from a history book and freshman World History). It's now synonymous (sans atrocious spelling) in many peoples' minds with violence because of the acts of extremists.

Holy wars are not the result of typical practitioners of the faith. Mujitaba and Sumaiya would have blown up my school months ago if this were untrue. Pope Urban II started the Crusades by telling everyone that if they went along with him, they'd be absolved of all sins ever. Plus, they'd get primo plots of the Holy Land once the brown people were driven out of Jerusalem. Urban, in turn, was tempted into action by the pleas of the fanatical Peter the Hermit. I think I've got my facts straight; it's been longer than I thought since I analyzed the Crusades.

Anyway, my point is that Christianity is just as peaceful as any other religion; but you're right in that people often take it too far and kill for their peaceful religion. This is what we call "hypocrisy" and it, too, must come to an end with murder.

But on to the death penalty!
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
August 3rd, 2006 at 04:00pm
Since 1976, more than 100 people have been released from prison after being sentenced to death despite their innocence. In other words, 1 in 7 of those on death row have been freed after being fully exonerated.

The book, In Spite of Innocence, notes that between 1900 and 1992 there have been 416 documented cases of innocent persons who have been convicted of murder or capital rape -- a third of whom were given a death sentence. The authors discovered that in 23 of these cases, the person was executed.

Illinois has released as many from death row as it has executed since 1976. As a result, an Illinois Supreme Court Justice said, "Despite the courts' efforts to fashion a death penalty scheme that is just..., the system is not working. Innocent people are being sentenced to death... If this is the best our state can do, we have no business sending people to their deaths."

President Clinton has called appeals by death row prisoners "ridiculous" and "interminable." He signed a law that limits prisoners to a single habeas corpus appeal within one year of conviction. Under this law, many of those released from death row due to innocence since 1976 would be dead.
"I am an innocent man."

Leonel Torres Herrera was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1982 murders of two police officers. New evidence was brought forward which proved that Herrera's brother committed the murders. By Texas law, which states that any new evidence must be presented within 30 days of the conviction, this new revelation was irrelevant. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the Texas ruling, arguing that Herrera's claim of "actual innocence" was in itself not a constitutional claim for which judicial relief could be granted. Thus, though the court agreed he was innocent, Leonel was executed on May 12, 1993.

-----------------------------------------------

An FBI study shows that states which have abolished the death penalty averaged lower murder rates than states which have not.
More executions, more murders

Texas moved from its first execution after Furman in 1982 to becoming the national leader in the use of the death penalty. During the same period, the state also experienced a tremendous growth in its violent crime rate. From 1982 to 1991, the national crime rate rose by 5%. In the same period, the Texas crime rate rose by 24%, and the violent crime rate in Texas rose by nearly 46%. In Texas, more people die from gunshot wounds than traffic accidents. A strong case can be made that, rather than decreasing murder, capital punishment actually has a brutalizing effect on society, contributing to an increase in murder.

-------------------------------------------------------

In the decades since Furman 13 people have been executed who were under the age of 18 when they committed the crime for which they were convicted. Seventy more juveniles are currently on death row awaiting execution.

Since Furman 34 mentally retarded inmates have been executed.
RICKY RAY RECTOR died in order to help Bill Clinton get elected President. Ricky was black and mentally retarded. In 1992, Clinton left the campaign trail and returned to Arkansas to oversee Ricky's execution so he could show that he was "tough on crime." Ricky had absolutely no understanding of what was about to happen to him. As a part of his last meal, he requested pie for dessert, but explained he would eat it when he came back. He was executed on Jan. 24, 1992.

---------------------------------------

The Death Penalty Is Dead Wrong
by Marlene Martin

The 99th reason to get rid of the death penalty was recently released and walked off Florida’s death row on January 3.

Juan Roberto Melendez spent nearly 18 years on death row for a crime he didn’t commit. This year, he joined the nearly 100 death row prisoners nationwide who have been found innocent and released. When he was finally exonerated -- thanks to the chance discovery of a crucial piece of evidence by a lawyer who was cleaning his office -- he became the 22nd death row prisoner released in Florida, the state that leads the country in exonerations.

A month later, the U.S. Supreme Court halted the execution of a Florida man who came within three hours of death while it considers a legal issue "that could ultimately lead to the state’s death penalty law being declared unconstitutional," reported the Orlando Tribune. The justices will rule on whether judges, rather than juries, can sentence people to death -- a practice that exists in nine states. Following the Supreme Court announcement, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush canceled a second scheduled execution, reinforcing the point that there is a de facto moratorium in the state.

Meanwhile, the scheduled execution of Maryland death row inmate Steven Oken was also halted while the U.S. Supreme Court decides on his appeal. It is unlikely that any other death warrants will be signed in Maryland before the justices make their ruling.

This is good news to the growing number of activists who have been fighting these executions. Their influence can be seen in the comment of a judge who dissented in the ruling that stopped Oken’s execution -- he said the death penalty should be abolished because "it simply is not worth the aggravation."

We do think that the death penalty is "aggravating" -- but for different reasons. We find it "aggravating" that innocent people are sent to death row. We find it "aggravating" that 40 percent of all death row prisoners are African American. And we find it "aggravating" -- and also disgusting and morally indefensible -- that, while the death penalty does nothing to deter crime, we continue to hear from politicians that it makes society safer.

This is the reality of the death penalty. And we mean to tell these politicians that we want them to recognize this reality -- and stop the death penalty.

Since 2002 is an election year, Campaigners in a number of states are taking the opportunity to bring our message to the politicians. In Atlanta, a group of Campaigners disrupted Gov. Roy Barnes’ State of the State address -- as part of their new "Barnes Storming" effort. And in Illinois, 40 people protested outside a debate of gubernatorial candidates.

This is a good first step, but we have a long distance to go. What we do is pivotal right now, because activism can tip the scales of justice in our direction.

As Rev. Jesse Jackson told an audience of 600 that came out for a Chicago rally to mark the second anniversary of the Illinois moratorium: "You couldn’t really fix slavery. You couldn’t modify it...We had to abolish the slavery system. Let’s abolish the death penalty."

---------------------------------------------------

I thought that some of you may want to read through this sorry it is long but it is three stories about the death penalty, and the second part is the one i agree with the most, also they can and do execute the wrong people who can bring them back to tehy're families and friends NO ONE can.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
August 4th, 2006 at 01:56pm
...um...

Well ALL RIGHT!

Just goes to show you, do some goddamn research and people will adore you! Noobs take note.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
August 4th, 2006 at 05:19pm
dirtyhippie:
...um...

Well ALL RIGHT!

Just goes to show you, do some goddamn research and people will adore you! Noobs take note.

excuse me?
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
August 6th, 2006 at 02:23am
Lucifers Angel:
dirtyhippie:
...um...

Well ALL RIGHT!

excuse me?

i think he means 'you did taht much research, wow Shocked ' actually im thinking that too, you go girl! Clap
Kitti
Kitti
August 6th, 2006 at 12:57pm
Lucifers Angel:
dirtyhippie:
...um...

Well ALL RIGHT!

excuse me?
Rolling Eyes
Sorry, I speak fluent dirtyhippie.
Sam says nice job.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
August 6th, 2006 at 12:58pm
I'm for the death penalty. No one has the right to take anyone's life, I don't care why they think they do. Nobody deserves to be dead before they have to because of some psycho. I think if you take someone's life, you deserve the same in return. A lot of people say they're against it, but if someone killed one of my family or friends, I'd want them dead. It would be an okay thing to let the family of the victim decide the murderer's fate.
Register