Death penalty

AuthorMessage
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
March 23rd, 2008 at 03:16pm
Shadow of a Doubt:
But if you're accuse for a crime you didn't do, then I don't know what to say.

Right.. and d'you think you'd enjoy it if someone of your family was accused for a crime they didn't do and they'd tell you "well we don't know what to say"?

Shadow of a Doubt:
But look at the bright side, atleast God knows you're innocent and you'll go to heaven. Faith

If God knows the truth, then what's the point in having a justice on Earth?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 24th, 2008 at 02:59pm
Shadow of a Doubt:
But look at the bright side, atleast God knows you're innocent and you'll go to heaven. Faith

Can I just say, that in my honest opinion, that is a really, really flawed argument.

I'm sorry, but does the pure and utter injustice of putting someone to death for a crime they did not commit not bother you? 'Oh, well, you'll go to heaven anyway'
Well, I don't think that makes killing an innocent okay. I can't comprehend being so blasé about human life. The fact is, that no matter what one might personally believe, you can't stake for certain your claim that whatever bad happens to you in this life will be made better in the next, death penalty included.

For me there can be no 'bright side' to murdering an innocent person.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 24th, 2008 at 03:30pm
I doubt that the innocent get put to death very often. Usually they catch the right person. But if they are going to put someone to death they better be pretty damn sure, they have the right person.
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
March 24th, 2008 at 04:44pm
Can we talk about the overcrowding issue in jails here??
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 26th, 2008 at 11:12am
DaschundPup2007:
Can we talk about the overcrowding issue in jails here??
Yes, if you're relating it to the death penalty.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
March 26th, 2008 at 11:15am
Shadow of a Doubt:
I doubt that the innocent get put to death very often. Usually they catch the right person. But if they are going to put someone to death they better be pretty damn sure, they have the right person.
How do you know they 'usually' catch the right person?
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
March 26th, 2008 at 02:19pm
I don't believe in the death penalty. The film The Life Of David Gale is a real eye opener if you want to check out how accurate the death penalty is. It's fucking brilliant.

I also think that being sentenced for life really is FOR LIFE. Not getting out in 30 years, but staying locked up until they die.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 26th, 2008 at 02:54pm
Jax.:
I also think that being sentenced for life really is FOR LIFE. Not getting out in 30 years, but staying locked up until they die.
Exactly Cheese i think thats why some people support the death penalty; it's the only permanent punishment we have, and there are some crimes you need to be punished permanently for. When you go to jail for life, it should be for life. A permanent punishment, but in some many cases it isn't and I think that's ridiculous. We don't want murderers back out in 35 years or on parole. They don't deserve it.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 26th, 2008 at 03:21pm
What about murderers who are really, truly sorry for what they have done?
Just throwing that out there.
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
March 26th, 2008 at 03:31pm
Bloodraine:
I think that depends on the their psychological health.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 26th, 2008 at 07:38pm
Bloodraine:
So what? Coolio The committed a crime and they have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Being sorry doesn't bring their victims back to life. You can be sorry you've done something illegal the second after you've done it but that doesn't mean you should be exempt from punishment.
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
March 26th, 2008 at 09:18pm
Bloodraine:

Murder is permanent, it can't be taken back. I don't think anyone can be sorry enough for taking another life, even if it was self defense. Sure, there are people who say they are sorry, but they could be just saying what the victim's family wants to hear.

But, what if it is an act of self defense??
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 26th, 2008 at 10:11pm
DaschundPup2007:
what if it is an act of self defense??
Murder and self defense are not treated the same in the legal system.
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
March 27th, 2008 at 05:40am
I was watching Foreign Correspondant last night. And it had a story about the Death Penalty in America.

Before watching it I didn't really know much about it. But..since watching it, I really don't think the Death Penalty should be allowed.

I mean, it doesn't just affect the criminal. What about the executioner who has to administer the lethal injections? You have to think about what that is doing to them mentally, knowing that they're killing a person.

Which also makes you think, why should it be legal for this person to kill somebody?

I don't agree with the death penalty. Life in prison would be far better, in my opinion. Even if somebody had done something horrifically bad and would have usually have been given the death penalty, maybe spending life in jail they would learn that the killing of another human being in any way, for any reason isn't tolerated..
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
March 27th, 2008 at 05:58am
I just don't like the idea of people trying to conquer death. I mean, that's what execution is, it's just justified because it's done on people who have done bad things. But honestly, who are we to take life away.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 27th, 2008 at 11:18am
Do you think Saddam should have been executed?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
March 27th, 2008 at 12:01pm
Honnestly, no. And what's worse is that when he was executed, they mocked him and jeered at him. They told him that he was going to Hell which then prompted him to respond, 'What? A worse Hell than you've already made this place?' And you don't do that. You show a condemned man respect. Even the worst of them. That's why, in death penalty cases, even though their not supposed to give any indication, you can almost always tell the verdict if no one dares to look at the man, out of respect almost. If their innocent, someone will almost always look him in the eye and give a slight smile.

It must be the worst thing in the world, living on death row. You'd go mad, I know it'd do my head in, most certainly. I think that's worse than death. Living and not knowing when, but that you will die and soon. I mean that's what death row is like, isn't it. It's not a countdown to the moment, it's constantly on the edge of that moment, never knowing what will happen in an hour, or the next day, or a week from now.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 27th, 2008 at 02:35pm
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:
So what? Coolio The committed a crime and they have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Being sorry doesn't bring their victims back to life. You can be sorry you've done something illegal the second after you've done it but that doesn't mean you should be exempt from punishment.

DaschundPup2007:
Bloodraine:

Murder is permanent, it can't be taken back. I don't think anyone can be sorry enough for taking another life, even if it was self defense. Sure, there are people who say they are sorry, but they could be just saying what the victim's family wants to hear.

You would both hate to live in Britain then, because our justice system is somewhat lenient. Sometimes, it can be bad (I won't even go in to the fact that rape convictions are almost impossible) but other times, I have to say I agree with it.

It is rare, for example, to serve a whole sentance for anything. Murder, robbery, rape; if you show that you're sorry for what you've done and behave well in prison, then you are released after 2/3 of your sentance is served.

Very few murderers actually spend their whole lives in prison. It just doesn't happen.
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
March 27th, 2008 at 04:32pm
Isn't the executioner as much of a murderer as the person who is being executioned?
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
March 27th, 2008 at 05:59pm
tomamazon:
Isn't the executioner as much of a murderer as the person who is being executioned?
I don't think so, legally it's the state/country putting the murderer to death for what he has done.

But, you bring up an interesting point, how hard it must be for the executioner to the murderer to death. I can't imagine having that as a job.
Register