Death penalty

AuthorMessage
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 20th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Kurtni:
The US Supreme Court ruled that the death penalty does not qualify as cruel and unusual punishment and all of the states that haulted their death sentences back in September are free to resume them again. Thoughts/responses?

On another note, how do you think they'll find on their next case, about the man being put to death for molesting an 8 year old. The injuries she received required surgery to fix and she will permanently face psychological problems, if you're unfamiliar with the case. The guy is arguing that the punishment is cruel and unusual because no one has been put to death for anything but murder.

Well, its unusual certainly...but no more cruel than what he did to her. If they get a little creative, they could probably cook up something worse than death.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 20th, 2008 at 06:17pm
lyrical_mess:

Well, its unusual certainly...but no more cruel than what he did to her. If they get a little creative, they could probably cook up something worse than death.
Yeah, and the state he committed these crimes in was one of five that said you can be put to death for molesting children, so it isn't like they made the punishment up just for him. Im thinking the supreme court will say it's a just punishment
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
April 21st, 2008 at 10:18am
Read the book 'The Innocent Man' by John Grisham. It's a true story. Not a brilliant read, but shows you the injustices in the law and problems with the death penalty.

If not, read this or this. Con (Extremely short versions.) Shifty
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 21st, 2008 at 01:38pm
I thought lethal injection is now classified under the ridiculous heading of 'cruel and unusual punishment'.
neen bean
Addict
neen bean

Blog
April 21st, 2008 at 06:25pm
I don't think the death penalty should be used in accordance to the crime but rather the crime and how they are after the punishment. It should be like a "three strikes, you're out" system. The person's been given two chances and if they've wasted both than the person should be sentenced to death. The strikes should be counted for crimes that are significant such as murder, homicide, rape, etc.

I think it would be wonderful if people never did the crap that might get them sentenced to death, but that's asking for too much. xD
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 21st, 2008 at 06:58pm
Anji:
I thought lethal injection is now classified under the ridiculous heading of 'cruel and unusual punishment'.
In the US it was just found, like last week, to be constitutional. The supreme court heard the case blah blah blah... Coffee
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
April 26th, 2008 at 12:34pm
krzy bitch:
I don't think the death penalty should be used in accordance to the crime but rather the crime and how they are after the punishment. It should be like a "three strikes, you're out" system. The person's been given two chances and if they've wasted both than the person should be sentenced to death.
No. Why wait until more people get murdered or raped by the same person?

I don't agree with the death penalty, they should stay in prison until they die, because they've committed a crime and they shouldn't be able to get out so easily.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 2nd, 2008 at 11:13pm
Oksy I have very little opinions of this... this is just a basic one
I mean, if they did something so bad that they needed to be killed, why not make them pay for what they did, and experience it, rather than not?
Verbatim.
King For A Couple Of Days
Verbatim.
May 4th, 2008 at 05:09pm
I think all paedophiles and murderers should be dangled from a giant hook over a lake of hungry pirahnas.

Just a good job i'm not prime minister, really.
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
May 4th, 2008 at 06:26pm
there are some people i would have killed, for sure, if i could have
but i'm still against the death penalty

because what if the person's innocent? it's impossible to have a 100% accurate system for convicting someone, and somewhere down the line were going to end up killing a couple innocent people. whether in the last fourty years we've killed one innocent person or hundreds, it's just not right.
and you can say "well what if they killed twenty people and raped fifty kids blah blah blah," but none of that matters if they're innocent.
and many people plead guilty because they think there's no hope of being proven innocent and they want a lighter sentence.

okay i can't source this, but i was watching some documentary, and there's this guy who was sentenced to death. a class studying crime or something re-enacted the crime just for educational reasons, and discovered it was impossible for the man to have commited the crime. he was released EIGHTH MINUTES before he was to have died.

...so yeah
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
May 4th, 2008 at 10:33pm
Kurtni:
The US Supreme Court ruled that the death penalty does not qualify as cruel and unusual punishment and all of the states that haulted their death sentences back in September are free to resume them again. Thoughts/responses?

On another note, how do you think they'll find on their next case, about the man being put to death for molesting an 8 year old. The injuries she received required surgery to fix and she will permanently face psychological problems, if you're unfamiliar with the case. The guy is arguing that the punishment is cruel and unusual because no one has been put to death for anything but murder.
I really don't think he should be sentanced to death. It sets a bad precedent, and opens the door for the death penalty to be considered for all sorts of other cases, as opposed to just the really heinous ones.

(Do you happen to have a link or something to an article about that case? I'd like to have my Law professor take a look at it and give me his professional opinion)
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 5th, 2008 at 05:33pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:

(Do you happen to have a link or something to an article about that case? I'd like to have my Law professor take a look at it and give me his professional opinion)
I don't know what your news station of choice is, but here are a few...

MSNBC article

Official Documentation of.... stuff Coolio

Wikipedia
This article is actually different than the story I was talking about but the same principle. (Fox News)
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
May 7th, 2008 at 02:13pm
Well I can see the principle in it, but I don't think someone killing someone justifies another death.

I went to the Texas Death Row site last week and I found it quite interesting. You can see why these people are on deathrow, what their criminal background is, and on most "profiles" also a picture of them. You can also read some of those who got death penalty's last words, here (click the Last Statement)
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
May 9th, 2008 at 07:56pm
Kurtni:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:

I don't know what your news station of choice is, but here are a few...

MSNBC article

Official Documentation of.... stuff Coolio

Wikipedia
This article is actually different than the story I was talking about but the same principle. (Fox News)
Thank you so much, Kurtni. These are amazing, esp the court documents. Hug Hug
Steph:DonaNobisPacem
Geek

Blog
July 5th, 2008 at 05:06am
I think it depends on the intensity of the crime.
If a grown woman murders a child, and there's solid proof that he did, then he should have the same sick things done to him.

If a man throws another man off of a cliff, he deserves to be thrown off a cliff, too.

At least that's how I see it....
O_o
Verbatim.
Verbatim.
July 5th, 2008 at 07:16pm
StephVery HappyonaNobisPacem:
I think it depends on the intensity of the crime.
If a grown woman murders a child, and there's solid proof that he did, then he should have the same sick things done to him.

If a man throws another man off of a cliff, he deserves to be thrown off a cliff, too.

At least that's how I see it....
O_o

OKAY OKAY TOTALLY OFF TOPIC BUT:

your amazing avatar just made me laugh

...and i'm in the middle of an argument on the phone with my boyfriend lmfao
Geek

Blog
July 23rd, 2008 at 05:29am
Off topic:
Bahahaha thanks. I started pissing myself when I layed my eyes on it. I just had to put it up.
Very Happy

ON topic:

I think all states (or provinces for me, I'm Canadian) should allow the death penalty, and make sure that it's known. I think it would bring down the crime rate alot more. It would scare people into not doing TOO much crime. It'd make people THINK before doing such stupid, irresponsible things like murder.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 23rd, 2008 at 03:46pm
You are the very first Canadian I have met to approve the death penalty.

Apart from the occasional politician.
Geek

Blog
July 23rd, 2008 at 11:02pm
Well, congradulations on meeting your first violent Canadian.
Very Happy

But lately, we've been having alot of murders going on where I live.
Like, a few REALLY violent ones.
I think with the death penalty, it would go down just a bit.
toybox trash
Jackass
toybox trash
July 24th, 2008 at 02:57pm
I hate the death penalty. I hate it. Martin Luther King jr. once said, "You can murder a murderer but you can't murder murder itself".

Pretty much that means, two wrongs don't make a right. I can understand the death penalty being served to someone like Albert Fish or Richard Ramirez because both of those men were incredibly psycho in the head but if someone commits like homicide or something I believe they need to suffer in prison all their life. Prison isn't a fun place either. My uncle served a year there and he said it's terrible. All I can say is two wrongs do not make a right and killing someone for something they did in their past is wrong.
Register