Addict
Effy
May 20th, 2009 at 08:38am
Bleach:
NeoSteph:
random_person:
whocares14:
whats a vegan
a person who disagrees with killing animals for food,clothes,ect.

that's a vegetarian, vegans don't believe in eating dairy products or vegtables that have been pulled from the ground, they wait for them to fall or something.
(even though this was from the first page, I really like to say this)

No, tha'ts a fruititarian, a vegan is some one who does not eat or use any animal by- products

Ok this is really off topic but
a fruititarian? Laughing
You are not even shittin me? That's real?

I respect both vegans and vegetarians, though I don't get how some vegetarians (the poor animals!-kind) do use animal products like leather. That seems hypocritical to me. And I don't get why vegans wouldn't eat eggs. I mean, if there is a chicken in your garden. And it lays an egg, one that hasn't been fertilised, why not eat it?
It's just...menstruation.
(I'm hungry now. I'm gonna scramble me up some menstruation)
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
May 20th, 2009 at 09:04am
I'm guessing that it's because we are still 'using' the chickens for eggs, still breeding them and keeping them in captivity for our own use. Also chickens do not naturally lay eggs every day, we have bred, selected and forced them into that, which is unnatural for the birds. Like, I'm a vegetarian, but I only eat free range eggs, because I am against factory farming. I have some things that are leather, like shoes, but I had them since before I was vegetarian, I wouldn't knowingly buy them now.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 20th, 2009 at 01:55pm
Sally godverdomme:
And it lays an egg, one that hasn't been fertilised, why not eat it?
Chemically and hormonally induced, completely unnatural menustration. Mr. Green Not to mention that many, if not most, vegetarians aren't opposed to the actual act of consumption, but the nature by which we obtain the eggs, which is vile in commercial cases.
Effy
Addict
Effy
May 20th, 2009 at 06:16pm
I probably did not explain proparly, I'm sorry. I was pointing this out because I once saw a documentary of some sort on a commune of vegans. They lived on a farm (-ish place) and had a bunch of animals walking around the perimeter, so it was free range to the max. And when the chickens laid an egg, they would just collect it, and then throw it out.
That I didn't get.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
May 20th, 2009 at 08:31pm
Don't think theres anything wrong with eating eggs from an ethical stand point, we keep some chickens at home, they lay regularly but they all seem perfectly happy. I can understand people being against eating eggs from battery hens, but then why not eat just free range?

Interesting Question: Can Pro-lifers ethically eat a chicken egg?!
Dom
Jackass
Dom
May 20th, 2009 at 08:33pm
Kurtni:
Sally godverdomme:
Chemically and hormonally induced, completely unnatural menustration. Mr. Green Not to mention that many, if not most, vegetarians aren't opposed to the actual act of consumption, but the nature by which we obtain the eggs, which is vile in commercial cases.

Our hens lay daily, pretty much...no chemicals or hormones involved, except of course those which occur naturally in the chicken.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 20th, 2009 at 10:22pm
Sally godverdomme:
Bleach:
NeoSteph:
random_person:
whocares14:
whats a vegan
a person who disagrees with killing animals for food,clothes,ect.

that's a vegetarian, vegans don't believe in eating dairy products or vegtables that have been pulled from the ground, they wait for them to fall or something.
(even though this was from the first page, I really like to say this)

No, tha'ts a fruititarian, a vegan is some one who does not eat or use any animal by- products

Ok this is really off topic but
a fruititarian? Laughing
You are not even shittin me? That's real?

I respect both vegans and vegetarians, though I don't get how some vegetarians (the poor animals!-kind) do use animal products like leather. That seems hypocritical to me. And I don't get why vegans wouldn't eat eggs. I mean, if there is a chicken in your garden. And it lays an egg, one that hasn't been fertilised, why not eat it?
(I'm hungry now. I'm gonna scramble me up some menstruation)
the idea of fruititarianism is that you are not killing anything on this earth. It's spiritual. Some butt-wipes just do it for dieting and are just like 'oh I'm a fruititarian!'

obviously it is. I know a pescetarian that wers uggs. are you fucking kidding me? It's so stupid.
I do very occaisionally by leather products, simply because I know that leather lasts a very very long time so it is not like that animal will be wasted. Pleather on the other hand.. shit. The leather that I buy are for things that are very useful to me. I've only bought about 3 things though.

the reason why vegans don't eat eggs or drink milk is because of the conditions that most cows live in. I'm not a vegan because 1, I don't have the willpower whatsoever, and 2, I think that if I get my products from a well treated, happy, healthy animal, it's not the end of the world, or inhumane. unless you're Ingrid Newirk who thinks any association with animals is wrong.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 20th, 2009 at 10:25pm
Dom:
Don't think theres anything wrong with eating eggs from an ethical stand point, we keep some chickens at home, they lay regularly but they all seem perfectly happy. I can understand people being against eating eggs from battery hens, but then why not eat just free range?

EGGS ARENT FERTILIZED! XD

they're something that a chicken naturally produces whether it is preggo or not.

pro-lifers wouldn't be in the question. and if they're killing fully grown chickens, they wouln't care about killing the fetus of a chicken.
Aliiiiii.
King For A Couple Of Days
Aliiiiii.
May 21st, 2009 at 04:10am
Dom:
Kurtni:
Sally godverdomme:

Our hens lay daily, pretty much...no chemicals or hormones involved, except of course those which occur naturally in the chicken.

This made me really happy, haha.

I used to live next door to a farm and the chickens were left to wander around all day and they laid tons of eggs. Being about four or five at the time, it was the most fun in the world to go and collect all of the eggs Mr. Green

But personally I don't like eating them. For no other reason than I don't like the taste - bleh.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 21st, 2009 at 03:09pm
Dom:

A chicken and a human aren't the same thing, and a chicken egg [that we'd eat] isn't a fertlized fetus with the potential to grow into an adult chicken. I don't see why they'd have an ethical conflict.
bandgeek
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
bandgeek
May 21st, 2009 at 10:35pm
Isn't makeup made with animal parts? All of the vegetarians that I work with wear makeup and leather. It doesn't make any sense to me.
abnormalone2002
Falling In Love With The Board
abnormalone2002
May 21st, 2009 at 11:13pm
Some vegitarians are more strict than others. In other words, I don't eat most meat but I do eat seafood for protein. However, there are those who don't eat any meat at all, or eggs. There also vegans who don't eat dairy products and personally I don't think I could do that. Some vegitarians don't wear leather but others do. There's a lot of variation there.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
May 22nd, 2009 at 07:18am
bandgeek:
Isn't makeup made with animal parts? All of the vegetarians that I work with wear makeup and leather. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Not all make up. Brands like Urban Decay don't. There are plenty of lists out there to tell you what products are animal/cruelty free.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 22nd, 2009 at 10:57am
bandgeek:

Not all make up is exactly the same you know... Coolio Not to mention that vegetarianism is a DIETARY choice, it doesn't automatically mean they use no animal products.
FeeneyKid
Jackass
FeeneyKid
May 22nd, 2009 at 04:27pm
I don't eat beef, chicken or pork. Mostly for the health benefits though. Lots of saturated fat and sodium in meat :/

On occasion I secretly sneak a bite though. No biggie *shifty eyes*
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 23rd, 2009 at 08:34am
Kurtni:
bandgeek:

Not all make up is exactly the same you know... Coolio Not to mention that vegetarianism is a DIETARY choice, it doesn't automatically mean they use no animal products.
yeah, that is very true. vegetarians, ovo-veg, lacto-veg, or ovo-lacto-veg are dietary choices. Veganism is when you don't use or eat any animal or animal by-products. Some vegans don't eat refined sugar because they burn the sugar with fire fueled by animal bones
kirstinlette
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kirstinlette
May 28th, 2009 at 11:25pm
It appals me that people who eat eggs, dairy, and fish have the nerve to call themselves 'vegetarians'. The word 'vegetarian' entails a vision of compassion towards animals, but those who do not follow a strict vegetarian (vegan) diet are directly supporting the slaughter of animals.
The same with those who are 'vegan' as far as their diets go, but use products that are tested on animals and who wear leather and/or fur...
People like that disgust me.
They're almost as bad as flexitarians. Wall
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 29th, 2009 at 01:43pm
kirstinlette:
It appals me that people who eat eggs, dairy, and fish have the nerve to call themselves 'vegetarians'. The word 'vegetarian' entails a vision of compassion towards animals, but those who do not follow a strict vegetarian (vegan) diet are directly supporting the slaughter of animals.
The same with those who are 'vegan' as far as their diets go, but use products that are tested on animals and who wear leather and/or fur...
People like that disgust me.
They're almost as bad as flexitarians. Wall

You're totally conflating vegetarians and vegans.
Vegans are the ones who use no animal products.
Vegetarians (including the ovo-lacto type) are doing absolutely nothing wrong. They have every right to call themselves vegetarians if they eat eggs and drink milk.

You seem to have your definitions wrong. There's no such thing as 'vegetarian (vegan)'. The brackets imply that they're the same thing and they simply are not.

Vegetarianism does not actually imply compassion towards animals. It simply means that you do not eat flesh. It's a dietary choice. I have a friend who is a vegetarian and who doesn't give a fuck about animal rights. He simply does not like meat. He's still a vegetarian, regardless of his views on animal rights.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 29th, 2009 at 06:09pm
ty for clearing that up for us better than I could have.

Also, the person is saying that vegetarianism is still linked to animal killings. It depends on your diet, where your food is coming from, etc. Is using the eggs from my own pasture-raised chickens directly linked to animal killings? no. am I vegan? no. So I am vegetarian.

And there are no such things as vegans who use animal tested products or use leather. That's a vegetarian. a vegan by definition is somebody who does not use any animal products.
kirstinlette
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kirstinlette
May 29th, 2009 at 10:26pm
When I said 'follow a strict vegetarian (vegan) diet', I wasn't implying that they're the same thing. I used the brackets because some people say 'strict vegetarian' instead of vegan. In fact, 'strict vegetarian' was the phrase that was used before 'vegan' was coined.
Register