Veganism/vegetarianism

AuthorMessage
Spelling Cunts
Banned
Spelling Cunts
April 28th, 2011 at 10:15am
Just wondering. A guy I know was making jokes of the fact that whenever he has vegetarians to the house he has to cook different meals especially for them, yet they don't do the same when he goes to their houses. Personally if it was a long-term thing I would find the lack of equality kind of annoying. What do you guys think? I'm not saying that vegetarians/vegans are whiney and need special meals if they come to your house, but if your friends who have different dietary wants and cook you something you would like if you visit them, would you return the favour for them even if it meant cooking meat?

I'm phrasing this terribly but I just woke up.

I think I'd personally see it as if I was cooking for someone with food allergies. Which I'm kind of used to anyway since my friend is coeliac, lactose intolerant, (though half the time she'll ignore these and eat the stuff anyway and then say the stomach ache was worth it) and has a severe allergy to nuts.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
April 28th, 2011 at 10:51am
i guess it depends. i know a girl who's a vegetarian and she cooks meat all the time (for her mom, boyfriend and friends), and i know a hardcore vegan guy who doesn't come close to meat and animal products.
i think i'd still cook meat if i invited anyone to lunch, but i don't know since i'm not in that position.
wfougoafoihqfe
Falling In Love With The Board
wfougoafoihqfe
April 28th, 2011 at 10:54am
Well I think (in most cases) it's on ethical grounds rather than allergies etc. so I can't imagine many vegetarians/vegans would really want to cook/buy meat of their own accord.

Personally, I don't mind cooking meals with meat in for the rest of my family because it's them who have chosen to buy the meat products, rather than myself, for them to eat. Also, none is wasted/bought 'unnecessarily'.
Spelling Cunts
Banned
Spelling Cunts
April 28th, 2011 at 11:01am
Professor Booty:
Well I think (in most cases) it's on ethical grounds rather than allergies etc. so I can't imagine many vegetarians/vegans would really want to cook/buy meat of their own accord.

Personally, I don't mind cooking meals with meat in for the rest of my family because it's them who have chosen to buy the meat products, rather than myself, for them to eat. Also, none is wasted/bought 'unnecessarily'.

It makes sense yeah. I understood that. But therein lies the problem in a way. If someone is completely opposed to it, and their friends don't find it unethical to eat meat and cook special meals for them despite their stance on the matter. Do they get their friends to buy the meat and cook it for them (or buy the meat themselves), or do they simply refuse and potentially aggravate their friends? I think it's a strange problem to solve. Because I'm sure the person in that situation would be miffed if their friends cooked a meal with meat and just handed them a plate of say broccoli and potato and say "Since you wont go out of your way for us, we wont go out of our way for you."? I'm sure there are many grey areas and solutions. But I just thought it was an interesting point when it was brought up.

You could somewhat compare the situation to Kosher and Halal meat. But I guess it's not as difficult in those situations.
Spelling Cunts
Banned
Spelling Cunts
April 28th, 2011 at 11:02am
theskyjogger:
i guess it depends. i know a girl who's a vegetarian and she cooks meat all the time (for her mom, boyfriend and friends), and i know a hardcore vegan guy who doesn't come close to meat and animal products.
i think i'd still cook meat if i invited anyone to lunch, but i don't know since i'm not in that position.

Well at least you're open to it. I think that's an important thing. Where you're not completely blinded to how other people would feel despite your own moral standings.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
April 30th, 2011 at 10:17am
AnAnnoyinglyLongName:
Just wondering. A guy I know was making jokes of the fact that whenever he has vegetarians to the house he has to cook different meals especially for them, yet they don't do the same when he goes to their houses. Personally if it was a long-term thing I would find the lack of equality kind of annoying. What do you guys think? I'm not saying that vegetarians/vegans are whiney and need special meals if they come to your house, but if your friends who have different dietary wants and cook you something you would like if you visit them, would you return the favour for them even if it meant cooking meat?

I'm phrasing this terribly but I just woke up.

I think I'd personally see it as if I was cooking for someone with food allergies. Which I'm kind of used to anyway since my friend is coeliac, lactose intolerant, (though half the time she'll ignore these and eat the stuff anyway and then say the stomach ache was worth it) and has a severe allergy to nuts.

This is just me, I can't speak for everyone. But I never have anything special made for me when I go to another persons house, or a party.
I just eat around the meat. I mean, if it's a party there is always SOMETHING you can find to eat. I've never come across a party yet that I haven't been able to find a whole plant of food that was meat free.

As far as cooking meat meals for other people who aren't at your party. Well, I think that would kind of go against the whole thing, if your reason for going veg*n was for the sake of animals. Like, when my mother has me make dinner, Iike, I will make the spagetti and stuff, and make sauce. But, I wont make the meat. I make someone else cook it.

I don't know, to request that people make you something special because you don't eat meat sounds a bit redic. to me. There has to be something they can eat that doesn't have meat. It almost sounds like they want the special meal to feel above everyone else, because it was made special for them. But I don't know, I don't know this person.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 30th, 2011 at 12:31pm
Yeah I would never ask someone to make a special meal just for me. I also just eat around the meat. Also, there are plenty of "normal" meals that people eat that don't have meat in it so I don't know why someone would HAVE to have meat. I think if you're going to someones house for dinner you should never demand what you want to eat. You get what you get. Asking someone to make you a centain something is rude.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
April 30th, 2011 at 10:31pm
Yeah, both ways, don't ask for meat, don't ask for something that doesn't havve it. Just eat around it. It's really quite rude to demand it if you really think about it.
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:24am
Once a meat-eating friend came to my house, knowing that my mum would be cooking a meal for us, but she had a mcdonalds before we went back to mine and she was too full to finish her meal. I found that very rude, just accept you're going to not get any meat today...
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:42am
yeah that is soo rude. how many people eat meat everyday for every meal anyway..
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:48am
I knew one girl who was like 'I've never gone a day in my life without meat'. That irritated me, but I'm not sure why.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
May 4th, 2011 at 04:16pm
In regards to the whole 'eating around the meat' situation, I either bring something to share that's vegan or they'll make me the same but just cut out the meat, if it's a party then I tend to eat something at my house before I go because of my allergies. I really hate causing a massive 'so what's wrong with you?' conversation.

Also, do you guys find it strange cooking for meat eaters? I personally don't have a problem with it but some people are always like "ew, but it'll contaminate your kitchen!" Plus they get freaked out by the fact that I can actually cook the meat in the first place.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
May 4th, 2011 at 08:16pm
Yeah, exactly! Eat before, or eat around. Not so hard.

And I don't like to cook meat personally. But, it's going to contaminate your kitchen? lol....k.
And I can cook meat...OH NO.
It's not like we were born this way. For the love of God....some people.
Rainy Days
Jackass
Rainy Days
May 8th, 2011 at 09:51pm
it's life.
people have eating meat from the beginning of time.
i'll bet even JESUS ate meat.
Spelling Cunts
Banned
Spelling Cunts
May 8th, 2011 at 09:54pm
Rainy Days:
it's life.

I bet unicorns eat it too, and dragons. Cause they matter.
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
May 8th, 2011 at 10:08pm
You know who else ate meat? Hitler. Therefore it's evil.

Well, according to historical accounts, Hitler was quite the gasshole so he didn't eat that much meat. But anyways.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
May 9th, 2011 at 10:46am
Rainy Days:
it's life.

I bet that something called a 'personal opionion' exists too.
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
May 9th, 2011 at 01:48pm
People have eaten it from the beginning of time.
Doesn't mean you have to eat it now, now there's more options.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
May 9th, 2011 at 01:52pm
If you're going to go down the "let's live like cavemen" route, I suggest you chuck all technology out of your room and invest in a spear... it's just a shame that the mammoths died out, that would've made it even more realistic.
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
May 9th, 2011 at 01:55pm

Or not.
Register