Veganism/vegetarianism

AuthorMessage
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 05:48pm
Just curious on everyones opinion of Ellen Degeneres being a face of cover girl. She's a vegan, but cover girl tests on animals.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:30pm
what i don't like about veganism (not that i am against it, i actually really admire vegans) is that it's so hard to draw a line between what's harmful for animals and what's not.
an absurd example, but still; when you drive a car the chances are high that you're gonna kill some flies and insects while driving. would a true vegan give up car travel altogether just to avoid the risk?
idk, same thing with ellen. it's easy to not eat animal products, but it get's more complicated if you decide to pose for a magazine by a corporation that tests on animals.
what would you guys do?
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:31pm
i don't agree with testing on animals, especially make-up. i don't know why she would be a spokes person for that. like that's just as bad as killing an animal in my opinion especially if you're a vegan you're more intense with it. it just doesn't make sense to me.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:36pm
well then if she's a spokesperson it's really hypocritical omgno
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:37pm
yeah that's what i meant by a face of cover girl.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:42pm
what exactly is involved in testing on animals, I've never been clear. They like, put the makeup in the animals eyes to see if it majorly harms it or something??

I mean no matter what the specifics I think that's hypocritical of her, but I am curious.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:43pm
i'm pretty sure that's what is it.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:55pm
but yeah thats pretty bad. I'm not even a vegan or a vegetarian but I will not buy animal tested products.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:55pm
you'd be surprised what products test on animals
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 06:58pm
BELLY JO.:
you'd be surprised what products test on animals

I usually check for the bottles that have the little note saying "We do not test on animals" but idk I probably have some stuff that does.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 07:49pm
Peta has a list of companies that do.
So you could check on there if you really want to know some of them.

And, I don't know...maybe Ellen doesn't care about animal testing...though I would think it weird for her to not.

But maybe like, she was signed to a contract by a producer or something? And then what can she do? I don't know though...that is weird.
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
April 3rd, 2011 at 10:18am
Has anybody seen this: http://news.stv.tv/scotland/east-central/240622-feeding-kids-meat-is-child-abuse-controversial-billboard-goes-up-in-scotland/

Peta just take it too far. I'm against animal abuse, but I think Peta are just ridiculous. It's disgusting to call parents of meat-eaters abusive. I don't think they quite understand what child abuse is. Giving your child meat certainly isn't. Ugh, this makes me so angry.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 3rd, 2011 at 10:21am
that's just stupid. smh
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
April 3rd, 2011 at 03:04pm
omg that fucking PISSES ME OFF, a parent who feeds their child meat is being a responsible, caring parent. Childhood is the most important stage of development and it is crucial that children get enough iron and protein (which come mainly from meat) otherwise they could face actual growth and development problems. I'm no expert, but I have taken a few dietetics classes for school. But really, that should be clear to anyone. Of course, if done right, a child can be raised as a vegetarian by their parents but in that case it's REALLY IMPORTANT that the parents get them all the nutrients they need. It's not as big of a deal to not get enough iron when you're an adult, but it's crucial for child development.

IMO I think even if I were a vegetarian I would cook my children meat until they were old enough to decide for themselves. I know people who do that too, just in MY opinion I don't think it's best to raise kids vegetarian.
Spelling Cunts
Banned
Spelling Cunts
April 3rd, 2011 at 03:48pm
I can't stand PETA. I'm for animal testing, when it's necessary, for something like Diabetes as an example. Which the founder of PETA has, and therefore would not be alive without animal testing.

Just saying.
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
April 3rd, 2011 at 03:52pm
Sam Roberts:
omg that fucking PISSES ME OFF, a parent who feeds their child meat is being a responsible, caring parent. Childhood is the most important stage of development and it is crucial that children get enough iron and protein (which come mainly from meat) otherwise they could face actual growth and development problems. I'm no expert, but I have taken a few dietetics classes for school. But really, that should be clear to anyone. Of course, if done right, a child can be raised as a vegetarian by their parents but in that case it's REALLY IMPORTANT that the parents get them all the nutrients they need. It's not as big of a deal to not get enough iron when you're an adult, but it's crucial for child development.

IMO I think even if I were a vegetarian I would cook my children meat until they were old enough to decide for themselves. I know people who do that too, just in MY opinion I don't think it's best to raise kids vegetarian.

Yeah, I agree. I think it's alright to raise your child vegetarian if you know what you're doing. I'd also give my children meat (I am vegetarian but because I just don't like the taste and texture of meat).

I don't think being a vegetarian makes you healthier, to be honest. It depends on what you do eat, not what you don't eat. There's probably just as many unhealthy vegetarians out there as unhealthy meat eaters, and healthy meat eaters as there are healthy vegetarians, etc.
Spelling Cunts
Banned
Spelling Cunts
April 3rd, 2011 at 03:57pm
Weirdly enough I've heard there are far more ex-vegetarians/vegans than current vegetarians/vegans.

Not sure how true it is.
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
April 3rd, 2011 at 04:03pm
I know a lot of ex-vegetarians. I'm not sure if I could go back to eating meat, I did have it on Christmas day for the first time in a year, but it made me feel quite sick. But maybe one day...

As for PETA, they are a total joke. Not only are they total hypocrites, over the top, and now offensive to meat-feeding parents, they're bloody sexist. They go on about animal rights, what about women's rights? Dickheads.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
April 3rd, 2011 at 04:49pm
Jeepster:
Sam Roberts:

Yeah, I agree. I think it's alright to raise your child vegetarian if you know what you're doing. I'd also give my children meat (I am vegetarian but because I just don't like the taste and texture of meat).

I don't think being a vegetarian makes you healthier, to be honest. It depends on what you do eat, not what you don't eat. There's probably just as many unhealthy vegetarians out there as unhealthy meat eaters, and healthy meat eaters as there are healthy vegetarians, etc.

I'm pretty sure I saw an article that said that while there is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian if you do it right, there are very few nutritionists or registered dieticians who choose to go veg.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
April 3rd, 2011 at 07:30pm
^ yeah, meat doesn't make you unhealthy.
It's how you cook it, and how much of you eat.
Just like anything else you eat.

And I am veg, because I don't like how they kill animals for food. (as if no one on here knows that....lololol)
Register