Veganism/vegetarianism

AuthorMessage
kirstinlette
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kirstinlette
May 29th, 2009 at 10:29pm
Also, when most people hear the word 'vegetarian', they think that the person being talked about is compassionate torwards animals. It doesn't mean they ARE compassionate torwards animals, like in your friend's case, but compassion is what the word implies.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
May 31st, 2009 at 03:44pm
kirstinlette:
Also, when most people hear the word 'vegetarian', they think that the person being talked about is compassionate torwards animals. It doesn't mean they ARE compassionate torwards animals, like in your friend's case, but compassion is what the word implies.

No. The word implies not eating dead animals.

Many people are vegetarian for health or environmental reasons.

The fact that you're "appalled" by vegetarians who are, well, vegetarians, is strange to be. I'm a vegetarian. I'm not vegan. I eat chocolate. I eat eggs. If that offends you, perhaps you should open your mind a bit?
kirstinlette
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kirstinlette
May 31st, 2009 at 08:51pm
Aside from one or two people, everyone I've ever told that I was a vegetarian automatically thought that I was an animal lover. Although it's true, for all they knew I could be a dog fighter who is vegetarian for enviromental reasons.
I see no reason to open up my mind to ways of life that directly support the abuse, suffering, mutilation, and ultimate slaughter of any creature.
Like I tell everyone who asks me about why I'm a vegetarian, "When you actually realize how your food got to your plate, and when you honestly know how many antibiodics, maggots, and fillers are in your food... you won't have to ask me that question again."
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
June 1st, 2009 at 05:51pm
Dude, I don't see how free range eggs are supporting the 'abuse, suffering, mutilation, and ultimate slaughter of any creature'.
Trusty Chords.
Jackass
Trusty Chords.

Blog
June 4th, 2009 at 12:26pm
Padackles:
Dude, I don't see how free range eggs are supporting the 'abuse, suffering, mutilation, and ultimate slaughter of any creature'.

She's vegetarian, not vegan.
edit: okay, she might be vegan D: I'm confused.
-

I'll have been vegetarian for 2 years this December and I feel very passionate about it. I'm not, like, some crazed PETA member who wants to turn the whole world vegetarian but I would recommend it to anyone and am always willing to give advice about it. One of my friends has been vegetarian for a few months and I've given him leaflets and stuff Smile I also don't think veganism is bad and shouldn't have the stigma thats attatched to it, it is simply a further step on from vegetarianism and is perfectly healthy; any nutritionalist will tell you that.

I do get asked and hear some stupid and funny statements, though

"how do you live!?"
"isn't it boring?"
"what do you eat?"

bread and water's my limit File
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
June 10th, 2009 at 10:22am
Trusty Chords.:
Padackles:

Either way, I don't think free range eggs harm the chickens.
The Great Dahnyee.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
The Great Dahnyee.

Mibba
June 11th, 2009 at 03:30am
I seriously tried being a vegetarian for a month and I ended up cheating with a burger. OMFG
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
June 11th, 2009 at 05:43am
My first anniversary of veggiehood is coming up next month! Ah
SorryMa
King For A Couple Of Days
SorryMa

Mibba
June 11th, 2009 at 12:19pm
I don't even remember when i became a veggi Sad
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 11th, 2009 at 03:51pm
viva la cured;;:
I seriously tried being a vegetarian for a month and I ended up cheating with a burger. OMFG
I occaisionally cheat. but i don't eat omsething induvidual, like a steak. I'd eat art of a chicken or turkey from thanksgiving.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 11th, 2009 at 03:51pm
viva la cured;;:
I occaisionally cheat. but i don't eat omsething induvidual, like a steak. I'd eat art of a chicken or turkey from thanksgiving.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 11th, 2009 at 03:52pm
Padackles:
My first anniversary of veggiehood is coming up next month! Ah
woo!
mine's gonna be in august
kirstinlette
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kirstinlette
June 12th, 2009 at 09:56am
Padackles:
Trusty Chords.:
Padackles:

Either way, I don't think free range eggs harm the chickens.

Well I mean if they're your chickens, or you know who owns the chickens, or you've been to the farm where the chickens live, then you can be certain that the eggs are genuinly free range. The problem with commercially "produced" eggs is that the guidlines for "free range" are much more lax than the guidelines for applying "free range" to other cuts of meat.

"The free range meats laws for chickens for example, merely states that chickens must be allowed to go outside. Laws for eggs from chickens considered free range are non-existent, however. Trader Joes, a low cost gourmet foods store in the US, came under fire recently from animal rights activists when it was discovered that the company had claimed their eggs were free range. It turned out the egg-laying chickens were kept in pens slightly larger than other chickens, but their movement was still restricted."

So pretty much, the farmers can be as inhumane as before, as long as they do it outside.

If you were talking about whether or not I'M vegetarian or vegan, by your terms I am a vegan. I just use the term "strict vegetarian" because I like the it more. The difference between "vegan" and "strict vegetarian" is like the difference between "mom" and "mother".
Sorry if I confused you. Smile
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
June 12th, 2009 at 11:16am
Oh right, well, we get ours from my Auntie's chickens, which live outside all day and go in a hutch with a fenced in run at night, just to protect them from foxes.

I think in the UK the laws are stricter, they have to be able to roam during the day and have more space, and less chickens crammed in together and a deep litter bed, with environmental enrichment to keep them from being bored.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 12th, 2009 at 03:53pm
You can be pretty certain that in Britain, free range eggs are free range eggs.
Guidelines are strict. I mean, you're not allowed to call cheese Cheddar cheese unless it's actually been made in Cheddar (which I understand isn't the case in America). So what you can get away with in supermarkets is limited.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 13th, 2009 at 12:21am
in america, there actually are no guidelines to free-range. there are certain qualifications for organic, and I know theres some kind of Humane society that is legitimate and does require guidelines. England and other countries do have guidelines.

here, I found a link:

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/farm-animal-cruelty/what-is-certified-humane.html
SorryMa
SorryMa

Mibba
June 13th, 2009 at 03:32pm
I have a question. If you've been veggi for a while, and you eat meat, do you become ill? Or just feel sick?
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
June 13th, 2009 at 04:15pm
I'd say it's subjective to every individual. I haven't done it, but psychologically I'd say I'd feeling like throwing up and I've had dreams about eating meat and feeling horrified. I don't know if psyiologically your body would object to having to deal with such a heavy load after not doing so for so long, but I think you would definitely feel dodgy, but it would depend a lot on your mental attitude towards eating the meat, too.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 13th, 2009 at 10:53pm
TOODLiEDiRNT:
I have a question. If you've been veggi for a while, and you eat meat, do you become ill? Or just feel sick?
some people do, some people don't. My tutor doesn't eat red meat, and she hasn't had it in so long that she would get sick if she did eat it.

ok, I have eaten meat in my time of being a vegetarian, but I personally didn't feel anything. Some people get sluggish.
SorryMa
SorryMa

Mibba
June 15th, 2009 at 05:04pm
Ah okay thanks because a while back i ate a tiny bit of meat that was in my food and not realising until i saw some. I felt ill all night after that.
Register