AuthorMessage
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:13pm
lyrical_mess:
They recently found the most earthlike planet yet! Cassie

I'm hoping the next one they find has mice or something.
Yay Ah

Maybe it will have Daleks. Shifty

I wonder where the cliché of the big huge hovering disc that respresents an alien spaceship came into mind.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 04:45am
Peter Rabbit:
lyrical_mess:

Yay Ah

I wonder where the cliché of the big huge hovering disc that respresents an alien spaceship came into mind.

Because one of the first UFO's sighted was a disc-shaped thingy. It was described as a flying saucer.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 12:52pm
lyrical_mess:
Peter Rabbit:
lyrical_mess:

Yay Ah

Because one of the first UFO's sighted was a disc-shaped thingy. It was described as a flying saucer.
Think Innerestin' fact there, I thought it had to do with ye olde Hollywood.

Dno
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 2nd, 2007 at 12:17pm
Should life forms exist on that planet, they'd either have to be microspocic, or immensly large.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 2nd, 2007 at 12:54pm
The new one? They haven't seen any traces yet. They say it's kind of like pre-prebiotic earth.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
May 2nd, 2007 at 12:55pm
Anji:
Should life forms exist on that planet, they'd either have to be microspocic, or immensly large.
Well, Earth had bacteria at first, then they evolved into bigger creatures.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 2nd, 2007 at 01:08pm
Meski:
Anji:
I mean much bigger than Earth's. They've got to be. The gravitational pull on that planet is just too much compared with here.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 2nd, 2007 at 01:53pm
But the planet isn't fully formed yet.
PentatonicA
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PentatonicA
May 2nd, 2007 at 02:05pm
Because we’re ignorant of - don’t know about - didn’t discovered yet - or couldn’t find empirical proof of “something", doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

Humans were unaware of the existence of the dna molecule up until they discovered them back in 1869. Which is only a bunch full of years in human’s history terms.
Up till then people were pretty ignorant of the workings of genetics, to some extend they still are since not all the “mysteries” of the dna coding have been unlocked yet. At least not officially.

In the specific case of the existence of intelligent life alien to our planet we count only on the limited evidence to our disposal, yet that limited evidence in terms of probability it’s quite staggering when considering the number of stars and the possible number of planets rotating around those stars. And that is just in one galaxy!

It’s ignorant and terribly arrogant to believe that we are the only ones around.
PentatonicA
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PentatonicA
May 2nd, 2007 at 02:07pm
Meski:
It is said that the creatures that will visit us have better technologies so maybe that's why tey'll come

Cecilia:
Maybe they already came..

bingo!
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 2nd, 2007 at 02:11pm
PentatonicA:
Because we’re ignorant of - don’t know about - didn’t discovered yet - or couldn’t find empirical proof of “something, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

Humans were unaware of the existence of the dna molecule up until they discovered them back in 1869. Which is only a bunch full of years in human’s history terms.
Up till then people were pretty ignorant of the workings of genetics, to some extend they still are since not all the “mysteries” of the dna coding have been unlocked yet. At least not officially.

In the specific case of the existence of intelligent life alien to our planet we count only on the limited evidence to our disposal, yet that limited evidence in terms of probability it’s quite staggering when considering the number of stars and the possible number of planets rotating around those stars. And that is just in one galaxy!

It’s ignorant and terribly arrogant to believe that we are the only ones around.

But we aren't. Humans have always believed in the existance of species on other planets. We've just been a little silly about it. If we can't find them, how do we know they can find us? Maybe there's another planet somewhere looking for other life forms.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 3rd, 2007 at 01:17pm
There's that ever present theory that aliens brought life to Earth.

Of course that's nice and all, but it would seem more kind if they could visit every once in a while.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 3rd, 2007 at 01:26pm
Neutron stars can emit pulses of Gamma radiation. Once, a regular pulse of Gamma was detected by scientists working someplace in Manchester and the woman observing it (sometime in the fifties, or sixties, I think) actually wrote "LGM" on a piece of paper and circled it.

LGM standing for 'little green men', of course. Of course, she'd discovered something interesting to do with cosmology and not aliens, but still. I find it a mildly amusing story.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
May 5th, 2007 at 02:08pm
There are aliens. It is egotistical of us to assume that we are the only life in the universe. It also also silly to assume that all aliens would be carbon-based., or even on the same scale as us. They could be microscopic and brilliant. (Ooh, that's a cool idea for a book. Dibs.)

That's my two cents. I'm out.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 5th, 2007 at 02:39pm
Anji:
Meski:
Anji:
I mean much bigger than Earth's. They've got to be. The gravitational pull on that planet is just too much compared with here.
How can you know that? Their forms of life may not be anything similar to earth, perhaps they're composed of something else that can withstand the effects of gravity that our skeletons couldn't.
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
May 5th, 2007 at 08:08pm
who knows...
the Earth is only one little planet in an expanding universe...what kind of race should be outside our galaxy?
they might have the same problems and preferences like the humans,and the same fears too...or more.
when our knowdeledge of science and technology reaches a good point we'll try to reach other places outside the Solar System...and they might do so too.
or they're already doin' it.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 03:17pm
Kurtni:
Anji:
Meski:
Anji:
How can you know that? Their forms of life may not be anything similar to earth, perhaps they're composed of something else that can withstand the effects of gravity that our skeletons couldn't.
According to Einstien, all large masses have a large gravitational force as well. Unless the organisms live in a liquid, they'll have to endure the effects of gravity in one way or another. Sure whatever sort of skeletal structure that they may have will most likely be different to ours, but it's really whatever 'muscle' or tissue that they have to have movement with definately have to be greater compared with body mass, to our bodies, otherwise obviously, they'd get crushed. Another reason it could be potentially dangerous to visit another planet with a larger gravitational force, right there.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 03:45pm
Anji:
Kurtni:
Anji:
Meski:
Anji:
According to Einstien, all large masses have a large gravitational force as well. Unless the organisms live in a liquid, they'll have to endure the effects of gravity in one way or another. Sure whatever sort of skeletal structure that they may have will most likely be different to ours, but it's really whatever 'muscle' or tissue that they have to have movement with definately have to be greater compared with body mass, to our bodies, otherwise obviously, they'd get crushed. Another reason it could be potentially dangerous to visit another planet with a larger gravitational force, right there.
Course you have a similar the problem of lower gravity fields. If we were to colonise on Mars or whatever, the gravity field is much lower there. This would cause the bones to thin, muscles to thin etc to deal with the sudden change. Then, when you return to a higher gravity planet (like Earth), you'll have diseases like brittle bones, maybe causing fractures and breaks.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 04:34pm
But that's why astronauts excersice in their space ships, that's what the excercise bicycles are for. There is no way to know the effect of more gravity on a person unless you visit the planet. (Or walk around with stacks of bricks taped onto your head. But still, you can never exactl tell.)
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 12th, 2007 at 12:21am
Hey! I just realized. If even we managed to get contact with beings from another planet, there would be a huge language barrier.
Register