AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 14th, 2007 at 03:03pm
Lupinator:
Anji:
Rap to me is exactly like punk. It's all these mainstream artists setting the expectations for those who are still taking it as a serious art form. And it pisses people off because it's not supposed to be like that.

Rap and hip hop get the short end of the stick here simply because this is a website for a rock band meaning more rock fans, but it's uncanny the similarities between what you get in the underground rap and punk scenes. Both were politically influenced, both sprung up from the same kinds of music, both were accelerated into mainstream stardom in the same fashion, and both are subject to a share of 'posers' to this day.

It's the credibility of the artist which is usually called into question nowadays. That's why you see any underground rap scene finds artists such as 50 Cent and Eminem very distasteful, likewise with punk music.
Exactly. Cassie Its primal form has lost on the seriousness because the mainstream artists aren't into the topics the first hip-hoppers were. Just like todays and 1977s punk.
Wink
Five
Dom
Jackass
Dom
July 14th, 2007 at 11:53pm
people can be so close minded musically. they go on about how they hate how rappers sing about guns n hoes and whatever, but it doesnt really matter, some might say all punk singers sing about is wanking and beer or whatever, but its not true. People often take a holier-than-thou attitude with music and will only listen to bands that fits in with their social group. Its the same with dance music, people just dismiss it as "repetitive" or "talentless" without even listening to it.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 16th, 2007 at 03:05pm
Lupinator:
Anji:
Rap to me is exactly like punk. It's all these mainstream artists setting the expectations for those who are still taking it as a serious art form. And it pisses people off because it's not supposed to be like that.

Rap and hip hop get the short end of the stick here simply because this is a website for a rock band meaning more rock fans, but it's uncanny the similarities between what you get in the underground rap and punk scenes. Both were politically influenced, both sprung up from the same kinds of music, both were accelerated into mainstream stardom in the same fashion, and both are subject to a share of 'posers' to this day.

It's the credibility of the artist which is usually called into question nowadays. That's why you see any underground rap scene finds artists such as 50 Cent and Eminem very distasteful, likewise with punk music.
Exactly. Cassie Its primal form has lost on the seriousness because the mainstream artists aren't into the topics the first hip-hoppers were. Just like todays and 1977s punk.
Agreed. Definately agreed.
...Although I really like Eminem's music. Shifty
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
July 16th, 2007 at 03:30pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Eminem is the only mainstream rapper that keeps rap music 'sane'. Other main. artists destroy rap and make people think 'rap sux'.
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
July 16th, 2007 at 06:21pm
I like some rap but people often see the stereotypes and then somehow make it in their heads that this is what the ultimate rap/emo/punk/whatever should be like.

It's the same in a lot of music nowadays...
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 16th, 2007 at 08:50pm
Differ'ective:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Eminem is the only mainstream rapper that keeps rap music 'sane'. Other main. artists destroy rap and make people think 'rap sux'.
I definately agree with you there. Besides Eminem and Kanye West's videos, all the other ones I've seen feature the same three things: Cars, girls and rappers showing their grills/chains/rings/other sparkly things.

Laaaaaaaaame.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 17th, 2007 at 05:53pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I definately agree with you there. Besides Eminem and Kanye West's videos, all the other ones I've seen feature the same three things: Cars, girls and rappers showing their grills/chains/rings/other sparkly things.

Laaaaaaaaame.

Coolio Have you seen all of Eminems videos?

And as for Kanye West videos; sup Golddiger?
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
July 17th, 2007 at 07:18pm
Hmm. You missed possibly the best theme this thread could have taken. That linking rap with gun crime.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 18th, 2007 at 07:33pm
Kurtni:
Coolio Have you seen all of Eminems videos?

And as for Kanye West videos; sup Golddiger?
Oh, I forgot about Golddigger! I was thinking about the videos he did for 'Jesus Walks' and the one about diamonds from Sierra Leone. No booty shakin' in those videos.

Eminem, from the stuff I've seen, the only time there's booty shakin' or diamond flashin' or things of that nature, they're usually there as a joke, or to make some sort of point. Unless there's videos I haven't seen, in which case, I am mistaken. I can't pretend to be keeping close tabs on either of them. Faith
BI Hoe
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
BI Hoe
July 19th, 2007 at 10:31am
Rap these days are all about money, girls, and them being fly. Rap in the 90's though had meaning. I dont listen to much rap, but people like Tupac and Public enemy had something to say, and thats why I like them. Old rap was storys about the world. New rap is about making dances and cool beats. Im not saying all new is like that, but a majority is.
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
July 19th, 2007 at 02:39pm
Mastodon:
Hmm. You missed possibly the best theme this thread could have taken. That linking rap with gun crime.
I know, kinda ironic that in a way.

Most people are innerested in bling-bling and booteh shakin' to forget the hard guns that are associated with it.

There's a song that helps with that...Eminem Toy Soldiers.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 19th, 2007 at 05:15pm
BI Hoe:
New rap is about making dances and cool beats.
Music used to be a mere accompaniment for dances and beats. It still is, just different dances and beats now.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 22nd, 2007 at 05:29am
Dom:
people can be so close minded musically. they go on about how they hate how rappers sing about guns n hoes and whatever, but it doesnt really matter, some might say all punk singers sing about is wanking and beer or whatever, but its not true. People often take a holier-than-thou attitude with music and will only listen to bands that fits in with their social group. Its the same with dance music, people just dismiss it as "repetitive" or "talentless" without even listening to it.

Well, I don't call hating something close-minded on the topic.
We all have our repugnances.
Some people just can't stand things, as some people on here can't stand rap.
It's not always a lyrical issue.
Maybe they just don't like the sound, the rappers, the era of this genre, etc...
Dom
Jackass
Dom
July 22nd, 2007 at 08:17pm
anyone like GLC? there like a joke hip hop group but their songs are actually really good, with really funny rhymes. Same with people like cypress hill. Im really into old school stuff like public enemy and Run DMC. Theres always good music out there whatever the genre, you just have to look hard enough to find it.
Mike Dirnt.
Mike Dirnt.

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 08:31pm
I'm not a fan of rap.
I just don't like the way it sounds, personal taste. I don't like that song Cupid's Chokehold, I don't like 50 Cent, Usher, any of that.
I think the only rapper I can listen to is Eminem and I'm not just being close minded. That's my personal taste.

But just because I think that doesn't mean I go around talking shit about the rappers and rap music. I just don't listen to it. Sure, if it's brought up, I'll express my opinions but I see no need to go around shouting my mouth off about it.

Although I'm against rap songs that talk about having sex, tits, asses and 'hot chicks'. It's completely disrespectful and gives out an image to kids who like that stuff that they can just fuck whoever they want and stuff like that. It's disgusting.
erikagreenday3
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
erikagreenday3
July 26th, 2007 at 09:51pm
I do not like thehard core rap at all it totally sucks. That is why I am a green day fan till the end and then some.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 10:25pm
erikagreenday3:
I do not like thehard core rap at all it totally sucks. That is why I am a green day fan till the end and then some.
This isn't any discussion. Stuff like 'it totally sucks' suck.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 27th, 2007 at 12:05am
Differ'ective:
erikagreenday3:
This isn't any discussion. Stuff like 'it totally sucks' suck.

What's a discussion without opinions? Wink
trisha_goes_rawr
Geek
trisha_goes_rawr
July 27th, 2007 at 04:48am
i like some rap to an extent. i mean it's still music...

it just sometimes gets annoying..you can't really sing along with rap, your basically talking really fast..

but it's a music genre, and it doesn't matter what music you like :]

i can listen to it all, i love music Very Happy
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
July 27th, 2007 at 01:01pm
HomoChair.TreeHugger:
I'm not a fan of rap.
I just don't like the way it sounds, personal taste. I don't like that song Cupid's Chokehold, I don't like 50 Cent, Usher, any of that.
I think the only rapper I can listen to is Eminem and I'm not just being close minded. That's my personal taste.

But just because I think that doesn't mean I go around talking shit about the rappers and rap music. I just don't listen to it. Sure, if it's brought up, I'll express my opinions but I see no need to go around shouting my mouth off about it.

Although I'm against rap songs that talk about having sex, tits, asses and 'hot chicks'. It's completely disrespectful and gives out an image to kids who like that stuff that they can just fuck whoever they want and stuff like that. It's disgusting.
Gym Class Heroes isn't rap! WTF Gym Class Heroes is Pop/Hip-Hop so is 50 Cent and Usher. You can't go talking of rap like that if you don't know what it is.
Register