Rap Music

AuthorMessage
Skippy.
Falling In Love With The Board
Skippy.

Mibba
October 10th, 2007 at 04:40am
I don't really like rap myself ..
But I must say, not all of it's bad or anything.
There are some nice songs & stuff.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 10th, 2007 at 04:22pm
Electric Buttsecks!:
Anji:
Electric Buttsecks!:
Rap isn't poetry. I mean, The Clash have brilliant lyrics, but I would never say they were poets. Maybe the poets of punk or some other metaphoric name, but in the real meaning of poetry, no.

I heard people calling some rappers the poets of rhymes and I guess thats ok. Dno
I disagree. Poetry is a section of literature, and I think that song and lyrics are a part of poetry and literature. Rap artists, though sometimes suck at making coherent lyrical poetry, it is poetry nonetheless, just like how a five year old will write poetry about her pet cat for school. It's still poetry, no matter how much it sucks.

And by the way, The Clash = poets. Hand Joe Strummer was definately a poet, no denying, I have to say.
Dno I disagree.
...This debate is much too polite.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
October 11th, 2007 at 02:22am
Anji:
Electric Buttsecks!:
Anji:
Electric Buttsecks!:
Rap isn't poetry. I mean, The Clash have brilliant lyrics, but I would never say they were poets. Maybe the poets of punk or some other metaphoric name, but in the real meaning of poetry, no.

I heard people calling some rappers the poets of rhymes and I guess thats ok. Dno
I disagree. Poetry is a section of literature, and I think that song and lyrics are a part of poetry and literature. Rap artists, though sometimes suck at making coherent lyrical poetry, it is poetry nonetheless, just like how a five year old will write poetry about her pet cat for school. It's still poetry, no matter how much it sucks.

And by the way, The Clash = poets. Hand Joe Strummer was definately a poet, no denying, I have to say.
Dno I disagree.
lmfao

I'd rather it be too polite than deal with the debacle we had before, and wind up with some insulted debater spamming the whole system. Faith

And for the record, I consider certain rappers poets. Tupac and Immortal Technique and Sage Francis, for instance. Their lyrics are beautiful, and could quite easily pass for poetry.
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
October 12th, 2007 at 04:59am
Personally, I don't like rap.

I find it all the same. In every respect. They all sing about the same stuff, and it's all the same beat. ..Wait, they don't sing. They talk.

However, I could be wrong about them all "singing" about the same stuff. I try to keep out of rap's way. It doesn't like me, and I don't like it.
savetheredneckcow
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
savetheredneckcow

Mibba
October 13th, 2007 at 02:54am
i HATE rap so much, I only like eminem, but I hate every other rapper.
Laurie L.17
Geek
Laurie L.17
October 13th, 2007 at 04:05am
well i like 2pac and stuff that have meaning. the majority of rap today is about drugs and money and things that don't matter
Riot on the Radio
Jackass
Riot on the Radio

Blog
October 13th, 2007 at 07:29am
Laurie L.17:
well i like 2pac and stuff that have meaning. the majority of rap today is about drugs and money and things that don't matter
I've tried to think of how many rappers sing about drugs and money and sex and the only one I can think of is 50 Cent. correct me if I'm wrong on this. :]
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
October 13th, 2007 at 02:00pm
Riot on the Radio:
Laurie L.17:
I've tried to think of how many rappers sing about drugs and money and sex and the only one I can think of is 50 Cent. correct me if I'm wrong on this. :]
FINALLY SOMEONE. Pray
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
October 13th, 2007 at 02:27pm
Mike Skinner is good. Con
syco-cheechoo2
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
syco-cheechoo2

Blog
October 14th, 2007 at 05:05pm
Riot on the Radio:
Laurie L.17:
Lil wayne. Mike Jones. Paul Wall. Slim Thug. Rich Boy. Soulja Boy. D4L. Dem Franchise Boys. and the list goes on.
syco-cheechoo2
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
syco-cheechoo2

Blog
October 14th, 2007 at 05:06pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Anji:
Electric Buttsecks!:
Anji:
Electric Buttsecks!:

Dno I disagree.
lmfao

I'd rather it be too polite than deal with the debacle we had before, and wind up with some insulted debater spamming the whole system. Faith

And for the record, I consider certain rappers poets. Tupac and Immortal Technique and Sage Francis, for instance. Their lyrics are beautiful, and could quite easily pass for poetry.

Yes the ones you mentioned are most definately. But there are a number of others. Eminem for one. Certain songs you can tell more than others.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
October 14th, 2007 at 06:45pm
Riot on the Radio:
Laurie L.17:
Not all his songs focus on that. Coolio
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
October 16th, 2007 at 12:19pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Exactly. And yet there is barely anyone in the business that doesn't have at least one song on that topic.

It's sad, however that it's exactly those distasteful and profane songs that become their #1 hits.

The truth is - sex sells, and so does violence. They will continue writing those kind of songs because it brings them the cash. Even rappers who may have true potential and a good message are now in the shadow of pointless lyrics and repetitive beats.

Old school is over.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
October 16th, 2007 at 05:24pm
Cobra:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Exactly. And yet there is barely anyone in the business that doesn't have at least one song on that topic.

It's sad, however that it's exactly those distasteful and profane songs that become their #1 hits.

The truth is - sex sells, and so does violence. They will continue writing those kind of songs because it brings them the cash. Even rappers who may have true potential and a good message are now in the shadow of pointless lyrics and repetitive beats.

Old school is over.
Well obv. 50 cent cares about money a lot, some rappers don't. They don't want to earn millions with their songs, they want someone to enjoy in their lyrics and to learn something from them.
Hitchcock Starlet
Addict
Hitchcock Starlet
October 16th, 2007 at 06:05pm
I consider most of rappers poets,but there are some of them that are just trying to make everything rhyme and the meaning of song is in a way lost,like...they sing about nothing.

I dont know,maybe I'm wrong,I've never payed too much attention to rap music,but I think it's not much different from punk,they just express their thoughts in a different way. Or at least they used to do it before.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
October 16th, 2007 at 10:21pm
slackerbitch.:
Well obv. 50 cent cares about money a lot, some rappers don't. They don't want to earn millions with their songs, they want someone to enjoy in their lyrics and to learn something from them.

I didn't disagree on that, I just said those artists are unfortunately shadowed by 50 Cent and the like.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
October 16th, 2007 at 11:29pm
Cobra:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:

Old school is over.
Basically, most mainstream rappers will have the songs that focus entirely on sex and money etc, while you'll be pressed to find such with rappers who haven't gone mainstream, and simply have a dedicated underground following. I don't necessarily think that every mainstream rapper has that excuse, but I agree that sex does sell, and to make money, a rapper will most likely have one absolutely filthy song to become the hit and sell the record.

I think, in a lot of cases, that mainstream rap has fallen into a sort of formulated pattern. Sing about this, put this in your video and you'll make money, and as it hasn't failed, a lot of artists follow it.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
October 18th, 2007 at 06:01am
One of my problems with rap is that it all sounds so generic. To me, rap music just.. really sounds the same. It's got all the same main components.
One thing I hate is that a lot of the popular, mainstream rap I've heard on the radio or on TV... the rappers all seem to be so full of themselves. Like that Soulja Boy song or whatever, where he said his own name in every other sentence? A lot of "I'm the best" going on.
It also seems to frequently involve large groups of people making noises in unison at consistent intervals. Like "HEYYY" or "HOOOO".
Bad grammar, too, I find. Double-negatives and stuff. "Do anybody make real shit anymore?" - Kanye West, "Stronger". For God's sake, "do" and "does" have the same number of syllables, and "does" would probably flow much better, due to the fact that it wouldn't be two vowels in a row...

However. There's a good chance it all sounds generic to me because I don't know the genre well enough.
And I've been told plenty of times that "good rap" isn't like that. So I've got no biases against it as a genre, really.
But I really despise all the popular, mainstream rap that exists right now. Dno
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
October 18th, 2007 at 07:34pm
[quote="Ol' Blue Eyes."]
Anji:
Electric Buttsecks!:
Anji:
Electric Buttsecks!:

Dno I disagree.
Because I realized it was better for me to agree with you.

Yeah, its poetry. Some rap stuff, Joe Strummer, Morrissey etc.

Why wouldn't it count? Their lyrics are profound and beautiful.
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
November 5th, 2007 at 05:04pm
To be honest...'rave' or whatever...dance music...to be sounds all the same whereas I can tell the difference in rap.

Dance music is far worse than rap for demeaning women, even with the women are singing...if you watch like...MTV Dance or whatever.

I mean, I think it's sad that rap gets all the attention for being like that. A lot of rock star hxc videos could be like that and are like that.

Skimpily dressed females.

Even in FEMALE SINGERS SONGS! That annoys me so much! That is discrimination...I've only seen one song taht had dancing, skimply dressed men and that was Electric Six.

And a lot of 'rock' or other genres of music have violence and hatred filled lyrics. Not only rappers.

Just sayin'.
[/rant]
Register