Rap Music

AuthorMessage
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
August 27th, 2007 at 08:32pm
BayareatasticPolexia:
^ I agree, the thing that really offends me about rad is how they portray woman as objects, and that is an issue with all mainstream music, not just rap. I'm sure there are alot of rappers whos lyrics are from the heart but sadly those whos are not seem to have more sucsess. So then they start singing about them " pimpin".
Songs about sex can be from the heart too. Very Happy
nimrodidiot
Jackass
nimrodidiot

Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 02:42am
Minority_Under_Dog:
I don't really like rap, but I respect it as a genre. The thing I don't like is how things are portrayed in popular rap music. Women are the equivlant to money and guns in most popular rap music. Women aren't objects, they are people even if some prefer to, er... do inapropriate things.
I respect rappers who sing from the heart, and sadly, there aren't many mainstream rappers who are willing to do that.

Exactly.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 05:34pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
I don't necessarily think that just because somebody was the first person to do it that makes it okay. In fact, in many ways, it actually makes it worse.
He wasn't the first person to do it. People has been doing it long before James Brown, but he started the whole soul and R 'n' B and Gospel-ish genre that lead to what is the core of hip hop music. And his songs are just so sexy that I feel like one of those superbreast, long legged, stick skinny girls. Ultimate sexiness. James Brown is a genius for doing that.

All I'm saying is that sometimes singing about girls and money isn't at all wrong. It's how you sing it that really matters. With James Brown, sexy women may have been a dime a dozen, but in his songs there is clear admiration and even a defensive nature to his girlfriends. Like in 'The Payback' he goes after the guy who steals his girlfriend and threatens to fight with tooth and nail to get her back.

And then in 'I Feel Good', he lavishes her in compliments about how much he enjoys being with her. In 'It's a Man's World' he empithises with the feministic point of view that he would be nothing without a woman, and though men have accomplished so much, it would mean nothing 'without a woman to care'. 'Prisoner of Love' shows his surrender to the woman. It's all in awe and admiration of women. No 'disrespectin' '.

For some reason, these primary ideals have been contorted to make the music and lyrics we know and hear today.
greendea
Jackass
greendea
August 30th, 2007 at 02:19pm
i didn't know rap very much when i hated it. but then one of my friend show me: raps and punks fight against the same things! so i respect them !
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 30th, 2007 at 09:44pm
Anji:
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
I don't necessarily think that just because somebody was the first person to do it that makes it okay. In fact, in many ways, it actually makes it worse.
He wasn't the first person to do it. People has been doing it long before James Brown, but he started the whole soul and R 'n' B and Gospel-ish genre that lead to what is the core of hip hop music. And his songs are just so sexy that I feel like one of those superbreast, long legged, stick skinny girls. Ultimate sexiness. James Brown is a genius for doing that.

All I'm saying is that sometimes singing about girls and money isn't at all wrong. It's how you sing it that really matters. With James Brown, sexy women may have been a dime a dozen, but in his songs there is clear admiration and even a defensive nature to his girlfriends. Like in 'The Payback' he goes after the guy who steals his girlfriend and threatens to fight with tooth and nail to get her back.

And then in 'I Feel Good', he lavishes her in compliments about how much he enjoys being with her. In 'It's a Man's World' he empithises with the feministic point of view that he would be nothing without a woman, and though men have accomplished so much, it would mean nothing 'without a woman to care'. 'Prisoner of Love' shows his surrender to the woman. It's all in awe and admiration of women. No 'disrespectin' '.

For some reason, these primary ideals have been contorted to make the music and lyrics we know and hear today.
I must agree with Anji, James Brown's tone makes all the difference. I've heard several songs on the radio that are just disgusting and demeaning, and not a single one of them has anything in common with James Brown's lyrics.
greendea
Jackass
greendea
August 31st, 2007 at 01:13pm
and also dee dee ramone for a period wanted to do rap...
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 31st, 2007 at 03:32pm
OMG! tehe Ganster Dee Dee Ramone is awesome!
greendea
Jackass
greendea
August 31st, 2007 at 04:05pm
yeah! but i dunno if he could have done that...
dr cunningham
This Board Is My Home
dr cunningham

Blog
September 1st, 2007 at 01:11pm
Not all rap artist rap about 'Pimpin they ho's'* or about how much money they have.I don't mean to cause offence to anybody but I think people that say that's all rap's about are slightly narrow minded.No offence, again.

* I honestly can't believe I typed that T_T
allhailtrecool
Geek
allhailtrecool
September 1st, 2007 at 04:40pm
LOL i havent found 1 rap artist i like apart from indi fisher

and he isnt really mainstream i guess, he doesnt rap all the time in his songs
dr cunningham
This Board Is My Home
dr cunningham

Blog
September 1st, 2007 at 09:55pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
LauraGruntsForBilka:
Not all rap artist rap about 'Pimpin they ho's'* or about how much money they have.I don't mean to cause offence to anybody but I think people that say that's all rap's about are slightly narrow minded.No offence, again.
[/b]

Pretty much everyone on here has said not every rap artist raps about sexist, illegal things.
I know.
I am capable of reading the thread tyvm. Smile
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
September 1st, 2007 at 10:23pm
I like quite a few of Eminem's songs, but there's a lot of rap which annoys me, and as a genre in general, I'm not too keen. Obviously there are other exceptions of songs I like.

In China, where free political speech is prohibited, they rap about food and sushi. Very Happy I'm not kidding, it's awesome.
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 2nd, 2007 at 01:41am
i think she report about people in general, not of this forum.. anyway it's funny about the rap in china!
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
September 2nd, 2007 at 02:19am
I personally don't like rap music. I prefer the instrumentals of rock.
But all I really have to say on the topic is that anyone who says rap is not a form of music is incredibly close-minded and ignorant.
dr cunningham
This Board Is My Home
dr cunningham

Blog
September 2nd, 2007 at 02:30am
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
LauraGruntsForBilka:
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
LauraGruntsForBilka:
[/b]

Pretty much everyone on here has said not every rap artist raps about sexist, illegal things.
I know.
I am capable of reading the thread tyvm. Smile

No need for sarcasm.

It appeared that you were referring to people who have commented in this particular thread. There's no need to be rude to me, thanks. Smile
Oh sorry did it offend you? Smile

Actually I wasn't.I was saying it about the general public.I only put 'No offence' incase people that haven't posted in this thread think that.
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 2nd, 2007 at 02:56am
rap is a music!!! but also a lifestile!
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 2nd, 2007 at 06:38pm
yes about the foo rap and stuff!
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 2nd, 2007 at 11:24pm
greendea:
i think she report about people in general, not of this forum.. anyway it's funny about the rap in china!
WTF
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 3rd, 2007 at 12:12am
yeah, about the food rap?
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 4th, 2007 at 05:37am
I have no idea. They rap about food in China?
Register