Is being educated not cool?

AuthorMessage
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
April 9th, 2006 at 09:46am
Also, I think there's a difference between being smart (person who just knows a lot about a lot of stuff) and being a smartass (person who can make great come-backs and always end up bitching people in a smart way).

People at my school don't hate you for being a smartass, but hate you for being smart.

That's pretty stupid.
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
April 10th, 2006 at 11:12am
Get Fighted.:
Also, I think there's a difference between being smart (person who just knows a lot about a lot of stuff) and being a smartass (person who can make great come-backs and always end up bitching people in a smart way).

People at my school don't hate you for being a smartass, but hate you for being smart.

That's pretty stupid.

I agree. And if being smart is uncool, then I don't care too much about being cool.
Cupid Stunt
Geek
Cupid Stunt
April 10th, 2006 at 03:10pm
Hmm, I'm known for saying fuck school but that's because I don't like the people there cuz they're pricks and because I find it rather boring. I don't mind learning about things I'm interested in and will find useful later in life but useless things like History and Geography should be scrapped.
I mean who gives a flying fuck about some guy that died a few hundred years ago? And why bother learning about the population in other countries? That and why learn to read a map when you can ask for directions?
and Languages! No offense, but in most countries around the world, they speak English! A friend of mine speant ages becoming fluent in Spanish, only to go to Spain and find they all spoke English!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 10th, 2006 at 03:17pm
Cupid Stunt:
and Languages! No offense, but in most countries around the world, they speak English! A friend of mine speant ages becoming fluent in Spanish, only to go to Spain and find they all spoke English!

It's just common courtesy, really.

6% of the world speaks english, it's not fair on the other 94% now, is it?. Maybe it's just because i'm a person who has a mind built for language and not mathematics, but I don't see why we can't go to the effort to learn another man's tongue. Why should they learn ours?
I Heart Bunney
Falling In Love With The Board
I Heart Bunney
April 10th, 2006 at 03:22pm
They don't think its cool not to be educated.
They think its cool not to care about being educated.
Cupid Stunt
Geek
Cupid Stunt
April 10th, 2006 at 03:38pm
Bloodraine:
Cupid Stunt:

6% of the world speaks english, it's not fair on the other 94% now, is it?. Maybe it's just because i'm a person who has a mind built for language and not mathematics, but I don't see why we can't go to the effort to learn another man's tongue. Why should they learn ours?

Only 6%? Right, I've been told my facts wrong. I was told it was something 90% of the world who spoke English.
Besides, I don't really have any plans to go to any countires where they won't speak English (I'm going to the US of A when I have money), so there's not much point if I'm not gonig to use it.
And you only really need to know how to say hello, goodbye, thanks, sorry, where's the toliet? and fuck off.

But thats just my opinion.
killing loneliness
Idiot
killing loneliness
April 10th, 2006 at 03:40pm
my classmates(xept my bestest friend n deskmate nele, idon't give a fuck, on gsb) have hated n pissed me off n gotten on my nerves for 6 years only cuz i can speak english n german without accent n i know so many forigne words n use them, and i've been the best artist in the class since 1'st grade. i've never been popular over wher ei live..but i still have loads of friends. being smart is cool...if you feel cool, you are cool, uncool people are those who're dumb n can't say or do anything interesting.(i'm not a fuckin geek...)
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 10th, 2006 at 03:48pm
Cupid Stunt:
Bloodraine:
Cupid Stunt:

Only 6%? Right, I've been told my facts wrong. I was told it was something 90% of the world who spoke English.
Besides, I don't really have any plans to go to any countires where they won't speak English (I'm going to the US of A when I have money), so there's not much point if I'm not gonig to use it.
And you only really need to know how to say hello, goodbye, thanks, sorry, where's the toliet? and fuck off.

90%? Shocked

Well seeing as only one of the countries on the top 10 world population chart actually speaks English, that is a big big over estimate.

I'm pretty big on travel (I am to visit every country before I die) so that's why I have a better appreciation of language. I've always had a big fascination with South America there is a Spanish connection there (although there is a lot of portuguese too), so i'm going to use my Spanish GCSE in the future, hopefully. Cool
Cupid Stunt
Geek
Cupid Stunt
April 10th, 2006 at 03:55pm
Bloodraine:
Cupid Stunt:
Bloodraine:
Cupid Stunt:

90%? Shocked

Well seeing as only one of the countries on the top 10 world population chart actually speaks English, that is a big big over estimate.

I'm pretty big on travel (I am to visit every country before I die) so that's why I have a better appreciation of language. I've always had a big fascination with South America there is a Spanish connection there (although there is a lot of portuguese too), so i'm going to use my Spanish GCSE in the future, hopefully. Cool

Uhuh, good for you. I want to go on a world tour when I have a band and we hit it big. But I'll start brushing up on my stuff then. Lol.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
April 11th, 2006 at 05:48am
Cupid Stunt:
Hmm, I'm known for saying fuck school but that's because I don't like the people there cuz they're pricks and because I find it rather boring. I don't mind learning about things I'm interested in and will find useful later in life but useless things like History and Geography should be scrapped.
I mean who gives a flying fuck about some guy that died a few hundred years ago? And why bother learning about the population in other countries? That and why learn to read a map when you can ask for directions?

History and geography gives us an understanding of how the world works, the problems with our world, and past problems. They are important.

And languages, well, I don't even know what to say to that. Its just courtesy to learn their language. A lot of other languages are a lot more beautiful than English.

What if you and someone else really wanted a job, or, lets say a promotion.

The boss had to decided between you, and this other person. So, to get an idea of how you interacted with people, they brought in people, and gave you a situation you had to deal with. Lets say that these people were from another country, and you and them could not understand each other, but the other person going for the job could.

Who would be more likely to get the job?

The other person, of course. Knowing another language is an important skill in the workforce.
Cupid Stunt
Geek
Cupid Stunt
April 11th, 2006 at 11:03am
Coff:
Cupid Stunt:

History and geography gives us an understanding of how the world works, the problems with our world, and past problems. They are important.

And languages, well, I don't even know what to say to that. Its just courtesy to learn their language. A lot of other languages are a lot more beautiful than English.

What if you and someone else really wanted a job, or, lets say a promotion.

The boss had to decided between you, and this other person. So, to get an idea of how you interacted with people, they brought in people, and gave you a situation you had to deal with. Lets say that these people were from another country, and you and them could not understand each other, but the other person going for the job could.

Who would be more likely to get the job?

The other person, of course. Knowing another language is an important skill in the workforce.

I see your point but I'm not going to be stuck in that sort of job. I'm gonna be a proffesional muscian and if I can;t do that, I'll be a guitar technician.

And things like deciding who should have been king in 1066 really isn't relavent cuz they're all dead now anyway.
Maybe if it was a history of politics or medicine I would be more interested.
And Geography is only good is you want to travel, which isn't really my thing.
skittelzster
Geek
skittelzster
April 12th, 2006 at 11:57am
It's not the facted that education is "not cool" but rather
"You need it to be or do anything in this world" For example you want to be a doctor or a teacher or a professional actor or WHATEVER! You need the schooling or you won't get hired and that's what sucks badly!.....In my case it's ither work in construction (like the rest of my MALE family members) OR stay in school and sick with it... And I'm on my way to the "PERFORMING ARTS" section of education right after i finish hight school that is.. I wanna become an actor my drama teacher thinks I have real potential and my music teacher said that if i choose to be a what he calls "REAL MUSICIAN" I could (his definition of a real musician is GETTING PAID FOR WHAT U DO) and I just wright songs and play them for fun not work! GRRR
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
April 14th, 2006 at 07:07pm
In Year 7 I was the only person in my class who could spell 'simultaneously', and this year [9] I was the only person who know that 'gateux' had a 'x' on the end. Cool
But in Maths I'm a dumbass.
It seems to me that as people get older, knowing stuff isn't quite as 'sad' as it used to be. For me, anyway.
Oh hell I do not CARE if I'm seen as a geek. It just makes me more unique.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 07:09pm
Waiting <3:
In Year 7 I was the only person in my class who could spell 'simultaneously', and this year [9] I was the only person who know that 'gateux' had a 'x' on the end. Cool
But in Maths I'm a dumbass.
It seems to me that as people get older, knowing stuff isn't quite as 'sad' as it used to be. For me, anyway.
Oh hell I do not CARE if I'm seen as a geek. It just makes me more unique.

Im the worst speller ever and I own at math, we can balance each other out and form the ultimate nerd Shocked
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 07:14pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Im the worst speller ever and I own at math, we can balance each other out and form the ultimate nerd Shocked

That's common: You're usually either left brained or right...

I'm clearly right brained. With some people it isn't distinctive, for me it is obvious.
http://www.angelfire.com/wi/2brains/right.html
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 07:17pm
I think Im a freak then, half the left brain stuff applies to me and so does half the right.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2006 at 06:18am
You're just lucky then Cool
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2006 at 01:14pm
Bloodraine:
You're just lucky then Cool
Either that or both sides of my brain are dysfunctional.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
April 19th, 2006 at 09:00am
I'm totally right Very Happy
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
April 19th, 2006 at 09:24pm
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker:
'why should I learn Algebra??? I've no intention of ever going there!'

H-F-P-R
I don't know if some of you guys actually think this... but just in case... Algebra uses abstract patterns and formulas to find the solution for a certain number or number pair, it's like excersize for your mind. If you're good at algebra you probably think "outside the box" which is the whole point of it. To get you to think using reason and common sense because as hard to belive as it is.... {not really, no, it isn't... America is full of idiots and I'm sure other countries are too} some people don't use common sense... To fully understand Algebra you need to use previous knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in different combinations, they represent your common sense... Some teacher explained it to me.... only in a much simpler way.
Register