Disciplining Your Pets

AuthorMessage
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
January 21st, 2007 at 02:47pm
anti-christ of suburbia:

Would you slap a child for swearing? no, you shout at them or something. am i right? okay a puppy wont understand you because its too young to have picked it up, but the tone of voice comunicates to them that they are doing something wrong. thats what tyco is talking about. you dont need to physically discipline them, a stern word or spraying them with a bottle or something does the trick. besides, hitting the animal will give it the impression that humans are there to hurt it, and it may take revenge, many vicious dogs were hit as puppies.
CASE STUDY (this is from personal experience): a horse i know, sweetest animal you will ever meet, but when he was trained he was beaten if he did something wrong. now, 18 years later, he still runs away if soemone even brings a whip near him. animals dont forget negative experiences.

Some people spank their kids, so that was really pretty pointless to say. There is a difference between training and disciplining a pet. If you are disciplining it, then it has obviously picked something up, correct? if it hasn't understood it yet, and doesnt know it's doing wrong, then you aren disciplining it, you're training it. There is a difference between smacking your dog, and beating it. Your dog isn't going to be scared of you for giving it a spanking, come on now. If you think its wrong, thats fine, but these arguements you are using make no sense at all. It isn't abuse, and your animal wont be scared of you, unless you abuse it. Thats the difference between physical punishment and abuse.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 21st, 2007 at 05:40pm
Kurtni:
tyco:
Examples of physical abuse are:

hitting
slapping
pushing
punching
kicking
burning

even though hitting is a minor abuse it is still an abuse the definition of abuse is to miss use miss treat and also dominate using physicall behaviour. therefor it is abuse.

if you hit somone for saying something OTT you would be abusing them..

"Dogs hear high and low tones in particular much better than humans do. Humans can pick up an average of 20,000 acoustic vibrations per second (kHz), whereas a dog is able to perceive between 40,000 and 100,000 vibrations."

this shows that dogs do understand tones and can hear tones better then we do.

I have seriously had enough of your extremist babbleing, it's ridiculous. Every single thing you have said in here is beyond ridiculous. If you feel that using physical contact to train animals is wrong, and there are better ways, thats fine, but telling people that they are abusing their pets is ridiculous and borderling ignorant. Abuse is something that causes animals extreme physical and mental trama and can have lasting effects, tampering with the animals ability to live and fuction. FIicking a dog on the nose when they do bad things is far from abuse, thats a technique used by many animal trainers after their pets are trained. Why? Because they don't like it, it teaches them 'if you do things I dislike, you'll have consequences you dislike" Was the animal severely abused or harmed? No, it wasn't, if you say it was, it's only because you lack the capability to defend yourself any other way, and you don't know what you're argueing for.I hate to break it to you, but unless you are training a cute fuzzy little tea cup chiwawa, giggiling and saying "no silly, dont piss on my carpet" doesn't quite work. You'll notice this thread is calling "DISCIPLINING your pets". As in, you arent training them, they have been trained already, and still commited the bad actions. Any professional dog trainer will tell you that you never use punishment to train puppies, that's insane. So, I don't know where you were intending to go with that, but just stop. So,They do need punishment, otherwise you will have an ill-behaved pet. Oh, also, do you think dogs pissing in the house is the only thing they do wrong? No dear, it isn't. Dogs chew things up, bark when they know they arent suppose to, jump on furniture, chase things, try to eat your cat, whatever. Potty training a dog isn't the only issue you have to face.

And what are you getting at with the tones? That doesn't mean they hear what we say in a different way, that means they hear things we can't. They hear vibrations our ears can't process, and theirs can. That doesn't change the fact that they using stern tones with a dog is needed.

okay as i have once said befor a flick on the nose is a lot different from a smack what i ask now is what is it? a smack or a mild tap.. there is a big difference here.
also i didnt say it was a major issue unless the dog is severly harmed, in fact i have said this is a very small issue yet it is an issue.. otherwise no one has anything to argue and then i ask whats the point in this thread?
i also havnt said the animal was severly harmed i dont know where your getting your info but its obviously not from here.. i ask you to re read this thread.
also dicepline has a lot to do with training.. you train by dicepline thats the whole point.
ha ha ha.. no i gave pissing as an example just one example do you want me to list them seriously.. thats just daft but i can do.
also i have 2 cats 2pet pigs 2 dog all of which are very well behaved.. including the pigs no hitting used. the pigs even know how to sit. therefor that is enough proof that hitting is not needed at all.. otherwise how would i have achived this.. one of the dogs we had was very badly behaved and came from the pound and was very harshly abused by its owners so was a little tare away.. this was turned around very quickly.. the cats know where they can and cant go and never walk on kitchen surfaces cause this was taught at an early age that it was bad.

and what im getting at with tones is that they do hear them and better then we do cause somone said that dogs do not hear tones, and they do.
again where is your info comming from i didnt say that they could hear the same as us or knew what we where saying but they can hear deeper and higher tones then we can.
and also a bad tone a telling off tone let call it in a dogs bark is a low growl and a high yelp is hurt and a high bark is a happy chirpy tone therefor us telling them off in a low tone can quite easily be taught that that means thats bad so before they go to do the wrong thing you can do that.
treat them on good behaviour and they soon get the hang of it..
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 21st, 2007 at 05:49pm
Anji:
tyco:
"Dogs hear high and low tones in particular much better than humans do. Humans can pick up an average of 20,000 acoustic vibrations per second (kHz), whereas a dog is able to perceive between 40,000 and 100,000 vibrations."
Where on Earth in that quote does it say anything about human tones, this is what i'm trying to say. Listen to me, I know they can hear like a thousand times better than us and their hearing range is both higher and lower...but their middle ranges and listening to human voices isn't too good. They know how to obey basic commands, and can tell some voices apart, but they don't hear 'tones' the way we do. Stop comparing people to dogs, we are completely different.

well quite obviously if they can pick up lower and higher tones then we can they can hear everything inbetween as somone said its about vibrations if they hear higher vibrations then us and lower vibrations then they are bound to hear everything inbetween there hearing dosnt just stop when they get a middle range..
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 21st, 2007 at 05:55pm
Anji:
anti-christ of suburbia:
Would you slap a child for swearing? no, you shout at them or something. am i right? okay a puppy wont understand you because its too young to have picked it up, but the tone of voice comunicates to them that they are doing something wrong. thats what tyco is talking about. you dont need to physically discipline them, a stern word or spraying them with a bottle or something does the trick. besides, hitting the animal will give it the impression that humans are there to hurt it, and it may take revenge, many vicious dogs were hit as puppies.
CASE STUDY (this is from personal experience): a horse i know, sweetest animal you will ever meet, but when he was trained he was beaten if he did something wrong. now, 18 years later, he still runs away if soemone even brings a whip near him. animals dont forget negative experiences.
First off, humans and dogs are different. We are different species which thank and act differently due to completely different brains. So don't go comparing us to them. But, since we are talking about it, the only basic thing that all animals have in common is that we all learn better when we're young, which is why humans go to school when they're little and why most mammals stay with their mothers to learn life lessons. Anyway, hitting children is a different topic on a different thread. Also, I hit my dogs, I disciplin them, and they never, will never, have never hurt a fly. Now, again, a horse is a completely different animal and again, thinks differently to a dog. So your arguement does not contribute anything to the discussion about disciplining dogs. Lastly, of course animals never forget negative experiences, which is why they will never repeat what they did wrong, so hitting as a form of disciplin works.

yea okay we think mildly differently but the only difference in our brains is the size THATS THE ONLY!! difference!
every animal has the same sections in there brain and negative experiances is one of them also a memory.
we are not that different from animals.
also no one is disputing they are different species.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 21st, 2007 at 05:58pm
Ginger Nuts:
Okay, so we've established that dogs and humans have different brains?

Therefore, a dog/animal only has a basic understanding of right and wrong.

With that in mind, I would've thought that discipline, such as tapping, firm verbal commands, and examples of training young puppies make sense, in my opinion.

But I think if you're going to discipline an animal to a great degree, it must be done when it's young - I think that it would be unfair to suddenly change how you treat a grown animal. A young animal will learn much easier, logically?

agreed
and again tapping is a compleatly different matter but this person said that tapping there dog dosnt work so she has to hit..
if we are talking about tapping then there really is no point in this tread what is it a tap or a smack?
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 21st, 2007 at 06:06pm
Kurtni:
anti-christ of suburbia:

Some people spank their kids, so that was really pretty pointless to say. There is a difference between training and disciplining a pet. If you are disciplining it, then it has obviously picked something up, correct? if it hasn't understood it yet, and doesnt know it's doing wrong, then you aren disciplining it, you're training it. There is a difference between smacking your dog, and beating it. Your dog isn't going to be scared of you for giving it a spanking, come on now. If you think its wrong, thats fine, but these arguements you are using make no sense at all. It isn't abuse, and your animal wont be scared of you, unless you abuse it. Thats the difference between physical punishment and abuse.

okay lets rephrase would you hit anyone for being rude or naughty??.. no.
everything you said was correct then but you also train a dog to stop its bad behaviour! also that isnt the point.. your kinda missing it slightly
there is also a difference between smacking and tapping, both smacking and beating are wrong smacking not as wrong as beating its true but still wrong
and i have given the dictionarys examples of abuse and smacking is one of them..
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 21st, 2007 at 06:09pm
tyco:
Kurtni:
anti-christ of suburbia:

everything you said was correct then but you also train a dog to stop its bad behaviour! also that isnt the point.. your kinda missing it slightly
there is also a difference between smacking and tapping, both smacking and beating are wrong smacking not as wrong as beating its true but still wrong
and i have given the dictionarys examples of abuse and smacking is one of them..

im not saying its a big hoooooo har! or they should go to prison for it cause its totally out of order..
but it is abuse, it is wrong, there are better ways of training, tones do work,
BREASTS
Idiot
BREASTS
January 21st, 2007 at 08:16pm
The thing about using tones is that you have to make sure you're not yelling. If a dog sneaks something from the garbage you need to be a lot calmer with it then when it's running across the street in front of a car. If I say my dogs name in a lighter tone she takes it as praise. But when I say it in an angry tone her ears go back and she looks nervous. Dogs don't forgive like humans, so hitting them isn't such a good idea. Also you should treat a dog like an dog. Not a human. They're animals.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
January 21st, 2007 at 08:27pm
tyco:
Kurtni:
anti-christ of suburbia:

Dude, its a word. Smacking and Beating arent the same. Tapping and Smacking arent the same, if you're just going to keep basing your arguement off of word useage, I think we're done here Laughing

Training a dog doesnt involve discipline if you do it correctly, it involves teaching. If you think you discipline and animal while training it, maybe you should reconsider how you take care of your pets. That is the point I was making, and you totally missed it.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 22nd, 2007 at 03:40am
Shut up and Play:
The thing about using tones is that you have to make sure you're not yelling. If a dog sneaks something from the garbage you need to be a lot calmer with it then when it's running across the street in front of a car. If I say my dogs name in a lighter tone she takes it as praise. But when I say it in an angry tone her ears go back and she looks nervous. Dogs don't forgive like humans, so hitting them isn't such a good idea. Also you should treat a dog like an dog. Not a human. They're animals.

but my point was you wouldnt treat a uman like that so why a dog
also we are not that different
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 22nd, 2007 at 03:48am
Kurtni:
tyco:
Kurtni:
anti-christ of suburbia:

Dude, its a word. Smacking and Beating arent the same. Tapping and Smacking arent the same, if you're just going to keep basing your arguement off of word useage, I think we're done here Laughing

Training a dog doesnt involve discipline if you do it correctly, it involves teaching. If you think you discipline and animal while training it, maybe you should reconsider how you take care of your pets. That is the point I was making, and you totally missed it.

exactly thats what im trying to say.. its compleatly different so there is no argument if its a tap..

and no.. what im trying to say is that if you train a dog well enough then you dont need as much discipline.
im not saying there the same thing but simply training has a lot to do with it.
also training is another word for teach.. and you are teaching a dog with dicepline.
and seeing as i dont use any form of physicall dicipline on my pets and they are very sweet and very well behaved and loved dearly i dont think you have the right to tell me i need to reonsider how i take care of my pets.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 22nd, 2007 at 08:14am
tyco:
okay as i have once said befor a flick on the nose is a lot different from a smack what i ask now is what is it? a smack or a mild tap.. there is a big difference here.
also i didnt say it was a major issue unless the dog is severly harmed, in fact i have said this is a very small issue yet it is an issue.. otherwise no one has anything to argue and then i ask whats the point in this thread?
i also havnt said the animal was severly harmed i dont know where your getting your info but its obviously not from here.. i ask you to re read this thread.
also dicepline has a lot to do with training.. you train by dicepline thats the whole point.
ha ha ha.. no i gave pissing as an example just one example do you want me to list them seriously.. thats just daft but i can do.
also i have 2 cats 2pet pigs 2 dog all of which are very well behaved.. including the pigs no hitting used. the pigs even know how to sit. therefor that is enough proof that hitting is not needed at all.. otherwise how would i have achived this.. one of the dogs we had was very badly behaved and came from the pound and was very harshly abused by its owners so was a little tare away.. this was turned around very quickly.. the cats know where they can and cant go and never walk on kitchen surfaces cause this was taught at an early age that it was bad.

and what im getting at with tones is that they do hear them and better then we do cause somone said that dogs do not hear tones, and they do.
again where is your info comming from i didnt say that they could hear the same as us or knew what we where saying but they can hear deeper and higher tones then we can.
and also a bad tone a telling off tone let call it in a dogs bark is a low growl and a high yelp is hurt and a high bark is a happy chirpy tone therefor us telling them off in a low tone can quite easily be taught that that means thats bad so before they go to do the wrong thing you can do that.
You are completely back tracking yourself. Don't try and restate your arguements to make them seem fluffier and more agreeable. You should have thought of that before you started your 'verbal dihorrea'. If you said something that you now realise was wrong, don't try and cover your tracks, cause it's all up for grabs so everyone can still read it. Just admit that you were wrong if you think you were wrong, don't even bother arguing yourself, that is daft.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 22nd, 2007 at 06:40pm
Anji:
tyco:

You are completely back tracking yourself. Don't try and restate your arguements to make them seem fluffier and more agreeable. You should have thought of that before you started your 'verbal dihorrea'. If you said something that you now realise was wrong, don't try and cover your tracks, cause it's all up for grabs so everyone can still read it. Just admit that you were wrong if you think you were wrong, don't even bother arguing yourself, that is daft.

im back tracking cause people are compleatly missing my point and not reading what i have written in the past.
and that all stand im not gonna come up with new arguments cause i stick by my morals.
im not restarting an argument this is the argument its still in full flow
and everything i have said has once been said before or i have elaborated on what i have said before so im not covering my tracks and stop trying to make me look like something i said before i dont agree with cause i do which is why i have said it all again so people can read that. cause people obviously are not reading the whole thread before they argue there case.
everything i have said i belive is true and im not regretting any of it. im not wrong.

i think somone has to try and make somone look bad because the majoritory oppose your argument.

point made.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 22nd, 2007 at 08:48pm
tyco:
im back tracking cause people are compleatly missing my point and not reading what i have written in the past.
and that all stand im not gonna come up with new arguments cause i stick by my morals.
and everything i have said has once been said before or i have elaborated on what i have said before so im not covering my tracks and stop trying to make me look like something i said before i dont agree with cause i do which is why i have said it all again so people can read that. cause people obviously are not reading the whole thread before they argue there case.
everything i have said i belive is true and im not regretting any of it. im not wrong.

i think somone has to try and make somone look bad because the majoritory oppose your argument.

point made.
Since when is the majority always correct? So I know that my veiws are different, but does that mean that I should be prejudiced because of them? I don't think so. I'm not Jewish and you aren't Hitler.

You are just trying to agree with others even though you disagreed earlier.
Milk
King For A Couple Of Days
Milk

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2007 at 12:39am
I believe that discipline can be achieved in pets without hurting them. Some people find the need to hit their pets, whether it be through anger, love or if they are having a bad day. No matter what the issue, hurting your pets is wrong. It's like hitting your friend. Animals have nerves, therefore they can feel pain. Anyone who thinks it's right to hit their pets are disagreeing with the abuse law. Animals are no different than people, but we still look down on them. We are classified as homosapiens, as are those of the "monkey" species. You wouldn't hit your family... why hit your pets?
Sorry I got a little off topic there.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 23rd, 2007 at 12:56am
Milk:
I believe that discipline can be achieved in pets without hurting them. Some people find the need to hit their pets, whether it be through anger, love or if they are having a bad day. No matter what the issue, hurting your pets is wrong. It's like hitting your friend. Animals have nerves, therefore they can feel pain. Anyone who thinks it's right to hit their pets are disagreeing with the abuse law. Animals are no different than people, but we still look down on them. We are classified as homosapiens, as are those of the "monkey" species. You wouldn't hit your family... why hit your pets?
I hit my friends and my family the same way I hit my pets. Not that that really matters.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 23rd, 2007 at 04:55am
Anji:
tyco:

point made.
Since when is the majority always correct? So I know that my veiws are different, but does that mean that I should be prejudiced because of them? I don't think so. I'm not Jewish and you aren't Hitler.

You are just trying to agree with others even though you disagreed earlier.

This time.
oh... and there you go again making me look bad again, was the first person to post on this topic and had the same views all the way through i highly dissagree that im just following what other people think.. GET OVER!
and please find me a quote where i dissagreed to what i have been saying all the way through beacuse i know it didnt happen,
i have said its not a major issue but an issue none the less. and i still stick by that just in case you miss understood that.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 23rd, 2007 at 04:58am
Anji:
Milk:
I hit my friends and my family the same way I hit my pets. Not that that really matters.

WOW! nice friend Snooty
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2007 at 07:28am
I don't have a pet, but I read this thing about the Dog Whisperer in National Geographic. He said that dogs are different from humans in the way they think. Canines, all canines, believe in packs. Their family is their pack and their pack leader is the most powerful. For domesticated dogs, the human is the pack leader. And if the leader doesn't act like a leader, the dog does what it feels like such as randomly barking at everyone, biting people if its a mean dog, chewing stuff, peeing everywhere, etc. So the human has to seems strong and set an example. If the dog does something unacceptable, it has to be told/taught so. This can be done with visuals and light physical and verbal discipline. Ex: If the dog continues to pee everywhere after you explained not to, you yell at it (Bad dog! or No!). If that doesn't work after two or three times, you can hit it, but not hard.

Like...a light but sharp smack, I suppose. I wasn't really sure at what the guy was getting at, but I think that was it. A dog can't be treated like a human baby for his entire life. Like, my parents used to hit me, but its not like they beat the crap out of me. Just a smack with a wooden stirry spoon or a slap or something. Same principle, I suppose.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 23rd, 2007 at 09:14am
You brought up another good point actually. In the wild, this is how wild dogs are taught. In a pack, if they misbehave, they are bitten or chased by the others, and that's how dogs find their place amongst each other and it's the same when it comes to their relations with other people.
Register