Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
June 3rd, 2007 at 06:02am
VAGPHOBIC.:
Killer_Tomato:
VAGPHOBIC.:
Killer_Tomato:
da_principal_is_high:
we actually have som words in swedish that's exactly the same as in english, for example stop. and there's a lot of words that reminds of english words,

but a different is that the swedish alphabet has 3 more letters: å, ä, ö
The Danish alphabet has å, æ and ø which are pronounced almost the same as in Swedish.
Are those complicated to pronounce?
Well, if you know German, æ/ä and ø/ö are pronounced practically the same as in German.
Aha, I get it. I sounds weird saying those letters though.
Well it's another language Con
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 3rd, 2007 at 11:47am
Killer_Tomato:
True that. Cheese But us Croats have a talent for pronouncing the words in other languages perfectly. I mean, if we practice we can sound like we have been 10 years in that country our something.
+_Pledged_+
Idiot
+_Pledged_+
June 3rd, 2007 at 01:21pm
I speak Welsh...and our extra letters are ll, dd, ch.
and we dont have q, x, z.
I would love to find a welsh speaker on the board....anyone?
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
June 3rd, 2007 at 06:31pm
I only speak English. I took two years of French at my school, but it only taught the basics..and I passed with a D. So that didn't really do much.

I'm kind of regretting that I didn't learn Spanish because in the area I live, there are many hispanic people, so it definately would help. And my boyfriend is Spanish as well, so I'm slowly catching on with a few phrases and everything, but it's still a very long way off. French kind of helped with some of my understanding of Spanish though, as some of the words have similar roots. =]
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
June 4th, 2007 at 01:20am
Moony Madness.:
Killer_Tomato:
True that. Cheese But us Croats have a talent for pronouncing the words in other languages perfectly. I mean, if we practice we can sound like we have been 10 years in that country our something.
Oh wow. Some Danes have awful accents.
amistad.
Addict
amistad.

Blog
June 4th, 2007 at 04:18pm
Irish is an alright language. It's not too hard but it doesn't sound v.good.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 5th, 2007 at 03:01am
Richard Hammond.:
It does, it does. Cassie
Taste Of Yesterday
Geek
Taste Of Yesterday
June 7th, 2007 at 03:21pm
Hey everyone. So I speak Romanian, yeah good guess, I'm from Romania.
I just love the Irish accent, but I don't know how the language sounds as I never heard it.
I also just love French and I can speak a little bit of it.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
June 7th, 2007 at 04:35pm
Killer_Tomato:
VAGPHOBIC.:
Killer_Tomato:
da_principal_is_high:
we actually have som words in swedish that's exactly the same as in english, for example stop. and there's a lot of words that reminds of english words,

but a different is that the swedish alphabet has 3 more letters: å, ä, ö
The Danish alphabet has å, æ and ø which are pronounced almost the same as in Swedish.
Are those complicated to pronounce?
Well, if you know German, æ/ä and ø/ö are pronounced practically the same as in German.
But still Danish letters are way cooler than the German ones. Con

Anyway, Slovene/Slovenian is really hard. It has dual and it's really hard. Well, not because of dual, but generally.
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
June 9th, 2007 at 05:00am
I only speak English. ....And I tad of German. I studied German for three years. I would have continued on into my senior years of school but my school decided to not teach it anymore. So much for that.

I would love to continue learning it though. I love speaking German.

I want to make a comment about accents though. In England, there are different accents depending on where you're from. Same in America. But in Australia, which is a lot bigger than England, there are hardly any variations on the accent. We all speak basically the same. Just in the country they speak slower, and some people have a real twang to their voice. But other than that there's not really any distinguishable accent differences as there are in England or America.

Fascinating.
stilinski
stilinski

Blog
June 9th, 2007 at 10:31am
Here, in Canada, there aren't too much differences either. Except a major one: in Québec and New-Brunswick, we speak a totally different language [French]. And so do they up north. [Inuktitut] Shifty

Otherwise, I don't REALLY hear a difference except for Newfoundland and Nova-Scotia, who have distinctive accents.

Amongst the French parts of Canada, though, the French is really different. I have a hard time understanding people for NB, sometimes. Even if the person and I both speak French fluently. Even IN Québec itself, the accents vary a lot. Montréal doesn't have the same accent as Saguenay or Gaspésie.

...but all that, of course, might be just me not personally distinguishing the accents. Dno
+_Pledged_+
Idiot
+_Pledged_+
June 9th, 2007 at 03:38pm
vonny:
I only speak English. ....And I tad of German. I studied German for three years. I would have continued on into my senior years of school but my school decided to not teach it anymore. So much for that.

I want to make a comment about accents though. In England, there are different accents depending on where you're from. Same in America. But in Australia, which is a lot bigger than England, there are hardly any variations on the accent. We all speak basically the same. Just in the country they speak slower, and some people have a real twang to their voice. But other than that there's not really any distinguishable accent differences as there are in England or America.

Fascinating.

That maybe to do with the fact we have 4 different languages? xD
So, like, ages ago, when people were moving in and out of Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England, it affected the accents people had in different regions.
Like, a Liverpool accent has a very slight Welsh twang, cos it's so close to Wales, Loadsa people from Wales have moved there.
Eh, that's my theory.
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
June 9th, 2007 at 07:19pm
+_Pledged_+:
vonny:

Fascinating.

That maybe to do with the fact we have 4 different languages? xD
So, like, ages ago, when people were moving in and out of Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England, it affected the accents people had in different regions.
Like, a Liverpool accent has a very slight Welsh twang, cos it's so close to Wales, Loadsa people from Wales have moved there.
Eh, that's my theory.
That's probably it. But then what about America?

And what I want to know is how come the Australian accent sounds nothing like the English accent when we were colonised by Britain. Why did our accent change? Weird.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 10th, 2007 at 04:58am
I think its better that the Aussie accent is different. That makes you different, I love differences. Shifty

Anyways, accents are beautiful. All UK accents are beautiful. I watched Dalziel and Pascoe the other day and all the carathers had such different accents. Very similar, but also different. Like one guy had a really hard pronouncitaion of the letter R and the other guy "swallowed" that letter. And my mom knows basic English, but she didnt understand a word what some lady from Scotland was saying at her work. Or when I did my English test and we had a Listen & understand part and they played an interview with this boxer from Bristol (I think), and it was a real interview, not addapted and the chick was talking in Cockney and the teacher had to play the tape 3 times since no one got a thing. Not to brag, but I understood everything (too many Clash interviews I suppose). Its just that I practiced. Shifty
Pia
Jackass
Pia
June 10th, 2007 at 05:08pm
Moony Madness.:
I think its better that the Aussie accent is different. That makes you different, I love differences. Shifty

Anyways, accents are beautiful. All UK accents are beautiful. I watched Dalziel and Pascoe the other day and all the carathers had such different accents. Very similar, but also different. Like one guy had a really hard pronouncitaion of the letter R and the other guy "swallowed" that letter. And my mom knows basic English, but she didnt understand a word what some lady from Scotland was saying at her work. Or when I did my English test and we had a Listen & understand part and they played an interview with this boxer from Bristol (I think), and it was a real interview, not addapted and the chick was talking in Cockney and the teacher had to play the tape 3 times since no one got a thing. Not to brag, but I understood everything (too many Clash interviews I suppose). Its just that I practiced. Shifty

Yeah most accents are nice...
but I live in Malta and the maltese language is actually quite a 'heavy' one, if you know what I mean. and anyway, english is our secnd official language and it just sucks to hear certain maltese people speak it. It's just to heavy and it makes the english language sound like something horrible and disgusting coming out of their mouth.
But then there are other people that go to extremes...some speak english constantly and they put on this extremely fake 'english' accent that clearly is forced.
No expects any maltese people to have any kind of accent... the maltese-ish one is 'cause they refuse to learn english, just to think they're cool and different, and the english is completely stupid.
I can speak both english and maltese properly and I have no accent when speaking in either one.

Hmm...why I said all that, I don't know, can't be arsed to delete now xD

to add. I also speak italian and french but not so fluently. :]
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 29th, 2007 at 09:11am
This is an interesting tidbit to put after I had dinner with my parents this evening.

In Thailand, one of our most famous dishes is a seafood dish consisting of crab. We call this dish:
Boo pat bong ga-ree

Now, a word by word translation of this is:
Boo pat bong ga-ree
Crab fried [with] dusty curry (A transliteration of the Indian word.)

However, there is an interesting catch. Pat bong is like the slumming sort of dodgy district of Bangkok. Like the 'East End' of Bangkok if you will. And ga-ree can also mean a prostitute.

So here we see how the Thai language's simplicity can often lead to confusion, as was demonstrated at tonight's supper and my family spent a whole five minutes laughing about it.
miau
miau
June 29th, 2007 at 12:01pm
Vukodlak.:
Richard Hammond.:
It does, it does. Cassie

Good to know since I am prehaps moving to Ireland. Cheese
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 30th, 2007 at 06:42am
music box superhero.:
Vukodlak.:
Richard Hammond.:
It does, it does. Cassie

Good to know since I am prehaps moving to Ireland. Cheese
Oh, I just have a crush on British accents. Shifty
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 1st, 2007 at 01:09pm
+_Pledged_+:
I speak Welsh...and our extra letters are ll, dd, ch.
and we dont have q, x, z.
I would love to find a welsh speaker on the board....anyone?
OVER HERE!!! Cool!

Though I'm still not that brill at it. Embarassed
Holly Golightly
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Holly Golightly
July 1st, 2007 at 06:38pm
oh...i like to learn different languages...i study french,german and english of course....but my native language is russian...but english i prefer more than russian Confused i don't know why....just like it...
Register