Languages

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:42pm
Also, studying old dictionaries gives us a lot of information about the previous pronounciations of words.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:44pm
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:
I can't understand northerners Retard it's too different to my speech.

Well I can understand farmers I mean people from Devon.
Not all Devoners are farmers. Infact almost all of them are retirees like m Grandad. Seriously like Southern Devon around Exeter has sooooo many old people.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:49pm
Bloodraine:
lyrical_mess:
Do you suppose the regional accents of America have something to do with the original settlers?

Like how come Brooklyn people talk a certain way and "rednecks" talk all Southerny?

Definitely. I mean, I'm English, and I have Scottish cousins, and I'll be damned if I can tell what they say sometimes. lmfao

Its the same with Irish and Welsh accents. They're very different.
I have family from all over the UK. I suppose I've learned to understand them over time.

It does have something to do with settlers but the language itself adopts things from the place it's moved to, as well. That's how Welsh, Irish, Cockney, Durham, Devon, Glasgow, Manchester, etc. all speak differently in the first place.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:55pm
Anji:
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:

Not all Devoners are farmers. Infact almost all of them are retirees like m Grandad. Seriously like Southern Devon around Exeter has sooooo many old people.

I know...its a personal joke Coolio
Steph and I like to mock eachother. 'cause I'm a weird northern type and she's a pasty eating southerner. We don't mean anything by it, honest, we're just playing up to the 'north-south divide' thing.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:56pm
Bloodraine:
Anji:
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:

Steph and I like to mock eachother. 'cause I'm a weird northern type and she's a pasty eating southerner. We don't mean anything by it, honest, we're just playing up to the 'north-south divide' thing.
I understand. It's just I'm really missing Devon.

We just sold my Grandad's house and I'll never be able to visit it again. Sad
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:57pm
Bloodraine:
Anji:
Bloodraine:
NeoSteph:

GO PUT A BLACKBIRD IN A PIE YOU NORTHERN BRUTE Retard
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 07:47pm
lyrical_mess:
Do you suppose the regional accents of America have something to do with the original settlers?

Like how come Brooklyn people talk a certain way and "rednecks" talk all Southerny?

I talk all Southerny, and I assure you I'm no redneck. Coffee
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 08:50pm
Kurtni:
lyrical_mess:

I talk all Southerny, and I assure you I'm no redneck. Coffee

Kurtnis to awesome to be a redneck Fizz

plus there are plenty of rednecks who dont talk southerny Coffee
King For A Couple Of Days

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 09:22pm
lyrical_mess:

Well, I live in New England (where people aren't supposed to pronounce their 'r's), but no one that I know of actually has that accent...
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 09:29pm
.:
lyrical_mess:

Well, I live in New England (where people aren't supposed to pronounce their 'r's), but no one that I know of actually has that accent...
New England has all kinds of different accents. When I was in South Carolina almost nobody the entire time I was there pronounced there R's. lmfao I love that accent though alot. In the 1940's though it was seriously hated in the film industry. Ava Gardner had an accent like that, and the studio she was signed with made her take voice lessons and all kindsof stuff to get rid of it before they'd let her speak in movies.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 04:49am
What about mobster accents? Kind of like "Mai associates will be hehppy ta teah yous from limb, capiche?" Where on earth did that come from?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 07:36am
lyrical_mess:
What about mobster accents? Kind of like "Mai associates will be hehppy ta teah yous from limb, capiche?" Where on earth did that come from?
Italy? Shifty
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 07:45am
Ivana Amoeba:
lyrical_mess:
Italy? Shifty
That's like an English mixed with Italian
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 08:52am
But Italian accents don't sound anything like gangsters from old movies.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 09:17am
lyrical_mess:
But Italian accents don't sound anything like gangsters from old movies.
I think that the Italian accents morphed with English and when you add a bit of bad boy language and Hollywood gangsta cheesiness... idk Faith
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
May 1st, 2007 at 09:42am
lyrical_mess:

There are accents everywhere. In any country.
Come here, I don't think you'll understand my French (from Northern France) mixed with patois. Even people from South don't understand us.
As I have problems understanding people from East (with German border) if they start combining their accent with their patois.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 10:08am
I know that accents exist everywhere. But I was asking about the origin of a certain accent.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 1st, 2007 at 11:32am
Considering that the vast majority of Italian Americans immigrated to New York in the early 20th centuary, it's not so much Italian-American accent as an Italian-New York accent. Listening to obvious stereotypes like 'Fat Tony' from The Simpsons helps to clearly detect the New York accent with a pinch of Italian pronounciation.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 01:35pm
i can speak fluent english and german...and would like to learn some french since i have no intention of learning russian. It doesnt have anything to do with what has been going on lately, i just find french more beautiful and russian.
My mothertongue is Estonian. Its the 8'th hardest language on this planet...and our teacher thinks i'm pretty good. Well, its easy being good if you pay even the slightest bit of attention.
I like to talkVery Happy
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 03:04pm
Tasteful and Sublime:
i can speak fluent english and german...and would like to learn some french since i have no intention of learning russian. It doesnt have anything to do with what has been going on lately, i just find french more beautiful and russian.
My mothertongue is Estonian. Its the 8'th hardest language on this planet...and our teacher thinks i'm pretty good. Well, its easy being good if you pay even the slightest bit of attention.
I like to talkVery Happy
They made a list of languages that are hard to learn?
Register