Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 29th, 2007 at 02:12pm
Anji:
Cecilia:
Are you saying that Quebecois talk in 'old' French? Eh
Yes.

But that's not true Confused
Check out any old french texts, it has nothing to do with Quebecois.
There may be a few similar words. That would be normal. But that's it.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 02:17pm
Cecilia:
Anji:
Cecilia:
Yes.

We're talking about accents, not words. Yeah?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 02:18pm
Sorry, misread 'in'.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 29th, 2007 at 03:08pm
Anji:
Cecilia:
Anji:
Cecilia:
Yes.

We're talking about accents, not words. Yeah?
I still don't get it..
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 04:52pm
I think I see what she means.

What she means is we kept many of the old pronounciations for words. Like, for us, brun and brin are pronounced completely differently. Whereas with the French accent, the two words sound a lot more similar.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track, here. But that's just a thing I noticed. o_o
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 29th, 2007 at 07:34pm
BRACE YOURSELF!:

What she means is we kept many of the old pronounciations for words. Like, for us, brun and brin are pronounced completely differently. Whereas with the French accent, the two words sound a lot more similar.

And it has something to do with old French?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 12:14am
Cecilia:
BRACE YOURSELF!:

OK, Quebecois uses the old prounounciations of French. That's all I was really trying to say.

This is the same as American accents. They are more similar, infact almost the same as old English.

This is an ironic statement because to people like my French teaher, Quebecois is more 'slang' and British pronounciation is more 'elegant', when infact they're both how you're supposed to say things.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 30th, 2007 at 09:10am
Anji:
Cecilia:
BRACE YOURSELF!:

OK, Quebecois uses the old prounounciations of French. That's all I was really trying to say.

This is the same as American accents. They are more similar, infact almost the same as old English.

This is an ironic statement because to people like my French teaher, Quebecois is more 'slang' and British pronounciation is more 'elegant', when infact they're both how you're supposed to say things.

I didn't get your point, sorry..

I knew some Quebecois, and they had so many expressions, I didn't get it all.
Like "J'ai failli capoter!" or "J'ai crissement hate!"
You can read some of them in the French forum by the way.
I didn't think there were so many words I wouldn't understand.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 09:57am
I live in Denmark and speak Danish. Danes evolved from Germany long time ago. Mainly, we have to learn German because we're so close to Germany and because so many people speak German.
Danish is very similar to the other Scandinavian languages like Swedish and Norwegian. Even though we live very close to Finland and Finland learns Swedish like we learn German, I wouldn't understand a Finnish person. I wouldn't understand someone from Iceland, Greenland or the Faroe Islands even though they were once a part of Denmark. They speak an older form of Scandinavian. I find the small differences in Scandinavian interesting and pretty.
Learning Danish would be really hard. Not because of the grammar, because the grammar wouldn't be any harder than any language. In fact, the language looks somewhat similar to English and German. But the pronounciation is extremely hard because we don't pronounce the end of the words, alot of the time. But I'm proud of the Danish language. Very Happy
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 11:36am
Cecilia:
Anji:
Cecilia:
BRACE YOURSELF!:

I didn't get your point, sorry..

I knew some Quebecois, and they had so many expressions, I didn't get it all.
Like "J'ai failli capoter!" or "J'ai crissement hate!"
You can read some of them in the French forum by the way.
I didn't think there were so many words I wouldn't understand.
I don't understand what you don't understand. See it's now where I wish I did better in French.

I hate the language barrier.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 30th, 2007 at 12:13pm
Anji:
I don't understand what you don't understand. See it's now where I wish I did better in French.

I hate the language barrier.

No, I meant that I didn't get your point but now I do Laughing
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 01:34pm
Anji:

How do we know that, though?
Wouldn't the American accent evolve over time, just as the English one too? 'cause I don't see how it could have gone this long and still be 'almost the same' as the accent Elizabeth the first spoke in.
I mean, there's no recordings of the accents around from the time, so aren't we just presuming that's how they spoke?

I suppose American-accent has evolved the way it has because the British people that emigrated there were from different parts of England, Scotland, Wales etc. It mixed a lot of different things to become what it is, right?
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 01:36pm
Do you suppose the regional accents of America have something to do with the original settlers?

Like how come Brooklyn people talk a certain way and "rednecks" talk all Southerny?
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 01:38pm
lyrical_mess:
Do you suppose the regional accents of America have something to do with the original settlers?

Like how come Brooklyn people talk a certain way and "rednecks" talk all Southerny?
I just know that until all the Irish people went over there, apparently the accent was just a carbon copy of English.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 01:49pm
lyrical_mess:

Definitely. I mean, I'm English, and I have Scottish cousins, and I'll be damned if I can tell what they say sometimes. lmfao

Its the same with Irish and Welsh accents. They're very different.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:07pm
Bloodraine:
lyrical_mess:

Definitely. I mean, I'm English, and I have Scottish cousins, and I'll be damned if I can tell what they say sometimes. lmfao

Its the same with Irish and Welsh accents. They're very different.

I can't understand northerners Retard it's too different to my speech.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:11pm
NeoSteph:
I can't understand northerners Retard it's too different to my speech.

Well I can understand farmers I mean people from Devon.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:21pm
I cant even understand people from my own country. Like in Zagorje, the green-hills part as we call it, people give such weird accents and morphing to words I hardly understand anything. Its like a whole new language. I have a weekend-house there and when my dad talks to the local villagers I'm like huh? The same with people that live on the sea-side. There is even a difference between certain villages.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:29pm
I know what you mean, Ivana. I love your name. Anyway, in one language, my mother tongue, there's three types. Andhra Telugu, Rayalseema Telugu and Telangana Telugu. Andhra is the "proper" or normal one. Its the one I can understand. Telangana is waaaay different and it sounds so beautiful even though I've no clue what most of it is.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 30th, 2007 at 02:41pm
Bloodraine:
Anji:

How do we know that, though?
Wouldn't the American accent evolve over time, just as the English one too? 'cause I don't see how it could have gone this long and still be 'almost the same' as the accent Elizabeth the first spoke in.
I mean, there's no recordings of the accents around from the time, so aren't we just presuming that's how they spoke?

I suppose American-accent has evolved the way it has because the British people that emigrated there were from different parts of England, Scotland, Wales etc. It mixed a lot of different things to become what it is, right?
Records have been kept by linguistics experts and stuf over the centuaries.
Register