worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 21st, 2007 at 03:05pm
Make You Smile.:
Accents are the reason why I prefer writing to speaking. Coolio

Although I like listening to certain ones. . . Cheese
Accents are beautiful. I even enjoy really bad ones. Even though Croatian bad English accent annoys the hell out of me Cheese
givemyselfthecreeps!
Falling In Love With The Board
givemyselfthecreeps!
May 24th, 2007 at 04:10am
I find that a lot of English words seem to have been adopted by other languages. Do u think that will have a major affect on language in the future?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 24th, 2007 at 07:45am
natz_au:
I find that a lot of English words seem to have been adopted by other languages. Do u think that will have a major affect on language in the future?

Well, English was derived from Latin and some old Germanic language (?) so I'm not really surpirsed, since Latin is what several other major European languages use for a base. I think we use some french words, too, and many more languages besides. After all, consider Britain. We're an island that has been invaded a hundred times over, and an island that has colonised one quarter of the sum total surface of the earth in return. From the vikings to the saxons to the romans to the normans, there have been so many groups of people that have lived here and probably affected our language. Plus, we're bound to have picked up some words from the places we've colonised, too.

Also, I think a lot of other languages have adopted English words themselves, too. Take, I dunno, the word CD. If you take a look at some ancient language like welsh, is there really going to be a translation for 'Compact Disc' in there?
Not really. Most languages kind of customise modern words to fit their own language, not make them up themselves.
va?
Geek
va?
May 24th, 2007 at 11:00am
we actually have som words in swedish that's exactly the same as in english, for example stop. and there's a lot of words that reminds of english words,

but a different is that the swedish alphabet has 3 more letters: å, ä, ö
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 24th, 2007 at 11:07am
Bloodraine:
natz_au:

Well, English was derived from Latin and some old Germanic language (?) so I'm not really surpirsed, since Latin is what several other major European languages use for a base. I think we use some french words, too, and many more languages besides. After all, consider Britain. We're an island that has been invaded a hundred times over, and an island that has colonised one quarter of the sum total surface of the earth in return. From the vikings to the saxons to the romans to the normans, there have been so many groups of people that have lived here and probably affected our language. Plus, we're bound to have picked up some words from the places we've colonised, too.

Also, I think a lot of other languages have adopted English words themselves, too. Take, I dunno, the word CD. If you take a look at some ancient language like welsh, is there really going to be a translation for 'Compact Disc' in there?
Not really. Most languages kind of customise modern words to fit their own language, not make them up themselves.
And I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with us, dumb Croats, when we use English words because they sound trendy instead of our perfectly natural Croatian words. No wonder some people have such poor vocabulary.
va?
Geek
va?
May 24th, 2007 at 11:19am
VAGPHOBIC.:
Bloodraine:
natz_au:

And I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with us, dumb Croats, when we use English words because they sound trendy instead of our perfectly natural Croatian words. No wonder some people have such poor vocabulary.
same here, but mostly people don't makes new words, like CD the word is perfectly fine, i mean why make up a new word?.....so we're just using the english words for it

when people here are bad at talking english they're mixing it whit english, it's called (svengelska)
Hitchcock Starlet
Addict
Hitchcock Starlet
May 24th, 2007 at 03:19pm
VAGPHOBIC.:
Bloodraine:
natz_au:

That's true. But you have to admit,some Croatian words are really stupid.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 24th, 2007 at 03:44pm
Cereal Killer:
VAGPHOBIC.:
Bloodraine:
natz_au:

That's true. But you have to admit,some Croatian words are really stupid.
But there are perfectly fine words for "backstage", "event" and all the other crap those journalists are using.
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
May 24th, 2007 at 03:49pm
VAGPHOBIC.:

Ah,that's happening to Romanian as well.People start using more and more English words to replace the romanian ones,especially financial terms( "account","manager" etc) and slang language,which is kinda sad actually because it's not necesarily needed =[
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 25th, 2007 at 08:18am
Micro Sheep:
VAGPHOBIC.:

Ah,that's happening to Romanian as well.People start using more and more English words to replace the romanian ones,especially financial terms( "account","manager" etc) and slang language,which is kinda sad actually because it's not necesarily needed =[
Yes, thats whats bothering me. One should preserve the natural beauty of ones language and keep it pure and rich, not make it more similar to English. I learn other languages because they are so different from Croatian. I dont want my language to turn into some weird mixture of English because, no matter how much I adore English, I love the differences more.
va?
Geek
va?
May 30th, 2007 at 12:42pm
Micro Sheep:
VAGPHOBIC.:

same here, people are mixing english with swedish, like this: chilla, checka in, cutta
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
June 1st, 2007 at 09:26am
da_principal_is_high:
we actually have som words in swedish that's exactly the same as in english, for example stop. and there's a lot of words that reminds of english words,

The Danish alphabet has å, æ and ø which are pronounced almost the same as in Swedish.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 1st, 2007 at 11:29am
Killer_Tomato:
da_principal_is_high:

The Danish alphabet has å, æ and ø which are pronounced almost the same as in Swedish.
Are those complicated to pronounce?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 1st, 2007 at 11:46pm
VAGPHOBIC.:
Killer_Tomato:
da_principal_is_high:

PFFFFFFFT not for you, Croat! With your Lj and Nj being two letters but pronounced as one. Thats complicated Hand
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 2nd, 2007 at 07:12am
Kurtni:
VAGPHOBIC.:
Killer_Tomato:
da_principal_is_high:

PFFFFFFFT not for you, Croat! With your Lj and Nj being two letters but pronounced as one. Thats complicated Hand
Those are easyyyyyy. But I guess for you non-Croats (or if you don't speak any similar languages) is pretty hard.

What is difficult for most people who want to learn Croatian is the fact that the Croatian they are going to be taught and the Croatian us Croats are being taught in school is spoken nowhere in Croatia. Actually, we just studied in school that the "Croatian standard language" you wont hear in Croatia. It is used for administration and journalism, but it is not used in daily conversation. Then you have "Croatian literature language" which is similar to "Croatian standard language", but it is used only in literature and writers use CSL, but dialects and jargon as well. Croats also have 3 dialects, used in different parts of Croatia. The parts where those are spoken are not strictly area bordered, so you have a dialect which is spoken on one part of and island and is not spoken on the other part, but is spoken somewhere in the continental Croatia. Those dialects are also detached to 3 types of speeches that depend on, what we call jat. For example the Croatian word for child is dijete. So in some areas they will say dete, in some dite and in some dijete. In school we study that the proper pronunciation is dijete, but that wont help you if you get into to an area where people use the other two ways of pronunciation. Then Croatian in also separated local speeches, that depend on the village. I cant even understand what they are saying in some villages. You also have to know our daily conversation language and our slang because that is what mostly you are going to hear. Though those two consist of dialects and local speeches. Then you have the weird letters such as č, ć, đž, đ, lj, nj, š, ž.

No wonder Croatian is so difficult. Mr. Green
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
June 2nd, 2007 at 07:59am
VAGPHOBIC.:
Those are easyyyyyy. But I guess for you non-Croats (or if you don't speak any similar languages) is pretty hard.

What is difficult for most people who want to learn Croatian is the fact that the Croatian they are going to be taught and the Croatian us Croats are being taught in school is spoken nowhere in Croatia. Actually, we just studied in school that the "Croatian standard language" you wont hear in Croatia. It is used for administration and journalism, but it is not used in daily conversation. Then you have "Croatian literature language" which is similar to "Croatian standard language", but it is used only in literature and writers use CSL, but dialects and jargon as well. Croats also have 3 dialects, used in different parts of Croatia. The parts where those are spoken are not strictly area bordered, so you have a dialect which is spoken on one part of and island and is not spoken on the other part, but is spoken somewhere in the continental Croatia. Those dialects are also detached to 3 types of speeches that depend on, what we call jat. For example the Croatian word for child is dijete. So in some areas they will say dete, in some dite and in some dijete. In school we study that the proper pronunciation is dijete, but that wont help you if you get into to an area where people use the other two ways of pronunciation. Then Croatian in also separated local speeches, that depend on the village. I cant even understand what they are saying in some villages. You also have to know our daily conversation language and our slang because that is what mostly you are going to hear. Though those two consist of dialects and local speeches. Then you have the weird letters such as č, ć, đž, đ, lj, nj, š, ž.

I can pronounce those letters =]
thse sound of č is used in Romanian as well,except it's written "ci"
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
June 2nd, 2007 at 08:54am
VAGPHOBIC.:
Killer_Tomato:
da_principal_is_high:

Well, if you know German, æ/ä and ø/ö are pronounced practically the same as in German.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 2nd, 2007 at 04:17pm
teenage fuckup:
VAGPHOBIC.:

I can pronounce those letters =]
thse sound of č is used in Romanian as well,except it's written "ci"
oh, really? Cool.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 2nd, 2007 at 04:17pm
Killer_Tomato:
VAGPHOBIC.:
Killer_Tomato:
da_principal_is_high:

Well, if you know German, æ/ä and ø/ö are pronounced practically the same as in German.
Aha, I get it. I sounds weird saying those letters though.
Register