Languages

AuthorMessage
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 27th, 2007 at 02:04pm
Well here, we pronounce "i" like "ee" so I guess it's normal to pronounce foreign words like we pronouce our alphabet..
(If this has sense)
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 02:09pm
it does make sense.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 03:50am
But its different, isn't it? Or its just me? Shifty
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 07:15am
Well, of course the alphabets are different. Pronunciation will be different due to the letters.

That's why they say some people have an accent. A French accent, an Indian accent, a Spanish accent, a Chinese accent. It's foreign words being pronounced with the letters of one's mother tongue.

Americans have the worst accents when they talk in other languages. They don't even try to pronounce the letters right. It sounds so...ick.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 10:29am
lyrical_mess:
Well, of course the alphabets are different. Pronunciation will be different due to the letters.

That's why they say some people have an accent. A French accent, an Indian accent, a Spanish accent, a Chinese accent. It's foreign words being pronounced with the letters of one's mother tongue.

Americans have the worst accents when they talk in other languages. They don't even try to pronounce the letters right. It sounds so...ick.
I agree. Croats have really good accents. I mean some have really broken English sound, but I have a really good accent. Not that I'm bragging or anything, but I do. So I have been told. I don't mind bad accents, it depends how much English you know and how often you use it, but some people have dreadful pronunciation.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 10:48am
lyrical_mess:
Anji, I've been meaning to ask you. How is your name pronounced. It is aanjee or unji, with the u being a short u?
You know the Rolling Stones song? 'Angiiiiiie!'

Yeah. like that. Anne-jee. My proper first name is Angelica. But not The Rugrats way. I always have to correct people when they first say my name. 'Anne-juh-lee-ka.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 04:08am
Shruti is Shrew-tee, yeah? I'm more confindent in this pronounciation than any other Indian names.

Coming from Canada, and living here, we get many Indian people and I have so many Indian names and it seems that for every name there are two possible pronounciations just like Indian cities, except those are actually two different names. Anyway, my friend Krittika. Some say 'Crit' as in 'critical', and Teeka. Crit-teeka. But then there's also Crit-ti-ka. And my friend Shrutika. There's Shrew-tee-ka, like yours, and there's Shri-ti-ka. And another friend, Supriya. There's Sup-ree-ya, and Soup-ri-ya.

Very annoying. I'm always very self-consious when I use their full name cause I'm sure I'm very inconsistant in what I call them. That's why I just give them all nick names. But if the way I pronounce yours is correct, then I like yours for it's simplicity.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 05:14am
Well, its not supposed to be Shrew-tee, but people have called me that forever. Thats how I introduced myself for years.

It's Shru-thi.

Krittika is pronounced Kri-thi-ka.

Shruthika is Shru-thi-ka

Shrithika is Shri-thi-ka

Supryia is Su-pri-ya. The way you divide up the syllables is very important because in Hindi and all Indian languages, each letter is a syllable.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 05:18am
Everyone I know though dosen't mind which ever way you pronounce. It's very annoying. Like I want to get it right, but they don't care. I dislike not caring.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 05:22am
That's because we know it takes an Indian, or at least a South Asian to get it right. Even if you say it the way I told you, you'd have to pronounce it using Indian letters.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 05:49am
Yeah. that's why Thai's have given up corresting foreigner's with their pronounciation.

Seriously it's annoying. Because I've been brought up with it, I can tell the difference between a hard 'bp' sound, a soft 'bp' sound, a hard 'bb' sound and a soft 'bb' sound, but no foreigners can ever get it right unless they have learned it for a long time. It's the same with out 'dt' and dd' sounds, and 'r' sounds and many others.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 06:24am
Same. We have a hard th and a soft th. a soft t and a hard t. a hard and soft b and a lot of other stuff.

But Thai script looks vaguely South Indian. Or maybe Sri Lankan. ooooh. interesting fact.

Srki Lanka used to be called Serendip. And there was this prince there who got through life by being lucky. I guess the two became synonymous at some point and that's where the word Serendipity comes from.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 11:13am
Awesome.
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 11:46am
Anji:
Cecilia:
It's the same here (France): you can read many english words in any magazine. You talk and use them naturally. It's common now.
Not as bad as in Quebec though. But that's Canadian French, Quebecois, so they have an excuse.

In my opinion, that is not true. We, Québécois, have a quite different language than French people, but to me, we aren't ''worse'' than in France.

For example:

On va pas faire du ''shopping'' on va magasiner [probably a made-up verb, but still. Haha]
On ne porte pas des ''pulls'' mais des chandails
On ne part pas pour un ''weekend'' mais pour une fin de semaine
On n'écrit pas un ''Email'' mais un courriel.

­..just a couple examples. We're not better, of course not, but I'm just saying we're not worse. Dno
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 11:54am
BRACE YOURSELF!:
Anji:
Cecilia:
It's the same here (France): you can read many english words in any magazine. You talk and use them naturally. It's common now.
Not as bad as in Quebec though. But that's Canadian French, Quebecois, so they have an excuse.

In my opinion, that is not true. We, Québécois, have a quite different language than French people, but to me, we aren't ''worse'' than in France.

For example:

On va pas faire du ''shopping'' on va magasiner [probably a made-up verb, but still. Haha]

­..just a couple examples. We're not better, of course not, but I'm just saying we're not worse. Dno
Actually, that's false. You are better. See Quebecois actually pronouce in the traditional way of speaking French, just like Americans speak how Shakespeare actually spoke. It wasn't untill the 1800's when heirarchy and classes became a major part of life and distinguishing them from eachother was important so upper class English people started elongating the 'ah' sound and people caught on to what is now British. It's that same as the French language. The Arcadians who moved to Quebec years ago, and who first arrived and settled here became cut off from France and it's evolving language, so they have spoken he same way ever since. Or quite similar anyway.

I got top marks in Canadian history during my time in Canada.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 11:56am
And you misinterpreted what I meant. I meant that Quebec has incorperated more English into their language than France has.

Also, there's no way we're allowing you to seperate from us...just in case you're a Seperatist.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 29th, 2007 at 01:35pm
Anji:
BRACE YOURSELF!:
Anji:
Cecilia:

For example:

Actually, that's false. You are better. See Quebecois actually pronouce in the traditional way of speaking French, just like Americans speak how Shakespeare actually spoke.

What? Eh
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 01:52pm
Cecilia:
Anji:
Actually, that's false. You are better. See Quebecois actually pronouce in the traditional way of speaking French, just like Americans speak how Shakespeare actually spoke.

What? Eh
...What? Before the French Revolution, with a heirarchy whom wanted to distinguish themselves, they spoke differently. I can't describe it in terms of the language, but yeah, the difference between Quebecois and French really.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 29th, 2007 at 02:03pm
Anji:
Cecilia:
Anji:

What? Eh
...What? Before the French Revolution, with a heirarchy whom wanted to distinguish themselves, they spoke differently. I can't describe it in terms of the language, but yeah, the difference between Quebecois and French really.

Are you saying that Quebecois talk in 'old' French? Eh
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 02:06pm
Cecilia:
Anji:
Cecilia:
Anji:

What? Eh

Are you saying that Quebecois talk in 'old' French? Eh
Yes.
Register