AuthorMessage
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 03:45pm
Killer_Tomato:
Tasteful and Sublime:
i can speak fluent english and german...and would like to learn some french since i have no intention of learning russian. It doesnt have anything to do with what has been going on lately, i just find french more beautiful and russian.
My mothertongue is Estonian. Its the 8'th hardest language on this planet...and our teacher thinks i'm pretty good. Well, its easy being good if you pay even the slightest bit of attention.
I like to talkVery Happy
They made a list of languages that are hard to learn?

Yes, but personally, I don't think any such list is very accurate.
Young children will learn a language, regardless of how 'difficult' it is, and it won't be hard for them. They pick it up like walking or talking. And as for adults; it varies on the circumstances. Some people are simply more intelligent than others. Some people have different lingusitic backgrounds.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 10th, 2007 at 12:43am
Difficulty for a language is relative. It depends. Chinese is hard to learn for an English speaker, but an English speaker will find Spanish to be relatively easy. Will a Chinese speaker find Spanish to as easy as the English speaker says?
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
May 10th, 2007 at 01:51am
Bloodraine:
Killer_Tomato:
Tasteful and Sublime:
i can speak fluent english and german...and would like to learn some french since i have no intention of learning russian. It doesnt have anything to do with what has been going on lately, i just find french more beautiful and russian.
My mothertongue is Estonian. Its the 8'th hardest language on this planet...and our teacher thinks i'm pretty good. Well, its easy being good if you pay even the slightest bit of attention.
I like to talkVery Happy

Young children will learn a language, regardless of how 'difficult' it is, and it won't be hard for them. They pick it up like walking or talking. And as for adults; it varies on the circumstances. Some people are simply more intelligent than others. Some people have different lingusitic backgrounds.
I would like to see that, tbh.
Some languages are a bit similar and others are just really hard to learn. It depends.
DateLine
Idiot
DateLine
May 10th, 2007 at 09:04am
I haven't read other pages of this thread so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anyone or am completly of track Smile

i have been learning French at school for...this is my 5th year. I went to France towards the end of last year with the school also Smile

BUT my point - I love learning French, and the accent, and speaking it, but the many rules to learn is quite difficult. At the moment it is...interrogative pronouns such as qui and que. And I do not grasp the idea of it fully. Sad

But I love it none the less!
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
May 10th, 2007 at 06:45pm
It is a very beautiful and interesting language, butI must admit, French must be quite hard as a second language.

I do not really know, since it's my first language.

I do have to say this, though: I found, and still find today, English so much easier. Well...maybe not easy. But less complicated. The vocabulary, the grammar, the spelling, it just is so much simpler than French. And that is why I am very happy to be speaking to languages. I can speak a Latin language and a Germanic language. It is now easier to look at foreign languages and understand some words. Like, for instance, I can look at Italian or Spanish and sometimes figure out the sentence in my head. Same goes for German and other alike.

I find it very practical to be bilingual, and I am very glad to have learned English as good as I did.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
May 10th, 2007 at 08:30pm
BRACE YOURSELF!:
It is a very beautiful and interesting language, butI must admit, French must be quite hard as a second language.

I do not really know, since it's my first language.

I do have to say this, though: I found, and still find today, English so much easier. Well...maybe not easy. But less complicated. The vocabulary, the grammar, the spelling, it just is so much simpler than French. And that is why I am very happy to be speaking to languages. I can speak a Latin language and a Germanic language. It is now easier to look at foreign languages and understand some words. Like, for instance, I can look at Italian or Spanish and sometimes figure out the sentence in my head. Same goes for German and other alike.

I find it very practical to be bilingual, and I am very glad to have learned English as good as I did.

Well I'm not bilingual, but lately I can't find my words in french but english -_-
That's pretty annoying.
And I often use english and french in a same sentence.

... Like Jean-Claude Vandamme yea -_-
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
May 11th, 2007 at 11:42am
The Lady of Time.:
The English language is such a whore, if you pardon the expression. Nearly all of it is borrowed from other languages like Latin, Greek, French...

Interesting Facts about English Language:

"Television" is made of 'tele'- Latin for 'long' and 'vision'- Greek for 'view'. A famous dude said that nothing could be good coming from two different languages.

Nice was actually an insult in the Middle Ages.

English is the fastest growing language in the world.

But it's all gonna be replaced by Newspeak by 2050...so...be goodthinkful.

"Long View".... Green day.

Just noticing.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 03:21pm
Killer_Tomato:
Tasteful and Sublime:
I like to talkVery Happy

yeah, they did. I dont remember very well when i was told this, or something, but mandarin is one of the easiest or something.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 03:27pm
Bloodraine:
Killer_Tomato:
Tasteful and Sublime:
I like to talkVery Happy

I totaly agree with you on this here. I learned my first word in english at the age of three and have been speaking since i was six or seven, building up my vocabulary ever since. I read somewhere that the iQ of an average adult american is that of a thirteen year old child, i dno about that really, and i believe that somewhat wrong, but its all quite interesting, although 43 point something percent of statistics is wrong Cool
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 03:58pm
Biggles Loves Bilo.:
The Lady of Time.:
The English language is such a whore, if you pardon the expression. Nearly all of it is borrowed from other languages like Latin, Greek, French...

Interesting Facts about English Language:

"Television" is made of 'tele'- Latin for 'long' and 'vision'- Greek for 'view'. A famous dude said that nothing could be good coming from two different languages.

Nice was actually an insult in the Middle Ages.

English is the fastest growing language in the world.

But it's all gonna be replaced by Newspeak by 2050...so...be goodthinkful.

"Long View".... Green day.

Just noticing.

Oh! I love connections like that! I actually just clapped my hands.

On a more on topic note, the only reason that the Hebrew language survived was because of the formation of Israel, even though technically, they just kinda snatched that land.

And some guy said that when a language is declared dead and obsolete, it's a good thing because it means that another group of primitives has joined the modern world. I completely disagree with that.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
May 11th, 2007 at 04:12pm
Cecilia:

Well I'm not bilingual, but lately I can't find my words in french but english -_-
That's pretty annoying.
And I often use english and french in a same sentence.

... Like Jean-Claude Vandamme yea -_-
ยด
same. ._. [with german obv]
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 04:55pm
lyrical_mess:
Difficulty for a language is relative. It depends. Chinese is hard to learn for an English speaker, but an English speaker will find Spanish to be relatively easy. Will a Chinese speaker find Spanish to as easy as the English speaker says?
Well, in China, people are automatically immersed in such a heavily plated English culture, that English is acutally quite easy to learn ince it becomes increasingly more useful.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 11th, 2007 at 04:58pm
You know, it's weird. Here in Thailand, when I speak Thai, I think in English then translate into Thai. But when I go to Britian and I speak English, I think Thai and treanslate into English.

Weird. O_o
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 12th, 2007 at 12:18am
Really? Mostly I just think in whatever language. Sometimes I'll think in Telugu when talking to someone and sometimes I'll think in English. Usually when I think to myself (quite often) its in English.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 12th, 2007 at 03:07am
I kinda always think English. It started cause of GSB, I always thought English here. And since I am here all the time its like a habit now, really. But when I am really pissed I think Croatian. We have better swears.
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
May 12th, 2007 at 12:55pm
Ivana Amoeba:
I kinda always think English. It started cause of GSB, I always thought English here. And since I am here all the time its like a habit now, really. But when I am really pissed I think Croatian. We have better swears.

tehe Same here, but with French.

I often think in English, and even sometimes I can't find my expressions in French. Rarely the opposite.

But I swear in French[-Canadian]. xD
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 12th, 2007 at 12:57pm
English has lame insults. Telugu and Hindi have such a variety...you wouldn't believe it. But English is a poor language for cursing.
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
May 12th, 2007 at 04:23pm
I'm Latvian and have been learning English for about 8 years, German for 6 or 7, and Russian for 5. I moved to England last summer so I think in English all the time now, except for when I'm counting something. tehe
I've forgotten a lot of my German, I don't find it too easy, especially with all the ''die, der, das'' ugh I can't ever remember which one's right for which words.
Russian... I just plain hate the way it sounds..
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
May 12th, 2007 at 04:44pm
I express myself better in English than in Romanian,I can find my words easier,but I wish some words could be translated in English as well.
aaand...English is the only foreign language I speak,I've been doing 4 years of French as well but I can't say a word =| and I understand and speak a bit,only a bit of Spanish.I'm not very good at languages because I'm too lazy to bother to learn.
Franny.
Franny.
May 12th, 2007 at 06:45pm
the first language i learned was cantonese but i moved to canada when i was 5 so i know english a bit better. i find languages fascinating but it takes an awful long time to learn.

the thing that i find annoying is that a lot of my friends who only speak english get bothered when i speak cantonese with my other friend. we only do that when we're having a private conversation so i don't understand why they interject. my cantonese speaking friend is only in my english class so that's the only chance i get to speak with her and people are always like, "it's english class, speak english!". it seriously pisses me off.

has this happened to anyone? what do you do?
Register