Languages

AuthorMessage
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 13th, 2007 at 05:00am
lyrical_mess:
English has lame insults. Telugu and Hindi have such a variety...you wouldn't believe it. But English is a poor language for cursing.
I agree. Croats are very imaginative when it gets to cursing. But I adore English adjectives, especially British English ones.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 13th, 2007 at 06:06am
English adjectives are good. I love the synonyms, too. English is a good language for descriptions, but a lot of European and Asian languages are much better for sounding formal.
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
May 13th, 2007 at 09:27am
French is the most...coloured language I know.

It's my favourite language for poetry and description, because there are so many beautiful synonyms for one word and making metaphors is very easy and it always sounds good. [well...almost. Haha]

It's beautiful.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 13th, 2007 at 12:09pm
Ivana Amoeba:
lyrical_mess:
English has lame insults. Telugu and Hindi have such a variety...you wouldn't believe it. But English is a poor language for cursing.
I agree. Croats are very imaginative when it gets to cursing. But I adore English adjectives, especially British English ones.
Oh, believe me, English can be quite insulting when being spoken by the right person. Not that I'd know..
German profanity just confuses me. They have similar words to English but they don't use them in the same way. I just don't curse in German because I don't know how and I'd make myself look like an idiot lmfao
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 13th, 2007 at 12:49pm
Kurtni:
Ivana Amoeba:
lyrical_mess:
Oh, believe me, English can be quite insulting when being spoken by the right person. Not that I'd know..
German profanity just confuses me. They have similar words to English but they don't use them in the same way. I just don't curse in German because I don't know how and I'd make myself look like an idiot lmfao
I cant curse in german, but I love it when Germans curse. It sounds so funny. I remember when I was on holiday I saw a fat German tourist dropping his ice-cream and he was yelling scheiße, scheiße and I was laughing my ass off.

Coolio
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 13th, 2007 at 01:39pm
Franny.:
my cantonese speaking friend is only in my english class so that's the only chance i get to speak with her and people are always like, "it's english class, speak english!". it seriously pisses me off.

has this happened to anyone? what do you do?
I hate that. I go to an international school, but we were forced to only speak in English. Of course barely anyone did so because more that half the population of the school was Thai.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 13th, 2007 at 01:59pm
BRACE YOURSELF!:
French is the most...coloured language I know.

It's my favourite language for poetry and description, because there are so many beautiful synonyms for one word and making metaphors is very easy and it always sounds good. [well...almost. Haha]

It's beautiful.
Thai is hooooooribble for that. We have barely any adjectives and we lack a lot in descripition. I mean, we kinda don't erally have tenses, and most, no almost all our phrases and words are moderated by tones meaning that songs are very often misinterpreted. Thai pop is some of the worst music around. Mainly because our language is too unarticulate for pop music to be made. Thai traditional music is beautiful, though.

French rap is hilarious though. I remember when I lived in Canada and I'd watch the Quebecois version of Much Music, uh, 'Musique Plus', if I can remember correctly. I'd love listening to French rap. Just start laughing my ass off. And it's all even more cliched and glamourised than even American rap artists.

I love Spanish pronounciation in music. I think it is some of the best. I'm a huge fan of Spanish music and I used to do a lot of bossa nova so I heard a lot of Latin songs, and it's always good, always beautiful. There something about Spanish accents that make them especially exotic, smart, sophisticated, sexy, I don't know. A certian, 'je ne sais quoi' to it, and if my remaining Spanish is still accurate, that's 'yo no se que'...is that right?

*Waits for Spanish speaking person to correct me.*
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
May 14th, 2007 at 02:31am
Franny.:
the first language i learned was cantonese but i moved to canada when i was 5 so i know english a bit better. i find languages fascinating but it takes an awful long time to learn.

the thing that i find annoying is that a lot of my friends who only speak english get bothered when i speak cantonese with my other friend. we only do that when we're having a private conversation so i don't understand why they interject. my cantonese speaking friend is only in my english class so that's the only chance i get to speak with her and people are always like, "it's english class, speak english!". it seriously pisses me off.

has this happened to anyone? what do you do?

Has happened to me, well, in some classes me and my best friend(ex best friend now) Julie used to speak english alot during lessons, weather it was sending notes or just quietly chatting, i miss that. But it sure as hell annoyed the living daylights out of our german teacher...who is also our english teacher...and sometimes it annoyes our classmates aswell, but we tended to ignore that...i really do miss that XD Mr. Green
DateLine
Idiot
DateLine
May 14th, 2007 at 08:38am
I found also with French..probably not to the same level you guys do..I will use French words instead of english lol. Just small talk. Nothing big Smile

But I can see/know French is hard, like with all verb conjugations, and masculine and femine words and what not.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
May 14th, 2007 at 08:54am
Anji:
'yo no se que'...is that right?

"Yo no sé qué"
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 14th, 2007 at 10:49am
Cecilia:
Anji:

"Yo no sé qué"
Yeah, couldn't be bothered to get out me accents. Well, I got it right! Wow! I can remember my Spanish.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
May 14th, 2007 at 12:21pm
I quite like the Ukrainian language, but I can only just about say the alphabet in it. tehe
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 15th, 2007 at 01:02pm
Anji:
Cecilia:
Anji:

"Yo no sé qué"
Yeah, couldn't be bothered to get out me accents. Well, I got it right! Wow! I can remember my Spanish.

What are you trying to say?

Yo no se is "I don't know". Yo no se por que is "I don't know why"

If you meant "I didn't know that" its either "Yo no se que" without an accent in que
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 15th, 2007 at 01:13pm
Accents are a pain in the azz. One of the reasons I prefer speaking to writing is that you tend to get away with leaving accents off in speaking. They come more naturally.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 16th, 2007 at 11:56am
Bloodraine:
Accents are a pain in the azz. One of the reasons I prefer speaking to writing is that you tend to get away with leaving accents off in speaking. They come more naturally.
Ditto that. I can read in French very well, but I cant write half of the words I know.

And 15 year-olds wrote like a national test and it turns out that 86% of students passed the English language test, 90& passed the German language test and only 66% passed the Croatian language test. So Croats are either really bad at their mother tongue or Croatian is really difficult.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
May 16th, 2007 at 12:25pm
lyrical_mess:
Anji:
Cecilia:
Anji:

"Yo no sé qué"

What are you trying to say?

Yo no se is "I don't know". Yo no se por que is "I don't know why"

If you meant "I didn't know that" its either "Yo no se que" without an accent in que

She said she means "Je ne sais quoi" which is "I don't know what" in english.
Arceus
Jackass
Arceus
May 16th, 2007 at 06:00pm
In terms of language, I really love English, for the obvious reason that it is the first language I ever learned. I've come to be a great writer in English and it's so complex that I learn something new about it almost every day.
Other languages I like are French, and Japanese. I've taken French for about 3-4 years and I get a good part of some of it, but I still have a lot to learn. (Je suis la classe de Français depuis trois ou quatre ans.)
But with Japanese... that's a language that I want to learn, just because I love the sound of it.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 18th, 2007 at 01:08pm
Bloodraine:
I am told that where I am and who I talk to affects my accent. I didn't realise this until very recently, infact, I never considered I had a British accent until a friend happened to mentioned it and I stood up suddenly, exclaiming, 'No way!' I don't know why, I don't really listen to myself that much. I always thought that I talked 'normally', though considering I've been to seven schools over five countries, I suppose normal doesn't exist anymore.

The funny thing is that I was never schooled in Britain. My dad said I used to talk 'American' when I was young, around the age when a child learns phonetics. It was like that at my first school, even though it was an Australian school and all the teachers were either Australian or Kiwi, for some reason all the students had an American accent. Then when I left that school, I spent some time in many different countries, eventually adopting my dad's accent, which unfortunately involves Welsh. I don't like Welsh accents, so I speak 'British' instead.

But when my family moved to Canada, I had a very strong British Canadian accent, and now I speak sorta a mix of every single place I've live in during my teenage years, which is quite a few. Since most of the teachers at my school are British, I'd speak in a more British accent with them. Amonst my friends, we speak 'Patana slag', a term dubbed for the accents that our school has, a mix with British, American, and Australian.

It's all very confusing.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 18th, 2007 at 01:13pm
My dad is very accomplished at Russian which brought him some very unwanted attention during the Cold War, as a student working in the Solviet Union. When he returned to North America, visiting the States for a while, many were apparently suspicious of him. His favourite national anthem is the very popular Solviet Union one, which unless my ears decieved me at the last Olympic Games, has been put into use again, and I definately agree, it is a very beautiful song. He said he used to go around singing it just to piss of anyone who saw him as a dodgy character.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 19th, 2007 at 08:46am
Anji:
Bloodraine:
I am told that where I am and who I talk to affects my accent. I didn't realise this until very recently, infact, I never considered I had a British accent until a friend happened to mentioned it and I stood up suddenly, exclaiming, 'No way!' I don't know why, I don't really listen to myself that much. I always thought that I talked 'normally', though considering I've been to seven schools over five countries, I suppose normal doesn't exist anymore.

The funny thing is that I was never schooled in Britain. My dad said I used to talk 'American' when I was young, around the age when a child learns phonetics. It was like that at my first school, even though it was an Australian school and all the teachers were either Australian or Kiwi, for some reason all the students had an American accent. Then when I left that school, I spent some time in many different countries, eventually adopting my dad's accent, which unfortunately involves Welsh. I don't like Welsh accents, so I speak 'British' instead.

But when my family moved to Canada, I had a very strong British Canadian accent, and now I speak sorta a mix of every single place I've live in during my teenage years, which is quite a few. Since most of the teachers at my school are British, I'd speak in a more British accent with them. Amonst my friends, we speak 'Patana slag', a term dubbed for the accents that our school has, a mix with British, American, and Australian.

It's all very confusing.

I was more talking about the áéíóú kind of accents, but yeah Coolio
I love accent 'accents'. xD Especially British ones. It might sound arrogant, but I don't care, I think they're great.

I suck at doing a Spanish accent though. I mean, I pronounce all the words correctly, but I just can't bring myself to make it sound overly authentic because I'm too self conscious.
Register