Languages

AuthorMessage
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 26th, 2007 at 02:09pm
Bloodraine:
Cecilia:
Here, there's a big difference between people talking english and people writing english.

Yeah. Its funny, because here, people don't worry about their written work, which is 25% of your grade, but everybody always gets scared shitless for the speaking exams. I know I do, even though they're worth the same mark overall.

We don't have speaking exams here in english :s
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 02:10pm
Here, it's the opposite. People speak English. Its taught everywhere. It's so important and employers will looks for English speakers blah blah. People sometimes don't even talk in their mother tongue anymore in favor of English.

But when they write something down, it's awful. I mean, a lot of people speak awful English here and try to translate directly from Hindi and Telugu, but written work is so much worse. Spelling errors, grammar errors; its an editors worst nightmare.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
April 26th, 2007 at 02:11pm
the welsh language is dieing out very quickly, and we should do all we can to make sure it doesnt,
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
April 26th, 2007 at 02:11pm
Cecilia:
HOP TEH HOPPUS.:
[Although speaking English fluently isn't very special anymore so hmm.]

It's not that obvious.
Here, there's a big difference between people talking english and people writing english.
Most of them are good at writing it but just very bad at talking it fluently.
I guess it's just that learning english at school is not like having a real conversation, as you'd do if you met some english person.
Like I say "it's raining today, where's my umbrella?" if I meet some hot dude in a bar. Add the big French accent and it's done Rolling Eyes

They teach us the basic stuff but not enough vocabulary, not enough pronounciation lessons..

lmfao Ah, but French is sexy. tehe

But I get what you mean.
I have a really good English teacher, well I think she's good, because we mostly have to speak and make up dialogues, using ~idioms~ and stuff. In my opinion you learn more and it's easier.. :]
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 02:15pm
Lucifers Angel:
the welsh language is dieing out very quickly, and we should do all we can to make sure it doesnt,

You speak Welsh? Teach me! Cassie

Seriously. I read this book called Circle of Stars, and then Charlie Bone series and I've been trying to speak the Welsh names and phrases ever since. Cheese

It's so cool! Like, I think "help me" is "helpu fu" or something. But you're supposed to say it "helpi vi". Is that right?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 03:34pm
Bloodraine:
Cecilia:

Yeah. Its funny, because here, people don't worry about their written work, which is 25% of your grade, but everybody always gets scared shitless for the speaking exams. I know I do, even though they're worth the same mark overall.
Oh I understand that. I can pronounce more words and know their meaning than I can actually write them down. But my essays are ok, I guess.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 04:33pm
Ivana. Your name is Ivana. The male form of Ivan, a common name. Ivana, if you think about it, is another form of the name Yvonne.

Uma is a common name in the western world. Uma Thurman is a kickass actor. But Uma is a very common name in India. Ususally the name is something like Uma Devi. But instead of "OOma", in India, it's pronounced "ooMA". The first syllable is shorter and theres a tiny bit of stress on the second syllable

Also, Angela is a common English name. Originating from angels, I assume. But for Hindus, the name Anjali is common and has a special meaning. She's the mother of a God. She had a kid with the wind. I don't know how. But she did.

Anji, I've been meaning to ask you. How is your name pronounced. It is aanjee or unji, with the u being a short u?
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
April 26th, 2007 at 06:30pm
Anji:
Apparently the language that beats all is Swedish, I think. There are never any exceptions and all the constantans and vowels are always the same.

It do beat all Retard But there are exceptions. Not many, not that I can think of anyway, but there are some. And the vowels aren’t always pronounced the same way. It sounds different depending on things like if it’s followed by one or two constantans; like “klocka” (watch, as in clock) where the first vowel is short and “kloka” (wise, in plural) where the first vowel is long (kinda like this: klooka). But there are exceptions such as “honom” (him) where the first vowel is short even though it’s only followed by one constantan. So yeah, it isn’t perfect. But almost Razz Personally I think it’s the easiest language in the world but I guess that’s because it’s may mother tongue.

lyrical_mess:
Agreed. When your world has a ten kilometre radius, well, that's no good. And language helps break those boundaries. And it also gives us GSBians something to talk about. [b]Like the first girl I talked to on here was Swedish. She taught me some Swedish phrases (all of which I forgot)[b]

That’s too bad. I’ll give you a quick course!

Hi = Hej
Hello = Hallå
How are you? = Hur mår du?
What’s your name? = Vad heter du?
My name is… = Mitt namn är…
I am X years old = Jag är X år gammal
How old are you? = Hur gammal är du?
I only know a little Swedish = Jag kan bara lite svenska
I don’t understand = Jag förstår inte

It’s sort of unnecessary for any tourist to know any Swedish words whatsoever though since everyone (and I basically mean everyone) understands and speaks English here to some degree, even though Swedish is our native language and we’re not bilingual. But since there are so few people speaking Swedish it’s compulsory to study English in school. It’s also compulsory to learn a third langue and you get to choose between French, German and Spanish. Later on most people are able to chose a forth and sometimes even a fifth language. I’ve studied five myself; English, Spanish, Japanese, German and Latin (not counting my mother tongue of course). The said thing is that I’m forgetting a lot and that I don’t have time to really learn the languages properly. But I will, in good time ^^
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 07:04pm
Crying or Very sad I don't know how to pronounce the letters. Can you teach me the alphabet first?
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
April 26th, 2007 at 08:00pm
I know this will have no relevance what so ever. but. o well.

I like letters.
I find it interesting that even though most use the roman alphabet, all the languages, dressed up the letters in a special way.
Like the Swedish people with the å and some other people with the ž's.
I guess it shows how we're all the same...or something like that.

....yeah, see? told you this wouldn't make sense..
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
April 27th, 2007 at 03:59am
lyrical_mess:
Crying or Very sad I don't know how to pronounce the letters. Can you teach me the alphabet first?
Oh, I thought you’re just gonna use it when writing (for some reason Confused).

Teach you the alphabet? Um, I don’t know how I’d do that…I can’t teach you the pronunciation of our letters, especially not the vowels, by using the English alphabet because the pronunciation of their letters can’t be used to describe the ones in the Swedish alphabet. And I don’t know what else to do Sad
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 04:04am
Boo.

Um...record a video of yourself saying the alphabet, holding up each letter as you say it and put it on Youtube to educate Swedish-ignorant masses?
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 04:06am
my mothertongue is the 8'th hardest on our planet...and i'm quite good at it....*laughs*
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 04:07am
Well duh. Its your mother tongue. If you're not fluent in your mother tongue, well, you oughta be ashamed!

So its really not special that you're pretty good at your mother tongue. What is it by the way?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 06:16am
lyrical_mess:
Ivana. Your name is Ivana. The male form of Ivan, a common name. Ivana, if you think about it, is another form of the name Yvonne.

Uma is a common name in the western world. Uma Thurman is a kickass actor. But Uma is a very common name in India. Ususally the name is something like Uma Devi. But instead of "OOma", in India, it's pronounced "ooMA". The first syllable is shorter and theres a tiny bit of stress on the second syllable

Also, Angela is a common English name. Originating from angels, I assume. But for Hindus, the name Anjali is common and has a special meaning. She's the mother of a God. She had a kid with the wind. I don't know how. But she did.

Anji, I've been meaning to ask you. How is your name pronounced. It is aanjee or unji, with the u being a short u?
Yes, yes it is Very Happy
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 27th, 2007 at 07:30am
lyrical_mess:
Lucifers Angel:

You speak Welsh? Teach me! Cassie

Seriously. I read this book called Circle of Stars, and then Charlie Bone series and I've been trying to speak the Welsh names and phrases ever since. Cheese

It's so cool! Like, I think "help me" is "helpu fu" or something. But you're supposed to say it "helpi vi". Is that right?

do brofa a chyfnertha 'ch!! (yes i will try and help you)

alli pm 'm ag unrhyw bynciau cei am Cymraeg (you can Pm me with any questions you have about welsh)

Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 12:35pm
我会讲中文. Cool

There's a bunch of English words being used in China (well at least where I was), like 'cool' and 'cheese' and 'DVD', but it's funny how they pronounce it:
Cool -> 'coo-uh'
Cheese --> 'chee-sa'
DVD --> 'dee-vway-dee'
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 01:43pm
.:
我会讲中文. Cool

There's a bunch of English words being used in China (well at least where I was), like 'cool' and 'cheese' and 'DVD', but it's funny how they pronounce it:
Cool -> 'coo-uh'
Cheese --> 'chee-sa'
DVD --> 'dee-vway-dee'
I love it how they pronounce hi-fi in French. It sounds nothing like they pronounce it in English.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 27th, 2007 at 01:48pm
Dr. Cuddy:
.:
我会讲中文. Cool

Cool -> 'coo-uh'
Cheese --> 'chee-sa'
DVD --> 'dee-vway-dee'
I love it how they pronounce hi-fi in French. It sounds nothing like they pronounce it in English.

"ee fee"

How d'you pronounce it in english? Shifty
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 01:50pm
Cecilia:
Dr. Cuddy:
.:
我会讲中文. Cool

Cool -> 'coo-uh'
Cheese --> 'chee-sa'
DVD --> 'dee-vway-dee'

"ee fee"

How d'you pronounce it in english? Shifty

Hi-Fi
Think that's not very helpful.

So that "hi" rhymes with "high" and the same with "fi" and "figh", I guess. xD
Register