Smoking

AuthorMessage
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 17th, 2009 at 01:51pm
Punkmunkey:
I have pretty bad anxiety so I am a fan of smoking.

I have horrible anxiety problems and am straight edge. Considering the usage of nicotine increases anxiety (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1010221.stm) I fail to see how having anxiety problems would make one a "fan" of something that increases the problem.
Punkmunkey
Idiot
Punkmunkey
September 17th, 2009 at 07:57pm
iViva la Andrea!:
Punkmunkey:

I have horrible anxiety problems and am straight edge. Considering the usage of nicotine increases anxiety (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1010221.stm) I fail to see how having anxiety problems would make one a "fan" of something that increases the problem.

because personally, it puts me at ease.
inkworks
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
inkworks
September 17th, 2009 at 08:13pm
Punkmunkey:
iViva la Andrea!:
Punkmunkey:

It's a personal choice, get over it - what I don't understand is why so many people have to sit on a high horse and bitch about other people who do smoke. It doesn't make you a better person and it's none of your business either way what someone else does with their life.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 17th, 2009 at 08:23pm
inkworks:
Punkmunkey:
iViva la Andrea!:
Punkmunkey:

It's a personal choice, get over it - what I don't understand is why so many people have to sit on a high horse and bitch about other people who do smoke. It doesn't make you a better person and it's none of your business either way what someone else does with their life.

iw-Because this is a thread to discuss thoughts and opinions on smoking. Smile Is there a reason only smokers are allowed to do this? Unless I'm seeing everything wrong and this ISN'T the Specific Discussion forum and this ISN'T a Smoking thread... is that the case?

pm-Nicotine basically creates an illusion of momentary ease, like a lot of other drugs. However, as many studies will tell you, smoking has been shown to increase the problems that it advertises itself as easing. Much like alcohol being a depressant, although many people drink to take off the edge or ease their sadness, when in reality, it is a temporary fix and increases problems of anxiety and depression.
Punkmunkey
Idiot
Punkmunkey
September 17th, 2009 at 08:29pm
iViva la Andrea!:
inkworks:
Punkmunkey:
iViva la Andrea!:
Punkmunkey:

iw-Because this is a thread to discuss thoughts and opinions on smoking. Smile Is there a reason only smokers are allowed to do this? Unless I'm seeing everything wrong and this ISN'T the Specific Discussion forum and this ISN'T a Smoking thread... is that the case?

pm-Nicotine basically creates an illusion of momentary ease, like a lot of other drugs. However, as many studies will tell you, smoking has been shown to increase the problems that it advertises itself as easing. Much like alcohol being a depressant, although many people drink to take off the edge or ease their sadness, when in reality, it is a temporary fix and increases problems of anxiety and depression.

drugs <3 without them, green day wouldnt have written insomniac.
inkworks
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
inkworks
September 17th, 2009 at 08:30pm
iViva la Andrea!:
inkworks:
Punkmunkey:
iViva la Andrea!:
Punkmunkey:

iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 17th, 2009 at 08:37pm
I love mature and insightful people. They're my favorites.

So I take that as a "no, there is no reason," and a "yes, this is the right thread," mkay, thanks.
Punkmunkey
Idiot
Punkmunkey
September 17th, 2009 at 08:45pm
i love newbies Very Happy
inkworks
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
inkworks
September 17th, 2009 at 08:47pm
iViva la Andrea!:
I love mature and insightful people. They're my favorites.

So I take that as a "no, there is no reason," and a "yes, this is the right thread," mkay, thanks.

Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
September 18th, 2009 at 08:13am
Smoking for me is sort of just an easy thing to do. Now I've started up again I just find it far more effort to avoid smoking. I can go a couple of days without one easily. I haven't had one since Monday, actually. But if I'm at work I can go for a cigarette break every hour or so if its not too busy which means I get to go out back and rest my feet. Also, from working in a pub, it calms me down and stops me wanting to kill ignorant people on a friday night. When I'm out myself I could either sit inside the pub on my lonesome or join my friends outside when they go for a fag. If I did try to quit I'd just end up getting drunk and feeling like one anyway.

The worst thing is when people start preaching to you about smoking though. If someone does that to me I'll tell them to fuck off and get out of my face. I don't harass other people for drinking, smoking, doing drugs, driving erratically, having unprotected sex, whatever their lifestyle entails etc - its up to them to do what they want. I might step in and help a friend if it turns into a proper problem, but otherwise I don't preach. So why do people do it to me when its not actually any of their fucking business?
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
September 18th, 2009 at 05:08pm
I think that if you smoke, that's your choice, and it's fair game.
I don't think that smokers should sue, because well, it says it can cause cancer.
I think that smoking is a waste, and nasty habbit.
It takes a ton of money.
I don't like the yellow teeth, bad breath, and smell.
But I wont sit and yell at someone for smoking.
Just because they do, doesn't mean I have to, so I have nothing to complain about.

However, I don't think that they should be aloud to smoke in public buildings,
Because some people can't take the smoke, like my sister, with asthma.
But, outside, I don't see a problem.

Really smoke or not, I don't see a difference in the person that much.
Other then they get all annoying when they need to smoke.
clark
GSBitch
clark
September 18th, 2009 at 06:07pm
inkworks:
this is me quoting the best reply ever
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 18th, 2009 at 09:31pm
lawl.
It is a good one.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
September 19th, 2009 at 08:04am
SidKnee.:
I don't think that smokers should sue, because well, it says it can cause cancer.
It takes a ton of money.
Just because they do, doesn't mean I have to, so I have nothing to complain about.

In Britain you can't smoke in public buildings. Anywhere in public with 3 walls and a ceiling is deemed as illegel to smoke in.

Which is an excellent move by the Government, although it's a factor in the decline of pubs in this country which is worrying.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 19th, 2009 at 03:32pm
Jay Tee:
SidKnee.:
It takes a ton of money.

In Britain you can't smoke in public buildings. Anywhere in public with 3 walls and a ceiling is deemed as illegel to smoke in.

Which is an excellent move by the Government, although it's a factor in the decline of pubs in this country which is worrying.

Ohh. well it's not illegal in all of America.
Sooo, yeah.

But, pubs/bars or whatnot, I see it as different, I think that those would be fine to smoke in.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 19th, 2009 at 07:26pm
SidKnee.:
Sooo, yeah.

But, pubs/bars or whatnot, I see it as different, I think that those would be fine to smoke in.

It is in most of America. I don't think I've ever been in a public building where it's legal... most apartment complexes don't even allow people to smoke in their apartments.

I still think bars should have designated smoking areas, preferably outside. There's not the factor of harming children or (hopefully) pregnant women who may be around, but there are still people who go to bars and don't want to be in a building that smells like cigarette smoke, and people with asthma. Dno
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 19th, 2009 at 09:54pm
iViva la Andrea!:
SidKnee.:
Sooo, yeah.

It is in most of America. I don't think I've ever been in a public building where it's legal... most apartment complexes don't even allow people to smoke in their apartments.

I still think bars should have designated smoking areas, preferably outside. There's not the factor of harming children or (hopefully) pregnant women who may be around, but there are still people who go to bars and don't want to be in a building that smells like cigarette smoke, and people with asthma. Dno

No, it's not.
I have been a number of places that allow it.
I don't know, but I travle a lot, maybe you don't and that's why.
I have gone to many public places that allow it.

I think that bars you should be allowed to go in and smoke, it connects with drinking offten, even for people that don't smoke while sober.

Children and pregnate women shouldn't be in a bar in the first place, so that's all on them, children can't even go in bars....so yeah.

And as far as a certain area for them to smoke in a bar, then I could agree with that, but I don't agree that it should be outside, it should be in the bar somewhere.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 19th, 2009 at 09:55pm
SidKnee.:
iViva la Andrea!:
SidKnee.:
Sooo, yeah.

No, it's not.
I have been a number of places that allow it.
I don't know, but I travle a lot, maybe you don't and that's why.
I have gone to many public places that allow it.

I think that bars you should be allowed to go in and smoke, it connects with drinking offten, even for people that don't smoke while sober.

Children and pregnate women shouldn't be in a bar in the first place, so that's all on them, children can't even go in bars....so yeah.

And as far as a certain area for them to smoke in a bar, then I could agree with that, but I don't agree that it should be outside, it should be in the bar somewhere.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 20th, 2009 at 02:08am
That's why I said it wouldn't affect children and pregnant women. Wink

Just because something is often connected to drinking doesn't mean it should be allowed in bars. And unless the building is big, just having a curtained area of said building isn't going to do anything.

I've never seen a public building anywhere in New England where it's allowed, except bars. Or in New York. California basically flat out bans smoking anywhere but peoples homes, and there was even a proposal recently of giving people extra fines on tickets if they were caught smoking in a car with minors in the car. I have a friend who has lived in about 6 states and doesn't think she's ever seen a public building, excluding bars, that allow smoking.

In fact, I just looked up smoking laws by state in the U.S.
The most leinient states are Texas, South Dakota, and Michigan.
Texas: Smoking is restricted to designated areas in elevators, enclosed theaters or movie houses, libraries, museums, transit systems or intrastate buses, planes, and trains. An exception is made for a participant in an authorized theatrical performance.
South Dakota: Smoking is prohibited in most public places and places of employment except: 1) most restaurants licensed to sell alcohol; 2) bars; 3) sleeping rooms in hotels/motels; 4) video lottery establishments; and 5) tobacco and liquor stores. The legislature is the exclusive regulator of all matters relating to the use of tobacco products.
Michigan: Smoking is restricted to designated areas in public places or at meetings of public bodies. See the definition of public place for more details on what is covered. If a smoking area is designated, existing physical barriers and ventilation systems shall be used to minimize the toxic effect of smoke in both smoking and adjacent nonsmoking areas. Single room public places meet this requirement if they designate one-half the room as nonsmoking. This does not apply to: 1) food service establishments; 2) licensed premises; 3) private enclosed rooms or offices occupied exclusively by smokers even if the room or office may be visited by non-smokers; 4) private functions when the seating arrangements are under the control of the sponsor of the function; and 5) private educational facilities after regular school hours.
http://slati.lungusa.org/states.asp
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
September 20th, 2009 at 06:45am
SidKnee.:

I don't know what kind of bar culture you have in America but I don't see why not. It depends on the sort of place I suppose but my dad used to take me to the pub every sunday when I was a toddler.
Pregnant women are still women, they're still adults who can expect to have some sort of social life and nobody needs to pass judgment on them and say they ought not to be in a bar or a pub or anywhere else.
Register