Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
Baguelle
King For A Couple Of Days
Baguelle
April 8th, 2006 at 05:11pm
Bloodraine:
Basket*Case:
Wait, if labels suck (and I might be wrong, you might have it for another reason)then what's with your name, *PuNk_In_DrUbLiC*? Confused

Punk In Drublic is an album, she isn't saying she's Punk.

Haha. My fault. Sorry. Laughing
Baguelle
Baguelle
April 8th, 2006 at 05:13pm
Like I've said a million times, I'm fine with social groups and labels.
HeyUnlovingx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
HeyUnlovingx
April 9th, 2006 at 06:55pm
Label's are for soupcans..
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 9th, 2006 at 07:12pm
When some one labels me, i say "stop pickle jarring me*

I think being stereotyped and labeled is unaviodable. Its just the way society is now.
You can't just be yourself anymore. Everyone wants you to be someone or something your not
SARAnade
SARAnade
April 9th, 2006 at 07:17pm
lornytehpsycho:

Chavs dont realise THEY are the reason individuals who are labeled 'goths' are actually sad BECAUSE they are being labelled, its just bullying. Sad

i know this is going to sound strange, but what exactly is a "chav" ive asked before but the person who defined "them" didnt explain very well....im curious?..............
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 9th, 2006 at 07:20pm
LovesBillieJoe:
lornytehpsycho:

Chavs dont realise THEY are the reason individuals who are labeled 'goths' are actually sad BECAUSE they are being labelled, its just bullying. Sad

i know this is going to sound strange, but what exactly is a "chav" ive asked before but the person who defined "them" didnt explain very well....im curious?..............

kind of like a prep of a teenie

I just labeled. Sad
Baguelle
Baguelle
April 9th, 2006 at 08:57pm
*† Bury Me †*:
Label's are for soupcans..

Is it really that inhumane?
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
April 9th, 2006 at 09:40pm
Fuck_America:
LovesBillieJoe:
lornytehpsycho:

kind of like a prep of a teenie

I just labeled. Sad

Eh I would call them teenies, stereotypically chavs are 'ard innit, wear tracksuits and generally cause annoyance. Chavs are sort of a British thing, I mean we have them over here but we them Shams, I think Sham is better man because a lot of them are total fakes.
whoknows
Geek
whoknows
April 10th, 2006 at 04:43am
Definition of a Chav -

Chav is a derogatory slang term in popular usage throughout the UK. It refers to a subculture stereotype of a person who is uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour. The label is typically, though not exclusively, applied to teenagers and young adults of white working-class or lower-middle class origin.

If you come to my town you can't help but fall over them - my home town has been officially branded a 'Chav Town' - oh the shame.

Once you become 'labelled' as far as society is concerned you cease being an individual and are just seen as a punk, chav, goth, etc.

Once you're labelled as such there is then this unwritten set of rules that you have to follow to be true to your label (hope that makes sense). Sometimes it's easier to attack first rather than try and understand something or someone who's a bit different.

So ended the essay/lecture.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
April 10th, 2006 at 05:32am
Chav:

Council
Housing
And
Violent

Very Happy
kfk8e
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kfk8e
April 10th, 2006 at 08:15am
Hannah Is So Lost:
Chav:

Council
Housing
And
Violent

Very Happy

haha my Dad thought it stood for CHeltnham AVerages. I was like Eh no. lol

The other day me and this guy I vaguely know were talking about music and he said "yeah, I'm a punk" I was just like "Wtf? You're labelling yourself? And labelling yourself a punk is even worse!"
and then he started listing off loads of punk bands he knew and I'm like er...you can't listen to Avril Lavigne and call yourself a punk.

I wait for people to label me, and then I prove them wrong. A couple of weeks ago some chavs (they said so themselves - I made the mistake of calling them pikeys and they were like "No! We're chavs!"Wink were chanting emo at me and I propmtly started laughing. Oh, what fun Smile
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
April 10th, 2006 at 09:10am
My brother calls me a goth.
My reply is "Do I listen to gothic music? No."
He then calls me a chav.
He calls a girl with black hair [though it is washing out..], who waers black and listens to rock music, a chav. He's only 11.
Anyway, yeah. A lot of us at school are called Moshrs because we all hang around together and lsiten to rock music and we don't wear tracksuits and talk like: "Aye man dat is proper sick innit!" (no disrespect intended, it's just that's how they talk and because we don't talk like that they annoy us]...
Social groups will always be there, I think. You just have to live with it. Be the minority. Smile
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
April 10th, 2006 at 10:07am
*Blue Star* - Scattered:
Worst thing of all though, is when people get into fights because of what they wear. That's just plain stupid Rolling Eyes
In my country, there exist only two labels- punk and rapper. You must be one of them. -__- And the dumb little people here still go to parks, fight each other, just because "punks hate rappers and rappers hate punks." Rolling Eyes Just keep listening to your music and leave others the fuck alone.
rock_music_GD
Geek
rock_music_GD
April 15th, 2006 at 06:41am
Why are there no punks left? If there are no punks left, can someone explain the term to me?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2006 at 06:52am
rock_music_GD:
Why are there no punks left? If there are no punks left, can someone explain the term to me?

Oh, there are plenty of punks left.

There are so many different definitions of punk, but I'll give you mine:
It isn't a fashion, it isn't a music scene (god knows I listen to 70's uk punk and i'm the furthest from punk you could ever be). It isn't about being a left wing anarchist, it isn't about that.
It's pretty much undefined: you can't label yourself as a punk, you just are. The first punks didn't label themselves punk, they just were.

So I think; you shouldn't go out and try to be Punk, it'll come to you if you really are.
rock_music_GD
Geek
rock_music_GD
April 15th, 2006 at 06:59am
Here's an analogy of the labels I give people:

TEENYBOPPERS: People (girls who are tall (NOT necessarily thin; boys who are thin and normally short) who like the opposite sex, clothes, bitching, whatever everybody else is wearing, pop music and labels. NOTHING else.

NORMAL PEOPLE:

PUNKS: These guys do what they like because they like to. They can belong to any of the NORMAL groups except the last two as long as they do the above sentence.

GOTHS: These people can also be in any of the groups. They wear black and listen to rock music. They can belong to any of the NORMAL groups except the last two as long as they do the above sentence.

EMOS: These people are depressed and can belong to any of the groups. They can belong to any of the NORMAL groups except the last two as long as they do the above sentence.

NORMAL PEOPLE: These ones don't fit in with the other groups. They wear something like jeans and a plain shirt and hardly ever listen to music. Normally, these people are boring.

NERDS: They're normally pretty dorky and are smart.

(A/N: I fit into ALL THREE of the first normal people posts)

For me, people (except teenyboppers . . . fucking hate them . . .) get filed away as themselves when I meet them and talk to them.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
April 15th, 2006 at 07:01am
If someone wants to label me, then go ahead. They'll have trouble doing it though, and i don't mind because they'll be the ones wasting their time trying to fit me in a certain place.
rock_music_GD
Geek
rock_music_GD
April 15th, 2006 at 07:12am
lime greeness wrote:
everyones a poseur
if ur a prep ur a poseur
if ur emo ur a poseur
if ur a punk ur a poseur
if ur a goth ur a poseur
why im saying that is if, ur labeling ur self to a certain group of ne kind, u are posing to be like them.
But uf u are urself and dont hang out w/ a certain "group" of kids, ur not a poseur

Yeah But...I Became A Gothic Punk Before I Realised I Was A Gothic Punk...

Ditto, babe. I knew stereotypes as TEENYBOPPER, NERD, SKATER and OUTCAST. Then I became the way I am. I changed from a teeny into the REAL me. Now I probably fit all three of EMO PUNK or GOTH. Pretty lame, huh?
rock_music_GD
Geek
rock_music_GD
April 15th, 2006 at 07:33am
makin out with an icecube:
i've been called a t.a.t.o fan cuz iweara tie lol...n i'veben calleda freak, weirdo, dumbass n some things similar, in etsonian, which i can't easily translate...but i ignore themn i take things easy..so if u anger me,..u have to be really talented with nerves n loads of cool blood.

I like t.A.T.u Mad ! I heard they broke up but I wasn't too sad . . . I wasn't TOO attached to them! I just like 30Mins and shit. The hits, basically, because I wasn't hyped up enough to buy the album . . .
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 15th, 2006 at 07:56am
people think i'm wierd because i love to dye my ahir (its currntly partly purple) and wear all black , they get scared and call me goth Rolling Eyes
Register