Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
LittleMiss
Idiot
LittleMiss
September 5th, 2005 at 03:22am
hey everyone i'd just like to say thanks for all the replies - they were really helpful. Smile
The Duck's Nuts
Falling In Love With The Board
The Duck's Nuts
September 5th, 2005 at 06:33am
sometimes i get called a teeni just coz i call others teenies. at least i know what it means, unlike them. teenies are weird though, they get offended if you call them one, yet they're all into following the latest fashions,which is what a teenie is. and when i tell them to go look it up in the dictionary, they never do, and they call me "miss dictionary" or something Rolling Eyes
Quit Reading My Name
Jackass
Quit Reading My Name
September 5th, 2005 at 09:19am
In my class, you might like odd people, but not necessarily the whole group. my group as a whole is classes as "the grunger and goth group" or "Keanie and Hannah and that lot" But in my school we just tend to ignore those who insult us. Unless they insult us bad. Because we fight back.
EchoBrain
EchoBrain
September 5th, 2005 at 09:31am
I label people...so what it's my opinon one what "group" they're in.
Wrestling_lozer
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Wrestling_lozer
September 5th, 2005 at 03:03pm
haha labels ....ahhh ok so i personally dont use them....why? hmmmm well because i like learning ppl's names and i dont like being ignorant.... i like getting to know somebody before i decide whether i dislike them or not....but idk...thats just me....yeah well its stupid cuz a lot of ppl who get all pissed off cuz someone will look at them funny will go around and look at other ppl the same way because the beleive they are the "enemy" to the "group" they belong to....
Fawchy.
Jackass
Fawchy.
September 5th, 2005 at 03:38pm
Well, I guess I label people, but I dont care about what group theyre in. My friends that I spend most time at school with are a nerd and a normal girl... a bit slutty.. (sorry, but its true!). And they call me a punk. Pfft. But I think were the only ones who doesnt care about that in my school.
BoughtByBlood²
Idiot
BoughtByBlood²
September 5th, 2005 at 04:00pm
at my school everyone has their own group. basically they'relabeled, and people label others. labels are another way to seperate everybody, even though i admit i do sometimes.
purple_monkey_dishwashers
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
September 5th, 2005 at 09:24pm
hi hi all my peoples in the world of idiots
The Duck's Nuts
The Duck's Nuts
September 7th, 2005 at 05:28am
hm. there's a new one for me a "goth ho" i was just called one. heh. stupid people.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
September 7th, 2005 at 08:48am
labels have basically created themselves in the school and everything, but yeah... i hate them personnaly, like when idiots call me a satan warshipper cause' i wear all black. it really pisses me off because they dont even know me!
Elegantly Wasted
King For A Couple Of Days
Elegantly Wasted
September 7th, 2005 at 10:23am
My cousin is goth is I dont really care bout labels. Its so funny going tto the shops with her tho. All these little kids n girls in their early teens stare at her. and when she looks at them, they look away real quick.lmfao But in my school there are only two groups. The 'popular group' n the rest of us. I reckon the popular ppl dont hav as much fun as us others tho.
_rehabreject_
King For A Couple Of Days
_rehabreject_
September 7th, 2005 at 10:25am
In my school the "popular" people aren't actually that popular... no one really likes them... but no one says anything because there's more of them than there is in other groups lol
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
September 8th, 2005 at 02:31am
Okay well I hope this helps...
Stereotypes a way for people to seperate themselves from the minority. Since the majority listens to rap/hip hop, they all try to be unique by pushing it as far as it can go. Ex: the people in hip hop videos are "pimps" so they push it to the extreme by becoming "pimps" themselves. The there is the minority, they listen to stuff that is not "IN" or part of the majority, depending on what kind of music they listen to, they will also try to be unique and push it as far as it will go by dressing as their idols do.

Stereotypes are based on mainly 2 things the music they listen to and their apperance, usually the people's appearance is based on the music they listen to.

Very rarely will you find a "goth" hanging out with a "gangster" this is because.. face it who would want to get caught dead with a "gangster" Rober Smith (the cure) doesn't hang out with them, so why should they?
And besides they all have very diffrent views, usually influenced by their music taste. (ex: an "emo" probably wouldn't like to talk to a "prep"Wink

Now when all the streotypes have been ruled out, you become a wierdo, a geek, or a freak. This means you can never be unique in anyone's eyes, so please don't try to be.
*i_love_greenday*
Geek
*i_love_greenday*
September 8th, 2005 at 12:36pm
We didn't really have groups at our old school, except from the 'good looking' and 'bad looking.' Which group you are determines your popularity.
I was in the 'bad looking' group along with my friend. All the 'good looking' people would all hang out together and have loads of friends and all be invited to everyone's parties, where as the B-L group would be unpopular and not be invited to anyone's parties and couldn't hang out with the cool kids.
Also the G-L kids would only go out with good looking people only and not for the personality EG: THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED. IT WAS VERY HURTFUL.
Girl 1: Jack (the new boy at the time) said he thinks Becky's good looking! *giggles*
Boy 1 & 2: Eurgh!
Boy 1: Like if Molly was here he'd be like "defintley!"
Boy 2: I mean, no offence but...
Me: Oh. That's alright. *walks away sadly*
Wrestling_lozer
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Wrestling_lozer
September 8th, 2005 at 03:04pm
i really like my school and really where i live cuz most ppl are openminded and dont care what that person looks like or listens to....that stuff really doesnt matter...they actually really care about the person you are... i mean there are groups of freinds but its not like those groups of freinds are forbidden to talk to someone else.....there are some people who are close minded and just "cant" hang out with someone who is not like them but i dont really see many of those...
Rockadelick
Idiot
Rockadelick
September 8th, 2005 at 03:38pm
My school is pretty sad when it comes to stereotypes. No idea why but for some reason there are very few people up here in northern Scotland who look very different. I'm the only girl in my school of 600 who has dyed her hair a colour other than blonde. it's bright red with purple and pink streaks and basically I scare the hell out of people by accident. they all assume i must be some raging teen goth freak who wants to stab everybody. sadly not. but highly amusing when everybody clears the corridor for me to get past
Starry Eyes
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Starry Eyes
September 8th, 2005 at 04:08pm
We don't have stereotypes at our school that much because there are very few people in it. On the other hand, there's a lot of double-crossing and saying one thing to someone's face and another behind their back.
If there were groups they would be changing all the time because everyone is always fighting and changing friendships and nothing is very stable.
Hi_howareyou?
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Hi_howareyou?
September 9th, 2005 at 12:09am
I think kids want to find a group that they fit in with just to feel like they're a part of something, kinda like religion I think. Then when they get into a certain group they feel like they're obligated to act a certain way due to the stereotype of the group. Like all the 'preps' won't talk to the 'nerds.' then all the nerds feel obligated to be weenies, cause that's how they're stereotyped as. I still get completeley shit on by all the people who are labeled as 'preps' just because I write GEEK across my knuckles and wear a T-shirt that says 'Death to The Click Five' I like talking to the kids who don't watch a lot of TV, don't know what the hell Hollister is, and aren't swayed anyway or another by anyones outside appearance, I'm like that, but according to a few 'preps' I'm a nerd.
Angelstars
Geek
Angelstars
September 9th, 2005 at 03:20am
There were loads of labels for different people at my old school but generally it was the popular and the unpopular.
From what I gathered you had to be loud, rich, stuck up and opinionated to be popular and they were the ones that thought they were pretty and it used to annoy me that everyone would suck up to the popular girls just to be their friend so that it made them look better.

I was called a punk and a goth and various other things that I don't like to remember.I don't like to label myself though. I'm just me.
Miss Katy
Jackass
Miss Katy
September 9th, 2005 at 03:35am
my year group at school is basically divided into two. you have the 'popular' people who take over the common room and get to choose the radio station and then the other half who would prefer to listen to rock rather than dance. but its almost like the two groups can't mix and everyone just slags each other off behind their backs. i hate having the whole social groups thing because it just divides people.
Register