Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
another_girl_called_kill
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
another_girl_called_kill
October 9th, 2005 at 06:50am
i get told im a chav - tho i hate burberry and stuff.
i get told im a goth - bu i havent dyed my hair black or wear black all the time, it just looks nice
i get told im a punk - tho im not cos i dont really know what a punk is
i get told im a fake all of these - why? ive never claimed to be anything...

Why cant i just be me?
Gilly the Goldfish
Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
October 10th, 2005 at 02:46pm
stereotypes are stupid how can you stereotype anyone everyone is different even if only slightly no one is the same so why bother.....
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 10th, 2005 at 03:35pm
~Pinky Proctor~:
stereotypes are stupid how can you stereotype anyone everyone is different even if only slightly no one is the same so why bother.....

Sometimes It's Just Easier To Be Honest.
lime greeness
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lime greeness
October 10th, 2005 at 06:42pm
everyones a poseur
if ur a prep ur a poseur
if ur emo ur a poseur
if ur a punk ur a poseur
if ur a goth ur a poseur
why im saying that is if, ur labeling ur self to a certain group of ne kind, u are posing to be like them.
But uf u are urself and dont hang out w/ a certain "group" of kids, ur not a poseur
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 11th, 2005 at 01:11pm
lime greeness:
everyones a poseur
if ur a prep ur a poseur
if ur emo ur a poseur
if ur a punk ur a poseur
if ur a goth ur a poseur
why im saying that is if, ur labeling ur self to a certain group of ne kind, u are posing to be like them.
But uf u are urself and dont hang out w/ a certain "group" of kids, ur not a poseur

Yeah But...I Became A Gothic Punk Before I Realised I Was A Gothic Punk...
lime greeness
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lime greeness
October 11th, 2005 at 05:17pm
Well thats fine, as long as u dont dress a certain way cuz ur this "type" of person. Like my friend is "emo" and we were shopin one day and she was like "this is so cute...but im too emo for it"
thats the stupidest thing i ever heard. if u like something u should get it no matter what label it falls into
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 11th, 2005 at 05:26pm
lime greeness:
Well thats fine, as long as u dont dress a certain way cuz ur this "type" of person. Like my friend is "emo" and we were shopin one day and she was like "this is so cute...but im too emo for it"
thats the stupidest thing i ever heard. if u like something u should get it no matter what label it falls into

Oh That's Pathetic! I Hate It When People Try To Fit In. It's...Stupid!
TheFaggot
King For A Couple Of Days
TheFaggot
October 12th, 2005 at 01:09pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
lime greeness:
everyones a poseur
if ur a prep ur a poseur
if ur emo ur a poseur
if ur a punk ur a poseur
if ur a goth ur a poseur

I grew up with punk, and I didn't think about punk until like half a year ago....

I wonder how many chavs have realised that they're chavs-------Don't take this question literate, or, yo could do that too, but think for a bit about it.... get my point?
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 12th, 2005 at 01:15pm
TheFaggot:
Nine_Inch_Nails:
lime greeness:
everyones a poseur
if ur a prep ur a poseur
if ur emo ur a poseur
if ur a punk ur a poseur
if ur a goth ur a poseur

I grew up with punk, and I didn't think about punk until like half a year ago....

I wonder how many chavs have realised that they're chavs-------Don't take this question literate, or, yo could do that too, but think for a bit about it.... get my point?

Lol, Yeah
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
October 12th, 2005 at 09:33pm
question_everything:
1. there are no goths left, they died out many years ago
2. there are no punks left
3. preps are poeple who attend a prepatory/private school
4. neds?

i have been called a goth, twice by my brother, for no real reason, and once again, today, by someone else. i have also been called a punk, twice in a few hours, i almost fell off my chair. it took me a very hard time to stop laughing, so wrong were they
just because you go to private school does not mean youre a prep, i go to private school because im forced to and i am far from preppy Rolling Eyes
Cemetry
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Cemetry
October 13th, 2005 at 09:53am
A month ago I was at a party. A girl, I didn't know, came to me and asked me: "So, what are you? Are you a punk (looking at my shoes - Chucks) or a Goth (looking at my wristband)?"
Hello? Just because I wear a certain kind of clothes, I'm not a punk!!! Neither a goth!
Even if I considered myself a punk, I would do it because I like the music and because I question everything ...

By the way, she actually called me "tick" - in Germany a negative word for punks, even more than punk ...

But, in general, I'm a person who labels a lot. But just the sort of people I dislike, especially "Gangstas" or "People listening to HipHop AND dressing and talking that way".
It's kinda hard not to label.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 13th, 2005 at 10:19am
::minority:::
question_everything:
4. neds?

i have been called a goth, twice by my brother, for no real reason, and once again, today, by someone else. i have also been called a punk, twice in a few hours, i almost fell off my chair. it took me a very hard time to stop laughing, so wrong were they
just because you go to private school does not mean youre a prep, i go to private school because im forced to and i am far from preppy Rolling Eyes

Where I Come From, Prep Is Something They Do In Private School [Homework Or Something?].
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
October 13th, 2005 at 06:04pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
question_everything:
4. neds?

Where I Come From, Prep Is Something They Do In Private School [Homework Or Something?].
oh nevermind here prep is probably equal to what youd define as chavs, but yeah i was like wtf im not a prep lol...
Arceus
Jackass
Arceus
October 13th, 2005 at 06:06pm
labels are so damn dumb... i change the style of my clothes and then bam!! im a goth/emo poser... i fucking hate labels....
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 13th, 2005 at 06:09pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
question_everything:
4. neds?

oh nevermind here prep is probably equal to what youd define as chavs, but yeah i was like wtf im not a prep lol...

Lol. Oh Well.
October
Geek
October
October 13th, 2005 at 09:14pm
<Prepares the Flame Shield> <takes a big breath>
Lables are a blessing and a curse.
They're a blessing because sometimes you feel lost and have no common ground with anyone, and you become distant. I definintally know how it feels to not know who I am... anyway, to an extent. Labels also help you find people like you. If everyone was different, it'd be harder to scope out a person like you to be your friend.
They're a curse because sometimes people take it overboard. Damn preps.
They use labels as a way to place people in order of least to greatest, when in reality, all labels are equal.
At my school, the damn preps decided it goes like this:
1: Damn Preps
2: Leeches (The funny people who hang around the cool people to feel good about themselves)
3: The Stupid Punks who make friends with the Preps
4: The Hippies
5: Mutts (People who are friends with ANYBODY)
6: Goths (Includes the Emos)
7: Dorks
8: People who have disorders (Mental and Physical, it's really sad)
<sigh> It pains me to know all this, but my twin brother is a prep and I have this 'inside info' that's all pure shit.

Anyway...I've began thinking a while back that maybe there should be more...indepth labels. Like Subcatagories.
Me, for instance, is a Punk->Emo->Nerd.
And to all the people who say that labels suck and stuff...I agree and disagree. Labels are here to stay and if Hollywood gets bigger, Labels get bigger. I just wish the damn preps would realize that
"All Labels are Created Equal"
Smoothed_Out_Slappy_Dog
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Smoothed_Out_Slappy_Dog
October 16th, 2005 at 08:05pm
Stereotypes are the biggest barrier in communication between people who might otherwise get along. Funny thing is, it doesn't suprise me at all they are still prevalent in a world where information is at our fingertips. The reason is (gasp): People are stupid. They fear what they do not know. They listen to whatever the media (be it liberal or conservative) tells them. Which is why i find it fun when the kid sitting behind me is laughing at Afganis because the y were "brainwashed" by the Taliban. This is the same racist who sings along to Toby Keith and makes fart jokes in class. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying stereotypes don't get in my head, they do. But you have to beat them back into the deep recesses along with the memory of memorized Backstreet Boy lyrics. If you find out that a person you are talking to fits a stereotype, so be it. It's not your fault if you think about them in the light afterwards. But people need to be more open. Sadly, it will never happen as long as Stupid People have kids that grow up hearing "Black Guy=Bad, Asian=ChingChangChong, Hispanic=Smelly, and Non-Americans=Inferiors" I love my country, but for the most part were uneducated.
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
October 16th, 2005 at 08:09pm
Flaming Phalanges!:
Well...a group of ten chavs waited for me outside tesco at lunch time just so they could throw 2 litre bottles of coke at me as I walked back to school...and it was cos I am the red haired goth. Cool

what is a chav?? we dont have that here.
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
October 16th, 2005 at 08:11pm
October:
<Prepares the Flame Shield> <takes a big breath>
Lables are a blessing and a curse.
They're a blessing because sometimes you feel lost and have no common ground with anyone, and you become distant. I definintally know how it feels to not know who I am... anyway, to an extent. Labels also help you find people like you. If everyone was different, it'd be harder to scope out a person like you to be your friend.
They're a curse because sometimes people take it overboard. Damn preps.
They use labels as a way to place people in order of least to greatest, when in reality, all labels are equal.
At my school, the damn preps decided it goes like this:
1: Damn Preps
2: Leeches (The funny people who hang around the cool people to feel good about themselves)
3: The Stupid Punks who make friends with the Preps
4: The Hippies
5: Mutts (People who are friends with ANYBODY)
6: Goths (Includes the Emos)
7: Dorks
8: People who have disorders (Mental and Physical, it's really sad)
<sigh> It pains me to know all this, but my twin brother is a prep and I have this 'inside info' that's all pure shit.

Anyway...I've began thinking a while back that maybe there should be more...indepth labels. Like Subcatagories.
Me, for instance, is a Punk->Emo->Nerd.
And to all the people who say that labels suck and stuff...I agree and disagree. Labels are here to stay and if Hollywood gets bigger, Labels get bigger. I just wish the damn preps would realize that
"All Labels are Created Equal"

thats sick. why wud u put mentally and physically disabled people in a social group. it is not their style or their ay of being as in the other groups (ie. dork, prep, goth, whatever). they were born with it. thats not fair.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 16th, 2005 at 08:16pm
s0dapop_and_ritalin:
Flaming Phalanges!:
Well...a group of ten chavs waited for me outside tesco at lunch time just so they could throw 2 litre bottles of coke at me as I walked back to school...and it was cos I am the red haired goth. Cool

what is a chav?? we dont have that here.

Um...How to explain a chav?? Laughing

Chavs

Chavettes

Absolute Scum
Register