Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
I.Heart.Panic.
King For A Couple Of Days
I.Heart.Panic.
October 1st, 2005 at 07:57pm
I have been bullied but it wasn't because I was part of a group or gang or whatever.
Erm. I'm not really anything, I'm just me, and I make a point of that. Sure I like Green Day and stuff which kinda makes me odd in some ways at my school but fuck it I don't care. Sometimes I do but I hide it well.
So yeah, people at school don't find me weird. I've changed a bit this last year or so but I'm basically the same person so no-one can say anything.
carrot
Idiot
carrot
October 3rd, 2005 at 05:37am
FateATwisted5-25-77:
Shouldn't we talk about why these types of groups AFFECT people? In my instance, I have social problems, aka Asperger's Syndrome. I never had any friends until the 4th grade, probably because of the social cliques. My dad told me a great thing about cliques and people in general once: People are like flowers. Some flowers can grow just about anywhere, just like some people, who can make friends anywhere they go. Other flowers only grow in one area. Those types of people do not make friends as easily. Also, the flowers that grow everywhere look good from a distance, but not up close. Like a dandelion. You may think it's pretty in a field from afar, but get up close and it's just a weed. Same with people. The people who are very outgoing or popular usually look really nice and glamorous and cool from a distance, but once you know them well enough, they're mean and nasty. And the flowers that are rare are beautiful. Like the people who are shyer, because once you befriend them, you'll have a friend for life.
i never thought about it like that...thank Smile
Fely
Basket Case
Fely
October 3rd, 2005 at 04:34pm
these groups/labels aren't nice.like it's been said a million times before.i don't like catagorising people on the way they act or how they look.
Sweet Taboo.
Sweet Taboo.
October 3rd, 2005 at 05:31pm
FateATwisted5-25-77:
Shouldn't we talk about why these types of groups AFFECT people? In my instance, I have social problems, aka Asperger's Syndrome. I never had any friends until the 4th grade, probably because of the social cliques. My dad told me a great thing about cliques and people in general once: People are like flowers. Some flowers can grow just about anywhere, just like some people, who can make friends anywhere they go. Other flowers only grow in one area. Those types of people do not make friends as easily. Also, the flowers that grow everywhere look good from a distance, but not up close. Like a dandelion. You may think it's pretty in a field from afar, but get up close and it's just a weed. Same with people. The people who are very outgoing or popular usually look really nice and glamorous and cool from a distance, but once you know them well enough, they're mean and nasty. And the flowers that are rare are beautiful. Like the people who are shyer, because once you befriend them, you'll have a friend for life.
That's an absolutely BRILLIANT way of putting it. Thanks. Very Happy
a-dawg.
Falling In Love With The Board
a-dawg.
October 4th, 2005 at 10:16am
This is what we have in Dublin. It might sound funny but it REALLY sucks. I'm the 'goth'.

SKANGERS
“The Definitive Guide”

The Language
Beginning with some simple greeting translations:
''storeeeeee bud?” = “Hello, how are you?”

''Aroigh man wots de craic?” = “Hello, how are you?”

Common greetings called out to mates include 'Stahry Bud' or 'Ahhrigh Shaymo'.
TURN TO PAGE 2
Now some simple words and phrases:
”go wan ye mad yoke” = "yeah right!”
''ouua de bikky'! = “drunk”
“aul wan” = “mother”
“aul lad” = “father”
”ryied” = “person I’d love to screw”

Finally some longer sentences:

''me buurd as me up in court for may-enance burr oim still meetin yor wan sharden from de temple te-ator”
=“My girlfriend is taking me to court for child maintenance payments, but I'm still meeting Sharon, the girl I met in the Temple Theatre”

'she's a birrova tramp and she has four sprogs 'n' all but she's mad into me, know worroi mean man'

=She is rather promiscuous and has 4 kids, but she really has the hots for me, if you know what I mean"

'Ahh stop would ye, I was bleedin banjoed man, banjoed'
="Oh dont remind me, I was drunk, so very very drunk"

“buurd is up da powil or has a little f*cker”
=“girlfriend is either pregnant or has a small child”

TURN TO PAGE 3
The Image

Names:

Male names must end with an “o” (e.g. Anto, Rayo, Micko)
Girls are called Naaahlee (Natalie), Jasinteh (Jacinta), Janeh(Janet), Imeldeh (Imelda), Shardin (Sharon) or Traycee (Tracy). Not that these aren't nice names but when said with an accent from the 'Mun that you could cut bread with, they take on another significance
Babies or young children have made up Jenny Jones Show names such as D'yewanneh and D'yelikeh
Be mates with a Doyler, Git, Rayo, Whacker or Mousey

Housing/Transport:
Name written on at least 10 lampposts near 'your gaff' i.e. “Anto is a queer” “Naaaahlee is a sluh”.
House called something imaginative like Old Trafford or Celticville.

All your relatives live in the same block of flats / street /prison wing.

Drive a Nissan Micra / Fiat Cinquecento / Honda Civic with tinted windows, spoilers and 'go faster' stripes.

Dream of driving a Peugoet 306 / Subaru Imprezza / Mitsubishi Lancer / any other World Rally Car you can think of.

For younger skangers, a moped is an essential form of transport.
(Helmet must be worn balancing on top of head and not actually on it)
Clothing:
Multi-coloured Scanda or Patagonia jackets are essential part of wardrobe. Must be worn with tie cord around the waist pulled tightly. It is also obligatory to wear baseball caps with the peak sitting on top of your forehead to reveal greasy fringe. - Also known as a Tracker Knacker.
On special occassions such as court appearances /christenings/funerals you must wear faded blue Levis rammed up your arse,must be accompanied by check ben sherman shirt, with diamond jumper draped over your arm for the dressy look. Alternatively were one expensive tee-shirt (Rahlf Lorren / Tommy Hilfigure) with the logo as large as humanly possible so it can be seen a mile away.

TURN TO PAGE 4

Other essential wardrobe items include:
Celtic Jersey with your own name on the back
Baby blue hoodie branded “McKenzie” or “Est. 1924”
Three striped Addidas blue tracksuit trousers
White plastic tracksuits and/or grey jumpers (Nike, Addidas, Fila etc.)
Runners (Reebok/Nike) that cost roughly 300euro.
ONE item of burburry clothing (baseball cap/scarf are common), the only item purchased from Brown Thomas. This “shows a-bih-a class”.

Accesiories:
Enormous sovereign rings on every finger, for girls huge gold Creole (itinierant earrings) and T-bar pendant.
Always have a box of 10 Johnny Blue cigarettes on you
Copy of The Sun or The Irish Star to be held in back pocket at all times
Always carry a packet of Rizla in case someone wants to 'skin up' - (either roll a joint or a loose-leaf tobacco cigarette)
For “da fellas”, gold mobile phone or boxing glove pendant from Elizabeth Duke collection at Argos.
Pram from Da Social Worker (big enough to store stolen goods) essential from the up and coming knackerette. Commonly used to plough through crowds on Henry Street at high speed.
Rottweiller is essential to keep up the hardman image and threaten innocent people walking the streets. Tell them if they even look crossways that you'll get your dog to 'bite the bleddin b*llix off dem'.
Misc.:
Constantly have a scowl on your face that makes people afraid to approach you.
Possess bum fluff on upper lip (also applies to young ones)
Chain must hang out over jumper at all times

Spit on the pavement at least every 3 seconds.

Whistle at everyone and walk with arms swinging and exaggerated limp.

Posters of Tupac/ Aslan to be placed on bedroom walls.

TURN TO PAGE 5
The Lifestyle

City Centre consists of Henry St & O'Connell St, the odd venture to the Donnybrook Kiddies disco is necessary at least once a month to terrorise 'de poshies.

Social life revolves around Dr.Quirkeys, De Back Gayh (Back Gate),Da Shoooters Complex, Da Blue Banana or Jehs (Jets)

Have lots of experience of sitting down the back of the bus terrorising normal commuters while writing graffiti on the seats such as Whacko + Rasher = Pals

Portrait of your arse must be embedded into at least one wall where you sit every night all night and tell the houses owners to f*** off when they protest

Nearest thing you have been to nature is knacker drinkin (most likely Dutch Gold) down “de canal” or pickpocketing culchies who come up to Dublin on Dec 8th to get their Christmas clothes.

Know the Macaris take away menu off by heart - (Macaris is a chain of fast-food takeaways, mainly on “da Nortsoide”)

All knackerettes must think that Colin Farrell is a 'riyed'

Pretend to follow Shamrock Rovers but only go for the fights.

Shout abuse and threaten with violence anyone who accidently bumps into while walking down the street.

Left school at or before age 16.

Time spent from June to October is collecting for the “bon-fiyer”

Summer holidays are always in Courtown or Da Canaries and you think its the best thing since sliced bread.

Like I say, it seriously blows balls.
Elegantly Wasted
Elegantly Wasted
October 4th, 2005 at 12:04pm
st.jimmy'sgrlfriend:
get ready for an A.
preps=boys and girls who are in high fashion and discrimanate others who do not have what they have. cloths, cash, hair. allso people who end up getting a clue or in shit/trailer park.
punks=a group of people who wear rock t-shirt, say there an opinion, and have a perfect since of humor. normaly end up rock stars, great parent, anything they want, or sadly married to white trash.
goths=people who have fallen to a dark personality because a sad event (or sucky ass parents). normally live in black and black everything and impossible to understand humor unless you are one or a punk.
hiphop=a group of people who are normally from a hood or wish they did. anyone can be one. just the only ones worth talking to are the ones who are real. not some little rich.
sluts=girl who feel they are not worth as much as they are so they hang out with bad kids(mostly bad boys).
bad kids=normaly these girls and guy have such bad family stufff. they feel they must do bad things. or if there parent don't give enough love.

ok... uh i object to the part about goths. my cousin is goth and she doesnt have a 'dark personality' and she is way fun to be with. and i am not a goth and i still think that.
Trusty Chords.
Jackass
Trusty Chords.

Blog
October 4th, 2005 at 03:54pm
I think they are so stupid. What ever happened to BJ's quote (which I personally love) "Never loose your individuality" Why follow the crowd? Because its an easy option, that's why. But I havn't taken the easy option. I took the hard option. I think there a totally waste of time to be honest. I'm not a goth or a grunger or a rocker. I'm just Rosie (my real name).

Rinoa02
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
October 4th, 2005 at 03:57pm
Rinoa02:
I think they are so stupid. What ever happened to BJ's quote (which I personally love) "Never loose your individuality" Why follow the crowd? Because its an easy option, that's why. But I havn't taken the easy option. I took the hard option. I think there a totally waste of time to be honest. I'm not a goth or a grunger or a rocker. I'm just Rosie (my real name).

Rinoa02
no no NO!
don't try to be different than anyone, if you love commercial pop and are dumb, then be the prep you are, don't try to act goth, that's where we got emo
just be yourself, you won't be cool, but you'll be with other people who have an easier time judging you, so you'll be around the people you want to be around
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 4th, 2005 at 04:01pm
Chavs: Scum of the earth
Goths: Intelligent, philosophical people
Punks: Just general cool, don't give a fuck what you think people
Skaters: People who skate etc
Emo: *slits wrist*
Trendies: Just...normal
Indie: Kinda...colourful

This is what it's like in my school
I'm kind of a gothic punk...I dunno...
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
October 7th, 2005 at 07:10pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:

In my year at school, a lot of girls think chavs are cool. I was talking to a 'chav' today. She thought chavs were the best because 'they do wicked things and wear lush burberry.' She also thought chavs were the best and they were really cool. She couldn't explain why chavs were cool. She said she doesn't give a shit about what other people say about her, yet she carries a penknife and smacks or stabs anyone who says anything about her. Which makes her look like she DOES care. She couldn't tell me any of the wicked things chavs do. To me, I think 'chavs' are wimps. They can't stand it when people say stuff about them and they just try to be tough but end up looking pathetic.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 7th, 2005 at 07:47pm
*Blue Star*:
Nine_Inch_Nails:

In my year at school, a lot of girls think chavs are cool. I was talking to a 'chav' today. She thought chavs were the best because 'they do wicked things and wear lush burberry.' She also thought chavs were the best and they were really cool. She couldn't explain why chavs were cool. She said she doesn't give a shit about what other people say about her, yet she carries a penknife and smacks or stabs anyone who says anything about her. Which makes her look like she DOES care. She couldn't tell me any of the wicked things chavs do. To me, I think 'chavs' are wimps. They can't stand it when people say stuff about them and they just try to be tough but end up looking pathetic.

Chavs are meant to be cool. They're supposed to be the "popular" ones and everyone else is just the "outcasts" Rolling Eyes
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 7th, 2005 at 07:49pm
spill_no_sick:
Rinoa02:

Rinoa02
no no NO!
don't try to be different than anyone, if you love commercial pop and are dumb, then be the prep you are, don't try to act goth, that's where we got emo
just be yourself, you won't be cool, but you'll be with other people who have an easier time judging you, so you'll be around the people you want to be around

Yeah, but if you're yourself then you're around the other people who are themselves. If you catch my drift?
Have you noticed how waaay more people want to be individuals now? It's become somewhat a label.
WhitestMonkeh!U'Know
WhitestMonkeh!U'Know
October 8th, 2005 at 02:53pm
All the time people would label me as gothic or punk just because I wear black band t-shirts all the time. It annoys the shit outta me cuz i am anything but gothic, or punk. And people would always come up to me sayin "are you gothic?" and I'm like wtf! Why can't we all just be concidered normal people instead of gothic, or punk, or prep, or gangsta or any of that stuff?
Sweet Taboo.
Sweet Taboo.
October 8th, 2005 at 05:53pm
Me and my friend saw the weirdest thing today. A blend of two TOTALLY different stereotypes. He was half chav, half punky-looking! I mean, what's going on? We called him a 'chunk'. Laughing
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
October 8th, 2005 at 06:01pm
I signed your profile no VF ^
TheFaggot
TheFaggot
October 8th, 2005 at 08:34pm
Well, punk is like the anti-label/stereotype label/stereotype, but there are losts of punk sub genres/stereotypes..

And besides, MOST stereotypes can mix, even if some of them are pretty damn rare...

I've seen a punk around a couple of times, and he wears QUITE some burberry.... And black---- Damnit, he's kewl Cool He's probably the exeption for the "rule"-"Burberry. Ew."

Randomness. Examples. Call it what you want.

One of the cutest things on earth - Emo metalheadguys singing "what if God was one of us" and then start dancing to 7 seconds' vertion of "These boots are made for walking"...
TheFaggot
TheFaggot
October 8th, 2005 at 08:36pm
"You shall NEVER follow the stream/crowd. NEVER. That's a rule---One exeption: (And you still have to be individual) Riots. We have to stand together sometimes Cool"

One of the best quotes ever.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 8th, 2005 at 08:54pm
ok, this is for all the "punks" out there
Punk
1- a dry decayed piece of wood udes for starting fires
2- worthless, of low quality
3-a prostitute
4- an inexpeienced young man
5- a young man who is the sexual partner of an older man

Any1 out there still a "punk"

Labels are for soup cans, i hate stereotypes.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 8th, 2005 at 08:59pm
I get so mad because my school is full of the stuck up snobby kids who think they are better then every1, and I tried to take the time to get to know them, not just label them how they dressed, but some of them were very nice and now we are best friends. Some of them think im gothic or punk because i pratically live at hot topic. I dont think anyone should be judged on the clothes they wear. If a girl had on a mini skirt and a tee shirt from aeropostale and said shes punk would you believe her? no. If you heard a girl listening to the ramones, but couldnt see her and she said shes punk would you believe her? maybe, but there is a good chance that could be the sme girl.
Pessimistic.loser
Idiot
Pessimistic.loser
October 9th, 2005 at 03:30am
some one said I was punk once and I said, "no I'm not." and they just stared at me weirdly and walked away.
Register