Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
11th Street Kid
King For A Couple Of Days
11th Street Kid
November 3rd, 2005 at 12:17pm
tarenwalkshome:
Im so jealous! I wish i had a label....lol at my school we mostly have preps(girly girl people who think they are better than everyone), a few people who you could call goths or punks or skaters, some average everyday people, and then theres me. i dont fit into a group. im just kind of a loser who likes everyone. if you want my honest opinion, labels suck.

seriously, though, what is a chav?

x[Nine_Inch_Nails]x:
Um...they tend to beat people up, steal things, have babies when they're like 13, the girls wear waay too much foundation [they look orange], talk in aggressives tones, if anyone looks at them they're just like "what the fuck are you looking at!?!", they can't spell on the internet, they tend to be thick, they all seem to have nig ears, the guys have shaved hair and just see women as objects, and the girls all seem to have blonde hair, big tits and see guys ass objects, they sleep around, they listen to dance, hip hop, rap and r 'n' b music, and they're all a bunch of conformists

Hope that clears it up.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
November 3rd, 2005 at 12:41pm
iplayguitar:
well...i like goths, punks n ppl like that cuz they have theirn own taste, they do things their way n so on. but i hate chavs n preps cuz they copy things. as in ok, they like do n think about things that r popular(at the mo). for examble: lets say, green day is popular. "Jenny, u liek GD?" yeah mum, of course". ok, Gd isn't pop anymore, now akon is."jenny , u like GD?, no mum, i depsise em, i love akon". get what i mean?-

I didn't really understand that lol.
Just a Puppet...
Addict
Just a Puppet...
November 3rd, 2005 at 03:01pm
The one thing I hate more than anything is how Muslims are all stereotyped as terrorists. It's just plain wrong.

(Sorry if it's the wrong thread...)
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
November 3rd, 2005 at 03:02pm
MAGIC RAINBOW!!!:
The one thing I hate more than anything is how Muslims are all stereotyped as terrorists. It's just plain wrong.

(Sorry if it's the wrong thread...)

Same.
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
November 3rd, 2005 at 04:58pm
Really, I don't try to label. Sometimes it comes out naturally, and other times I apologize for using an idiotic label.
I refuse to allow myself to label someone without knowing what they're about.
I guess I dress kind of "alternative" and I get comments like "Hey, it's goth girl" all the time through the halls, and I try to ignore it and even sometimes I like to instigate it just so that they can make their false assumptions.
But most of these people don't know who I am or what I'm like. They think that just because I dress this way, I somehow deserve a label or sterotype.
But they label me and I don't really care. It only gives me the impression that they're immature and they don't deserve me more than anything else.
I have a lot of, let's call them perky, friends that are always saying to me how they want to see me in pink or yellow. I actually gave in and wore my least favorite color- pink -one day and then I ended up feeling like shit because I had realized that I pleased them. From then on, I made a vow to not "please" them anymore. In other words, I refuse to give into their system, I refuse to change myself, even if it's for one day, for them.
Don't get me wrong, they're still my friends. But I'm not going to be like them ever because they're just not me, and I'm not them.
I once read [on this very inspirational man's myspace] that there is really not much of a difference between your average goth and jock. "One gives into the system, the other rebels against it. I say transcend the system, rise above" and that's exactly what I've been trying to do. There is no difference between my "perky" friends and I, as we are still friends, we're both humans and we all love each other dearly.
I have a friend, Nicole, who's a cheerleader. She's so into it that she, at any given moment, randomly starts cheering. Whereas one part of me is silently screaming for her to shut up, and the other part of me loves it because it's who she is, it's what she loves, and she has no trouble expressing it. I look up to people like that. Even if we're so different, we're so very much the same.
Like I said, I won't label anyone if I don't know them, and even then, once I have enough respect and trust for them, I won't label them. I'm not saying that labels are pointless, as everything has a name, but what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make a difference.
BestCheeseInTown
Geek
BestCheeseInTown
November 3rd, 2005 at 05:31pm
I don't believe in labels. Most of my friends do, though.
Most of the time they will say something like: 'Blaze, why are so punk?' I just tell 'em I have no idea what they're talking about and they'll try to explain to me what a goth person is. My one friend believes in 'em and labels everyone punk/prep/goth. I don't care. They think what they think.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
November 3rd, 2005 at 05:42pm
Immortally Jaded:
Really, I don't try to label. Sometimes it comes out naturally, and other times I apologize for using an idiotic label.
I guess I dress kind of "alternative" and I get comments like "Hey, it's goth girl" all the time through the halls, and I try to ignore it and even sometimes I like to instigate it just so that they can make their false assumptions.
But most of these people don't know who I am or what I'm like. They think that just because I dress this way, I somehow deserve a label or sterotype.
But they label me and I don't really care. It only gives me the impression that they're immature and they don't deserve me more than anything else.
I have a lot of, let's call them perky, friends that are always saying to me how they want to see me in pink or yellow. I actually gave in and wore my least favorite color- pink -one day and then I ended up feeling like shit because I had realized that I pleased them. From then on, I made a vow to not "please" them anymore. In other words, I refuse to give into their system, I refuse to change myself, even if it's for one day, for them.
Don't get me wrong, they're still my friends. But I'm not going to be like them ever because they're just not me, and I'm not them.
I once read [on this very inspirational man's myspace] that there is really not much of a difference between your average goth and jock. "One gives into the system, the other rebels against it. I say transcend the system, rise above" and that's exactly what I've been trying to do. There is no difference between my "perky" friends and I, as we are still friends, we're both humans and we all love each other dearly.
I have a friend, Nicole, who's a cheerleader. She's so into it that she, at any given moment, randomly starts cheering. Whereas one part of me is silently screaming for her to shut up, and the other part of me loves it because it's who she is, it's what she loves, and she has no trouble expressing it. I look up to people like that. Even if we're so different, we're so very much the same.
Like I said, I won't label anyone if I don't know them, and even then, once I have enough respect and trust for them, I won't label them. I'm not saying that labels are pointless, as everything has a name, but what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make a difference.

Yay Nat! <3
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
November 3rd, 2005 at 05:43pm
x[Nine_Inch_Nails]x:
Immortally Jaded:

Yay Nat! <3

Woe Alex! lmfao
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
November 3rd, 2005 at 05:54pm
I love your new name by the way!
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
November 3rd, 2005 at 06:11pm
x[Nine_Inch_Nails]x:
I love your new name by the way!

thankies. I thought it was time for a change.
Beetlebum
Geek
Beetlebum
November 3rd, 2005 at 11:46pm
I used to get beat up in primary school for liking slipknot and dressing fully in black. They'd beat me up and yell stop worshiping them, stop listening to their music and other random shit, I was only 9! It was pretty lame. Now people make the occasional joke here and there. People call me "Punk boy", I hate it, cos I have a name. If someone likes RnB you don't call them RnB boy. I have to live with it so I don't complain to the people that do call me those things.
Franny.
Franny.
November 4th, 2005 at 12:22am
i've never really had trouble with bullies, i ignore them, they ignore me. a bunch of people call me 'punk' because i like punk music...(my school is full of people who like the rap and hip hop stuff so it's hard for them to comprehend what punk means). i've been called goth because i have black clothes...which is odd cuz everyone wears black, why am i a goth? hmm what else....well since i'm in band, i'm a band geek of course (i'm proud of that label lol). yah that's about all i've been called.
killing loneliness
Idiot
killing loneliness
November 4th, 2005 at 01:56am
i've been called a t.a.t.o fan cuz iweara tie lol...n i'veben calleda freak, weirdo, dumbass n some things similar, in etsonian, which i can't easily translate...but i ignore themn i take things easy..so if u anger me,..u have to be really talented with nerves n loads of cool blood.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
November 5th, 2005 at 11:23am
Phantom Lord:
I used to get beat up in primary school for liking slipknot and dressing fully in black. They'd beat me up and yell stop worshiping them, stop listening to their music and other random shit, I was only 9! It was pretty lame. Now people make the occasional joke here and there. People call me "Punk boy", I hate it, cos I have a name. If someone likes RnB you don't call them RnB boy. I have to live with it so I don't complain to the people that do call me those things.

Omg...that's so sad and lame. I can't believe people actually say,"Stop listening to their music...stop worshipping them!" What has this world come to? I hate it when people do that...they hate me but they want me to become like them. Everyone's allowed to be different.
_rehabreject_
_rehabreject_
November 5th, 2005 at 11:26am
The thing with people wanting to change you... It's so stupid!
Because if they hate someone that much because they're different, they're not going to really like them if they do change. It's not like they'd accept them anyway, so what's the point?
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
November 5th, 2005 at 11:29am
Everyone will always be so afraid of anything different.
amb3r-can_idi0t
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
amb3r-can_idi0t
November 6th, 2005 at 02:44am
ei. at home i get labled as 'punk' at school ima 'punk, weirdo, freek, geek (even tho im not any good at anythink) and a whole bunch of other crap. what i really hate is when people take it to far and get raciest aginst one-another or decline other of what they like. I also hate it when people say "Hey you punk" or "Hey, punk." and blame you just 'cause of what you like, wear or listen to. Has anyone heard the line in movies "Get off of my lawn you punks!" It is assumed in hollywood productions that Punk = Holligans. (sp?) That sortive screws it for the rest of us =(
banquo
Geek
banquo

Mibba
November 6th, 2005 at 03:50am
at my school prep is like a bad word. if u call someone a bitch, thats ok, but call someone a prep and theyll fight u...but the people who get mad actually are preps...they just dont want to admit it. my mom wants me to be a prep. she thinks im gonna be a goth/punk/freak just cuz i listen to green day and i like checkered vans...i dont care what anyone says, those shoes arent ugly...
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
November 6th, 2005 at 04:51pm
I used to label myself...which I know is sad. I used to like being labelled a gothic skater because I liked skaters...but people just ended up labelling me a goth. And then I got sick of it and people still label me but I just ignore them. Yeah...I guess I used to be really lame and bitchy when I was little. Looking back, I would have hated myself. My friends label me...and even if it is annoying...you can't really blame them...because they don't really know how annoying it is.
drummer_chick322
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
drummer_chick322
November 8th, 2005 at 08:56pm
Somebody threw a full can of Yoo Hoo at me because i was wearing a Green Day shirt. they called me anti american, too
also, kids on my bus make fun of me daily because i am a non conformist and hate pop/rap,etc.
Register