Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
11th Street Kid
King For A Couple Of Days
11th Street Kid
December 13th, 2005 at 03:48pm
Don't mind all labels. Just don't like fashion categories much...I use them a bit...around people who use them...because..it bugs me just a teeny weensy bit..when people say them..so I might just as well say them. Don't care what people call me..but I do think it's unfair when people judge my friends because of what they wear. I'm rambling again...about nothing...go me.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 13th, 2005 at 03:54pm
I don't really mind labels...the thing is, mud sticks. Once your whole school brands you a 'goth' for wearing Doc Martens and a black velvet bodice on non-uniform day (I admit, if you go out dressed like that you should be prepared to take serious flak!), you can't change. No matter how many times I turn up dressed like a deranged punk/hippy complete with rainbow bandana and purple leather slip ons, in still 'that weird Goth' to them.

Perhaps its the fact that i'm being pigeonholed into one specific group and having no room for me to spread my wings. I'm way too fickle anyway Cool
So my label can best be described as : However I wake up in the morning.

And that is why I'm not against Labels.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
December 13th, 2005 at 03:58pm
i'm prepared for labels really, i get called them all the time. i get asked if i'm emo all the time but i look nothing like an emo except for my hair sortof. but that's not even that emo either. i get called a goth but i have blonde hair and i'm not gothical so i dont know how people get that.... but meh, you gotta be prepared for these things in life, nothing you can do about it.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
December 13th, 2005 at 04:18pm
I'm always prepared for labels...hell, what's there to be prepared for? They're everywhere. I hate it when my brother calls me or Amy Lee 'emo'. I mean, for god's sake..he doesn't even know what 'emo' is Rolling Eyes and he's a twat...sooo...

I'm kinda confused about what 'goths' really are. I mean...I get labelled a goth because I wear black hoodies and black jeans. I can kinda see why...because everyone thinks 'goths' are morbid people who wear alot of black clothes...and I'm quite expressionless. But then there's people who aren't 'goths' but get labelled as them because they wear black nail polish Confused

Worst thing of all though, is when people get into fights because of what they wear. That's just plain stupid Rolling Eyes
Turkey
Basket Case
Turkey
December 13th, 2005 at 05:26pm
Pretty Like Drugs:
Flaming Phalanges!:
Well...a group of ten chavs waited for me outside tesco at lunch time just so they could throw 2 litre bottles of coke at me as I walked back to school...and it was cos I am the red haired goth. Cool

to this day i do not know what chavs are Retard

your name is the best song ever Cool sorry i just had to say.
i get judged all the time by people who dont know me, i remeber when i started year 7 at school i was mates with some chavs and they were nice people to me at the time and there werent really chavvy to me but then they fond out what music i like and now pretty much the whole year at school are twats to me. all they know is some of the music i like and now suddenly they all think im depressed, slit my wrists, only wear black, hate evrything, im always sad etc... and its only got worse since. they even think all my mates are 'gothic' just because they havng about with me.
personally i htink its pathetic how people can hate/love or have any opionin about people they dont even know just because they are gay/straight/like a certian type of music/ have a certan hair colour and anything else people get judged for. im tired of it.
Terminal Preppie
Geek
Terminal Preppie
February 19th, 2006 at 12:53am
O.o.... If I had enough time... and if I cared enough, I would go back and count out how many people have said something along the lines of "I don't like to be labeled" OR "I got labeled at school/home/on the street/at the mall! Whaaaa!!!!"

People need to face it...... LABELS EXSIST.... it's the stereotypes you shouldn't give in to... It's hard to tell them apart... so the lesson here is, don't think you can read someone's mind because they dress a certain way or whatever... if you know they are bitches or whatever, then go ahead... label them what you think they fit in to... but it's wrong to disreguard someone because of their apperance or whatever it is you use to label people...

And.. (I love this quote) "Those who care don't matter, and those who matter don't care" so if someone doesn't talk to you because they think you're a bloodsucking goth child... it doesn't matter, you probably wouldn't like them anyway.
Shes_A_Basket_Case
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Shes_A_Basket_Case
February 19th, 2006 at 05:52pm
Terminal Preppie:
O.o.... If I had enough time... and if I cared enough, I would go back and count out how many people have said something along the lines of "I don't like to be labeled" OR "I got labeled at school/home/on the street/at the mall! Whaaaa!!!!"

People need to face it...... LABELS EXSIST.... it's the stereotypes you shouldn't give in to... It's hard to tell them apart... so the lesson here is, don't think you can read someone's mind because they dress a certain way or whatever... if you know they are bitches or whatever, then go ahead... label them what you think they fit in to... but it's wrong to disreguard someone because of their apperance or whatever it is you use to label people...

And.. (I love this quote) "Those who care don't matter, and those who matter don't care" so if someone doesn't talk to you because they think you're a bloodsucking goth child... it doesn't matter, you probably wouldn't like them anyway.

Very well said! I agree. People need to face it, no matter what, whether you like it or not, people are going to judge you, and youre going to judge them back, its human nature, no matter how hard you try not to, its going to happen.
yeah_you
yeah_you
February 19th, 2006 at 07:44pm
Agreed. with the one up above. At my school people always say i'm stuck up when truth is i've never said one thing bad about that person, people like to put other people down its human nature i guess, Its weird because the people who DON'T know me call me a prep but the people who do call me goth/punk/Emo.
Prep,goth, punk, and emo are a way of life not clothes so when it comes down to it i'm none of the above. because at the end of the day i'm just me and your just you
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 20th, 2006 at 02:24pm
I don't really mind labels, some of them are handy for discribing people if you don't know their names you can just say "that gothic girl" or whatever.
But I'll never understand why people want to label themselves though, and it is annoying when people ask you if your goth or emo or punk or whatever, I mean I'm a fucking person, and that's the only soical catagory I want to put myself in quite frankly.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
February 21st, 2006 at 05:34am
Just had a thought (lol I need a sit down now). What if you were just yourself but you were a terrible person? And to be nice you had to change your outside attitude, because you didn't want to be horrible so you therefore had to put on a sort of..cover. This could be a stereotype, like a goth for example. You could use that to cover up your inner personality. Am I making any form of sense here or am I just chatting rubbish?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 21st, 2006 at 08:15am
Lexx. Like Woah.:
Just had a thought (lol I need a sit down now). What if you were just yourself but you were a terrible person? And to be nice you had to change your outside attitude, because you didn't want to be horrible so you therefore had to put on a sort of..cover. This could be a stereotype, like a goth for example. You could use that to cover up your inner personality. Am I making any form of sense here or am I just chatting rubbish?

Conforming to a Stereotype (where the stereotype is a positive thing), could make you a better person?

So stereotypes aren't always negative.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
February 21st, 2006 at 08:23am
Bloodraine:
Lexx. Like Woah.:

Conforming to a Stereotype (where the stereotype is a positive thing), could make you a better person?

So stereotypes aren't always negative.

No.
I think that sometimes, just sometimes, they can even make you a better person.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
February 21st, 2006 at 08:24am
Another thing, is that you don't nessecarily have to conform to a stereotype, the stereotype could fit you.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 21st, 2006 at 08:57am
x__Lexx. Like Woah.:
No.
I think that sometimes, just sometimes, they can even make you a better person.

I just said that Retard

Bloodraine:
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
February 21st, 2006 at 12:11pm
I know lol, I was repeating it to show that I agreed. xD
righteous whammy barrage
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
righteous whammy barrage
April 6th, 2006 at 10:45pm
social groups are just another excuse for people to discriminate each other. and they're funny as hell

!!EXAMPLE!!
principal: now tell me son, why did you beat that boy up?
wigger: I had to! I had jus ONE look at his uglyass face and I had to bust a cap up dat punk's ayass!

scene kid: so anyway I like just got back from Hot Topic and look I got this awesome punk shirt! it says something about this band uhh...the Sex Pistols? and it has the number 77 on it and yeah it just looked so punk. and oh yeah I'm going to this uber goth show tonight, some band that's into death and blood and gory stuff. SHIT! I'm so cool
indie kid: dude you SUCK

prep: so Jamie said that Kurt said that Nicky said that Allan said that you were gonna ask me out
jock: well they were right
stoner: *stares at prep's outfit* duuuuuuuuuude the colors are sooo...amazing

those were all based on conversations that happened at my school. ahahahahhahahahahahah
whoa
whoa
April 7th, 2006 at 07:47pm
I love stereotypes and labels and whatnot. I don't care if you tell me 'I'm a person, I cannot be defined' because half of the time in your profifle under I HATE is say "Preps, Jocks, etc" So shove it okay? People like that are loads of bull and I would never want to have one of them around me. It's contradicting to themselves. And that, my friend, is sad. Really, really sad. Pathetic even. I like labels, because then there is something over your head that you can disprove. I judge people like that everyday. Everybody does. So if you are against labels, then you should be against a hell of a lot of things.
PsychoLorny
Geek
PsychoLorny
April 7th, 2006 at 08:04pm
yah, at my school im REALLY happy and hyper, always smiling, and i like to wear dark colours coz... I like to.
EG:
Me: lol my hair is so *SEXY* (has ponytail on top of head) teheheheheheheheeeeeeeee
Chav: YOUR A GOTH AND YOU SLIT YOUR WRISTS JUST GO DIE THATS ALL YOU WANT
Me: What???
Chav: Its SO obvious, with your black nail V and RED HAIR.
Me: (looks sad) why are you being mean???
Chav: See, your just some depressed GOTH.
Me: YOU are the reason Im depressed now.
Chav: oh suuuuuuuuuure.
Me: (walks off sad)

Chavs dont realise THEY are the reason individuals who are labeled 'goths' are actually sad BECAUSE they are being labelled, its just bullying. Sad
whoknows
Geek
whoknows
April 8th, 2006 at 03:29pm
Labels bracket people into specific social groups and once labelled you stop being an individual ... the thing is tho' we are all unique just like everyone else.
xXxFallen AngelxXx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xXxFallen AngelxXx
April 8th, 2006 at 05:09pm
why cant people just live and let live? it seems like most people have to make a commet about the way other people dress ect. when really there is no need for it.
Register