Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
Opheliac_666
Geek
Opheliac_666
January 24th, 2007 at 01:47am
Goths don't have a love for macabre. That's the way the media potrays it and they makes them sound all evil and stuff.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2007 at 04:46am
Seriously? I thought they liked stuff like that, you know, the philosophical side of it. I didn't mean they like watching corpses rot or something, but that they like discussing death and what its like and why and etc. I never saw them being portrayed as evil though.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2007 at 11:53am
Opheliac_666:
Goths don't have a love for macabre. That's the way the media potrays it and they makes them sound all evil and stuff.
Which is terribly ironic really. Tabloids sicken me, but there are three publications that are the weeklies (or whatever) of Hell.

Okay!, Hello! and That-American-Thingy-That-Always-Seems-To-Have-Jennifer-Aniston-Or-Angelina-Jolie-On-The-Cover.

I think it's strange that the typical "insult-label" has morphed from 'goth' to 'emo' in a matter of a few years. *shrugs*

Someone should actually make a definitive catalogue of what is the 'true requirements' to be labelled something. I think most people would go in "Other" Cassie

Damn duckspeak.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2007 at 02:14pm
Opheliac_666:

I wouldn't say macabre.
I would say darkness.
lyrical_mess:
Seriously? I thought they liked stuff like that, you know, the philosophical side of it. I didn't mean they like watching corpses rot or something, but that they like discussing death and what its like and why and etc. I never saw them being portrayed as evil though.

Yeah, you're right about that.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2007 at 02:37pm
Joan Greenwood:
Opheliac_666:
Which is terribly ironic really. Tabloids sicken me, but there are three publications that are the weeklies (or whatever) of Hell.

Okay!, Hello! and That-American-Thingy-That-Always-Seems-To-Have-Jennifer-Aniston-Or-Angelina-Jolie-On-The-Cover.

I think it's strange that the typical "insult-label" has morphed from 'goth' to 'emo' in a matter of a few years. *shrugs*

Someone should actually make a definitive catalogue of what is the 'true requirements' to be labelled something. I think most people would go in "Other" Cassie

Damn duckspeak.

I actually get what you're saying and you're right. Tabloids are evil, the insult-label has indeed changed. But sometimes it's 'emo' and sometimes its 'prep'. I think it's because 'emos' are jokingly portrayed as no-fun, crybaby loners with nothing better to do than wear plaid pants and slit their wrists and "preps" are kind of like dumb blondes (no offense to blonde people) in that they're stupid and care about nothing but being trendy and whatnot (this is what I'm told, not what I believe)

So if there was a list or a handbook for each label, a lot of people wouldn't fit into anything. Half the people on this site don't have a label and don't know if they belong to any label at all. But I'd love to have a label, I don't know why, I just would.
Nellie Lovett.
Geek
Nellie Lovett.

Blog
January 25th, 2007 at 02:06am
lyrical_mess:
Joan Greenwood:
Opheliac_666:

Damn duckspeak.

I actually get what you're saying and you're right. Tabloids are evil, the insult-label has indeed changed. But sometimes it's 'emo' and sometimes its 'prep'. I think it's because 'emos' are jokingly portrayed as no-fun, crybaby loners with nothing better to do than wear plaid pants and slit their wrists and "preps" are kind of like dumb blondes (no offense to blonde people) in that they're stupid and care about nothing but being trendy and whatnot (this is what I'm told, not what I believe)

So if there was a list or a handbook for each label, a lot of people wouldn't fit into anything. Half the people on this site don't have a label and don't know if they belong to any label at all. But I'd love to have a label, I don't know why, I just would.

I'd believe that.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 30th, 2007 at 08:10am
It's called fashion. It's now become part of our culture and if anyone wants to be cool, they have to keep up with it and fit in by being branded.
Nellie Lovett.
Geek
Nellie Lovett.

Blog
February 4th, 2007 at 06:37am
damn scenes
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 6th, 2007 at 07:03pm
birthday_suit:
damn scenes

Why 'damn'? I love some scenes, even ones I wouldn't consider myself a part of. People are into different things, thats no new piece of information. Each scene has some common ground, it gives people a chance to connect. Even the ones I dislike I can respect. Is that a bad thing?
Funky Platypus
Idiot
Funky Platypus

Blog
February 6th, 2007 at 09:15pm
Kurtni:
birthday_suit:
damn scenes

Why 'damn'? I love some scenes, even ones I wouldn't consider myself a part of. People are into different things, thats no new piece of information. Each scene has some common ground, it gives people a chance to connect. Even the ones I dislike I can respect. Is that a bad thing?

Good point. I'm not into any trend myself, I guess if "Average" was a trend then that's where I'd be. And even though I disagree with quite a few of the scenes out there, I wouldn't want to say they suck because it's all relative.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 7th, 2007 at 02:49am
You know what? GSB is a scene, if you think about it. There's the higher ones, the ones who hang out in different areas of the site (Blah, blogs, message board,) and the people who hang out in each area can be further classified by the type of Blog, "Blah blah" or tagboard preference, and areas of the message board. And even within these classifications, you have different levels of status. In the SD thread, for example, there's Bloodraine, Courtney, Steph, Anji, spill-no-sick on top. The next level is Lucifer's Angel, Saint , me, and other people. And down at the bottom are the people who kind of just come here to read, get info, etc. And below that are the people who are mean and rude and get themselves kicked out of the SD section.

And each section of the board has that. In the Billie threads, the way bottom of the social ladder are the two or three people just joined and annoy everyone else by starting unnecessary threads and typing lik dis. Scenes are everywhere. Our common ground here is Green Day. And people GSBians, (well, they stereotype me at least) as people who have nothing better to do than waste a few hours a day on the internet as the real world falls apart around them. Only that that extreme. The people on VF get stereotyped a lot too *cough* not that I ever said anything about them...Shifty
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
February 7th, 2007 at 09:29am
lyrical_mess:
You know what? GSB is a scene, if you think about it. There's the higher ones, the ones who hang out in different areas of the site (Blah, blogs, message board,) and the people who hang out in each area can be further classified by the type of Blog, "Blah blah" or tagboard preference, and areas of the message board. And even within these classifications, you have different levels of status. In the SD thread, for example, there's Bloodraine, Courtney, Steph, Anji, spill-no-sick on top. The next level is Lucifer's Angel, Saint , me, and other people. And down at the bottom are the people who kind of just come here to read, get info, etc. And below that are the people who are mean and rude and get themselves kicked out of the SD section.

And each section of the board has that. In the Billie threads, the way bottom of the social ladder are the two or three people just joined and annoy everyone else by starting unnecessary threads and typing lik dis. Scenes are everywhere. Our common ground here is Green Day. And people GSBians, (well, they stereotype me at least) as people who have nothing better to do than waste a few hours a day on the internet as the real world falls apart around them. Only that that extreme. The people on VF get stereotyped a lot too *cough* not that I ever said anything about them...Shifty
I never thought of it that way, but you do have a point. Its like, you have people on the Tre thread, the Cheechs and we always know who is the oldest one of the Cheechs and who is the new-comer. And if you go there you will know me cause I am over there all the time. And for example, on Artist thread, there are the same people hanging around threads with their favorite bands or a part of The Clash, Blink etc. subforums. You get to know people and by time you know where you can find them and what they are interested in.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 7th, 2007 at 09:35am
Exactly. In the TPDC, you know who the top dogs are like Dawnie and pearlyfrets and greendayjunkie. And then there's newcomers like me. I joined about two weeks ago. In the poetry thread, too. But the Boss of the poet scene left a while ago. Sad
Funky Platypus
Idiot
Funky Platypus

Blog
February 8th, 2007 at 01:55am
Bittersweet vivisect ants:
lyrical_mess:

I never thought of it that way, but you do have a point. Its like, you have people on the Tre thread, the Cheechs and we always know who is the oldest one of the Cheechs and who is the new-comer. And if you go there you will know me cause I am over there all the time. And for example, on Artist thread, there are the same people hanging around threads with their favorite bands or a part of The Clash, Blink etc. subforums. You get to know people and by time you know where you can find them and what they are interested in.

I think people on the Blah Blah's are the most scene-like, very true how GSB's a scene..... now we're getting all general now, but everything's a scene, when you look at it! I mean, it's just where people stand in relation to others and our opinions on where they stand, that's where all the bias and stuff starts to come in... it doesn't have to be a BAD thing, but it can turn into it, how some things can turn into popularity contests or ignoring other people because they sound like n00bs, etc.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 8th, 2007 at 09:25am
lmfao The little noobs are the neglected Emo kids of the Gsb scene.
SHIZZZ.
Geek
SHIZZZ.
February 8th, 2007 at 09:15pm
Labels are really stupid.
I'm always called 'goth' and emo.
And then the stereotypes.
People think i cut and that I believe in Satan.
And i DON'T.
People discriminate me cuz of the way i dress.
Which doesn't make too much sense cuz i wear a lot of color and stuff.
I think that when people label themselves, they forget who they really are..
That's why I'm just me.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 8th, 2007 at 09:18pm
dub tee eff.:
And i DON'T.
That's why I'm just me.

Labels aren't stupid. Discriminating against someone because of a label would be what's stupid.
SHIZZZ.
Geek
SHIZZZ.
February 8th, 2007 at 09:20pm
Kurtni:
dub tee eff.:
And i DON'T.
That's why I'm just me.

Labels aren't stupid. Discriminating against someone because of a label would be what's stupid.

Look.
Can you please stop criticizing my opinions?
Labels are stupid.
It's my opinion.
You have to respect that.
Insurgentes
Post Whore
Insurgentes

Mibba
February 8th, 2007 at 09:25pm
dub tee eff.:
Look.
Labels are stupid.
It's my opinion.
She wasn't criticizing your opinion, she was merely stating a fact.
Not all labels are bad. They identify us into groups so we're not just one whole collective.
What is bad, is when people are using labels as derogatory terms.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 8th, 2007 at 09:47pm
dub tee eff.:

Look.
Labels are stupid.
It's my opinion.
Show me where I was being disrespectful... This is a debate forum, if you don't want replies to your opinions and you don't want to discuss them, you shouldn't post in here.
Register