Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
Deernt.
Rotting On Here
Deernt.

Mibba Blog
March 2nd, 2007 at 12:06am
Stereotypes: We have them and show them towards them. I think it's a way of life.
Social Groups: Same as above.
Discrimination: Does this mean that people are against people who are different?
In that case, that's a big Fuck off to the human race. Everyone is different. Everyone has a different reputation and everyone lives by their own morals and aspects.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 8th, 2007 at 11:38am
I think stereotyping is silly. I hate it and I would never do it to myself or others. The reason is because I don't want to be classified into a group that a hundred other people consider themselves to be. What ever happened to being yourself? Yeah, when people ask me what I am I say, "Edie" because that's my name. Why should I call myself something else? Maybe it's just because I like being an individualist.
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
April 11th, 2007 at 11:36am
^ I do that. Very Happy Except, I don't say Edie, obviously, because that's not my name...

A few months ago a young girl (about 13/14) was featured in the newspaper saying 'I don't like being called a chav, because it's racist'. Does anyone agree with that? I don't, because I don't understand how something which is socially specific can be racism, which is directed at someone's ethnic origin.
Homosexual Spencer
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Homosexual Spencer

Mibba
April 11th, 2007 at 01:45pm
I don't mind being labelled as long as people go with what I labelled me because that is who I want to be. I hadn't had any actual experiences with discrimination until the other night when I was on the thinking thread, someone said that as far as they where concerned emos can go into a hole and die (Reffering to my avatar which is a joke) then someone else had obviously been checking out my profile, which is fine, but they commented on how Dirty Little Secret by the All American Rejects (My favourite song) is the emo 'anthem'. I was personally shocked and frankly a little disgusted because I didn't expect to be singled out here of all places, where I know people have had they're fair share of shit from other human beings.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 11th, 2007 at 03:21pm
Tabby Delany:
^ I do that. Very Happy Except, I don't say Edie, obviously, because that's not my name...

A few months ago a young girl (about 13/14) was featured in the newspaper saying 'I don't like being called a chav, because it's racist'. Does anyone agree with that? I don't, because I don't understand how something which is socially specific can be racism, which is directed at someone's ethnic origin.

Yay! I'm glad. Because you are who you are. Not some weird stereotype. Cool

Yeah. It's being cruel towards a race. Chav is a stereotype. It's being stereotypical.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 11th, 2007 at 03:22pm
Perhaps the girl meant that chavs are the equivalent of "wiggers".
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 11th, 2007 at 03:26pm
lyrical_mess:
Perhaps the girl meant that chavs are the equivalent of "wiggers".

I'm not sure. I've always known chav to be a stereotype. But it's a possibility.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 06:47am
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!:
Yeah. It's being cruel towards a race. Chav is a stereotype. It's being stereotypical.

Chav isn't an ethnic group.
Chavs are not a race.

I mean, I'll let you off, you're not British and I think you probably don't understand fully the concept of Chav. In simple terms, take a Chav's passport and it will say "British Citizen". Take my passport and it says the same. Sure, there will probably be some Chavs who have other passports, but the point I am making, is that wearing trackies and rockies does not affect your ethnic origin in the slightest and the allegation that Chav is a race or an ethnic group is laughable.

It is a stereotype, I'll grant you that. But I don't understand the link between the two.

I mean, I'm English, is that a stereotype?
No, its a race.

When my brother wants to annoy me, he calls me a goth. Is that a stereotype?
Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that I still have a british passport.
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
April 12th, 2007 at 07:34am
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being thick, because I was bit confused over how chav could be racist... thanks for confirming that, guys.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:11am
Bloodraine:

Chavs are not a race.

I mean, I'll let you off, you're not British and I think you probably don't understand fully the concept of Chav. In simple terms, take a Chav's passport and it will say "British Citizen". Take my passport and it says the same. Sure, there will probably be some Chavs who have other passports, but the point I am making, is that wearing trackies and rockies does not affect your ethnic origin in the slightest and the allegation that Chav is a race or an ethnic group is laughable.

It is a stereotype, I'll grant you that. But I don't understand the link between the two.

No, its a race.

That right there is so golden. I loved reading that, thank you for enlightening my life.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:14am
Anji:
That right there is so golden. I loved reading that, thank you for enlightening my life.

You were being sarcastic, right? Coolio
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:16am
Bloodraine:

Chavs are not a race.

No, its a race.

She didn't say that chav is a race, I think she meant to explain that racism is being cruel to a race. Then she said, 'Chav is a stereotype', pointing out that they are two different terms. Con
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:17am
Bloodraine:
Anji:

You were being sarcastic, right? Coolio
No. Sarcasm radar is clear. I laughed reading that. It was a brilliant example.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:23am
Killer_Tomato:
She didn't say that chav is a race, I think she meant to explain that racism is being cruel to a race. Then she said, 'Chav is a stereotype', pointing out that they are two different terms. Con

My original point still stands Con
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:37am
Bloodraine:
Killer_Tomato:

My original point still stands Con
Sure, and I agree with you. Very Happy
missand
Geek
missand

Mibba
April 12th, 2007 at 01:33pm
1. there are no goths left, they died out many years ago
2. there are no punks left
3. preps are poeple who attend a prepatory/private school
4. neds?

What the fuck is that supposed to mean, there is no punks what in the hell is that all about. there wil always be punks
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 01:34pm
missand:
1. there are no goths left, they died out many years ago
2. there are no punks left
3. preps are poeple who attend a prepatory/private school
4. neds?

What the fuck is that supposed to mean, there is no punks what in the hell is that all about. there wil always be punks
lmfao

Where's that from? It sounds almost like some mass extiction similar to that of the dinosaurs.
missand
Geek
missand

Mibba
April 12th, 2007 at 01:35pm
You know I admit it I'm punk and I labeled myself that, and when people dont label me correctly I end up smashign their faces in.
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
April 12th, 2007 at 01:57pm
You'll isolate yourself from a lot of people if you insist on being a particular label. That's okay while we're still young, but what happens when you need to get a job, it's no use saying 'oh, I don't care I can be who I want' because you have to compromise to get on in life. I generally label myself but I wouldn't force it upon other people.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 02:10pm
Don't you watch House?! Doctor's don't have to always be nice. Well, I guess if you're Hugh Laurie. Cassie He can be my doctor anytiime.
Register