Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
April 12th, 2007 at 02:20pm
Okay... I meant like you might miss out on job oppotunities if you don't cover your tattoos up, have piercings, etc.

[offtopic]And I was going to watch House, but I think it clashed with something and opted for the something else. Very Happy And Hugh Laurie? Really?[/offtopic]
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 02:23pm
I think nowadays, people tend to ignore your look and value your knowledge. Otherwise Cambridge made a big mistake with me. lmfao
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
April 12th, 2007 at 02:30pm
Laughing See, now I'd like to think that as well, but I've been trying to get a job recently and a lot of places say you can be dismissed if you show tattoos. One place even said the same for shaved hair. Granted, it doesn't bother me at the moment, because I'm not inked yet. But I don't see why that's an issue. I mean, tattoos have been around for centuries, so why are they still not socially accepted?

Again, I might be rambling. Shifty *enter soapbox*
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 02:32pm
My dad's been a skinhead ever since he was, I dunno, twenty. But he has studied at some very prestigious places, lectured at quite a few universities, and worked at the UN for a long time.
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
April 12th, 2007 at 02:47pm
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, because I don't understand why employers would specify that. I'm going to give up now because you're completely proving me wrong here. Embarassed
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 02:49pm
No it's just I don't understand either.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 12th, 2007 at 03:27pm
Killer_Tomato:
Bloodraine:
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!:
Yeah. It's being cruel towards a race. Chav is a stereotype. It's being stereotypical.

Chav isn't an ethnic group.
Chavs are not a race.

I mean, I'll let you off, you're not British and I think you probably don't understand fully the concept of Chav. In simple terms, take a Chav's passport and it will say "British Citizen". Take my passport and it says the same. Sure, there will probably be some Chavs who have other passports, but the point I am making, is that wearing trackies and rockies does not affect your ethnic origin in the slightest and the allegation that Chav is a race or an ethnic group is laughable.

It is a stereotype, I'll grant you that. But I don't understand the link between the two.

I mean, I'm English, is that a stereotype?
No, its a race.

When my brother wants to annoy me, he calls me a goth. Is that a stereotype?
Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that I still have a british passport.
She didn't say that chav is a race, I think she meant to explain that racism is being cruel to a race. Then she said, 'Chav is a stereotype', pointing out that they are two different terms. Con

Yeah, that's what I meant. My bad. xDD I thought I did put that. I was thinking faster then I was typing. xD
Rainbows in the Dark
Idiot
Rainbows in the Dark

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 03:55pm
It really bothers me when people (specifically on here) are like "OMG preps are soo mean. They all suck."
...Maybe the handful that you encountered are, but again that's no different than when other people say something along the lines of "Punks are stupid".
Being a prep doesn't make you a bad person, I'm friends with quite a few people that would fit in that category.
Lol I'm so off topic from what everyone else is talking about.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 13th, 2007 at 03:18pm
Rainbows in the Dark:
It really bothers me when people (specifically on here) are like "OMG preps are soo mean. They all suck."
...Maybe the handful that you encountered are, but again that's no different than when other people say something along the lines of "Punks are stupid".
Being a prep doesn't make you a bad person, I'm friends with quite a few people that would fit in that category.

Do they actually call themselves that? If not, then you really aren't obligated, in my opinion, to call them that.
Rainbows in the Dark
Idiot
Rainbows in the Dark

Blog
April 13th, 2007 at 03:26pm
Rainbows in the Dark:

Do they actually call themselves that? If not, then you really aren't obligated, in my opinion, to call them that.

They don't go around going like "Hello I'm _______ and I'm a prep" but once in a while it'll come in a conversation and they're in agreement that they are.
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
April 14th, 2007 at 08:46pm
stereotypes are useless things made out from the need of a sicko society to mock on something rather than of his own disgrace and feel a fake sense of superiority.

for example:some hate americans because of their "lack" of culture and excessive influence over many nations.are they worse than them?
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 14th, 2007 at 09:16pm
Rainbows in the Dark:
Rainbows in the Dark:

They don't go around going like "Hello I'm _______ and I'm a prep" but once in a while it'll come in a conversation and they're in agreement that they are.

Ah. I don't see why you'd want to agree with it though.
Rainbows in the Dark
Idiot
Rainbows in the Dark

Blog
April 14th, 2007 at 11:20pm
Rainbows in the Dark:
Rainbows in the Dark:

Ah. I don't see why you'd want to agree with it though.

When they say that you mean?
Why wouldn't I? It doesn't hurt anyone, they're ok with it, I don't see the problem.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:19am
i discriminate against oranges because of all the fake tannes
it just a physical representation of how fake they are
Its funny when andy calls them umpa lumpas and asks them if the chocolate factory closed early

i generalize people like that coz experience has taught me they are all a bunch of ignorant bitches that need a reality check
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 03:02am
Be Your Own Pet!:
Its funny when andy calls them umpa lumpas and asks them if the chocolate factory closed early

i generalize people like that coz experience has taught me they are all a bunch of ignorant bitches that need a reality check
Well, I'm about to generalise you right now, as an ignorant bitch who need a reality check. It's not just what they look like that explains their personality.

I have a friend who's a flight attendant and she tells me stories all the time about how you'd be surprised about people once you get to know them. If she stereotyped everyone she ever met, she'd be out of a job.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 01:34pm
so, at least i dont hide behind fakeness
i may have caused a lot of offensive but at least i've been honest and said what i really think
my opinions are my opinions, your are yours, there's no use getting offended over what people say
and there are many many reasons for why people are who they are
and hey, who knows, maybe we'd be surprized about each other if we knew each other
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
April 15th, 2007 at 01:38pm
Be Your Own Pet!:

So, people who may not be able to afford a nice holiday in the sun shouldn't be allowed to use fake than because it makes them ignorant bitches?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 01:49pm
Be Your Own Pet!:
so, at least i dont hide behind fakeness
i may have caused a lot of offensive but at least i've been honest and said what i really think
my opinions are my opinions, your are yours, there's no use getting offended over what people say
and there are many many reasons for why people are who they are
and hey, who knows, maybe we'd be surprized about each other if we knew each other
You know what'd surprise me? If you could show some seriousness behind your arguements for once. Not just blindly say something and then try to make things better by telling some that your 'just kidding'.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 16th, 2007 at 04:06pm
no, people who uses excessive fake tan every day so much that their skin is orange
or in rebecca sims case mahoganay - trust me, if u went to my old school and had to put up with their rediculessness then u'd understand, they're so pathetic, they even call themselves the pink plastics and the diamond gals,
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 16th, 2007 at 04:13pm
Elegant Ruble:
no, people who uses excessive fake tan every day so much that their skin is orange
or in rebecca sims case mahoganay - trust me, if u went to my old school and had to put up with their rediculessness then u'd understand, they're so pathetic, they even call themselves the pink plastics and the diamond gals,

but thats one group of people. you shouldn't generalize everyone because of it. my friend who i've known for a long used a spray on tan recently. Is she fake? no. Do i think any differently of her? no.
Register