Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
April 17th, 2007 at 02:24pm
You can't categorise someone because they use a lot of fake tan. There's discrimination but that's ridiculous. I'm planning on using fake tan too, obviously not to look 'orange' because whatever label you supposedly fit, there's very few people who look attractive when bright orange. But that doesn't reflect on me as a person.

And I don't see anything wrong with people identifying themselves in groups like that, it's a bit of fun for them, not for the to separate themselves. I don't see how you can call someone pathetic when you know nothing about them, just because someone is different doesn't mean they're 'pathetic'.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 17th, 2007 at 02:50pm
im not talking about people who use fake tan per se but people who use way too much of it all the time, its not as if im going to hate a person just because they use it, i've used it, you know the moisturizer thingy with it in it

And the people im talking about specifically are what we call(ed) at our school the oranges, and ur right, bright orange is def not a good look for any of them

and i do know something about them. thats how i know they are pathetic
Rae.
Post Whore
Rae.
April 17th, 2007 at 06:41pm
Labels are just a part of modern society, especially with anything entertainment wise. They can be as annoying as fuck, true, but they're going to be used regardless.

I tend to ignore the 'goth' and 'punk' titles I get because I wear excessive amounts of eyeliner. It's just ridiculous to label someone because of the makeup they wear around their eyes or any other trivial thing.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 18th, 2007 at 12:19am
Ideally, people would be labelled by their thoughts and actions. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen because when you see someone, you don't observe them before automatically having something pop up in your head.

For example, you see a dude with a huge fringe and blue eyeliner on his eyelids and all that sort of stuff. Your mind says "Emo." but then five minutes later, (if you have any sense) you'll tell yourself its ridiculous to put someone into a group before talking to him. But we just see people and categorize them subconciously.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 18th, 2007 at 12:33am
I label people based on looks.
I don't feel bad about it.
I don't immediately think "bitch" when a girl gets labelled "prep" in my mind.
She gets labelled "bitch" after she smirks at me or growls at my rainbow pin.
To me, labels like: emo, prep, goth, punk don't coincide with things like: dick, bitch, cow, whore, slut.
I just like to tell people apart.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 18th, 2007 at 02:54am
lyrical_mess:
Ideally, people would be labelled by their thoughts and actions. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen because when you see someone, you don't observe them before automatically having something pop up in your head.

For example, you see a dude with a huge fringe and blue eyeliner on his eyelids and all that sort of stuff. Your mind says "Emo." but then five minutes later, (if you have any sense) you'll tell yourself its ridiculous to put someone into a group before talking to him. But we just see people and categorize them subconciously.
I agree with that. Its just what we naturally do. We need to place people somewhere. But some judge others with no real basis. I mean if a see a guy with a Mohawk and a dozen pins of course I will think he is punk. But I wont think he is an outlaw or an delinquent like some people would. I didn't have one class at school so I was alone in the hallway and also was this girl from 6th grade. And I thought that she is probably an ok kid, but that we have nothing in common. She just didn't look like someone I would be friends with. But we started talking and I realized we have a lot in common and that she is a really nice girl. The point is that I judged before I even met her and that was wrong. But I am glad I still talked to her and met an interesting person.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 18th, 2007 at 10:35am
Dr. Cuddy:
lyrical_mess:

I agree with that. Its just what we naturally do. We need to place people somewhere. But some judge others with no real basis. I mean if a see a guy with a Mohawk and a dozen pins of course I will think he is punk. But I wont think he is an outlaw or an delinquent like some people would. I didn't have one class at school so I was alone in the hallway and also was this girl from 6th grade. And I thought that she is probably an ok kid, but that we have nothing in common. She just didn't look like someone I would be friends with. But we started talking and I realized we have a lot in common and that she is a really nice girl. The point is that I judged before I even met her and that was wrong. But I am glad I still talked to her and met an interesting person.
This is where reading and watching Sherlock Holmes films and books in my youth has paid off. One of my favourite past times is to just sit there and observe people, and because of that, i don't judge people on how they 'look' but instead on how they act. This is why I get really into movies, good ones. Because the acting is just true. And I love analysing movies and plays, as well. I stopped caring ages ago about how people looked, I even stopped caring about how I looked for a while. But then I realised that other people do care about what I look like maybe because they can't tell me by what I act like.

I really love watching people, I do it for hours sometimes. Just how they look back at me, or how they look at other people, their reactions, their walk, their stride, their poise, their posture, those things will tell you more accurately about a person than how they look.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 18th, 2007 at 11:08am
Anji:
This is where reading and watching Sherlock Holmes films and books in my youth has paid off. One of my favourite past times is to just sit there and observe people, and because of that, i don't judge people on how they 'look' but instead on how they act. This is why I get really into movies, good ones. Because the acting is just true. And I love analysing movies and plays, as well. I stopped caring ages ago about how people looked, I even stopped caring about how I looked for a while. But then I realised that other people do care about what I look like maybe because they can't tell me by what I act like.

I really love watching people, I do it for hours sometimes. Just how they look back at me, or how they look at other people, their reactions, their walk, their stride, their poise, their posture, those things will tell you more accurately about a person than how they look.

I love doing that. I've learned a lot from doing it.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
May 1st, 2007 at 03:56pm
I judge people, if i see someone walking out of Aerocrombie I automatically think a certain thing. But that doesn't mean I won't talk, help or treat them any differently.
billiejoeroxx
Geek
billiejoeroxx
May 5th, 2007 at 11:21am
if u want 2 c bad discrimination and social groups try my school... every place u turn there r groups talking about other people and fights... i may live in a very small town, but theres alot of dissagreements... like right now its the people that think they r popular group against people like myself that r outcasts... and its over a stupid door that someone locked on a natural helpers trip... yeah thats stupid, but thats how stupid people who think they r popular r @ my school...
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
May 5th, 2007 at 03:04pm
At my school there are loads of cliques. Our school has an obvious segregation among these groups, and it dates back. I mean, if I went up to my dad who went to the same school i did and I said "who hangs out at the Kingsway doors?" He would mention the same group that always does.
Now, regarding fights or discriminations among grounps, I'd say it's more unjust generalizations. Someone had a fight with an "emo" friend, now they hate "emos" on the whole, which includes anyone baring signs remotely connected to the emo style.
Most of the discrimination or physical fighting in my school is based on sexuality. The words gay and fag/faggot are tossed around all the time and just the other day two guys in my grade got in a fist fight about one guy's supposed homsexuality.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 5th, 2007 at 03:36pm
Misanthropist:
At my school there are loads of cliques. Our school has an obvious segregation among these groups, and it dates back. I mean, if I went up to my dad who went to the same school i did and I said "who hangs out at the Kingsway doors?" He would mention the same group that always does.
Now, regarding fights or discriminations among grounps, I'd say it's more unjust generalizations. Someone had a fight with an "emo" friend, now they hate "emos" on the whole, which includes anyone baring signs remotely connected to the emo style.
Most of the discrimination or physical fighting in my school is based on sexuality. The words gay and fag/faggot are tossed around all the time and just the other day two guys in my grade got in a fist fight about one guy's supposed homsexuality.
Now thats ignorant. I hate it when they discriminate people. Labeling is a part of life, you cant get rid of it, but ignorant discrimination over that labels is what pisses me off. Its just so stupid.
Having A Green Day
Jackass
Having A Green Day
May 20th, 2007 at 07:59am
I'm always getting called a goth or an emo at school and it's annoying because if in any label im a punk and I get the mick taken out of me cause there are so many chavs at school and I have an emo friend and a goth friend. Yeah we're differetn than most people but it doesn't mean you should be mean
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 20th, 2007 at 10:45am
GreenDayrthebest:
I'm always getting called a goth or an emo at school and it's annoying because if in any label im a punk and I get the mick taken out of me cause there are so many chavs at school and I have an emo friend and a goth friend. Yeah we're differetn than most people but it doesn't mean you should be mean

Why is it ok for you to lable and judge them, but it isnt ok for them to do the same to you?
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
May 20th, 2007 at 03:11pm
I'm not bothered by labels. I've been called a variety of different labels, and it's not something I care too much about. All I care about is that I have good friends and I can get through school.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
May 21st, 2007 at 03:18pm
It doesn't bother me, only when its used in a negative way. Like when people don't like you because you are emo, goth, or a chav. I just think that childish. I think without labels the world would be so confusing, there would be no way of classiflying things like music or fashion.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
May 21st, 2007 at 05:25pm
I hate labels because people are really ignorant about them.
I have naturally dark hair and naturally pale skin. I get called "emo" ALL THE TIME.
In fact, just the other day, I was wearing a Nine Inch Nails shirt, and some kid ran up to me, started fake-slitting his wrists and pretend-crying, then called me an emo...

It's not the label that bugs me, it's the ignorance behind it.
I hate being judged as something I'm not, because morons think they know what they're talking about.
Since when did jeans and industrial-rock band shirts become emo? Or it might have been those hardcore emo Etnies I was wearing. Maybe it's because I don't dye my hair. Damn, I'm so emo. Rolling Eyes
What makes me angry is that not one of the people who stereotype me can actually name one REAL emo band (Rites Of Spring and such from the 80s, I mean.. not My Chemical Romance >> )

Quote:
"You hang out with Ernest? Wow, emo, haha"
.. Rolling Eyes
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 30th, 2007 at 06:57pm
kat_loves_Green_Day:
Labels are stupid, I would know being the one and only emo/goth in my entire school I get labeled quite alot. People are people not matter how they dress or act.

Read:

Labels are stupid. I AM AN EMO/GOTH, I HAVE JUST GIVEN MYSELF A LABEL.
Oh, yeah, labels are stupid.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
May 31st, 2007 at 12:21am
LOKLOKOKOOLOLOLOLO ^^^ that was funny. >_>
N E WAYZ
stereotypes are a way of life. people can't help but to judge and stereotype. Common fear I guess.
[if I saw a scary looking man id prolly run away cause I STEREOTYPED him as dangerous.] idk, instincts i guess. [if i saw someone wearing all black id think oh they must be like hard rockers!@&!%#*!] or coming from a funeral.....i would like for people just to get over it. so people are stereotypical and judgemental? oh well.....lets all just be happypfffft : D and shut up. blahblah.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
May 31st, 2007 at 07:01pm
kat_loves_Green_Day:
Labels are stupid, I would know being the one and only emo/goth in my entire school I get labeled quite alot.

lmfao lmfao lmfao
Register