Dress codes

AuthorMessage
Bamf!
Jackass
Bamf!
April 14th, 2006 at 01:55pm
My school does not wear uniforms. However, we do have a limit to what we wear. Can't wear shirts that show the bra, and for guys, can't wear pants where you can see their underwear. Simple. Also, no midrifs, or anything that shows the navel area. No chains either. These things don't bother me, for, I don't even own anything (accept spaghetti strap shirts) that would go against the code. Oh and the one rule that everyone ignores is the old "shorts down to your fingertips" thing. Even I don't obey that. I have quite lengthy arms, so it's difficult to find a pair of shorts that go past my fingertips anyway.
wheels-and-dolls-baby
Geek
wheels-and-dolls-baby
April 14th, 2006 at 02:06pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
You cant wear football colors? Thats so stupid.

If she lives in Glasgow (There's a chance seeing has her location is Scotland), there's a pretty good reason for that.
There's this whole massive thing, like she said, sectarianism and the like which is centered around two football teams called Celtic and Rangers (or the Old Firm). There are some pretty big issues revolving around social, cultural, historical and religious circumstances there...

Yeah, I do live on the outskirts of Glasgow and although I am not particularly into football myself my dad and my sister are and they both support Rangers, so I was at a football match last Saturday with them but didn't find it unnerving as A) It was a small match and B) not against Celtic, but there was a programme on TV last night about football where some Rangers fans had been shouting stuff like f*** the Pope becasue originally Rangers was a Protestant team and Celtic a Catholic team, of course not all Rangers fans, my Dad and sister included, are against Catholics just like not all Celtic fans, like my friend Lorna are against Protestants but this has been more contreversial than ver although 20 or 30 years ago there was a lot more sectarianism and fighting at football matches as well as singing songs which can be racist but people did not make a big deal of that back then, but even when I was in Primary Schol we were not allowed to wear football colours because the boys in our class would have arguments and fights over which football team they supported (mainy Celtic or Rangers) and although my dad would not like it, if I chose to support Celtic he would accept that and not make a big deal out of it like some other Glaswegian parents might do. I think a lot of sectarianism has been brought on by word of mouth like parents or friends enforcing an opnion on people and making them believe it even though them may not know a lot about it
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 02:11pm
Oh, I wasnt aware of that. I never knew sports were such an issue there. I dont get how sports can be such an issue, its a game. If it isnt fun, whats the point in it? Evidently its a little more than a sport in Glasgow.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 02:16pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Oh, I wasnt aware of that. I never knew sports were such an issue there. I dont get how sports can be such an issue, its a game. If it isnt fun, whats the point in it? Evidently its a little more than a sport in Glasgow.

Oh, exactly.
It's more than just a sport, and not just in Glasgow by any means.

Football in general (real football, not that american stuff Laughing), can get pretty nasty with rivalries. It's a passionate thing, I can tell you. Which is why they ban colours, even in my school, where there isn't huge rivalry at all.

As it happens, my scottish cousin is a Rangers fan and I follow football in general anyway, so I don't blame you for not knowing.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 02:19pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:

Oh, exactly.
It's more than just a sport, and not just in Glasgow by any means.

Football in general (real football, not that american stuff Laughing), can get pretty nasty with rivalries. It's a passionate thing, I can tell you. Which is why they ban colours, even in my school, where there isn't huge rivalry at all.

As it happens, my scottish cousin is a Rangers fan and I follow football in general anyway, so I don't blame you for not knowing.

Yeah, My Stupid American Is showing Laughing
I like sports, but I dont see how anyone could get into such an intense rivalry about them.
wheels-and-dolls-baby
Geek
wheels-and-dolls-baby
April 14th, 2006 at 02:42pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:

exactly, that's my view on it, that it's just a game, it's never that much of an issue for any other sport , usually just football
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 02:46pm
wheels-and-dolls-baby:
I_worship_tre_Cool:

exactly, that's my view on it, that it's just a game, it's never that much of an issue for any other sport , usually just football

I'm going to sound stupid here but...it's more than just a game to so many people. But that's just 'cause I'm a big follower of it.
And it is mainly football, I'll concede on that.

I mean...not to pick on one group of people in general but they go crazy for it in Turkey. You get stabbings and riots and shit over there. Well, you get that anywhere, really. I stayed in a town about two hours away from Barcelona on holiday, and there was not a Real Madrid shirt in sight (them and Barcelona are rivals), that's how seriously they take it.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 03:22pm
I remember after the world series (baseball) there was a huge riot, 5 people died. Its sad that people get so worked up and violent, it kills the fun of sports.

Im saying this now, in an hour when baseball is on I'll be screaming at the TV and the damn umpires Rolling Eyes
LAL
Geek
LAL
April 15th, 2006 at 09:10am
Uniforms are shit and anywhere you go with your class the teachers always give you this lecture about representing the school
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
April 15th, 2006 at 09:44am
!nsomn!ac punk:
School uniform is a good thing in my eyes, well for my school. We had No school uniform the other day and some of the things the girls were wearing it was very disgraceful. Plus not every one has money and it save other kids from getting picked on.

although uniforms can be pretty expensive. Well mine is. But there are almost only rich kids, here. meh.
stilinski
stilinski

Blog
April 15th, 2006 at 09:46am
Mackass:
Uniforms are shit and anywhere you go with your class the teachers always give you this lecture about representing the school

Yeah. And how is that a bad thing?
Escaped Mental Patient
Jackass
Escaped Mental Patient

Mibba
April 15th, 2006 at 10:36am
They should be allowed to wear what ever they want. It's not the military.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 15th, 2006 at 10:58am
i think there should be some restriction , i mean some peopel get very easily offened but other than that i could care less
It Had to Be You.
It Had to Be You.
April 15th, 2006 at 11:38am
I don't have uniforms/dress codes at my school. Dress codes as in what you can and cannot wear? I mean, yah, my school has that, but only if you violate it in a derogatory way. I mean, don't go in to school naked. xDD

And we don't wear uniforms. In my opinion, I think we should. Then we wouldn't have to worry about what we're gonna wear the next day. We can just put on the uniform. \m/
the_banana
Geek
the_banana
April 15th, 2006 at 01:25pm
*LiL_ReBeL_AnGeL*:
They should be allowed to wear what ever they want. It's not the military.

yeah, thats what i think! uniforms are just boring and for me it would be such a restriction! i couldn t stand that...I think school should be a multicolored place where everybody can be what he/she wants to be...we dont have uniforms at my school and we are allowed to wear what we want, and you know what? its fine! when i feel like dyeing my hair purple then i can do that and nobody cares! or when i feel like get my nose or lip or whatever pierced then i can do that....and its great, its kind of freedom in lots of ways
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
April 15th, 2006 at 04:21pm
Well, there have been incidents where girls have beaten up other girls for wearing the same things as them, or something. Really quite stupid, actually. So that's why uniforms are a good idea.
But, I'd rather be able to express who I am through my dress, without so many restrictions.

So... we should wear uniforms, but be able to wear whatever else we want with it (as long as it's appropreiate)- like jewelry, etc.
It's only school- like what you wear there matters anyway.
ren
Idiot
ren
April 15th, 2006 at 04:32pm
we dont have uniforms at my school, and im personally adverse to uniforms i do however see some good in them. I think maybe instead of a uniform there should be more restrictions. Spring has sprung at PCEP and I have seen too many middrifts, asses and cleavage and its only april. The problem at my school is the amount of people. We have close to 6000 kids and you cant catch all of them even with 3 princpals, 3 APs and many other teachers. Theres also some bias to women being told its inappropriate and men showing their asses/boxers. Uniforms would help but i think theres a fear of squashing peoples individuality.
killing loneliness
Idiot
killing loneliness
April 15th, 2006 at 04:58pm
our school had uniforms about 25 or abit mroe years ago.my mum remembers em...it depends on the uniform..if the uniform would contain a dark black skirt, chucks, a pair of worn out jeans, a belt with those metal squares, a dark red bleiser, a white shirt and a tie picked by the person him/herself...well, if it'd be like that, i'd agree...
now...since out school doesn't have a uniform any more...everybody can wear what they like. look...the thing is...schools should have uniforms...but let the students themselves have the choice between wearing the uniform and clothing of their own choice. believe me..some people would go for the uniform...or mix it with their own clothes..it'd be really awesome that way you know.
the_banana
Geek
the_banana
April 16th, 2006 at 05:45am
makin out with an icecube:
.if the uniform would contain a dark black skirt, chucks, a pair of worn out jeans, a belt with those metal squares, a dark red bleiser, a white shirt and a tie picked by the person him/herself...

and all the pinkie glitter glamour girlie girls would kill you for this lmfao
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 16th, 2006 at 12:13pm
at my school the only thing we can wear to show our induviduality is our belts Rolling Eyes its completly ridiculous

i mean theres certain things that you shouldnt wear.

this is sorta ridiculous but in a wierd way it gets you more friends also
ex: your walking down the hall in a SOAD shirt, jeans and chucks someone might go 'you like them too?' then you would talk to that person and become friends

i know it sounds dumb but its true
Register