The Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
whoa
King For A Couple Of Days
whoa
October 26th, 2005 at 08:43pm
I think that people should be able to replace 'God' with whatever they see fit based on their religions, or don't say it if they don't believe. Around the time it was written, most people believed in God so that is why it is there, there isn't really a need to change it in my opinion.
Rainbows in the Dark
Idiot
Rainbows in the Dark

Blog
October 27th, 2005 at 03:46pm
I think they should take it out but since i doubt that will happen just don't say that part or replace it with a god you do believe in. i also don't like it because it seems to say that this nation is a single religion country and god will guide us. i don't say it at all because i find it stupid to say it because a) i say it everyday. b) its a piece of cloth c) i don't agree with the american government at this time. d) also, liberty and justice for ALL, i don't think so. the right idea but its never gonna happen
Faith
Addict
Faith
October 27th, 2005 at 05:54pm
darkmagick1002:
do you guys think the saying "Under God" should be taken out of the pledge?

i do because in a country that expresses freedom of religion there should not be under god in a openly stated phrase. maybe it should be changed to "Under all gods" but not "Under God"......what do you think?

Well, it doesn't exactly say under which God... Everyone has their own God, it's just that they have different names. I personally don't think religion has anything to do with God really, it's just a cult, but realistically...yeah, "under God" should be taken out. If I believed in Buddah, I'd want it to be "under Buddah" or Allah, maybe some would want it to be "above Devil", and that's their faith, which is guaranteed to be untouched by the 1st Amendment; so, yeah, I think it should be taken out.
Mint Oreo cupcake
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Mint Oreo cupcake
October 29th, 2005 at 03:47pm
if its such a big deal to say "under God" (which the nation was founded on to begin with) then dont say it, u dont need to officially take it out of it, jeez. next u'll want to take "one nation under God" off the dollar bill too, its the same thing. nobody's making u say it, why do u have to drag the whole government into it? is it that big a deal?
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
February 26th, 2006 at 08:23pm
no, thats ridiculous. this country's started with almost everyone being christian, and i dont think we should change our country's plaedge just because other cuktures, those who are offened say under'whoever they worship'
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 27th, 2006 at 06:50am
tre_cool_is_meh_god:
no, thats ridiculous. this country's started with almost everyone being christian

Only after those rabid, ignorant Christians kicked all the Native Americans off their land and destroyed their culture and way of life.

The country didn't start as Christian at all.
Beautiful_Imperfection
Geek
Beautiful_Imperfection
March 28th, 2006 at 08:47pm
Minority27:
_i dont care_doyou?:
I think it's ridiculous that people are just noticing that as a part of the song, it makes them look stupid. i respect all religious beliefs and everything, but if you dont like it, you dont have to say it, you arent forced to.
kids at my school just stay seated in their desks instead of standing up

---same here
Erin; Technophile
Post Whore
Erin; Technophile

Mibba
March 28th, 2006 at 08:54pm
ingrid:
Minority27:
_i dont care_doyou?:
I think it's ridiculous that people are just noticing that as a part of the song, it makes them look stupid. i respect all religious beliefs and everything, but if you dont like it, you dont have to say it, you arent forced to.
kids at my school just stay seated in their desks instead of standing up

---same here

I do that. me and a couple people got yelled at for doing that
Bamf!
Jackass
Bamf!
March 28th, 2006 at 09:38pm
Honestly, I don't think you should have to say it if you don't want to. I mean, I know what it stands for, but if people dont want to, I don't think they should have to. Obviously, if it is against your religion, then no you can't, but I just think if you don't want to, you shouldn't be forced to, like we are at school.
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
April 1st, 2006 at 02:42pm
I just flat out think that pledging to a damn manufactured piece of cloth is stupid. Pledging to all those who have died would be much better, not to their entire country, considering this country isn't the greatest.

I don't say the pledge, yet I stand just to show SOME respect.
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 1st, 2006 at 03:50pm
I think the pledge should stay the same.

If you dont want to say "Under God" then dont say it. No one has you at gun point going say "under God" thats what makes America a free country
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 1st, 2006 at 05:49pm
Wow, I've been oddly silent on this whole thing...

Listen, the Pledge was written decades ago by a guy from Mount Morris, New York. He didn't even put in the words "United States of America." His feeling was that all nations should be able to use this pledge for their own. "I pledge allegiance to the flag of Latvia." Et cetera.

The USA caught wind of this, and adopted the Pledge as their own. Some decades later, Congress inserted "under God" between "one nation" and "indivisible."

Myself? I omit "under God." I'm skeptical as to God's existence at this point of my life. Why should anyone, especially teens that are desperately attempting to form their own opinions, have God forced upon them?
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
April 1st, 2006 at 06:55pm
At my school -it being your average close minded incredible strict Irish Roman Catholic school- we have morning prayers, which I use not to mind because for the last few years we had this really sound school chaplin Fr. Declan who didn't force us to do anything religious, or otherwise, that we weren't comfortable with but now we this nun Sister Breege who takes it apon herself to make atheists (like me) start believing in god. It makes me quite upset sometimes and I'm considering reporting her...
Sarah.
Sarah.
April 1st, 2006 at 07:59pm
I used to have to say the pledge of alliegence and I never got the point of why we had to say it...
GD Addicts Anonymous
Falling In Love With The Board
GD Addicts Anonymous
April 1st, 2006 at 10:57pm
I personally think that whole situation is ridiculous. It shouldn't offend anybody. I'm a Christian, but if there was a reference to something Islamic or Buddhist or some other religion I wouldn't be offended at all. And if you don't believe in God, just don't say it. That's all there is to it.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 2nd, 2006 at 09:32am
ixlovexbilliexjoe:
I personally think that whole situation is ridiculous. It shouldn't offend anybody. I'm a Christian, but if there was a reference to something Islamic or Buddhist or some other religion I wouldn't be offended at all. And if you don't believe in God, just don't say it. That's all there is to it.
The point for me isn't that it's Christian (well, monotheistic religion anyway), but that it's RELIGIOUS. I don't like religion in schools outside of religious education. Our school, for example, has a freshman paper in which you are assigned a world religion to report on. This is the most emphasized project of the year, and I do think it helps. Before it, I don't think I even knew Shintoism existed.

But beyond education, the religious role of schools is pretty much nil. Unless, of course, you're attending Catholic school or whatever. Then you're pretty much going to have to take the religion, because that's part of the job that Catholic schools set out to do. It's their "mission statement," if you will. Public schools? Their mission statement is to educate, not to convert.

Besides, God at THAT hour of the morning? It's...ungodly.
Fiver The Badass Puppy
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Fiver The Badass Puppy
April 3rd, 2006 at 08:13pm
I think if you don't want to say it, then don't come into a Christian country. Besides, most every religion brances off of God or Jesus. We have Jewish people, Muslim people, and Christian people.
FEARmyGIGANTICpenis
FEARmyGIGANTICpenis
April 3rd, 2006 at 08:45pm
I don't say the pledge at all.... even though every morning we're supposed to but I say:

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
One nation under dog
There of which I stand alone
A face in a crowd unsung aginst the mold
Without a doubt singled out
The only way I know
Cause I wanna be the Minority

Yea..... it's the Minority song.....
JESSY NIGHTMARE
Idiot
JESSY NIGHTMARE
April 3rd, 2006 at 08:45pm
I don't say the pledge.
If you don't want to say it you don't have to.
But there is a seperation of church and state.
And this country has freedom of religion.
They should either make it to where it says all gods or something to that effect or take it out.
In my opinion...
neil patrick harris.
Jackass
neil patrick harris.

Blog
April 4th, 2006 at 01:12am
I stand up, put my hand over my heart, but I never say it.
Register