The Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Resistance
Geek
Resistance
May 8th, 2006 at 06:49pm
darkmagick1002:
do you guys think the saying "Under God" should be taken out of the pledge?

i do because in a country that expresses freedom of religion there should not be under god in a openly stated phrase. maybe it should be changed to "Under all gods" but not "Under God"......what do you think?

I think "under God" should be taken out. Along with all the other words.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 8th, 2006 at 07:27pm
DistortedMorality:
darkmagick1002:

i do because in a country that expresses freedom of religion there should not be under god in a openly stated phrase. maybe it should be changed to "Under all gods" but not "Under God"......what do you think?

This is a debate thread, if you wont back your arguements up, don't post.
It Had to Be You.
King For A Couple Of Days
It Had to Be You.
May 8th, 2006 at 07:28pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
DistortedMorality:
darkmagick1002:

He doesn't need to. He's God. Cool
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 8th, 2006 at 07:29pm
Panagiotakos.<3:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
DistortedMorality:
darkmagick1002:

Excpet he isnt. Rolling Eyes
Resistance
Geek
Resistance
May 8th, 2006 at 07:38pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
DistortedMorality:
darkmagick1002:

Do you have something to back that up? Wink

I dislike the idea of brainwashing the youth to accept allegience to a nation, and to accept that this nation is somehow endorsed by God. Which I highly doubt, Jesus, in his quest to seek no kindgoms but the Kingdom of God, is an anarchist, believing in not an earthly nation, but a heavenly one.
And, as Rise Against once said:
Would God bless the murder of the innocent?
Would God bless a war based on pride?
Would God bless a money hungry gov't?
No!
Would God bless our ineffective court system?
Would God bless the sweatshops we run?
Would God bless Amerika?
Resistance
Geek
Resistance
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Panagiotakos.<3:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
DistortedMorality:
darkmagick1002:

Yes I am. I'll start a thread later.
It Had to Be You.
It Had to Be You.
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Panagiotakos.<3:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
DistortedMorality:
darkmagick1002:

Pfft. ._. Don't roll your eyes at me missy! Azdaja
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
May 8th, 2006 at 08:03pm
Behave yourselves!

Anyway. About the pledge. At least leave a couple words?

Maybe...
"I liberty"
Resistance
Geek
Resistance
May 10th, 2006 at 03:26pm
Kitti:
Behave yourselves!

Maybe...
"I liberty"

Naw. Person liberty defeats the purpose of the Pledge of Allegiance.

I pledge a grievance against politicians

Of the Imperial State of America.

I support Democracy, against which they stand,

Two Parties imitating gods, indistinguishable,

Against liberty, for injustice to all.
Kitti
Kitti
May 10th, 2006 at 05:27pm
DistortedMorality:
Kitti:
Behave yourselves!

Maybe...
"I liberty"

Naw. Person liberty defeats the purpose of the Pledge of Allegiance.

I pledge a grievance against politicians

Of the Imperial State of America.

I support Democracy, against which they stand,

Two Parties imitating gods, indistinguishable,

Against liberty, for injustice to all.
Sorry. I meant "I...liberty"
Matty.
Matty.
May 11th, 2006 at 08:48am
never done it lol, we dont do that stuff in oz
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
May 11th, 2006 at 04:10pm
i still get up to pledge , when it comes to under God i jsut don't say it, unlike my mom who basically screams it Rolling Eyes
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
May 15th, 2006 at 05:31pm
I get to say the Pledge on the morning announcements at times. Next time? "Under God" is OUT bitches, because I will not say it.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
May 23rd, 2006 at 04:27pm
Hey, remember when last post I said "under God" is OUT bitches? Well I took it out today. The full boring story commences now.

I said the announcements this morning, doing the Pledge first. I didn't say "under God" for the simple reason that I never do, not believing in God and all. So I left a little space for everyone to say it, and continued with "indivisible." Then we did the announcements as scheduled. Immediately after we were done, people started calling the office and asking if I'd done it on purpose (I had). I got mad props from many friends and casual acquaintances. During second period, I was called down to Falzoi's office (the interim asst. principle and a buddy). He said, in essense, that he didn't really care, but how to say the pledge was not up to the school, but rather to the Supreme Court. So don't do that anymore, Sam. This I expected, and returned to goofing off in study hall.

The rest of the day was boring, besides giving blood to the Red Cross during Global. Then I did the afternoon announcements. Afterwards, the principal calls me into his office and gives me a BIG talking-to. He opened up with "Are you trying to get me fired?" I had to struggle not to smile because a) the hole thing seems rediculous and b)he's large and funny lookin'. He must have said "I need to beable to trust you" at least five times, brought up how teachers have been emailing him angrily all day and asking for me to get kicked out (I think just of announcements; out of school?). He brought up the board meeting tonight, and how that'll probably come up. And all this time I was smirking slightly. I don't really care if he likes what I say on the announcements. (Also he brought up a completely unrealted thing, a "censored" announcement that was a joke between us and Falzoi. He told me not to do that again too.) So in all, I don't get to say the Pledge over the announcements again; if I do, it must be in full.

Comments? Props? Hate mail? My standpoint is that America needs to loosen its overly tight sphincter. Peace out. Fight the Power.
Kitti
Kitti
May 23rd, 2006 at 04:39pm
dirtyhippie:
Hey, remember when last post I said "under God" is OUT bitches? Well I took it out today. The full boring story commences now.

I said the announcements this morning, doing the Pledge first. I didn't say "under God" for the simple reason that I never do, not believing in God and all. So I left a little space for everyone to say it, and continued with "indivisible." Then we did the announcements as scheduled. Immediately after we were done, people started calling the office and asking if I'd done it on purpose (I had). I got mad props from many friends and casual acquaintances. During second period, I was called down to Falzoi's office (the interim asst. principle and a buddy). He said, in essense, that he didn't really care, but how to say the pledge was not up to the school, but rather to the Supreme Court. So don't do that anymore, Sam. This I expected, and returned to goofing off in study hall.

The rest of the day was boring, besides giving blood to the Red Cross during Global. Then I did the afternoon announcements. Afterwards, the principal calls me into his office and gives me a BIG talking-to. He opened up with "Are you trying to get me fired?" I had to struggle not to smile because a) the hole thing seems rediculous and b)he's large and funny lookin'. He must have said "I need to beable to trust you" at least five times, brought up how teachers have been emailing him angrily all day and asking for me to get kicked out (I think just of announcements; out of school?). He brought up the board meeting tonight, and how that'll probably come up. And all this time I was smirking slightly. I don't really care if he likes what I say on the announcements. (Also he brought up a completely unrealted thing, a "censored" announcement that was a joke between us and Falzoi. He told me not to do that again too.) So in all, I don't get to say the Pledge over the announcements again; if I do, it must be in full.

Comments? Props? Hate mail? My standpoint is that America needs to loosen its overly tight sphincter. Peace out. Fight the Power.

HEY.
I almost fell out of my chair going WTF at the "censored" thing. lmfao
That sparked a very interesting debate in my band lesson.
I said the same things I always say.
Ciesla said why change it.
I thought, "isn't this the guy who always says really bizarre or obscene things during the pledge?"
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
May 23rd, 2006 at 06:46pm
Yeah, folks, I do say some...stuff...such as Sieg Heil! and Jawohl. Horrible, yes. But I find it fun to be incendiary.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 23rd, 2006 at 08:44pm
spill_no_sick:
Kitti:
dirtyhippie:
Yeah, Kitti gets pissed at religion and politics meshing...and people that are ignorant about it.

"Under God"? It bothers me.
It angers me that something so simple as checking facts for once is so difficult to people. "But it's been around so long" BULLSHIT! Fifty three years does not an immovable tradition make. Want to preserve something that's been around for a while, put it back the way it was. Easy.

But what makes me even more angry is that people don't take a strong position on one side or the other. It's an opinion! Decide, you can change your mind later! If we don't look at it from a firm standpoint, we can't progress toward actual definitive knowledge or accurate information.
no wonder you're against it......all the people for it are being retarded.....I hate when I have retards represent me, then my opinion looks bad

alright, I'm going to say this with research, with logic, and WITHOUT BIAS!!!!!

that's right, this isn't bias at all, and my argument isn't something like, "why tamper with tradition." No, what I will say will be something that benifits EVERYONE and without myself in mind.

So if you're only used to propaganda and you don't think you can withstand the shock, leave.

Anyway: I recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning because I feel allegiance to my country, and the flag is symbolic of that.

Now, I say, "under God", but there is this kid in my class who is from Africa. You know what he says? He says, "under Ala". How freakin' hard was that? No one said, "this is America, change your belief!!!" No one made the Pledge of Allegiance with hope of everyone changing belief...that would be retarded

All you have to do is substitute, "God", with whatever you believe in. Whether it be God, Ala, or "Me", substitute. And it's that easy. Holy crap there is no reason for this to be contraversial, except the fact that there are anti-religious athiests who are descrimitory against specifically Christians (hmmm, some parallel to Nazis?) and they make EVERYTHING a problem. Look, that isn't necesarry, if Christians say, "under God", athiests can say, "under Justice", or most I know would say, "under Me." And those who make this a problem give a bad name to athiesm anyway.

Honestly, some one tell me why this is such a problem without bringing your own religion (including athiesm), or personal benefits or anything that proves how irritating you can be when you're self-centered and think your political veiws are what will change the world BECAUSE I'M FUCKING SICK OF HEARING ABOUT YOU IT DOESN'T MATTER WE ARE PERFECTLY AWARE THAT YOU CAN MAKE POLITICAL DESICIONS THAT HAVE ONLY YOUR BENIFIT IN MIND BUT SORRY YOUR ROYAL FREAKING HIGHNESS THAT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!!!!!

I seriously think the only friction on this subject is the people who are self centered when they debate it. I said my argument, currently it works when I have six different religious groups in my class, so "God" isn't the only thing I hear first period. Please find something wrong with that, but don't tell me about "separation of Church and State" because no one is thrown in jail for this.
Clap great point . i just say 'under tre' hence my old name tre_cool_is_meh_god Cool or maybe i should start saying shavarsh or daron Cool
Kyna
Geek
Kyna
May 23rd, 2006 at 09:37pm
I don't like pledging myself to a piece of decorative cloth.
Kitti
Kitti
May 23rd, 2006 at 09:44pm
Kyna:

The flag is a symbol.
Not a just piece of cloth. A piece of cloth that stands for something else.

Here, a story--
In the middle ages, knights would carry a silk scarf or other bit of cloth from the lady they served as a standard into battle.
It was a representation of who and what they were fighting for.
A bit like a flag. That's how it was displayed, after all.

So you aren't pledging yourself to the cloth. You pledge yourself to what it means.
Kyna
Geek
Kyna
May 23rd, 2006 at 11:10pm
Kitti:
Kyna:

The flag is a symbol.
Not a just piece of cloth. A piece of cloth that stands for something else.

Here, a story--
In the middle ages, knights would carry a silk scarf or other bit of cloth from the lady they served as a standard into battle.
It was a representation of who and what they were fighting for.
A bit like a flag. That's how it was displayed, after all.

So you aren't pledging yourself to the cloth. You pledge yourself to what it means.

Doesn't that turn everyone into a soldier who pledges to the decorated cloth symbol?
Register