The Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Amanda
Basket Case
Amanda
April 4th, 2006 at 01:42am
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
you dont have to say it, you arent forced to.
My parents try.
Anyway, I don't believe in it.
I don't stand up, Put my hand on my heart, Or sing.
I refuse. Sorry.
Spirit Of '77
Falling In Love With The Board
Spirit Of '77
April 4th, 2006 at 12:59pm
you know, when the pledge of alligence was first written, it didn't have any of that "under god" bullshit in it. the government added it in before they let it become the country's pledge of alligence. fucked up, eh?
Escaped Mental Patient
Jackass
Escaped Mental Patient

Mibba
April 4th, 2006 at 04:50pm
I dont think it should be toke out because its just to words. I respect other religious beliefs. Most people accept it in there. If your not comforble in saying "Under God", then you don't have to say it. It's the tradition in having "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
April 4th, 2006 at 11:47pm
*LiL_ReBeL_AnGeL*:
I dont think it should be toke out because its just to words. I respect other religious beliefs. Most people accept it in there. If your not comforble in saying "Under God", then you don't have to say it. It's the tradition in having "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.

that's only the beginning of it...
whoa
King For A Couple Of Days
whoa
April 7th, 2006 at 07:52pm
If you are an atheist, why should you say 'under God'. I wouldn't. I barely even say the pledge as is because, to me, it's a waste of time. It's been like that for a long time, but people back then...were...so suffocating when it came to what they accepted and what they didn't. It's almost like religous persecution. Why the Puritians and Pilgrims came to the US in the first place. And then when they bacame a Union, what they did to the Native Americans. If you believe in Buddhism, then say one of your Gods there. Or Hinduism. Or whatever. I think that by now, society should have realized that people who don't stand for something shouldn't have to take part in it. Although, that could be a stretch...
Warning_iNSOMNIACiDIOT
Geek
Warning_iNSOMNIACiDIOT
April 8th, 2006 at 01:20pm
that`s a good question and it has been a hot topic. i don`t know when the pledge was first created, but i know when the founding fathers came to america, they were pretty much God believers. so, maybe the pledge was based on the founding fathers` beliefs or something.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 25th, 2006 at 08:50pm
if your christian you say god.
or if your any other religion, you say the name of your higher power
if your an aeithist (sp)....good question.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 26th, 2006 at 06:49pm
Bloodraine:
tre_cool_is_meh_god:
no, thats ridiculous. this country's started with almost everyone being christian

Only after those rabid, ignorant Christians kicked all the Native Americans off their land and destroyed their culture and way of life.

The country didn't start as Christian at all.

wtf?? i actually said that? Shocked

fuck that. *pretends to delete post* Shifty
State Radio
State Radio
April 26th, 2006 at 06:50pm
I don't mind doing it, it takes what, like, a minute?
Kitti
Kitti
April 26th, 2006 at 07:00pm
Valkyrie_Missile:
I don't mind doing it, it takes what, like, a minute?

Well, do you actually stop and think about what you're saying? What you're pledging your allegience to?
Because I hear it and think:
-allegience to a nation under a god. This is not a nation under one god. It is not a nation under all gods. It is a nation under no specific divinity whatsoever.
-the republic for which that flag a crumbling republic that citizens are too lazy to save by VOTING yet not so much as to not spend the subsequent years complaining about the result of aforementioned laziness.
-an "indivisble" country divided to the point that progress is an impossibility. Where we all want the same things and have different means to the same end, yet we cannot recognize or admit this fact.
-liberty and justice for all, where? Do we live in the same America here? Racism, sexism, homophobia...the list goes on. Where is the justice in that?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2006 at 05:36am
Bet You It's Nabisco!:

Its okay
Nobody can see that post now Cool
DirntyGirl101
Geek
DirntyGirl101
April 27th, 2006 at 03:40pm
i personally think that just because it was written so long ago it shouldnt be changed, when somethin that important is done it should not be changed, regardless of one line and stuff like that.
Yeah thats me...
Geek
Yeah thats me...

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2006 at 05:05pm
we talk during the pleagde we all dont care... my teacher is a younge guy so he really doesn't care either....
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 27th, 2006 at 08:00pm
Bloodraine:
Bet You It's Nabisco!:

Its okay
Nobody can see that post now Cool
fuck no Cool
rock_music_GD
Geek
rock_music_GD
April 28th, 2006 at 06:11am
What's this "Pledge Of Alliegence"? I don't understand. Is it like a national anthem? I'm from Australia and mine doesn't mention god at all . . .
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 28th, 2006 at 06:44am
rock_music_GD:
What's this "Pledge Of Alliegence"? I don't understand. Is it like a national anthem? I'm from Australia and mine doesn't mention god at all . . .

Nah, the US National Anthem is "The Star Spangled Banner" I think. Its basically an oath of sorts to the United States, and an allegiance to the flag.

My national anthem is God Save the Queen- pretty much a barrel o' laughs because I'm an atheist and I don't believe in the monarchy being beneficial really.
Kitti
Kitti
April 28th, 2006 at 07:09pm
I think it's very sad the the American members of this site think that one hundred years was "way back when." Only two or three generations. NOT THAT LONG.
Do you guys KNOW when or where our pledge of allegience was written? What the intentions were?
It was written by a guy from a small town in upstate New York. He wrote it for a children's magazine. It didn't contain the words "under God" anywhere in it. The American government adopted it, and threw that last religious bit in. It was a nationalist symbol during the Cold War.
It's not about pledging yourself to a stupid bit of cloth. It's about the American flag as a symbol, about standing by what it symbolizes. Loyalty to the powers that be, even if you don't like what they're doing.
Baguelle
Baguelle
April 28th, 2006 at 07:13pm
It should stay in. Why tamper with something so old now, when it's been around for so long? And besides, if you don't believe in God or find the pledge offensive, don't say the phrase. It's just that simple.
Kitti
Kitti
April 28th, 2006 at 07:37pm
Basket*Case:
It should stay in. Why tamper with something so old now, when it's been around for so long? And besides, if you don't believe in God or find the pledge offensive, don't say the phrase. It's just that simple.

It hasn't been around that long!
Baguelle
Baguelle
April 28th, 2006 at 07:38pm
Kitti:
Basket*Case:

It hasn't been around that long!
I know, but it's been around long enough that we should be used to it.
Register