Music Piracy

AuthorMessage
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
January 23rd, 2006 at 03:19pm
Incubus:
I have to admitt I love the album art, the odd time I buy an album its for the art.
I don't want to lose CDs completely I just think they should lower the price then there wouldn't be so much piracy.
I mean in this country its 20 euros for an album and 7 euros for a single...I've checked for money trees but as of yet haven't found any Think

they cant lower the price BECAUSE of piracy. read what i said. its a vicious circle.
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 23rd, 2006 at 03:29pm
Piracy started BECAUSE the prices were too high. If everyone bought the cd's then prices would stay high because they know everyone would pay for it =/

What about small groups? They need Digital distribution >_<
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
January 23rd, 2006 at 03:35pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Piracy started BECAUSE the prices were too high. If everyone bought the cd's then prices would stay high because they know everyone would pay for it =/

What about small groups? They need Digital distribution >_<

no. if everyone brought the cds they would become cheaper as they are now available cheaper and the stores would still make a profit. jackass.
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 23rd, 2006 at 03:40pm
Not really, albums still cost at least ten - fiveteen pounds which is pricey,with stores making a huge mark up.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2006 at 03:47pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Not really, albums still cost at least ten - fiveteen pounds which is pricey,with stores making a huge mark up.

We're not in 1970 anymore, son.

So what if my Dad used to buy his Vinyls for 15p?. Times have changed. The stores only have to increase prices because of piracy, to stop themsleves going under.
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 23rd, 2006 at 04:24pm
Awesome. A whole discussion on whether people should get paid for their work or not. Lets all just work for free, at least that will be fair.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
January 23rd, 2006 at 04:51pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Stated, Digital distribution is the future, we dont need retailers or labels.

You don't get it.
It's a matter of principle. It's an economic issue.
CDs mean jobs. They mean profit for the businesses selling them, for the hard-working people who mix the tracks, record the actual music. The artists who design the inlays. The people who ship them. All of the middle men. Do you realize how necessary that is for a healthy economy?
It isn't ABOUT paying the musicians. A musician with a label is in no need of money, I assure you.
To make everything available via the internet without ever having to speak to another human...that would be tragic. Humans need human contact, and every day we feed that need with casual contact in stores, in schools, seeing stragers on the street. That is what keeps us from being totally desensitized to war and fear and tragedy.
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
Jackass
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
January 23rd, 2006 at 05:03pm
.....Music Piracy........AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Fucking HATE IT......it is STEALING...

.....and it is DESTROYING the music industry......

so do these fucking mp3 players..........if things keep up this way
in a few years......album cover art......

....hell, even physical DISCS, tapes etc.......will be abolished
you mark my words.....

the whole industry will collapse........and we'll be stuck in a
........damn techno-era.....reminiscing about the time

when we could actually go and watch a real LIVE BAND.....

....and buying an album....involved actual contact between
fingers and vinyl......or plastic...

Syd F.
11th Street Kid
King For A Couple Of Days
11th Street Kid
January 23rd, 2006 at 05:06pm
Bloodraine:
PanicOfBeliever:
Black Rose Silver Moon:
PanicOfBeliever:
Read my article, artists dont NEED labels.

Confused Yes they do.
I don't wanna buy a CD with a gory picture and something like Stench of Death on it, and it to turn out to be something like Britney Spears...

If it were digital distribution you wouldnt need Cds =/ All music would be free anyhow, so no worries if you ever got the wrong thing (Unlikely)

But people like me enjoy owning the CD's.

I like seeing the artwork, I like reading the Lyrics...

I know what you mean. I love looking at the artwork... and .. just actually having the real thing.. makes me feel.. I don't know. Sorta special? I don't usually buy albums because of my lack of money.. but when I get one, I love it.. alot. Shifty Buying a pirate copy or burning it onto a disk just isn't the same.. like watching BIAB isn't the same as being there.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 23rd, 2006 at 05:22pm
If I've never heard an artist before, I'll generally ask somebody to burn it for me...I don't download off the Net because i'm a lazy sonofabitch.

Pretty much all my AC/DC comes from my friend Ian loaning me copies...now you can't tell me that AC/DC needs my business. I really try to stick to bands that are uber-successful. If it's someone like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones that aren't really mainstream (though gaining popularity!) I just buy the CD. Lagwagon, etc. Small-time punk bands. But Nirvana's a different story.
Tyler
Tyler
January 23rd, 2006 at 09:06pm

I admit to being a filesharer myself and not paying for a lot of my music, however, what I do own are CD's of lesser known bands. Would I have bought their CD if not for file sharing? Tis unlikely as the Small record label albums are hard to find expensive, and if not for the net I would not even of heard of them. I don't want to waste 15 pounds of my cash on a small label I mayor may not like, why should I waste my y money when I can try the album beforehand at home for nothing? Would YOU buy a record you'd never heard no, or even heard of their music?

I totally agree with you. File sharing is a good thing, all you retards who say that file sharing is killing the music industry, stfu.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
January 24th, 2006 at 06:06am
*shrugs*
hey, I'm not buying an entire CD for one or two songs. And besides, I believe in knowing before buying. I mean, I've downloaded heaps of Queen Adreena songs. And I liked them heaps, so I went and bought the CD to support them. I don't like ripping off artists, but I don't like wasting my money either.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
January 24th, 2006 at 12:09pm
you dont have to download things to hear a band. most websites have songs to download for free or a video to watch. and then about a zillion of them have myspace or are available on their label's website.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2006 at 12:52pm
Tyler:
I totally agree with you. File sharing is a good thing, all you retards who say that file sharing is killing the music industry, stfu.

You'd better back that opinion up with evidence, fast.

Also, Specific Discussion is a place where I enjoy debating things. That means we don't all have to agree with you. If we all 'stfu', we can't debate anything. Now, will you please refrain from calling us 'Retards'.

Our opinions are very valid, and you should (Try to) respect them.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 24th, 2006 at 01:08pm
Bloodraine:
Tyler:

You'd better back that opinion up with evidence, fast.

Also, Specific Discussion is a place where I enjoy debating things. That means we don't all have to agree with you. If we all 'stfu', we can't debate anything. Now, will you please refrain from calling us 'Retards'.

Our opinions are very valid, and you should (Try to) respect them.
"retard" and "stfu" don't generally fall under board etiquette. Even if it's been said before, a boring post is better than an insulting one.
davey jones.
Falling In Love With The Board
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2006 at 06:23pm
I HAD to write a paper about how I was a musician and that I think downloading music is a good thing. I think some of it I had to write about changed my opinions, but I don't wanna get into that. There's ALOT I learned at why music dowloading is a good thing, and some stuff I learned of why it is also a bad thing. I'm sort of neutral about the whole thing.
I think the record company is in trouble, not the music industry.

Read here to read what this man thinks about it. The front page will do.
Bexxual
Idiot
Bexxual
January 25th, 2006 at 06:36am
Tom you had this argument with me in school. I said basically what the other's said although I didn't go into the whole label going bust and stuff. I said it is better to have the cd's because I don't know I just prefer to have them because it shows the artist you admire that you appreciate their music when they see how high their sales have been. I'd also like to add, that in the future if you have bought the cd's you may have something of some worth if for example the artist is a band like I dunno The Beatles or The Sex Pistols. Their memorobilia is very high priced in auctions and such. However, I do admitt that yes I have downloaded music and sometimes still do. But Tom, either way you are going to be shut down in this argument, I would of thought you knew that. It is easy to say that those who say buying cd's is much better than piracy will win
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 25th, 2006 at 08:56am
i have to admit that i will wait until the CD is avaliable in the shops, i will not download anything unless it was the christmas single that was there to be downloaded but then you had to pay £1.50 for it anywaya and all the money went to charity.

George Micheal once said in an interview that he would prefer people to download his music and to hear it than not hear it, and the same is to be said about Good Charlotte,Because they said that when they heard they're music then people would go and see them live so it has a knock on effect. Some music you can only get if you download it anyway like music that was made many moons ago. Let me ask how many people out there download games and films from the internet? I was walking around a small market town one sunday and there was a stall that was selling pirated music, games, films and talking books and seeing the prices i cannot understand why some people will quibble over £1 and buy illegal copies because more times than not when you get the things home they dont work anyway.

However some people will say why do CD'S cost so much that is because they have to pay, staff, heating, shop shelving, transport and then they pay the artists. I know that it cost about 50p to make a CD and they are making a profit on it that is because they put all the work into it and they should gain from they're art!

I prefer to own a Cd because it gives you an onwership fealing and you can listen to the music as much has you want or need to. If you can't afford to buy a CD then save up.

And TYLER calling us all retards is both not preductive because we are all allowed an opinion, and morally wrong.
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 25th, 2006 at 12:52pm
Today I bought the Panic! At the Disco Cd, as I have meaning to for a while, them being a small label and all, but when I opened the lyrics sheet I had a terrible surprise.

The lyrics were wrong, the wrong words or verses cut out, which annoyed me very much so, when I knew I could get the correct lyrics online for no fee.

I still enjoyed the cd but they could at least get the lyrics right yeah?
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 25th, 2006 at 12:55pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Today I bought the Panic! At the Disco Cd, as I have meaning to for a while, them being a small label and all, but when I opened the lyrics sheet I had a terrible surprise.

The lyrics were wrong, the wrong words or verses cut out, which annoyed me very much so, when I knew I could get the correct lyrics online for no fee.

I still enjoyed the cd but they could at least get the lyrics right yeah?

at least you bought the CD
Register