Music Piracy

AuthorMessage
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 26th, 2006 at 11:21am
I wouldn't really complain about the price of CDs. I don't buy very CDs very often, but it's usually pretty reasonable.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 11:21am
Bloodraine:
tre_cool_is_god:
he said "the record companies should give up and lower the prices.......sueing people will only hurt them" i took that to mean that he was complaining about the price of CD's.

I don't think he meant it quite so drastically...and I'm guessing he may already know his idea is unrealistic.

perhaps he'll come back and tell us what he was saying because i am now confused which doesnt take a lot. Embarassed
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 11:22am
i want to know why green day "shananghans cost £17 and american idiot cost £9.99? There does seem to be a high differance between each cd.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 26th, 2006 at 11:34am
I've a theory...

They had high hopes for Shenanigans, but it flopped. Big time. (Even though it was a kickass CD in my opinion.) So they were more conservative in their pricing--or the label was anyway--for the new album.

It could also be because they were exploring semi-new territory not seem since around the time of "Tommy" and "The Wall" (rock opera) and didn't want to put a big price on a CD that could go anywhere on the charts.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 11:39am
dirtyhippie:
I've a theory...

They had high hopes for Shenanigans, but it flopped. Big time. (Even though it was a kickass CD in my opinion.) So they were more conservative in their pricing--or the label was anyway--for the new album.

It could also be because they were exploring semi-new territory not seem since around the time of "Tommy" and "The Wall" (rock opera) and didn't want to put a big price on a CD that could go anywhere on the charts.

please please please dont put shananighans in the same group has "the wall" dont get me wrong i LOVED the shanagains CD but "the wall" is the best cd ever made and it will take somthing really specail to beat it. But that is just my opinion.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
January 26th, 2006 at 12:33pm
dirtyhippie:
I wouldn't really complain about the price of CDs. I don't buy very CDs very often, but it's usually pretty reasonable.

I agree, in some shops anyway. Though some stores make old albums go up to double the original price. -.-'
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 12:37pm
*Blue Star*-I Can Eat You:
dirtyhippie:

I agree, in some shops anyway. Though some stores make old albums go up to double the original price. -.-'

yeah like the led zepplin cd's they have doubled! What is it with that? I will go out of my way and pay extra for a CD if it is a special edition and in fact i have been known to buy two of the same cd's one limited edition and one normal.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 26th, 2006 at 06:50pm
tre_cool_is_god:
dirtyhippie:
I've a theory...

please please please dont put shananighans in the same group has "the wall" dont get me wrong i LOVED the shanagains CD but "the wall" is the best cd ever made and it will take somthing really specail to beat it. But that is just my opinion.

Well yeah! "The Wall" was Pink Floyd at its best. I was just lumping the two together in the category of rock opera.
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
January 27th, 2006 at 01:59am
tre_cool_is_god:
Bloodraine:
tre_cool_is_god:
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Bloodraine:
In any case, I myself use a file-sharing program when I need to...But I much prefer owning the CD's myself. Only when a shortage of cash comes into play do I resort to using the program.
Same here. Real CD's are better, but damn they are expensive.

The record companies should give up and lower the prices, sueing people will only hurt them...

Armor For Sleep said in an interview that they wouldn't be as big as they are today if it wasn't for file sharing. Alot of bands support it, and the record companies still get their money... it's not like they have to est only chicken noodles for two months becuase of the downloading.
So, I believe that the big record companies are just being childish.

they cant lower the prices, like i said before they have to cover all sorts of expenses like, transportation, shop wages, shelving space, managers, as it is they only get about £1 per CD if we make it any lower then they will not be able to make the music that they enjoy making. And if they stopped that would be a shame to every one.

He didn't say that...You're misenterpreting

Oh, and 'Chicken Noodles', Gustav? Cool

he said "the record companies should give up and lower the prices.......sueing people will only hurt them" i took that to mean that he was complaining about the price of CD's.
Oh, they can lower the prices, it's not like everything would fall apart. Do you know how much money they make? It's not like production and shipping really costs them 25 bucks. O_O They do mass shipping... which makes it such a good deal.

I think that the money should come from live shows. Period.
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
January 27th, 2006 at 02:02am
Bloodraine:
tre_cool_is_god:

I don't think he meant it quite so drastically...and I'm guessing he may already know his idea is unrealistic.
I know that it's unrealistic, but it's not impossible...o_o There are really cheap labels and stores.

I'm sorry if I stepped on any toes, but record companies are selfish bastards digging for gold... it's not like they care for the music.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 27th, 2006 at 08:07am
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Bloodraine:
tre_cool_is_god:

I know that it's unrealistic, but it's not impossible...o_o There are really cheap labels and stores.

I'm sorry if I stepped on any toes, but record companies are selfish bastards digging for gold... it's not like they care for the music.

Yesyesyes...idealists of the world UNITE!! Rock on.
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
Jackass
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
January 27th, 2006 at 01:56pm
Respectable musicians do not CARE about music piracy.
Many bands actually supported the OLD Napster before it became legal.

If a band is making music for the right reasons, i.e. freedom of expression, to convey views and messages, for ther own personal enjoyment and emotional release they would not care about the fame and the money.

Words cannot express how much I DESPISE people who want to become famous in the music business simply to be famous. I DETEST Pop Idol and programmes of this sort. I HATE manufactured "fame" strictly controlled by the media. It is utterly pathetic.

I support music piracy because I KNOW the bands that I like actually support it. They simply want their music to reach and affect as many people as possible and couldn't give a fuck about the money.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 27th, 2006 at 02:47pm
Spiral Out..Keep Going..:

If a band is making music for the right reasons, i.e. freedom of expression, to convey views and messages, for ther own personal enjoyment and emotional release they would not care about the fame and the money.

Words cannot express how much I DESPISE people who want to become famous in the music business simply to be famous. I DETEST Pop Idol and programmes of this sort. I HATE manufactured "fame" strictly controlled by the media. It is utterly pathetic.

I support music piracy because I KNOW the bands that I like actually support it. They simply want their music to reach and affect as many people as possible and couldn't give a fuck about the money.

the thing is with pop idol is is that it is shit and the same goes for american idol.
fender
Geek
fender
January 27th, 2006 at 03:43pm
not every one can just go out on the spur of the moment and buy a load of CDs i know its not apriciating the band because your not supporting them by buying it but should people be derprived of music because they dont have enough monyey to buy it? and dont arugue back with the radio, because how often do they play rock music? LIKE NEVER (exept for tuesday evenings-all rock 9-11 on radio 1) and they would have done it before any way! and like some else said earlier, if they are true musicians with true motives. i.e to express themselves through music then they wont care! fame and fortune is not every thing i mean imagine green day for a sec...put your self in say Billie's position, what would make you happier:
A: shit loads of money and nothing to do with it or
B: standing in front of 65,000 people who are all your fans singing all your songs imagine the adrenilin!!!!!!

i think we all know what we'd prefer!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 27th, 2006 at 03:45pm
fender:
not every one can just go out on the spur of the moment and buy a load of CDs i know its not apriciating the band because your not supporting them by buying it but should people be derprived of music because they dont have enough monyey to buy it? and dont arugue back with the radio, because how often do they play rock music? LIKE NEVER (exept for tuesday evenings-all rock 9-11 on radio 1)

Music Channels?

And anyway, with the Radio situation, it depends on how hard you look. Wink
fender
Geek
fender
January 27th, 2006 at 03:54pm
Bloodraine:
fender:
not every one can just go out on the spur of the moment and buy a load of CDs i know its not apriciating the band because your not supporting them by buying it but should people be derprived of music because they dont have enough monyey to buy it? and dont arugue back with the radio, because how often do they play rock music? LIKE NEVER (exept for tuesday evenings-all rock 9-11 on radio 1)

Music Channels?

you cant get sky where i live coz its to far in the middle of no where so i only have two music channels- both utter shit and as for radio i dont have didgital so i cant get kerrang and dude there is fuck all else...but fair play
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
Jackass
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
January 27th, 2006 at 04:00pm
tre_cool_is_god:
Spiral Out..Keep Going..:

the thing is with pop idol is is that it is shit and the same goes for american idol.

I feel sorry for the people who apply to those programmes who cannot see how pathetic they come across.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 27th, 2006 at 05:22pm
fender:
Bloodraine:
fender:

Music Channels?

you cant get sky where i live coz its to far in the middle of no where so i only have two music channels- both utter shit and as for radio i dont have didgital so i cant get kerrang and dude there is fuck all else...but fair play

what about cable?
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 27th, 2006 at 08:52pm
I do pity Brits for their music radio. But then, they also get BBC Radio 7, possible the best channel ever to exist. So it's a fair trade.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 27th, 2006 at 08:54pm
dirtyhippie:
I do pity Brits for their music radio. But then, they also get BBC Radio 7, possible the best channel ever to exist. So it's a fair trade.

some of us brits can get cable radio and that airs kerrang!!
Register