Music Piracy

AuthorMessage
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
October 30th, 2006 at 03:13pm
Kincaide.:
Well, I discover a load of new bands throught the net, and it's not always possible to find their album in stores.

So I then download songs.

But when I know it's possible to find the CD [mainstream band], I'll save a little and buy the CD.

Faith

same.
and most of the time a lot of the bands i like are unknown so the cd does only cost $5
OR newbury has them on sale (i always make my mommy take me the day or within the week it comes out)they always have new releases wicked cheap (lmfao thats their solgan XD)
The Duck's Nuts
Falling In Love With The Board
The Duck's Nuts
October 30th, 2006 at 10:52pm
I guess it depends on the band and whether they're ok with people downloading their music for free or not.

I generally don't download music, i only download it if it's a rare or live song that i cannot find on CD, or if it's some forgein not well known band in which case their CDs aren't sold here.
X..3mzapoo..X
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
X..3mzapoo..X
October 31st, 2006 at 11:43am
what about paying to download? im confused ???
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 31st, 2006 at 11:49am
random_3lmo:
what about paying to download? im confused ???
That's not illegal, but some people are just lazy and can't be arsed.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 31st, 2006 at 11:56am
Everybody does it; it's just that nobody talks about it. (Creul Intentions reference.)
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
November 12th, 2006 at 08:55am
Think Since almost everyone with a internet connection does it, and there's no contra for the one who downloads except the fear of getting caught [but hey 1] and the moral stuff, there should be a kind of taxes, like when you own a computer and an internet connection or something. Like for a TV.
So it could be illegal, and the artist with the most downloads gets the most money kinda thing... something. o_O
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 12th, 2006 at 10:27am
Anji:
Everybody does it; it's just that nobody talks about it. (Creul Intentions reference.)
I admit I do it. I downloaded Dookie, 1039 sosh and Kerplunk. Yes I know its considered stealing and I didnt do it because I couldnt find those albums, I did it because it was cheaper for me to download them. Do I think that Green Day would have a problem with that? They probably would, everyone whats to get payed for their work. But I dont think me getting their album for free will take much of their royalties. Besides a lot of bands put their songs for free music download.
DudeO
King For A Couple Of Days
DudeO

Mibba
November 12th, 2006 at 01:04pm
Music piracy is good and bad, I dont think this needs a seperate, but look at this. What do you gather from this?hese needs a seperate topic, ask me. But I think it fits here.

http://www.guitarmasta.net/letter.php
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
November 12th, 2006 at 01:22pm
here in romania no one ever buys cds.
they just download from networks and then sell the pirated cds at a high price.

i find this unfair to the copyrights
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 13th, 2006 at 09:14am
Micro Sheep.:
here in romania no one ever buys cds.
they just download from networks and then sell the pirated cds at a high price.

i find this unfair to the copyrights
They do the same thing here, just the pirate CDs are really cheap.
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
November 14th, 2006 at 02:29pm
I think its unright, but I still do it. We're in a generation where everythign is practically handed to us on a silver platter. The internet makes everything so much easier that its bound to happen. Music companies can put stickers on their CDs and threaten to sue people, but one way or another, Piracy is still going to happen.

What I do is, I'll download a few songs by them and if I find I like them a lot, I'll buy their CDs. Eventually I get around to buying CDs. Becasue at the rate music downloading is going, CDs are going nonexistant. We've already begun that step. MP3 players, iPods...etc
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
November 14th, 2006 at 03:47pm
I'll still buy CDs. I love the art and the thankyous and stuff like that. I'd buy CDs just because if I could download it off a computer or something, I'd buy so many, I'd be broke in 5 minutes. At least walking to the shop and buying one or two helps my self control.
clark
GSBitch
clark
November 14th, 2006 at 05:20pm
The only reason I download music is because I can't find the CD anywhere in my city.
I feel bad about downloading though, I feel it is like stealing the CD from a store.
But yeah, when I eventually find and buy the CD, I'll copy it to my computer ('cause I play crap on iTunes most of the time) and delete the downloaded files.

But if it's like, a song that isn't on any CD, and you can only find online, such as a live recording or demo or whatever, I don't see that as a problem.

I love actually owning the CD though. I don't know why, I just love the artwork, and something about being able to read the lyrics from the book instead of online makes me happy. tehe

But then again, there's the arguement of bands not being as big as they are if it weren't for downloading. Uh, Arctic Monkeys, I think, put their album up for download, which got a lot of people buying the album when it was officially released.
...That's right, right?

But yeah, I guess downloading is okay in some cases, but actual piracy is just...not.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
November 18th, 2006 at 08:21am
The record industry needs to realise why piracy takes place, its because theres too much crap music their releasing and not enough good music. So of course people are gunna find it difficult to find music they actually like and will have to resort to downloading it.
It's simple economics, they need to increase demand for people to actually pay for music by giving a better quality product to the consumers and by reducing prices.
Cd's are just too expensive, with very low costs of production they must be marking up the selling price by a few 100%. Meaning that people are willing to take the risk of downloading it free and illegal, rather than paying £10 for something they may not even like.
Downloading music also enables to people to see whether they do like a band and want to buy their album. I mean i do download occassionaly, but i buy a lot of CD's so i think i give more to the industry than i take from them.
I think personally, that musicians should be in favour of piracy. They should be happy that their music is able to be listened to by as many people as possible, and it just makes me annoyed when insanely rich people, like Metallica, take their own FANS to court for wanting to listen to their music. How tight-fisted do you need to be...
wish_i_was_adie
Jackass
wish_i_was_adie

Mibba
November 18th, 2006 at 11:46am
I download music once in a while, however, I do it so I can sample some of the songs or get rare recordings you can't buy. Lately, a lot of bands tend to make a few good songs that are meant to be singles (and that they'll make their money off of) and the rest of the album is just filler. Even after downloading a few songs off an album, if I like it, I'm going to buy a CD. For me, downloading is more of an opportunity to sample before buying. CDs aren't cheap. I want to know what I'm getting before spending the money.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
November 18th, 2006 at 05:43pm
Yeah, that's because well, usually the record company chooses the song's that will be singles, but some bands get the rights to decide what songs they want as singles. The problem with this is they then tend to write songs that will sell to the public, like, say 3 or 4 or those, that will be singles, and then the rest they don't really try all that hard, as you said, they're filler.

But I've come across albums that every song is so good and every song just screams single, and I want them to release every song on the album as a single xD

So yeah, not all bands do it, but bands that fight for their right to choose the singles tend to start doing that.
spaz_mango
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
spaz_mango
November 19th, 2006 at 08:08am
These artists work so hard and as fans the least we could do is buy their album, seriously, its showing your support. Did you download your green day songs? Dont think so. You cant compare. Plus i love those little booklet things that come with it.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 19th, 2006 at 04:44pm
spaz_mango:
These artists work so hard and as fans the least we could do is buy their album, seriously, its showing your support. Did you download your green day songs? Dont think so. You cant compare. Plus i love those little booklet things that come with it.
I downloaded Dookie, 1039 sosh and Kerplunk!
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
November 19th, 2006 at 04:53pm
spaz_mango:

no. but i've downloaded from every other band i listen to.
Sylar
Sylar
November 19th, 2006 at 08:34pm
In relation to the argument of "The artists are losing money because of it", they wouldn't even notice the tiny amount they lost through downloading. They don't get the money from cd sales- they get a lump sum from the record company and then get added amounts from ticket sales.
All in all, music piracy: Not bad.
Also- to whomever asked if I downloaded Green Day's stuff- I downloaded American Idiot to see if it was worth buying (all their other cds have been gifts over the years). I'll always download an album first, then if it's worth it, I will buy it.
Register