Music Piracy

AuthorMessage
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
Jackass
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
February 5th, 2006 at 03:18pm
the madcap laughs:
I'm against music piracy, of all kinds.

If you truly are a fan of the band, surely you'll at least show your support and not steal the music from them

If a band truly represent what music is supposed to be about then surely they won't mind how you come to listen to their music.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 5th, 2006 at 03:35pm
Spiral Out..Keep Going..:
the madcap laughs:

If you truly are a fan of the band, surely you'll at least show your support and not steal the music from them

If a band truly represent what music is supposed to be about then surely they won't mind how you come to listen to their music.

If you truly love their music, you'll do them the courtesy to credit them and buy their CD. It isn't just the money. Success is measured in CD sales.
the17th-minority
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
the17th-minority
February 5th, 2006 at 04:52pm
I really don't know. I like to support bands that I like but...I try out alot of new bands by downloading illegally. Nothing wrong with it, and they eventually get the money from CD's.
TDM_Sandra
Geek
TDM_Sandra
February 8th, 2006 at 01:25pm
i think it's good to listen to some new bands before buying their stuff or go to a concert... well i dun download stuff cause i live in germany and its really insecure here... i think in the us are different laws...
anyways, i support the bands i like and buy their stuff...
the madcap laughs
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
the madcap laughs
February 9th, 2006 at 04:46am
Bloodraine:
Spiral Out..Keep Going..:
the madcap laughs:

If you truly love their music, you'll do them the courtesy to credit them and buy their CD. It isn't just the money. Success is measured in CD sales.

EXACTLY. It's showing ALLEGIANCE.

It's like football. Premier league teams make millions from the sales of replica strips and merchandise etc...really, a HELL of a lot more than they make from ticket sales. So you could say they don't really need to sell tickets to their matches, what does it matter if all the fans just watch the game on TV instead??? They'd still make more than enough money...but if nobody came to the match...what happens to the team's morale?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2006 at 11:14am
the madcap laughs:

It's like football. Premier league teams make millions from the sales of replica strips and merchandise etc...really, a HELL of a lot more than they make from ticket sales. So you could say they don't really need to sell tickets to their matches, what does it matter if all the fans just watch the game on TV instead??? They'd still make more than enough money...but if nobody came to the match...what happens to the team's morale?

On the Football count; you're wrong.

Sky is the #1 reason for the decline in attendances. If you don't have people coming through the gates, you don't have money coming into the clubs; merchandise only creates a small profit. They really do need to sell tickets. If they don't have a good number coming through the gates, nothing can make up for this.

But I know what you were trying to say, so you're right with the rest of it.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
February 9th, 2006 at 11:43am
Bloodraine:
the madcap laughs:

Sky is the #1 reason for the decline in attendances. If you don't have people coming through the gates, you don't have money coming into the clubs; merchandise only creates a small profit. They really do need to sell tickets. If they don't have a good number coming through the gates, nothing can make up for this.

people should only buy cd's because i think that it shows a sign of respect for the artists work and trouble they have put into it.

But also on the internet there are places that you can download music for a cost and part of that goes to the artists aswell, but we did it once and the sound quality was crap so we complained.
suzie_k
Falling In Love With The Board
suzie_k
February 9th, 2006 at 11:55am
See with me the artwork in the sleeve of the Cd is an extension of the music.
I like to go into Tower or HMV and look at the art work.
If it looks good I'll buy it!
I like actually owning the Cd.
I used to hate MP3 players too but now I have so many Cd's I can't carry them all around with me.
But I still don't download.
And now the Irish music people are finding people who download music and fineing them!
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 9th, 2006 at 12:01pm
suzie_k:
I used to hate MP3 players too but now I have so many Cd's I can't carry them all around with me.
And now the Irish music people are finding people who download music and fineing them!

yeah likewise i like to own the art work and it gives me a fealing of erm..i cvant explain it, it makes me feal good that i went out and bought it.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 9th, 2006 at 12:06pm
tre_cool_is_god:
suzie_k:

yeah likewise i like to own the art work and it gives me a fealing of erm..i cvant explain it, it makes me feal good that i went out and bought it.

for me its like you own a part of the music or something. i dunno
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 9th, 2006 at 12:12pm
suzie_k:
tre_cool_is_god:
suzie_k:

for me its like you own a part of the music or something. i dunno

yeah thats what i was trying to say
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
February 9th, 2006 at 02:56pm
Bloodraine:
the madcap laughs:

Wrong I'm afraid, the clubs are paid for having their match broadcasted on television, so it more than covers whats may be lost in ticket sales.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2006 at 03:28pm
PanicOfBeliever:

Wrong I'm afraid, the clubs are paid for having their match broadcasted on television, so it more than covers whats may be lost in ticket sales.

Oh, if only...

The sad fact of the matter is; when you're a supporter of a small club like mine, Sky viewers don't want to pay to watch the likes of us. We are not the ideal entertainment for an armchair fan. 'Big Clubs' have far more televised matches than the likes of us, so therefore gain more profit from Sky. Vicious Circle.

Believe me, if the fixed pot of money Sky inputs into clubs were enough to suffice, I'd be less worried about the future of my club. The Manchester Uniteds and Arsenals of the world will always have a strong core of support, but town teams like mine have been declining in attendance for around five years now, and the decline in attendances puts strain on the finaces of the club. If we don't have fans coming through the gate, we will sink deeper into debt. Sky money is nearly all used up in funding player's wages and future transfers, leaving a hole in the accounts caused by vacant seats.

See, you don't have to be afraid of me being wrong. It's okay, I'm not. You must understand, this is something of a 'field of expertise' of mine. Wink
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
February 9th, 2006 at 03:37pm
Sky pay a fee to the club for it to be viewed, like a fee a musician gets when their song is played etc. It doesnt matter if its payperview or not.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2006 at 03:40pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Sky pay a fee to the club for it to be viewed, like a fee a musician gets when their song is played etc. It doesnt matter if its payperview or not.

Indeed they do. It was referred to in my post as; 'the fixed pot of money Sky inputs into clubs'. ie. there is a set amount, which increases with extra televised games. Which isn't a benefit for 'unnatractive' teams and their 'unnatractive' fixtures. But this is really another subject for another topic.
Ilse
Ilse
February 9th, 2006 at 07:13pm
Hey, our internet services give us the ability to dowload it.

We're just smart shoppers.
I'm just so sick of hearing about millionare artists whining about how their latest single was downloaded for free. There are worst things in the world than your loss of more cash flow.

But, I guess I'm a hypocrite, I buy CD's, but that's because I don't own an Mp3 player. But if I did have one, you can bet your ass I'd download music illegaly.
billiejoe_is_my_punkGOD
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
billiejoe_is_my_punkGOD
February 9th, 2006 at 08:15pm
hahahahahahaha
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
February 10th, 2006 at 05:45am
Bloodraine:
PanicOfBeliever:
The link above is an article written by Me. Therefore my views.

You would do well to credit yourself in future...

Or would it kill you to re-post it here?

In any case, I myself use a file-sharing program when I need to...But I much prefer owning the CD's myself. Only when a shortage of cash comes into play do I resort to using the program.
the madcap laughs
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
the madcap laughs
February 10th, 2006 at 06:55am
Bloodraine:
the madcap laughs:

OK, bad example

But regardless...you get the point that I was making about loyalty, and how it's not just the money. The actual logistics of the situation are pretty irrelevent to the point.
keasbey
keasbey
February 10th, 2006 at 11:04am
I download alot of stuff illegally. But, I only do that when I like one song on a CD, so I don't have to spend 20 bucks on a CD for 1 song. And also, I buy the Cd, if I download a few songs, and like it. Because you DO need to give the artist credit. If everyone was downloading Green Day songs, and never bought te Cd, the wouldn't have triple platinum records. They judge by how many records are sold, not how many songs we download illegally. So, I guess I have mixed feelings.
Register