Music Piracy

AuthorMessage
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 25th, 2006 at 01:03pm
Aha, I just picked up my copy of Pc plus and found a very interesting article.
In Frane they are pushing to BAN people ripping cds to their computer and BAN them from backing up their personal DVDS, out of fear of piracy.

The article then goes on to prove that Piracy helps in the industry making music more popular. For example they tried to ban keyboards that kep the notes fearing sheet music sales woukd drop, in fact they skyrocketed.
Next they tried to ban radio fearing it would destroy live music, it has helped it.
It lists more thing in the article, but the message is clear. Downloading music in another of these things. Like Napster doubled albumsales when it first came out, downloading now will do the same.

The french government has caved in to Big company pressure, who fear dwindling profits, those like sony who infect your system with a rootkit in order to stop us doig something we have a right to do.
Their insercurities are misplaced, and ignorant.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
January 25th, 2006 at 02:10pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Aha, I just picked up my copy of Pc plus and found a very interesting article.
In Frane they are pushing to BAN people ripping cds to their computer and BAN them from backing up their personal DVDS, out of fear of piracy.

The article then goes on to prove that Piracy helps in the industry making music more popular. For example they tried to ban keyboards that kep the notes fearing sheet music sales woukd drop, in fact they skyrocketed.
Next they tried to ban radio fearing it would destroy live music, it has helped it.
It lists more thing in the article, but the message is clear. Downloading music in another of these things. Like Napster doubled albumsales when it first came out, downloading now will do the same.

The french government has caved in to Big company pressure, who fear dwindling profits, those like sony who infect your system with a rootkit in order to stop us doig something we have a right to do.
Their insercurities are misplaced, and ignorant.

We don't have a right to steal peoples work! Many Many hours go into making a CD and a film who gives us the right to steal it?
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 25th, 2006 at 02:18pm
Stealing? Its not stealing. If you read MY article its used as something to preview the work, to see if it worth buying.

The Pc magazine article doesnt show any stealing either.

Piracy will result in an increase in sales, you you follow the logic, and the pattern. Not stealing.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
January 25th, 2006 at 02:20pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Stealing? Its not stealing. If you read MY article its used as something to preview the work, to see if it worth buying.

Piracy will result in an increase in sales, you you follow the logic, and the pattern. Not stealing.

No offense, but you're a teenage kid. Excuse us for this, but we hardly consider your opinion in that article as valid "expert" testimony.
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 25th, 2006 at 02:22pm
Follow the writing of professional writers then. Like the ones who wrote an article in the Pc Plus magazine.
Kitti
Kitti
January 25th, 2006 at 02:33pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Follow the writing of professional writers then. Like the ones who wrote an article in the Pc Plus magazine.

Look. Some people are honest. Some people are not. People download music for a LOT of different reasons. It has some pretty major downsides and some pretty major ups. People who do illegal things with...shall we say, unsavory motives, should not be allowed to have computers. But the fact is, the people selling computers are not telepathic.
Two things are certain though.
1) People are going to continue to download music.
2) There's not much anyone can actually do about it.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 25th, 2006 at 02:43pm
do you think if you buy a CD and you would like to keep it in prestine condition should you be able to copy it and only have it for your own use?
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 25th, 2006 at 02:45pm
PanicOfBeliever:

let me ask you if you downloaded a CD, Film or some such and you liked it loads would you go out of your way to buy the CD? If you would then i will take my hat of to you but there are many people out there who will say "why should i go and buy a copy when i already have it"?
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 25th, 2006 at 02:47pm
tre_cool_is_god:
do you think if you buy a CD and you would like to keep it in prestine condition should you be able to copy it and only have it for your own use?

Of course

And Yeah I like them Ill go buy the album, its not worth risking disliking the album if it costs that much. And I downloaded and didnt like it? Ive saved myself money on an album I wouldnt have bought anyway.

Im careful with my money and filesharing has allowed me to spend it well. Filesharing has more than doubled the amount of albums I buy.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 25th, 2006 at 02:50pm
PanicOfBeliever:
Of course.

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

not many people would though!!
Kitti
Kitti
January 25th, 2006 at 02:52pm
tre_cool_is_god:
PanicOfBeliever:
Of course.

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

not many people would though!!

I disagree. If you asked tons of strangers on the street, I'm betting that loads of them would say yes to that.
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
Jackass
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
January 25th, 2006 at 02:58pm
....as a Musician myself....

I have an absolute.....loathing of those...who copy CD's

.....so much so.......I wouldn't even let my own cousin do it.....I'd rather
he learn respect for the artists he loves.....and show it....
...by buying the albums himself.....not making ILLEGAL copies of mine...

.......I have loaned a copy from a friend......once....as my OWN copy
of said album.......was worn out....unplayable....
......and I temporarily had not the CASH to replace it.....

......................ISOLATED INCIDENT
in eXTREME cIRCUMSTANCES......

......I do NOT condone it in ANY way

Syd F.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
January 25th, 2006 at 04:08pm
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker:
....as a Musician myself....

I have an absolute.....loathing of those...who copy CD's

.....so much so.......I wouldn't even let my own cousin do it.....I'd rather
he learn respect for the artists he loves.....and show it....
...by buying the albums himself
.....not making ILLEGAL copies of mine...

.......I have loaned a copy from a friend......once....as my OWN copy
of said album.......was worn out....unplayable....
......and I temporarily had not the CASH to replace it.....

......................ISOLATED INCIDENT
in eXTREME cIRCUMSTANCES......

......I do NOT condone it in ANY way

Syd F.

I don't see how wasting a shit load of money and a CD shows respect for an artist, I would have thought listening to them and liking their music does.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 25th, 2006 at 05:44pm
As a musician, I'd rather people listened to my stuff off the Internet and liked it than to have a lot of people but the CD and dislike it. At one time I might've been suckered into buying a "Juanes" CD since he seems like a cool punk Latino from thep ictures on his site...but he's really a whiny wannabe-emo rocker.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
January 26th, 2006 at 01:17am
auh-buh-cuh-s:
you dont have to download things to hear a band. most websites have songs to download for free or a video to watch. and then about a zillion of them have myspace or are available on their label's website.
I don't see how that matters. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't like it, I delete it. Either way, the artists don't lose.
Buuuuuut, that's just how me, myself, do it...
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
January 26th, 2006 at 08:06am
Bloodraine:
In any case, I myself use a file-sharing program when I need to...But I much prefer owning the CD's myself. Only when a shortage of cash comes into play do I resort to using the program.
Same here. Real CD's are better, but damn they are expensive.

The record companies should give up and lower the prices, sueing people will only hurt them...

Armor For Sleep said in an interview that they wouldn't be as big as they are today if it wasn't for file sharing. Alot of bands support it, and the record companies still get their money... it's not like they have to est only chicken noodles for two months becuase of the downloading.
So, I believe that the big record companies are just being childish.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 08:45am
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Bloodraine:
In any case, I myself use a file-sharing program when I need to...But I much prefer owning the CD's myself. Only when a shortage of cash comes into play do I resort to using the program.

The record companies should give up and lower the prices, sueing people will only hurt them...

Armor For Sleep said in an interview that they wouldn't be as big as they are today if it wasn't for file sharing. Alot of bands support it, and the record companies still get their money... it's not like they have to est only chicken noodles for two months becuase of the downloading.

they cant lower the prices, like i said before they have to cover all sorts of expenses like, transportation, shop wages, shelving space, managers, as it is they only get about £1 per CD if we make it any lower then they will not be able to make the music that they enjoy making. And if they stopped that would be a shame to every one.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 26th, 2006 at 11:10am
tre_cool_is_god:
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Bloodraine:

they cant lower the prices, like i said before they have to cover all sorts of expenses like, transportation, shop wages, shelving space, managers, as it is they only get about £1 per CD if we make it any lower then they will not be able to make the music that they enjoy making. And if they stopped that would be a shame to every one.

He didn't say that...You're misenterpreting

Oh, and 'Chicken Noodles', Gustav? Cool
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 26th, 2006 at 11:13am
Bloodraine:
tre_cool_is_god:
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Bloodraine:

He didn't say that...You're misenterpreting

Oh, and 'Chicken Noodles', Gustav? Cool

he said "the record companies should give up and lower the prices.......sueing people will only hurt them" i took that to mean that he was complaining about the price of CD's.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 26th, 2006 at 11:15am
tre_cool_is_god:
he said "the record companies should give up and lower the prices.......sueing people will only hurt them" i took that to mean that he was complaining about the price of CD's.

I don't think he meant it quite so drastically...and I'm guessing he may already know his idea is unrealistic.
Register