Music Piracy

AuthorMessage
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
May 7th, 2006 at 07:16pm
I always like to own the CD, but sometimes I can't get it in my area or don't have the money at the time and I usually do end up buying the CD.

However, some songs you get online you can't get on CD. They're live versions or just songs by obscure artists that are difficult to find.
blood
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
blood
May 10th, 2006 at 04:01pm
greendayjunkie:
plus i like having an owning the CD.

I love collecting the cases! Kinda weird I spose.

Anyway, the artist's gone to the trouble to record it and what not, and deaserve at least a little something for it. If everyone did this, then artists wouldn't bother making music. Then where would we be?
Addison Montgomery.
Falling In Love With The Board
Addison Montgomery.

Mibba Blog
June 5th, 2006 at 12:59pm
Incubus:
Music Piracy has been going on for years, when my parents were young they taped songs off the radio and now a days we download music and burn CDs and in ten or twenty years there'll probably be a more advanced way of doing it.
Its illeagle but loads of people do it and why not? When you buy CDs you're giving money to large profit making companies and artists with tonns of money, why shouldn't someone who is a bit straped for cash burn a few CDs
Quite right
Matty.
Matty.
June 6th, 2006 at 08:04am
its bad, but eberyone does it
White Riot
White Riot
July 28th, 2006 at 12:00pm
I am completely for free music and filesharing programs.
If you tell me you've never downloaded at least one song without paying for it, you'rr a damn liar.
Not all songs are available on CDs or whatever, and are rare, and sometimes the only way you can find them is by internet. (doesn't always mean they're free though...)
But anyway, I honestly don't think you're hurting anyone by getting music for free. If a band wants to complain on how people are "stealing" their music by illegal downloading, then its quite obvious they aren't in the buisness for the right reasons. They just want to make money.
I understand some musicians don't have money to put food on the table, so they sell albums--but face it. You're a normal human being. Go out and get a job. Its not gonna hurt you.
But,like most debates, they all are a bit hypocritical. It could go the same way, "Go out and get a job,its not gonna hurt you to buy something for once."
Yeah,well, that's true as well.
But still, ifs available for free, who isn't going to go for it?
FREE THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!
Apocalypse
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Apocalypse
July 28th, 2006 at 01:44pm
If I'd be against it, I'd be an hypocrite because I download quite a lot of music. I never downloaded a full album, just enough to give me a good idea if I like it or not. Anyway, when I don't have the REAL cd of one of my favorite bands, I feel bad. One day someone gave me a burned cd, it became my favorite and I loved the band, so I felt like shit for not having the real album and I bought it.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 28th, 2006 at 02:07pm
Apocalypse:
If I'd be against it, I'd be an hypocrite because I download quite a lot of music. I never downloaded a full album, just enough to give me a good idea if I like it or not. Anyway, when I don't have the REAL cd of one of my favorite bands, I feel bad. One day someone gave me a burned cd, it became my favorite and I loved the band, so I felt like shit for not having the real album and I bought it.
it wouldn't make you a hypocrite, expecially if you're using it the correct way

I download music all the time
expecially since I'm into bands that are so underground it's impossible to find their actual CDs
I only download the stuff until I find the CD (or cassette in a lot of cases) and then I can delete the stuff

so yeah, 99.5% of people use it wrong...I'm not one of them and neither is Apocalypse
suzie_k
suzie_k
July 28th, 2006 at 02:18pm
I tend not to download.
I like to have the CD.
I like to look at the inserts and the artwork.
And that is pretty much how I decide what to buy aswell.
If it looks interesting I'll buy it.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
July 28th, 2006 at 02:22pm
it depends on who i'm downloading from
some bands i like don't have an actual cd or i can't get the cd so i'll download it from their myspace or something ... but they are putting that option so people can take it

other than that i buy from itunes

when it comes to burned cds , my brother's girlfriend burned me MSI , and i love it ... i don't feel 'bad' about it
White Riot
White Riot
July 28th, 2006 at 03:07pm
Viva La Stupid:
it depends on who i'm downloading from
some bands i like don't have an actual cd or i can't get the cd so i'll download it from their myspace or something ... but they are putting that option so people can take it

And that's a good way to use it. *coughcoughyouguysshouldcheckoutCarbon/Siliconcoughcough*
Also,when its a band that is no longer around or the members are dead, and you download their music for free, then theres no harm in that. Only the stupid companies are getting profit from it.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 28th, 2006 at 08:32pm
Put it this way:
You're an artist. You make music, you love doing that. You put a lot of effort into making music, and you expect to get something back from that right?. Capitalism dictates that to live you need money, no matter how much you love making music. But people taking your music for free disrupts that.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 28th, 2006 at 10:03pm
Bloodraine:
Put it this way:
You're an artist. You make music, you love doing that. You put a lot of effort into making music, and you expect to get something back from that right?. Capitalism dictates that to live you need money, no matter how much you love making music. But people taking your music for free disrupts that.
you know full well that musicians make little to no money off of recordings
they make money from touring and making appearences

the record companies make money off of the recordings
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
July 28th, 2006 at 10:23pm
spill_no_sick:
Bloodraine:
Put it this way:

Well, yeah, its more like they give you money to record the album, and you have to pay them back that loan.

Also, it depends if you actually were on a record lable or not, you know? There are many bands that actually record and market their albums themselves, they organise shows, they organise the appearences. They get all the money from that. Like, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that was John Butler did?

I only download to listen to a song, to see if I like it. I will then buy the album, if I do like it, if I do not, I simply delete the song.

Buying CDs makes me happy. Like, I buy a CD, or a few, and I walk out of the store all happy cause I just bought a CD.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 28th, 2006 at 10:29pm
Coff:
spill_no_sick:
Bloodraine:
Put it this way:

Well, yeah, its more like they give you money to record the album, and you have to pay them back that loan.

Also, it depends if you actually were on a record lable or not, you know? There are many bands that actually record and market their albums themselves, they organise shows, they organise the appearences. They get all the money from that. Like, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that was John Butler did?

I only download to listen to a song, to see if I like it. I will then buy the album, if I do like it, if I do not, I simply delete the song.

Buying CDs makes me happy. Like, I buy a CD, or a few, and I walk out of the store all happy cause I just bought a CD.
that's the purpous of file sharing
but any band that's famous enough to where file sharing effects them, they're on a major lable
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
July 28th, 2006 at 10:35pm
Nope, John Butler Trio are pretty big.. at least here he is, so yeah. And also, Ben Lee, not that I like him, I actually think he is a really big tool, but anyways, he is on an independant label and he is huge.

There are a lot of bands in Australia that a lot of people like and they download their music, and they are on independant labels, or they release it themselves. It affects them.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 28th, 2006 at 10:37pm
Coff:
Nope, John Butler Trio are pretty big.. at least here he is, so yeah. And also, Ben Lee, not that I like him, I actually think he is a really big tool, but anyways, he is on an independant label and he is huge.

There are a lot of bands in Australia that a lot of people like and they download their music, and they are on independant labels, or they release it themselves. It affects them.
it does effect indie bands more if that's what your whole point was about
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
July 28th, 2006 at 10:42pm
No, you said "any band that's famous enough to where file sharing effects them, they're on a major lable" and I was saying "well, no, there are a lot of bands over here that are big, and aren't on major labels, and filesharing does affect them"
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 28th, 2006 at 10:45pm
let me restate it then
"bands on major lables aren't effected"
"bands on no lable aren't effected"
"indie bands are effected"
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 28th, 2006 at 10:47pm
spill_no_sick:
Bloodraine:
Put it this way:

And how do you propose they tour without recording anything, anyway?
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 28th, 2006 at 10:52pm
Bloodraine:
spill_no_sick:
Bloodraine:
Put it this way:

And how do you propose they tour without recording anything, anyway?
recognition
recognition gets you the tour

and since when am I the guy defending stealing music?
I'm not for it, I'm just trying to dispel rumors about it
you know, that's what I do, I say, "just because it's bad doesn't mean you should believe everything bad thing you hear about it, and just because it's bad doesn't make it right to exaggerate or flat out lie about it to make it seem worse"
Register