Do you think talking online is as dangerous as people think

AuthorMessage
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
December 11th, 2005 at 09:36pm
You can't say talking online is dangerous. Because for people who protect themselves, it isn't. If people are stupid enough to give their name, phone number, address, age, school, etc..., to a stranger on AIM or MSN or YIM, then, yes, it COULD be dangerous. But people also make it out like: 'Everybody you don't know for a fact is someone you know personally is a middle-aged stalker rapist' which also isn't true.
xXxBlushxXx
Jackass
xXxBlushxXx
December 12th, 2005 at 03:08pm
I talk to loads of people online.
But Id never never never ever go and meet someone.
Too many horror stories.
*meggy72*wants2bminority
Geek
*meggy72*wants2bminority
December 12th, 2005 at 09:01pm
actually, no, i dont think its dangerous! i talk online all the time ... havent been kidnapped or anything! im fine... seriously, my parents are all like, 'NO MEGAN! don't go and talk online ... then people will know where u live and try and hurt you!' hehe... as long as i dont give away TOO personal info, like my phone number and street address, im fine... my parents dont trust me, and they think the whole world is a bunch of crazy ppl coming to get me or something - they watch the news too much... Rolling Eyes
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
December 12th, 2005 at 09:54pm
*meggy72*wants2bminority:
actually, no, i dont think its dangerous! i talk online all the time ... havent been kidnapped or anything! im fine... seriously, my parents are all like, 'NO MEGAN! don't go and talk online ... then people will know where u live and try and hurt you!' hehe... as long as i dont give away TOO personal info, like my phone number and street address, im fine... my parents dont trust me, and they think the whole world is a bunch of crazy ppl coming to get me or something - they watch the news too much... Rolling Eyes

Actually, it can be VERY dangerous.
Not everybody who talks online is kidnapped or stalked, if that were the case, every human between the ages of 11-25 with a computer would have been kidnapped or something else.
Actually, if someone wanted to, you wouldn't be fine. All you have to do is hack to get someones number, address, etc...,
There's a difference between trust and protection.
And lastly, the world is a bunch of crazy P-E-O-P-L-E. No human being is sane, and lots of people are REALLY fucked up, so it's not really an issue to be taking as lightly as you're taking it.
neil patrick harris.
Jackass
neil patrick harris.

Blog
December 12th, 2005 at 11:59pm
I honestly think it's ok to chat online, you just have to be careful and not give out to much personal information.
well.durr__hXc™
King For A Couple Of Days
well.durr__hXc™
December 13th, 2005 at 12:22am
Well it matters on what site and it matters on a lot of stuff. But you should always be aware of your surroundings.

And its really dangerous, too. But all of you should know that...right?
*unwanted*
Jackass
*unwanted*
December 13th, 2005 at 08:07am
No I don't think it's dangerous just talking to them..
but as soon as you feel that the other person is crossing a line, then it's sertainly uncomfortable..
Cheech.
Cheech.
December 13th, 2005 at 09:32am
Well it depends on if you stupd enough to meet the person... sure if its a friend friend... but not just someone who says there this and that...
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
December 14th, 2005 at 10:51am
It can be. I was stalked online by an online predator and I was extremely messed up at the time and gave out my personal information. So, I know first hand that it can go down the wrong lane.

However, I have lots of people I talk to online and I give out typical bland information, like 'I live in Nebraska', 'my town is small', that sort of thing

I have a really good friend online who has sent me his phone number and we've talked on the phone, but that's a decision you have to be mature enough to make. We've known each other for over six months and there's never been a single inconsistensy or character change in anything he's said, so I trust him.

Just use common sense online and if something's too good to be true, it might be.
Charlie!
Falling In Love With The Board
Charlie!
December 14th, 2005 at 11:51am
I think you just have to be careful.

My friend talked to a boy online a lot, he is a very shy and doesn't find it that easy to talk to other people at school so when this guy befriended him he told him all these things, then this guy told him that he went into chatrooms, posed as a girl, and got boys to do things on webcam for him.

But then again I have another friend who met a boy in a chatroom, she gave him her mobile number and they spoke loads over the period of about 2-3 weeks then she met him, and he was such a nice guy.

Of course you should be aware that people do this sort of thing, but don't think everyone is going to be a pervert.
geekoll
Geek
geekoll
December 14th, 2005 at 11:56am
It can be okay. I'm relaxed if I have seen photos and such, but I do know that they may not actually be them, but it does decrease the chances. I sometimes don't like speaking to people from Aberdeen [where I live] as they are more like "Where you going this Saturday?" and I think they may actually turn up. I'd rather speak to someone far away.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
December 15th, 2005 at 05:04am
Don't give out any important details about yourself (duh) and I think it can be quite safe. I mean, I've been on this site 5 months and nothing dangerous has happened.
But some people are smart. They can hack well and will access your info without you even knowing.
This could just be me being paranoid. I'm good at it. But better safe than sorry.
She123
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
She123
January 15th, 2006 at 01:25am
Sites like these are fine, and most people are smart enough to handle talking to strangers. But do any of you have a Nexopia account?! Some people on there have a picture, name, DOB, city and school. So really someone could find you so easily when you're stupid enough to put that kind of information out into the web.
LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
January 15th, 2006 at 01:51am
She123:
Sites like these are fine, and most people are smart enough to handle talking to strangers. But do any of you have a Nexopia account?! Some people on there have a picture, name, DOB, city and school. So really someone could find you so easily when you're stupid enough to put that kind of information out into the web.
i have one.
man that place is wack.
people are crazy there, and the meanest i've EVER talked to.
so anyway taht place is dangerous so dnt ever give out any exploitatious material.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
January 15th, 2006 at 03:06am
If people are stupid enough to give their details out to strangers, then ha ha @ them.
Myla
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Myla
January 15th, 2006 at 09:57am
*unwanted*:
No I don't think it's dangerous just talking to them..
but as soon as you feel that the other person is crossing a line, then it's sertainly uncomfortable..

I agree Very Happy
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
January 15th, 2006 at 10:21am
I don't think it is, if you're in danger then changes are you put yourself in the position. If you're dumb enough to ignore all the warnings about giving out your address and meeting up with people then its not no ones fault but your own.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 15th, 2006 at 10:21am
Pffft
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
January 15th, 2006 at 10:34am
Nine_Inch_Nails:
Pffft

Laughing good answer